a guy was in a parking lot in quebec and he spotted two soldiers so he drove over and swerved to hit them. one of the Troops died. the guy drove off and the police shot him "because he had a knife" obviously. anyway the guy was a convert to islam. he was being monitored by the police and they took away his passport. anyway the media and the government are flipping out at this "terrorist attack" when really it seems pretty damn lame.
seems pretty damn lame? oh? and how many troops have you got lately?
fuck they just took out like 25% of canada's ground forces!!! - john stewbart, the daily report
CBC is leaning pretty hard on an imagined ISIS connection ahahhahaha
it was assad.
damn they released footage of the guy

two independent MPs (one former bloc guy named jean-francois, another a former NDP guy named jean-francois) started a new party today. it's called "Forces et democratie", which means like Strength (Progress) and Democracy. the party will probably be bad because those guys are just normal social-democrats but it'll be interesting to see what sort of trouble they can cause. the NDP immediately said that the new party is a betrayal of recently dead former leader jack layton lol. jerks.
you were saying on fb that that name sucks and I agree. I was thinking, all these african parties are 'rally for this' and so forth and that would be cool, but then i looked up the french word for rally and it's rassemblement or something, which you mentioned in your post already lol.

stegosaurus posted:

you were saying on fb that that name sucks and I agree. I was thinking, all these african parties are 'rally for this' and so forth and that would be cool, but then i looked up the french word for rally and it's rassemblement or something, which you mentioned in your post already lol.

unfortunately the cool words are sort of tainted. i think "rally" would remind quebecers of gaullists because chirac's party was "rally for the republic". "front" would remind them of the FLQ radical group. "union" would remind them of a right-wing government from the 1950s. "coalition" is associated with a provincial politician and his third party.

*hoists banner of Omlette Du Fromagistes*

stegosaurus posted:

is that rass-emblement or r-assemblement

[account deactivated]

chickeon posted:

CBC is leaning pretty hard on an imagined ISIS connection ahahhahaha

Earlier this fall, an ISIS propaganda video called on the group’s followers to target people in a number of countries, including Canada.

It specifically suggested running people over with cars.

lol

getfiscal posted:

the FLQ

lets do it, we're bringin it back

jools was reading a thing that called the FLQ a false flag Gladio operation as part of the strategy of tension.... you never know lol
[account deactivated]
that one is so good

chickeon posted:

getfiscal posted:
the FLQ
lets do it, we're bringin it back

i'm in, i have some spare time

reading the Forces Et Democratie website it's the same bloc bullshit about "defending the interests of Quebec". I don't understand why these guys aren't doing the obvious thing of making a national party of MPs who are in favour of greater provincial autonomy and devolution across the board, you would get a ton of BC, Alberta and Quebec MPs together

I miss Duceppe, are there any old ex-marxists in parliament anymore
don't worry getfiscal, the RMN is an ally of Canada:
uripQcVGXn4
apparently there is some more stuff going on in canada? w/ the canadians??
Canadian parliament on lockdown after shooting – Canadian police say a gunman opened fire at Ottawa’s National War Memorial and is still at large.
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

FLQ false flag

I don't really buy that. I read a book from a tiny library in Niagara on the FLQ which said the RCMP set up a couple cells and planted a few bombs to discredit the movement. Including just about the only bystander killed. That makes more sense then creating a pretty popular group to what, discredit leftism? Arrest a relatively small number of individuals?

drwhat posted:

I miss Duceppe, are there any old ex-marxists in parliament anymore

well, PKP could run for PQ leader, if that counts.

for foreigners: pierre karl peladeau was a maoist who then inherited a bunch of wealth and ran quebec's largest media conglomerate. he is a nationalist and ran successfully as a candidate for the national assembly in quebec this year. however he refuses to sell his shares in quebecor, and during the election he gave a raised-fist salute and said he wanted his grandchildren to live in a free country, which scared a bunch of people who don't care about independence.
he also convinced the formerly-incumbent premier to promise that half of surpluses would go to tax cuts, which was a stupid last-ditch move which probably made them look even more desperate, especially since the PQ is supposed to be a social-democratic party yet it wasn't promising anything substantial on social programs and had in fact basically given up on changing anything yet again.
provincial politics are even less relevant to anything in the world than federal canadian politics. i just can't care

drwhat posted:

provincial politics are even less relevant to anything in the world than federal canadian politics. i just can't care

i care at the level of sports i guess. like i don't think it matters much in historical terms, but i find it fun to read about and laugh about. especially because in canada the politicians all seem like B-team types who are really bad at politics.

Red_Canadian posted:

getfiscal posted:
FLQ false flag

I don't really buy that. I read a book from a tiny library in Niagara on the FLQ which said the RCMP set up a couple cells and planted a few bombs to discredit the movement. Including just about the only bystander killed. That makes more sense then creating a pretty popular group to what, discredit leftism? Arrest a relatively small number of individuals?

i'm beginning to wonder if there has ever actually been a genuine popular anti-state movement that hasn't been sponsored by an existing state. the bolsheviks were probably bankrolled by the 22nd century cia using time machines

how does one evaluate the truth of anything in this environment
uhhhh

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/world/americas/canada-parliament-gunfire.html

donald!!! what are you doing?!!

Man, some guy called Rime is really destroying people on the Canadian politics thread in the bad place. Unfortunately his actions led to someone donating 10$ to the CIA.
if u post in this thread the RCMP will put you on a watchlist so be careful
the hashtag #CanadaStrong is now trending in toronto
i actually thought aerdil was joking and that was some crazy conspiracy video until i came back to this thread later in the day and noticed the url was real
harper sounded like he was going to cry at first in his national address and then he hardened up but he still sounded shaky so it undermined his soundbites which were "there will be no safe haven" and "canada will never be intimidated"
seeing all the cops and guns and hearing the smg fire in parliament kind of shook me tbh. ottawa is the most boring, safe, quaint place and i've wandered around the halls in centre block and probably you have too

and if me a dog learned english ahem sorry i mean and if me a rhizzone poster has that kind of reaction i'm pretty sure the Average Canadian reaction is going to be pretty intense. closing of the ranks etc.

watching the CBC coverage (which i haven't done in quite a while) i'm most struck by how capital-r Radicalization has become such a trigger word for the media. all of the stories about "who is this" and "how could this happen" and "will it happen again" revolved around how every terrorist is a nice happy well adjusted person until Spreaders Of Evil get to them, and then one day they are Radicalized, which means they are instantly transformed into uncomprehensible monsters who are only sated by killing. the transformation is irreverisible and inexplicable but has something to do with beards
yes. i've sat in the house before in model parliament, and people i've talked to today are pretty surprised and upset about it. i just talked to a person at subway and she said she has to take a double shift tomorrow because her manager drove to ottawa to be with his university-age kids. it doesn't affect me much but i get why people are upset.
i spent all day delivering flyers to happy blue collar homes in the Dufferin and Eglinton area and caring about none of this