im reading hobsbawm. Age of evolution slew and was a breeze to read since he's a good writer. moving onto age of capital, hopeful,y the goodies win this time
Troof and Revolution: The $ojourner Truth Org p. 51

referring to 'going down to the factories'

The first part of building an industrial concentration was obtaining
employment in the chosen factories. This was not always easy, especially
for middle-class radicals with years of university experience in their recent
past. Lies had to be told, job applications had to be fudged, and eyebrow-
raising aspects of personal histories had to be rewritten for the benefit of
hiring agents. When John Strucker, for example, applied for work at the
Stewart-Warner factory, he needed to explain away the seven years he had
spent pursuing his undergraduate and masters degrees full time. He con-
cocted an elaborate tale, wherein he had completed high school but then
had been obligated to take over the family hardware store in New Jersey
when his father became ill. Being good with his hands but not much as
a manager, the store had struggled for several years and eventually went
under, after which he had headed to Chicago in search of factory jobs.
This story was good enough to get him work as a lathe operator, a posi-
tion he held for more than a decade. Early on, however, he was identi-
fied as a trouble-maker, and the company eventually researched his back
story. Once they determined that no such hardware store had ever existed,
management attempted to fire him. With help from STO’s contingent of
lawyers, Strucker appealed his case to the National Labor Relations Board
(NLRB). Upon consideration, the NLRB ruled in his favor, noting that
although he had in fact lied on his job application, he had lied “down,”
underplaying his credentials rather than overstating them.

Edited by stegosaurus ()

kyle, i finished reading that bromma book you recommended. it was good. i liked how it focused on the 'pivot to asia' sort of shift of new middle classes, although the notes are more like a 'maybe people should look into this' sort of thing than a full argument.

also i'm not sure 'middle class' is really a class in a marxist sense. there's something here that bothers me about this, like, there some sort of mix of privilege theory and marxism happening. as in, treating class as a matter of competing groups with different levels of consumption, rather than capital versus labour. i haven't read the two main books bromma recommends to explain this division though (settlers and divided world).

Gibbonstrength posted:

im reading hobsbawm. Age of evolution slew and was a breeze to read since he's a good writer. moving onto age of capital, hopeful,y the goodies win this time

the cool thing about his short 20th century book is that he never once mentions freud

i just read bernhard's Correction. it was about an academic guy that built the perfect Cone in the exact center of a forest for his sister to live in and be happy. of course the Cone was perfect and it killed her, so our protagonist then kills himself. spoiler alert: the ultimate correction is suicide. it's pretty good andn very typical bernhard. good, dreary shit
cone status: slammed
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

so uh i guess this won't matter to anyone here probably but did you know that no one has published a new translation of the code of hammurabi in 110 years

fucked up if true

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
So i guess this wont matter to you insenstive pieces of SHIT but did you know that because of chinese people illegally throwing garbage into space an asteroid is about to crush us like ping pong balls in a crusher? If it were true, it would just go to prove how blind to the truth you fascists are.
[account deactivated]
wanna read pashukanis, havent read anything on marxism + law yet and he seems kind of essential. also really interested in the book that deniz gezmiş wrote but i dont think it's ever been translated difficult to find stuff on/by turkish marxists in general
Fuck spitler
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

CALISTOGA — Cars belong in driveways, streets and garages, not on front lawns, city officials agree.

The challenge is how to enforce existing ordinances or tighten the language to make enforcement tougher without creating “unintended consequences,” said Richard Spitler, city manager.

But lawn parking is bothersome to neighbors and already against municipal codes. In some residential areas of the city with smaller streets, such as Adele Street, parking on the street is limited and residents who have multiple cars per residence are prone to park their vehicles on the front lawn. Low, rolled curbs on those streets make it easier for cars to drive up on the lawn, too.

“It’s unsightly,” Spitler said.

“I used to live on Adele. The reason I don’t live there now is because of this issue. It chased me out of the neighborhood,” he said.

ah i see the pervasive insipidness of the midwest is already permeating your existence. flee while there is still hope

im reading crime and punishment improved where raskolnikov murders a despicable class enemy with an axe, and after some regrettable but necessary cleanup feels really great about himself and goes on to commit more acts of heroic revolutionary violence
like ok nice Words or whatever but theres a bunch of evidence ppl are capable of doing grotesque violent things that make their stomach turn and yet coming to terms with it afterwards if it was actually in a good cause lol
i just wrote a word on my dick and as soon as i can work out how to get an erection i am gonna read that shit
here u go

what's the porpoise?
http://pando.com/2014/09/25/ferguson-is-our-libertarian-moment-but-not-in-the-way-some-libertarians-want-you-to-believe/

mark ames wrote a good article (for real this time).

HenryKrinkle posted:

what's the porpoise?

that post is the Peak nyt from thre headline on down

HenryKrinkle posted:

http://pando.com/2014/09/25/ferguson-is-our-libertarian-moment-but-not-in-the-way-some-libertarians-want-you-to-believe/mark ames wrote a good article (for real this time).

im a sucker for ames libertarianism takedowns

the article he links re: nazi origin of the term "privatisation" is fairly fucken sick http://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.20.3.187

does anyone know a good Marxist critique/response to Foucault (specifically power/knowlege Discipline and Punish era stuff)
[account deactivated]

Neon_Night_Rider posted:

does anyone know a good Marxist critique/response to Foucault (specifically power/knowlege Discipline and Punish era stuff)

isabelle garo might be relevant if you know french

Neon_Night_Rider posted:

peter dews' logics of disintegration. he also attacks derrida and lacan.

the marxist response to foucault should be to expose and ultimately demonstrate the material reality of power
i don't think foucault's discourse on power & disciplines necessarily negates marxism. other than the nietzschean epistemology he uses to arrive at those narratives. many of the ideas are worth considering & keeping in mind when attempting to organize (communist) society imo
*gets shot with an arrow through the heart, astonished rhizzonites run up to my body and find a note attached to the shaft, it reads: REVISIONIST*
got it but i meant more like we should burn all his books and put his supporters on trial, when the good times roll of course
http://www.scribd.com/doc/240864422/Vice-Style-Guide

http://www.scribd.com/doc/233259974/Directorate-of-Intelligence-Style-Manual-Writers-Guide-for-Intelligence-Publications-Eighth-Edition-2011

two great tastes that go great together
i have been reading about german philosophy.
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

what do you find so violently objectionable about foucault

he was gay

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
foucalt my haters