i've been reading the death of virgil. Someone at the rhizzone recommended it a couple years ago, but I never got around to it.

ArisVelouchiotis posted:

i've been reading the death of virgil. Someone at the rhizzone recommended it a couple years ago, but I never got around to it.

you've been conned, he died ages ago, you couldn't kill him even if you tried

the mystery man who runs rhizzone_txt gave me access to it so i guess if anyone wants me to share some good 'zzone posts thru it please send me links.
please use this power with great care
if theres one man I'd trust... it would be u krinks
just make it a script that reposts my posts

NoFreeWill posted:

cata posted:

.custom286101{}NoFreeWill posted:stegosaurus posted:

.custom285929{}NoFreeWill posted:stego u should give them this when it comes out which everyone should read

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1924-capitalism-in-the-web-of-lifethis looks sick

i'm excited. also semiotics is garbage

how so

it mistakes the map for the territory and makes mountains out of molehills. and it's straight

I guess I would need a more in-depth explanation of how it commits this fallacy.

I started reading about semiotics since it seemed to me that one would need to be familiar with it to be able to make their way through the concepts of postmodernism and have never really seen anyone object to it as a study. Obviously certain people like Foucault, and Baudrillard weren't specifically semioticians but they definitely did reference it quite a bit to make their points, especially in trying to describe why the map for the territory mistake happens in the first place (atleast in reading baudrillard). I guess if you disregard the field entirely then you must also disregard the works of someone like Umberto Eco who focus a large amount of effort on semiotics.

Do you have any books, essays or other critiques that go into any more detail about this? After having read this book I view it as just as relative a study as semantics but would be interested in reading a counter-opinion in more depth. Like I said before its such an obfuscated subject that its hard enough to find any material on it as it is.

should i read grundrisse if i havent yet read capital vol 2 & 3?

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

sure, marx did

Grundrisse is the sh*t

getfiscal posted:

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

sure, marx did

good post lol

Apolitical Intellectuals

One day
the apolitical
intellectuals
of my country
will be interrogated
by the simplest
of our people.

They will be asked
what they did
when their nation died out
slowly,
like a sweet fire
small and alone.

No one will ask them
about their dress,
their long siestas
after lunch,
no one will want to know
about their sterile combats
with "the idea
of the nothing"
no one will care about
their higher financial learning.

They won't be questioned
on Greek mythology,
or regarding their self-disgust
when someone within them
begins to die
the coward's death.

They'll be asked nothing
about their absurd
justifications,
born in the shadow
of the total lie.

On that day
the simple men will come.

Those who had no place
in the books and poems
of the apolitical intellectuals,
but daily delivered
their bread and milk,
their tortillas and eggs,
those who drove their cars,
who cared for their dogs and gardens
and worked for them,
and they'll ask:

"What did you do when the poor
suffered, when tenderness
and life
burned out of them?"

Apolitical intellectuals
of my sweet country,
you will not be able to answer.

A vulture of silence
will eat your gut.

Your own misery
will pick at your soul.

And you will be mute in your shame.

--Otto Rene Castillo

cata posted:

.custom286123{}NoFreeWill posted:.custom286106{}cata posted:.custom286101{}NoFreeWill posted:stegosaurus posted:

.custom285929{}NoFreeWill posted:stego u should give them this when it comes out which everyone should read

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1924-capitalism-in-the-web-of-lifethis looks sick

i'm excited. also semiotics is garbage

how so

it mistakes the map for the territory and makes mountains out of molehills. and it's straight

I guess I would need a more in-depth explanation of how it commits this fallacy.

i'm just less interested in symbols and more interested in the body and it's relation to the environment, so I associate semiotics with a kind of nit-picking, seeing-meaning-everywhere school of fail

yes, looking for meaining or significance of things in the world is futile. there is only capitalism. report to the drink yourself to death forum immediately

drwhat posted:

report to the drink yourself to death forum immediately

Please don't dump garbage in my yard.

i downloaded the grundrisse on my phone earlier today. it's the 1973 first vintage books edition jawn that's on libgen. but i would also download another one if yall want 2 do a 'lets read' jawn. im going to read it during my downtime at owrk

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

i downloaded the grundrisse on my phone earlier today. it's the 1973 first vintage books edition jawn that's on libgen. but i would also download another one if yall want 2 do a 'lets read' jawn. im going to read it during my downtime at owrk

ive got a physical copy, 1973 pelican, translation by martin nicolaus which is i assume the same as what you got? i could dl a pdf for ease of coordinating a lets read...

i think that's it does it have a brown cover and say MARX LIBRARY on the bottom?

as long as the page numbers are the same that's all that matterrs. i just switched to pdfs because i got a big ass phone and it's easier than remembering to bring a book w/ me every day when i leave the house

drwhat posted:

yes, looking for meaining or significance of things in the world is futile. there is only capitalism. report to the drink yourself to death forum immediately

paying too much attention to the spectacle is fail

Let's do a reading group. All I really want out of life is a good reading group.
start a book club.
local branch is reading state & rev. we finish next week
im starting capital vol 2 w some irl people in a few weeks
I'm so paranoid I don't think I could join an IRL communist reading group. I'd just think they we're all CIA, unless I saw the other group members kill a cop or something.
the CIA kills cops all the time bro, dont forget 9/11 after all

Soviet_Salami posted:

I'm so paranoid I don't think I could join an IRL communist reading group. I'd just think they we're all CIA, unless I saw the other group members kill a cop or something.

this is a=silly

Power

The difference between poetry and rhetoric
is being ready to kill
yourself
instead of your children.

I am trapped on a desert of raw gunshot wounds
and a dead child dragging his shattered black
face off the edge of my sleep
blood from his punctured cheeks and shoulders
is the only liquid for miles
and my stomach
churns at the imagined taste while
my mouth splits into dry lips
without loyalty or reason
thirsting for the wetness of his blood
as it sinks into the whiteness
of the desert where I am lost
without imagery or magic
trying to make power out of hatred and destruction
trying to heal my dying son with kisses
only the sun will bleach his bones quicker.

A policeman who shot down a ten year old in Queens
stood over the boy with his cop shoes in childish blood
and a voice said “Die you little motherfucker” and
there are tapes to prove it. At his trial
this policeman said in his own defense
“I didn't notice the size nor nothing else
only the color”. And
there are tapes to prove that, too.

Today that 37 year old white man
with 13 years of police forcing
was set free
by eleven white men who said they were satisfied
justice had been done
and one Black Woman who said
“They convinced me” meaning
they had dragged her 4'10'' black Woman's frame
over the hot coals
of four centuries of white male approval
until she let go
the first real power she ever had
and lined her own womb with cement
to make a graveyard for our children.

I have not been able to touch the destruction
within me.
But unless I learn to use
the difference between poetry and rhetoric
my power too will run corrupt as poisonous mold
or lie limp and useless as an unconnected wire
and one day I will take my teenaged plug
and connect it to the nearest socket
raping an 85 year old white woman
who is somebody's mother
and as I beat her senseless and set a torch to her bed
a greek chorus will be singing in 3/4 time
“Poor thing. She never hurt a soul. What beasts they are.”

- Audre Lorde

Soviet_Salami posted:

as opposed to on the internet,

I've been reading Discipline's blogposts about Palestine, they're really good. Also, I'm going to start reading Fusako Shigenobu's history of the Japanese Red Army today. I'll try to post about it but it's in Japanese so it'll take awhile.
#humblebrag
Stewart Lee: massive jawns. Jawns twice the size of ordinary jawns.
jacobin published something good about Syria to appease us tankie plebs again:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/08/syria-civil-war-nato-military-intervention/
i read Making Money: The Philosophy of Crisis Capitalism by Ole Bjerg and despite the fact he draws a lot of analytic framework from of all people fucking Zizek, its an incredibly lucid and detailed exposition of the modern banking system and derivatives markets from a marxism perspective. you probably need to read this damn thing even if you take the final chapter on classes and revolutionary methodology w pinch of salt
Bruce Cumings, Origins of the Korean War II:

Koreans have always assumed, implicitly, and often explicitly, that the fount of wisdom, the spark of philosophy, occurs in the mind of the leader-that is it resides in an exceptional person.

Koreans, whether in south or north, are past masters at exaggerated flattery; nothing is more common to a foreigner in Korea than the experience of of receiving outlandish praise, while suspecting that hardly any of it is meant seriously.

Charles Armstrong, The North Korean Revolution 1945-1950:

The total transformation of Korean society between 1945 and 1950 in the north had a distant echo in the Confucian transformation of Korea in the late 14th and early 15th centuries.

These are the revisionists (i.e. apologists for North Korea). The mainstream Korean historians are basically early 20th century Orientalism combined with NAZI anti-communism. Just some random overtly racist quotes I ran into today.

I'm sure if one cared enough you could find countless overtly racist beliefs, which are integral to the analysis of the work, in every major western history of the USSR and China. This includes the "apologists" like J. A. Getty and David S. G. Goodman. I love how people complain that Said's Orientalism is too broad and critical of the possibilities of knowledge in the west when scholarship about the Orient is basically NAZI propaganda.

babyhueypnewton posted:

I'm sure if one cared enough you could find countless overtly racist beliefs, which are integral to the analysis of the work, in every major western history of the USSR and China. This includes the "apologists" like J. A. Getty and David S. G. Goodman. I love how people complain that Said's Orientalism is too broad and critical of the possibilities of knowledge in the west when scholarship about the Orient is basically NAZI propaganda.

yah, its no surprise that orientalism has a deathgrip on contemporary scholarship, given that the US empire has control of two major satellite states in Japan and "south" Korea, and has even had the opportunity to manipulatively pit them against each other to propagate garbage orientalist stereotypes. and no one challenges it. plus the new form of the oppositional propaganda turn wrt the Chinese economy, currently being blamed for the inevitable ongoing collapse of the US stock market, is another form of this, framing the discourse to pin the failures of capitalism on an orientalist scapegoat. same as it ever was. hopefully we'll at least be able to spare people the agony of internment camps this time around.

really good article recently in bloomberg for my rhizzone comrades to read

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-08-17/are-you-rich-no-need-to-apologize

"When I think about the most successful capitalists of the age -- Bill Gates, let's say, or Steve Jobs -- I'm not mainly struck by the great harm they've done. Gates, of course, has done enormous good twice over, first as a capitalist innovator and then as a philanthropist. But even when he was single-mindedly making money, he was still doing the rest of us an immense service. And the good he did in that role resided precisely in his desire to sell us things we were free to buy or not buy -- it resided, that is, in capitalism.
Bad people will do bad things regardless of the prevailing economic system. But capitalism starts with a big ethical advantage. Capitalist acts among consenting adults are voluntary."

Capitalist acts among consenting adults are voluntary."

This is now a pedophilia thread

aerdil posted:

really good article recently in bloomberg for my rhizzone comrades to read

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-08-17/are-you-rich-no-need-to-apologize

"When I think about the most successful capitalists of the age -- Bill Gates, let's say, or Steve Jobs -- I'm not mainly struck by the great harm they've done. Gates, of course, has done enormous good twice over, first as a capitalist innovator and then as a philanthropist. But even when he was single-mindedly making money, he was still doing the rest of us an immense service. And the good he did in that role resided precisely in his desire to sell us things we were free to buy or not buy -- it resided, that is, in capitalism.
Bad people will do bad things regardless of the prevailing economic system. But capitalism starts with a big ethical advantage. Capitalist acts among consenting adults are voluntary."

let edgy know about it
https://www.facebook.com/edgywhitelibberal

i'm reading the book of disquietude by fernando pessoa (a getfiscal type) and just finished All the King's Men which was about a fictional Huey Long who did cool things to improve louisiana.