[account deactivated]
lol conec you and your sh`d
U. N. Ur. sh`d.

drwhat posted:

getfiscal posted:

drwhat, you're smart and employed, tell me what i should be doing as a job, based on what you know about me. wait before you say something mean please uhh don't be mean.

the smart thing is fake. actually it's all fake. this is the skill that underlies all jobs/skills, being able to fake it (but thank you for the compliment anyway)

i think you should have a job where you are paid to write intellectual things. i have said this before, like over and over every time you post about it. you write things that are very comprehensible and you're able to translate completely esoteric concepts into things that i think almost any interested person could understand. you have a very broad set of knowledge that lets you see the big picture of things. it's good shit.

you could try these guys. what's the worst that could happen
http://www.stratfor.com/about/careers#MEA

or send these guys a thing
http://www.geopoliticalmonitor.com/write-for-us/

or idk something like that. i'm serious, though

well, I finally found the cia guy here. And he doesn't even know hes le cia *julian assange trollface*

getfiscal i still say maintain an econ blog. thats real good on a cv if youre looking at school or whatever, every econ prof has a crappy blog now and your blog would also be good. maybe you dont want to go to school anymore idk.

c_man posted:

fringus do an Effort Post on microfinance

this would be cool BUT. the "comment collection" or "post à clef" ius now an accepted form of writing thanks to Gawker. so I want to say getfiscal could also let someone put all his posts together on one page, with HR lines between them, and maybe bring in some from other threads and make a microfinance thing that could go on the front page and be linked, without writing anything new.

for that matter i think getfical should go through all his threads & posts since 2011 when he has free time, or even SA posts, and pull together good ones, even ones where hes changed his mind since, or funny ones that arent economics, and piut them all together in the raw like aphorisms, or vonnegut style, as a Book manuscript. like that twitter book only good, and like as an auto-ethnography(??) of a leftist economics guy in discussion with others, and he could title it, "GET FISCAL", because its hard to do better than that, and pitch it, or do that rip off self-publish, and have a Book. because why let that stuff languish.

conec posted:

poop

actually sometimes i worry that in ten years i'll be a professor of theology in munich or something and someone from wddp with a really bad haircut will show up and just dump a soiled bundle of posts on my superior's desk and he'll be like hey don umm we don't expect moral perfection from our professors these days but it says here you were elated when 9/11 happened and that you considered fail aids both funny and acceptable. i'm going to have to ask you to clean out your locker and go back to living in mom's basement forever.
i think the beauty of doing it across years is that you can have an intro and be like, "my views have evolved over the years, to probably supremely agreeing with yours My Reader. i include these things here because i am a reality TV star whose screw ups are cool and forgiven"

getfiscal posted:

actually sometimes i worry that in ten years i'll be a professor of theology in munich or something and someone from wddp with a really bad haircut will show up and just dump a soiled bundle of posts on my superior's desk and he'll be like hey don umm we don't expect moral perfection from our professors these days but it says here you were elated when 9/11 happened and that you considered fail aids both funny and acceptable. i'm going to have to ask you to clean out your locker and go back to living in mom's basement forever.

in ten years all professors will be guilty of shitposting and a fail aids survivor. this is the modern world

anyway yeah obviously there are horrible problems with strategic intelligence companies, and with whatever bullshit websites, but I really don't give a shit what the associated problems are if someone pays gf to write more about things

or can we just start getfiscal quarterly and have a website w/subscriptions. ill make the website
i will buy getfiscals book of posts. who will buy getfiscals book of posts
to be honest i like telling my internet friends little things i find clever but i don't chase after a broader audience. i also don't really think i have long elaborate things to say about most issues. i mean i could probably write a good article about cuba's economic reforms with a lot of homework but to be a freelancer you have to churn out a huge volume of 'content'. i mean if i wrote a few good articles a year and they were printed in canadian left magazines it would be a few hundred dollars.

getfiscal posted:

back in the lf days i shared this concern for a little bit then i imagined maggotmaster trying to convince a dean that im a nazi and i dont think its anything that a shrug and a derisive laugh can't take care of

Ha! Nine-eleven... that left me positively elated.

getfiscal posted:

to be honest i like telling my internet friends little things i find clever but i don't chase after a broader audience. i also don't really think i have long elaborate things to say about most issues. i mean i could probably write a good article about cuba's economic reforms with a lot of homework but to be a freelancer you have to churn out a huge volume of 'content'. i mean if i wrote a few good articles a year and they were printed in canadian left magazines it would be a few hundred dollars.

well you dont have to pitch it, but you could take a couple days and put your good posts together, self-selected, and self publish like ten (10) copies of "GET FISCAL" through one of those "houses", and have an object to admire or maybe use as a pitch later, and then you can say to others or yourself in the mirror, "yeah i have a Book, its collected work of my online presence on microfinance and economics and it has jokes in it ... its weird i admit, like hit book Freakonomics except one of those cutting edge things like tao lin. i talk on twitter with those guys sometimes and..."

i just know you have a books worth of quality content already created, easily, (unlike say me on the same forums) and the game no longer demands you do anything except stick it together with 2-3 lines on every page so eveyrone knows they can eat it in little bites of content, and add the baring myself to the nonexistent cameras angle, then you have a book. So. little. work. needed.

why dont you do it daddyholes
so do we all just chart chanting louder and louder until he gives in and makes a livejournal or something cause that always worked in college

babyfinland posted:

why dont you do it daddyholes

i will for his posts if he wont and hes okay with it.

i would have to sign up for something awful again probably and pay money for archives again etc but im down.

drwhat posted:

the smart thing is fake. actually it's all fake. this is the skill that underlies all jobs/skills, being able to fake it (but thank you for the compliment anyway)

ive started arguing to people that being smart is a non-concept. almost all of the time, smart is what you call someone when they can do something and you don't really understand how they did it.

i would probably be really uncomfortable with you doing that. i find it really flattering but yeah. also i need most of the material for the far future when i'm in my elvis of cultural theory phase and recycle everything a few times through verso.

getfiscal posted:

i would probably be really uncomfortable with you doing that. i find it really flattering but yeah. also i need most of the material for the far future when i'm in my elvis of cultural theory phase and recycle everything a few times through verso.

oh shut up donald let him do it

c_man posted:

drwhat posted:

ive started arguing to people that being smart is a non-concept. almost all of the time, smart is what you call someone when they can do something and you don't really understand how they did it.

my friend says stuff like that except he says it means someone who agrees with you haha

ok. okay. i will give daddyholes permission. i appreciate you doing this daddyholes. i have a few conditions:

1. leave out stuff about family and sexuality and friends and shit. anything that would bring me shame in the eyes of my father.

2. please do a pretty good job. please don't half-ass it.

3. you are encouraged to try to sell it online for a small fee. i have no idea who would want to buy it but if impper can sell rape novels then my much more interesting posts about small loans to bangladeshis could net like $20 or so. you can handle that stuff and all i ask is that you send me half if it nets over $100, and i will put every cent of it into my niece's college fund. hopefully she'll go to a college that costs $50.
ok. if people have links to good posts please pm them to me.
are there any good old SA threads i need to hit too. HK im looking at you.
getfiscal would it be all right if i made a thread for people to link to good posts of yours. jokers will probably attempt to hate in it but i thin kthat would be good. if not thats cool too i can do the research myself.
my first account on SA was renamed to 'getfiscally' if that helps. getfiscal is a newer account and probably has most of the LF posts. most of those are probably bad though.

daddyholes posted:

getfiscal would it be all right if i made a thread for people to link to good posts of yours. jokers will probably attempt to hate in it but i thin kthat would be good. if not thats cool too i can do it myself.

you can do whatever you feel is right to make this happen. it's a charitable project now so haters vacate

babyfinland posted:

c_man posted:

drwhat posted:

my friend says stuff like that except he says it means someone who agrees with you haha

i do somethin similar inasmuch as i consider people "funny" if they laugh at the things i say and do

c_man posted:

drwhat posted:

Any sufficiently advanced ideology is indistinguishable from magic.

Superabound posted:

c_man posted:

drwhat posted:

Any sufficiently advanced ideology is indistinguishable from magic.

so does this mean that siegfried and roy are theorybro fascists or what

babyfinland posted:

back in the lf days i shared this concern for a little bit then i imagined maggotmaster trying to convince a dean that im a nazi and i dont think its anything that a shrug and a derisive laugh can't take care of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqkHPsY8p84

Do you reckon major index funds set for maturity ~2050 will average above 4%/year or should I pay down my mortgage? (No prepaid penalty & tax break from paying usury is not crazy substantial)

Everything I read says to invest in imperial index funds versus paying off mortgage sooner but I attribute most of my success to doing the opposite of what my fail dad said was smart.

NounsareVerbs posted:

Do you reckon major index funds set for maturity ~2050 will average above 4%/year or should I pay down my mortgage? (No prepaid penalty & tax break from paying usury is not crazy substantial)

Everything I read says to invest in imperial index funds versus paying off mortgage sooner but I attribute most of my success to doing the opposite of what my fail dad said was smart.

if you think that the era of zero interest will continue for the lifetime of whatever scenario you're talking about, ignore your mortgage as much as possible, they gave you free money

if you don't think zero percent will last for that entire time and you have a variable rate mortgage and you don't think your eventual income will compensate for how hard you'll get fucked when the rate is high, then you should try to pay it off before the fucking happens

if you have a fixed low rate then also ignore it

index funds will definitely average more than 4%.Everything averages more than 4%. With only a little risk you can get 10 even in "recessionary" periods.

otoh capitalism will end. funnel your cash into real useful things and squat in your house and ignore all legal action

is it weird that whenever anyone displays even a rudimentary understanding of stocks/investments and their accompanying terminology, my hand starts shaking and uncontrollably reaching for their throats like Dr. Strangeloves

Superabound posted:

is it weird that whenever anyone displays even a rudimentary understanding of stocks/investments and their accompanying terminology, my hand starts shaking and uncontrollably reaching for their throats like Dr. Strangeloves

no, mine too. that's why i wear this glove and tie it to my chair

Superabound posted:

that's the healthy response

Goon Project Let's Make a Rhizzone Hedge Fund