http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/20/ted-cruz-invokes-cicero-to-knock-obama-on-immigrat/

“The words of Cicero — powerfully relevant 2,077 years later,” Mr. Cruz said, adapting the words slightly for his immediate purposes.

“What? Shall we, who are the Senate, tolerate President Obama, openly desirous to destroy the constitution and this republic?” Mr. Cruz said.

“For we have a resolution of the Senate, a formidable and authoritative decree against you, Mr. President; the wisdom of the republic is not at fault, nor the dignity of this senatorial body,” he said. “We, we alone — I say it openly — we, the Senate, are waiting in our duty to stop this lawless administration and its unconstitutional amnesty.”

glad to see the wise words of the romans echoing the halls of government once again

O tempora, o mores!

im gonna watch this whole thing. i love highschool debate club.
I wish we lived under a dictatorship
[account deactivated]

wasted posted:

O tempora, o mores!

o don piano!

the catiline orations were directed against someone trying to overthrow and replace the sitting leader of a republic lol
"put people like ted cruz to death without trial" -cicero unironically
does the rise of scientific reverence signal the death of rhetoric?
god i remember cicero and debate. so long ago.

glad i grew up, eh lykourgos
what do you know about the classics
do you even latin bro
"teh." —Marcus Tullius Cicero
who's playing lykourgos today. places everybody this isn't a mall. lights

guidoanselmi posted:

god i remember cicero and debate. so long ago.

glad i grew up, eh lykourgos

or rather you never made it to adulthood, where we play dress-ups in robes and wigs and argue all day forever in courts of law