In Graphic Photos and On Twitter, ISIS Members Record and Tout Executions of Gay Men

Jacob Siegel posted:

The attacks, which also include the stoning of an adulterer, appear to have taken place in Mosul and were distributed by ISIS social media accounts.
These are obscene images. They depict two men thrown from the roof of a building as a crowd watches them fall to their deaths, and they purport to show the Islamic State (or ISIS) carrying out public executions before an audience in Iraq’s Nineveh province.

The two victims’ alleged crimes? They are believed to be gay. In another photo, woman accused of being an adulterer is stoned to death, and two men charged with thievery are bound to crucifixes. Victims are commonly crucified, sometimes after they have been killed, in ISIS public executions.

In these photos, ISIS members in black facemasks appear to shoot the crucified men from behind at point blank range as an audience of who appear to be local Iraqis looks on.

ISIS-affiliated social media feeds began spreading the images Thursday. Those accounts linked to a justpasteit.com file attributed to the “Information Office of the mandate of Nineveh,” an apparent propaganda arm tied to Islamic state press releases. The public executions appear to have taken place in Mosul, the capital of the Islamic State and Iraq’s second largest city sits in Nineveh province.

In areas of Iraq and Syria where ISIS has taken over, public executions are common. They have been a staple of the group’s puritanical interpretation of Islamic law since before it took control of Mosul and declared itself the Calpihate, or Islamic State.

In “Profiling the Islamic State” Charles Lister of the Brookings Institute’s Doha Center writes about ISIS’ version of Islamic governance:

“The implementation of a strict form of sharia law is clearly central to IS’s governance,” he writes. “This includes imposing the hudud (fixed Islamic punishments for serious crimes); enforcing attendance of the five daily prayers; banning drugs, alcohol, and tobacco; controlling personal appearance, including clothing; forbidding gambling, non-Islamic music, and gender mixing; and ordering the destruction of religious shrines, among other rules.” http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Research/Files/Reports/2014/11/profiling%20islamic%20state%20lister/en_web_lister.pdf

Public executions in ISIS controlled areas enforce the group’s version of Sharia Law and serve to terrorize locals into strict obedience. Elsewhere, ISIS has used the tactic to intimidate its rivals.

Death is shown in high resolution—the killing carefully composed inside the frame. These images belong to a deliberate social media and information strategy. Like all good Internet propaganda the images are made to be readily “shareable” and appear to have been released with the intent that they travel to a broader audience. It worked. Obscene and merciless, it’s a reflection of the state of life under ISIS rule.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/16/in-graphic-videos-and-on-twitter-isis-members-record-and-tout-executions-of-gay-men.html

rnLdKzEDqZU
it's probably really exciting to throw a guy off a building. a jerk move though.
http://pando.com/2014/09/03/the-war-nerd-the-long-twisted-history-of-beheadings-as-propaganda/

I was reading this war nerd about killing prisoners and reminding us that everybody acting aghast at "war crimes" is a pretty recent phenomenon, and i think that the fact that it arises at the same time as bluewater imperialism is not a coincidence
he says it's because they might "arouse pity" but that's a little too simple, you can always come up with an excuse to hate and want to kill the tribe next door, but if you're floating ten thousand miles away to people who didn't even know you existed you need to position yourself as the good guy
You start out in 1900 by saying, “savage, savage, savage.” By 1950 you can't say “savage” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like "civilizing mission" and free markets and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now you're talking about women's education, and all these things you're talking about are totally domestic things and a byproduct of them is they get bombed worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the imperial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to have women's education” is much more abstract than even the free markets thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “savage, savage.”
god damn C_man

c_man posted:

You start out in 1900 by saying, “savage, savage, savage.” By 1950 you can't say “savage” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like "civilizing mission" and free markets and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now you're talking about women's education, and all these things you're talking about are totally domestic things and a byproduct of them is they get bombed worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the imperial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to have women's education” is much more abstract than even the free markets thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “savage, savage.”

I found a video of ISIS's leader and a list of her demands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSOMA3QBU0

My favorite part of this video is when she kills the Pharoah that brought her a pyramid of gold in tribute and then walks to the top of it, goes full aryan in a transformation, and then ascends to the stars as the personification of ISIS.