But it's also possible that, just as many dated styles come back into vogue eventually, unions have taken on a kind of retro cool among the youth of today. And corporations that depend on attracting that demographic -- both as a workforce and as a readership -- might figure that trying to bust a union could pose too great a risk to their brand.
We probably don't live in the worst of all possible worlds but we do live in the most pathetic and absurd of all possible worlds
good follow up from nytimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/15/nyregion/at-gawker-media-new-economy-workers-strive-to-form-a-new-kind-of-union.html
No pricey pension plans, some argued. No promotions based solely on seniority. No set hours for a given workweek. No prohibitions against layoffs.

“We all looked at unions of the past, and that wasn’t what we wanted,” said Michael Ballaban, 27, a staff writer at Jalopnik, a car site, who ticked off a few of the no-nos. “We all recognize that layoffs can be an essential part of a company’s survival.”
I read an article about this a month or two ago. Also NPR did a segment on why it's important to give your employees lunch breaks, it makes them more productive. The Rhizz should be utilized to find an intersection between productivity and employee well being (and necessary lay offs)
I've been going through the motions of getting a diagnosis for Asperger's and I've realised the "topic I have to force myself to shut up about or I'll scare the normies" is Marxism-Leninism

getfiscal posted:

No pricey pension plans, some argued. No promotions based solely on seniority. No set hours for a given workweek. No prohibitions against layoffs.

“We all looked at unions of the past, and that wasn’t what we wanted,” said Michael Ballaban, 27, a staff writer at Jalopnik, a car site, who ticked off a few of the no-nos. “We all recognize that layoffs can be an essential part of a company’s survival.”

ahahahah

we noticed that unions of hte past werent Awesome enough. so we made a few changes , which we hope will result in a buzzworthy, viral, upvote, hashtag, millenial, cronut, s u s t a i n a b i li ty, Online Commerce, organi c ..,++ ,. health consciencej .. .Eco-... Eco-... EcoFriendl, friend request, update, mo,m, i'm sorr,y, i know you dont understand what im saying right now but this is the best for both of us, my medium dot com article i posted after my editor at splizzqueese dot co rejected my pitch for gender reasons is blowing up right now and i need to get to new york city to network with my fellow young creatives and i simply can not stay in this backwater anylonger that is why you need to sell the house and give me a little just a little money we're talking 30 grand or so so that i can rent an apartment or bounce around airbnb making tweets and writing listicles and posting content about the amorphous celebrity class which controls our dreams so that i might get a staff writing position at a website that has existed for 2 years and will exist for 3 more no dont worry they have a union with such demands as "There Must be a granola snack tray in the commons area every third wednesday" and " voucher for local LA fitness" an nd"must not be forced t o respond to more than 200 comments in the comment section " mom why are you crying god damnit no im not going back to school i did that shit i told you i cant be an english teacher i have social anixiety the last thing i want is to end up taking care of those fucking asshole hicks who bullied me in high school's kids..,3i, Share Comment Like Reblog, advertise terms of service about copyright donate subcribe help help he

Edited by piss ()

getfiscal posted:

Look we want little laminated cards with our name on them and the name of a union and maybe like an eagle holding a pickaxe as well. For that we are willing to pay up to, but not more than, 28 dollars a month.

getfiscal posted:

see, i TOLD you vaccines cause Austism! even metaphorical ones!

you say layoff, i say extended vacay
*jeb lund lets out a sigh of relief*
*face turns into goo*
Writers don't produce surplus value, like cops or teachers or retail workers, and therefore their labour can't be a site of organizing (though they can support other workers in solidarity).

swirlsofhistory posted:

Writers don't produce surplus value, like cops or teachers or retail workers, and therefore their labour can't be a site of organizing (though they can support other workers in solidarity).

office nerd false meme:

bolshevik organizing among soldiers was quite crucial to their victory by paralyzing the provisional government's defencism.

wait isnt that true

Themselves posted:

wait isnt that true

yes but jacobin readers aren't war-weary conscripts

Panopticon posted:

Themselves posted:

wait isnt that true

yes but jacobin readers aren't war-weary conscripts

patience....

if swirls' argument is that you cant organize writers because they dont produce surplus value then it wouldnt matter if theres other differences between conscripts and writers because it would still violate the argument!

Themselves posted:

wait isnt that true

Dwight was a productive proletariat; Jim and Pam were unproductive labor aristocrats who got better treatment from the bourgeois Michael despite always screwing around and making life difficult for Dwight.
Actually you're wrong getfiscal, strikes by the civil service and bank workers in the first months Bolshevik power were the impetus for the creation of the cheka.

prisoncensorship.info/archive/etext/.../originsofcheka.html

I didn't say they won over everyone you nimrod!!!
lenin didn't need the cheka to convince russian soldiers that imperialist war was really shitty and to mutiny against their officers
I never expected to actually cry over a video game announcement, but there I was, literally fucking breathless with tears streaming down my face from overwhelming joy. Shenmue was such an important game to me growing up. It's something I've replayed constantly throughout my life, finding new things every single playthrough. Both Shenmue 1 and 2 are some of the finest, well-crafted, highly-detailed game worlds to this day, and I never thought I'd ever see a third game come to life. But here we are, now living in a world in which Shenmue 3 is a reality. Am I bummed that it's a Kickstarter game? Yes. Do I have doubts that it won't live up to expectation, or that they might fail to deliver like so many other gaming Kickstarters? Of course. But for now, I'm just so happy that Yu Suzuki, a true goddamn gaming legend, gets to finish a story he's wanted to tell for over 17 years now. For now, I can put aside my doubts and support a game I've been waiting most of my life to see. I hope you can too.

getfiscal posted:

I didn't say they won over everyone you nimrod!!!

its cool to me that "nimrod" was just a weird biblical superhero hunter until bugs bunny called elmer fudd that and it became an insult

actually it was contemporary slang for idiot when bugs bunny was made, you nimrod!
what a maroon
goatstein please change the average color of your avatar. i keep peripherally mistaking you for merzbow
nincumpoop

Panopticon posted:

I've been going through the motions of getting a diagnosis for Asperger's and I've realised the "topic I have to force myself to shut up about or I'll scare the normies" is Marxism-Leninism

...f-f-foucault...was...r-right???

company i work for voted 2 unionize but non e of us knew what a union was so idk what s happening now

getfiscal posted:

He's correct in the context of the modern international capitalist structure.

Industry in the US is being (has been) re-organized into smaller shops which make unionization much more difficult on a large scale and allows easier control of prices/labour while saving in capital investment for corporations. Unionization to any significant degree only exists in large legacy shops which are of course dead or dying. Now your shop can just be closed without incurring any major loss to the buyer, which is where all this weird crap about "startup" factories and re-industrialization of the North come from.
I guess this thread is actually about fruity writers unionizing into weird social clubs but whatever, chill atmosphere in here.