http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/17/world/middleeast/us-strikes-syria-oil.html

Until Monday, the United States refrained from striking the fleet used to transport oil, believed to include more than 1,000 tanker trucks, because of concerns about causing civilian casualties. As a result, the Islamic State’s distribution system for exporting oil had remained largely intact.

To reduce the risk of harming civilians, two F-15 warplanes dropped leaflets about an hour before the attack warning drivers to abandon their vehicles, and strafing runs were conducted to reinforce the message.

The United States Air Force bashfully allowed ISIS to tool around in the desert with a fleet of 1000 tanker trucks because they were afraid of civilian casualties

A drone strike in the middle of a Pakistani city though? Light 'em up.

they were afraid of the American civilians who would die without cheap ISIS Oil to drive them to get their cheap Al-Qaeda Heroin
*takes off sunglasses*

Superabound posted:

they were afraid of the American civilians who would die without cheap CIA Oil to drive them to get their cheap CIA Heroin

interesting no change at all, i guess it checks out

hillary clinton says she wants a "second sunni awakening" which is funny. obama already used that exact idea a while ago but said it would be different this time because they would force the militia to join like municipal army units in iraq.

some quick notes on that:
- what independent arab sunni leaders who have the control and respect of their localities but haven't either allied with ISIS, al-Nusra or other existing formations still even exist in the relevant area
- if their power base was in the possibility of mobilizing people to form loyal resistance militia, why would they then hand over that power base such that it was now under the umbrella of the national army and sent off to fight a brutal war
- if you give a bunch of equipment to more autonomous units how many of them do you think will join ISIS
actually clinton already has an ironclad strategy to defeat ISIS: https://twitter.com/johnpodesta/status/667375199780806657
some NAVY SEALS got bored, so what

i lost my navy seal folding knife (5$) that was from when i wanted 2 kill a man just 2 watch him die so i even visited annapolis (this was max out of shape nerd time too lol)

my asvab score recommended me (or at least got me) for a tank driver/commander

but i always biin on that mig 29 fulcrum shit

saab viggen

im a military hipstorian

whale penis bone club (straight pacific islander shit)

thats when u eat a whole whale

or a dead whale's penis washes up on ur beach

and u beach some motherfucker 2 death with it

t-pain was right

support are troops of monkeys

pretending we got shit

"you aint my bitch nigga, buy your own damn fries"

thats barack obama reading his own autobiography

he probably can't even veto it

or some SEAL would be pissed off

maybe the one what killed usama bin badboy

and dunked his ass 2 the ocean

about 912 ad

after he already the caliph of

not ever being

the worst performance artists

taking credit

for debit

hell yeah

im lsding to my own funk drum solo that ima rap over l8r

anyways WHAT THE FUCK

WHY

NOT?

could we make it worse?

probably they will get killed and lose a helicopter that gives someone stealth tech or some shit

the us military is just communism for other countries to buy f-16s

and capitalism for the United Snakkes of CUNTRY

music

and shitty fucking airplanes that suck

keep GROVERHAUS employed

or we might start actually starting wars

and winning them

that'd be some NAZI

ass clown

SHIT

if i wasn't still buying a mosin

with whatever i got after i pocket pistol

my pussy back

anyways

holla back yall

how fucked are we on a scale from 9 to 12

probably slightly 18 years old

can't vote

or drink and drive themselves 2 death

except in an overpriced humvee

now thats an IPDUDUI PSTD-antitakematerials rifles

waiting to crappen

RIP 2 those that died from 1917/1492-now

fighting the losing war

which kept us in postwar social housing

that is where im moving

wherever there is baed shite

MSF delivers emergency aid

"to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural or man-made disasters."

thats Medicin Sans Frontieres

bilivia me

i aint no caro, id be in cairo on the left side of the ashes of your grandmother's firing one shot once history

or i'd be a dead fascist

in ukraine (i told someone this recently)

when i read what the banderists did (someone here linked me)

well, lets not talk about that shit

fuck whores

when u nail someones tongue to the kitchen floor (i do remember correctly i think, but the litany was so long i think communists should print it out and burn it every may day)

and then let them starve to death

thats victory in defeat

the utter retreat

the annihilation of all values

thats decomposition

returning blood & soil

by hitting people with shovels

my friend

danyet

russians and cypriots i know

who almost punched a motherfucking (larp ) assassin

in my dorm room

that is STAYING PROTECTED
pronoia

para TROOPING

jungle CREEPING

pajama safe in bed at night

shoutouts to the schizophrenia produced by being the grand-daughter
of a man who fought on the left side of shit-stories

or the guy in the videostore

who bragged about an m79 (he was the "demoman")

he didn't even fight (or at least he didn't let me know he did)
he just went to the range

it fires buckshot apparently, holy balls what a machine

but we anti-imperialist hiphop

*stirs drink*

when the stoner family of machine/sub/whatever u want customizable guns

is maybe the only reason u idiots are called stoners

and not

hell yeah use the wicked machinery

to grind out anti-poverty

and unfucking

well

yall probably at least some of you

bolt-action field-exercise

ur 3rd amendment rights

to never 2nd guess

1st - staying silent

RIP PIR PIRPG MMORPG YAOI shoutouts to operational obscurity

total anti-privacy

- poem from the east la anti-computer gun-wings-soup2nuts-phoeating

dickhaving

pus from wounds dripping

funk-metal drumming club-pwner when i dance in them

bar-kicked-out-of-for-once when i aint tryiinggg

ok here's my jam:

plums
the lunatic phil greaves made a good point, they could probably just directly buy back ISIS fighters to rebrand it as an awakening and then flip the colour on the map and celebrate victory
well cut my life into pieces
Senior US military officials exaggerated the actual extant of the air campaign being waged against Daesh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/us/politics/military-reviews-us-response-to-isis-rise.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1
“In my view, now is the time for developing a serious and effective approach to destroy ISIS. Now is not the time for taking cheap political advantage of this tragedy. Now is the time – as President Obama is trying to do – to unite the world in an organized campaign against ISIS that will eliminate the stain of ISIS from this world,” Sanders said.

The stain of ISIS - how Macbeth!!!!!
robert kagan at brookings in WSJ:

What would such an effort look like? First, it would require establishing a safe zone in Syria, providing the millions of would-be refugees still in the country a place to stay and the hundreds of thousands who have fled to Europe a place to which to return. To establish such a zone, American military officials estimate, would require not only U.S. air power but ground forces numbering up to 30,000. Once the safe zone was established, many of those troops could be replaced by forces from Europe, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and other Arab states, but the initial force would have to be largely American.

In addition, a further 10,000 to 20,000 U.S. troops would be required to uproot Islamic State from the haven it has created in Syria and to help local forces uproot it in Iraq. Many of those troops could then be replaced by NATO and other international forces to hold the territory and provide a safe zone for rebuilding the areas shattered by Islamic State rule.

At the same time, an internationally negotiated and blessed process of transition in Syria should take place, ushering the bloodstained Mr. Assad from power and establishing a new provisional government to hold nationwide elections. The heretofore immovable Mr. Assad would face an entirely new set of military facts on the ground, with the Syrian opposition now backed by U.S. forces and air power, the Syrian air force grounded and Russian bombing halted. Throughout the transition period, and probably beyond even the first rounds of elections, an international peacekeeping force—made up of French, Turkish, American and other NATO forces as well as Arab troops—would have to remain in Syria until a reasonable level of stability, security and inter-sectarian trust was achieved.

"In addition, a further 10,000 to 20,000 U.S. troops would be required to uproot Islamic State from the haven it has created in Syria and to help local forces uproot it in Iraq."

I like this point because 10,000 to 20,000 is a good spread. What sort of math could have possibly been involved.
Nom Chompers talked to Jacobin and endorsed a no-fly zone to mitigate ISIS lol
Well actually, he said it would've been a good option if Russia hadn't entered the way it has, since that um foreclosed how peaceful it could've been lol, LOL
I'm being unfair, he didn't really endorse that, he just said he wouldn't have been opposed to one. Y'all should just read this ish http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/politics/2014/09/turkey-usa-iraq-syria-isis-fuller.html
chomsky endorsed a no-fly zone in libya on the condition that it not be used for regime change. don't ask me how that makes sense.

it's too bad because i still really like a lot of chomsker's work.
i sometimes have trouble understanding how people who saw thru all the lies and exaggerations during Kosovo et al now see the Syrian rebels as a legitimate resistance force. like how richard seymour wrote an entire book denouncing humanitarian intervention and the "liberal defense of murder" but then went on to legitimize the Libyan "revolution" while condemning the US-led air strikes in passing. don't even get me started on his current stance on Ukraine.

i guess it could be careerism. maybe it has something to do w/ the inevitably of trots and anarchists becoming pro-empire if they aren't already. idk.
Like Jameson, he's seen better days...

(not that's an excuse for anything, mind you)
do this regime changey thing BUT DONt change the regime guys I'm serious here
the next six months will be crucial in determining the outcome of the fight against isis in syria
i feel there are two possible ways that robert kagan came up with "10,000 to 20,000 troops". one is that he looked at a basic map of the region and was like "hell, i dunno, maybe an army division to destroy the ones in syria. oh and they are still in iraq too so a division there too." the other is that he actually has people like brown moses working on computer models that really did somehow spit out troop approximations based on strategic studies alchemy that were like alright we have 95% probability of success within the range of 10,000 and 20,000 troops, 19 times out of 20.
i think the likeliest possibility is that its just some dumb number he completely made up

HenryKrinkle posted:

i sometimes have trouble understanding how people who saw thru all the lies and exaggerations during Kosovo et al now see the Syrian rebels as a legitimate resistance force. like how richard seymour wrote an entire book denouncing humanitarian intervention and the "liberal defense of murder" but then went on to legitimize the Libyan "revolution" while condemning the US-led air strikes in passing. don't even get me started on his current stance on Ukraine.

i guess it could be careerism. maybe it has something to do w/ the inevitably of trots and anarchists becoming pro-empire if they aren't already. idk.

I think it has to do with arrogance. It's super easy to look back on Grenada or Yugoslavia or Vietnam and do the research necessary to show what really happened. But when something is happening right now you have to take a principled stand based on vague facts and a general understand of how imperialism works. Seymore would never say something like "I don't know enough about the history of Syria and the current flow of money/weapons/CIA in the region to state unequivocally what is happening but I know what the general interests of imperialism and the regional players are" instead he has to know everything so his audience keeps paying attention and keeps giving him those sweet blog clicks. I think first world white liberalism is behind the fear of being caught without an opinion on everything and everyone. Of course the desire to know is filled by fake knowledge like Elliot Piggins which is part of new psyops that are far more effective by flooding our brains with information than censuring it. This is my opinion based on talking to otherwise reasonable people on the internet about subjects they know nothing about.

HenryKrinkle posted:

its because the crimes of your government are always obvious and "common knowledge" in hindsight, 20 years down the line, when theyve already acheived their goals and everyone is safe from even the desire for prosecution. But the government committing crimes TODAY? Like right now??? lol whatever, might want to loosen your TIN FOIL HAT a bit there Agent Mulder

babyhueypnewton posted:

Seymore would never say something like "I don't know enough about the history of Syria and the current flow of money/weapons/CIA in the region to state unequivocally what is happening but I know what the general interests of imperialism and the regional players are" instead he has to know everything so his audience keeps paying attention and keeps giving him those sweet blog clicks. I think first world white liberalism is behind the fear of being caught without an opinion on everything and everyone.

a related problem is that true political decisions are always situated in a real person and movement, and those people almost always just have to choose from what's around them. if you think abstractly you can come up with pleasant-sounding formulae but they don't really tell much to people stuck on the ground there. most western liberals just say something they think sounds nice in abstract, like defending the need for liberal-democratic elections or something, rather than talking about specific choices.

i think a fair number of radicals sense that and just go the other way and endorse a countervailing trend, which is really similar thinking because a lot of people on the ground are probably more nuanced. those sort of simple positions easily contradict themselves and conflict, too. but in a true political decision the stakes are often catastrophic but also the options are not all pleasant. like reading early communist stuff doesn't really give the sense that these people had science so they agreed on everything. they had real debates and each side had enormous risks. lukacs called lenin's perspective "revolutionary realpolitik" because he would find some appropriate position which he could strongly defend while recognizing it could be changed at a moment's notice if the situation demanded it. and if you think about it you can imagine almost any permutation of policy being defended and the question is more what would actually work best rather than just consistency with moral norms or whatever. as a friend said to me, the problems often arise when people refuse to choose the hard road based on supposed principles, like when trotskyists conjure up a vague "democratic opposition" in syria so that they can simply pick that side.

bingo call from CBC article on turkey's shoot-down of russia's plane:

"Rami Abdurrahman, who heads the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights"
"This goes beyond the normal struggle against terrorism. This was a stab in the back by the accomplices of terrorists," Mr Putin stated.
i think a lot of it is that you have some particularly compelling dramatis personae. The YPG/YPJ seem pretty cool and they're fighting nasty-ass contras, the temptation to try and jujitsu imperial power to support them is very understandable. it's wrong, at least from my perspective an ocean away and cognizant of my reliance on untrustworthy western media/media narratives, but understandable
i remember Seymour in particular hyping these "Local Coordinating Committees" in Syria based on Facebook pages and it wasn't really clear if these things were all that prominent within the opposition or even progressive in comparison with the Assad regime.
then you have people saying that Assad responded to non-violent protesters with brute force & jailed secular leftist dissidents and thus created the Islamist problem by giving Syrians no other avenues to express their grievances. thing is, from what i understand, the major Syrian communist parties sided with Assad from the beginning of the armed insurgency and there is practically zero evidence leftist, non-sectarian forces ever played a major role in the opposition. the most secular representatives of the opposition are all liberal and neocon expats living in the West and have deep ties to the US "democracy promotion" establishment.

sorry if i'm just restating what everyone already knows. but it's just disconcerting to see so many people swayed by these harrowing reports of Assad's barrel bombs & torture chambers that they forget how easily humanitarianism can be used to sell imperialist war and aggression.
was graeber ever anti-assad or did he just stick to "use NATO airpower to support the kurds against ISIS/al Qaeda" (assuming that my understanding that Assad and the kurds are basically neutral to one another is correct)
the turks shot down a russian plane *rubs hands, waits for war to start and wife to be interned*
http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/24/russian-jet-downed-by-turkish-planes-near-syrian-border-live-updates

Britain’s foreign secretary, Philip Hammond, has accused a Labour MP of being an “apologist for Russian actions” after questions were raised in Parliament about Turkey’s reliability as a British ally.

Skinner had asked Hammond: “Do you regard Turkey as a reliable ally in the battle against Isil ?

“When you consider that not only today that they’ve shot down a Russian jet - who are also trying to fight Isil - they’re buying oil from Isil in order to prop them up, they’re bombing the Kurds who are also fighting Isil."

lmfao

lookin' forward to the unbiased and comprehensive teardown of what really happened to that russian jet from intelligence analyst eliot higgins
it shot itself down after dropping a bomb on a pussy riot benefit concert for queer girl bloggers in Damascus
whatever did happen to Syria Girl anyway

aerdil posted:

lookin' forward to the unbiased and comprehensive teardown of what really happened to that russian jet from intelligence analyst eliot higgins

I can independently verify that reality is real and actually happening right now. For example, that stuff you're seeing is real, and I am here typing this post. Multiple videos posted to youtube, and expert opinions across Wikipedia provide concrete evidence that the real world exists, that democracy works, the terrorists are bad and America is the greatest gad dung nation in the rotten frottin history of the dingol dangol world bag dumbit

HenryKrinkle posted:

the major Syrian communist parties sided with Assad from the beginning of the armed insurgency

most leftists (who aren't members of some allied CPs) don't care about that though. the reason is that when the ba'athists rose to power they were hostile to rival leftist forces. so they gutted the CPs and made them into bloc parties in the national front. it is not really an independent leftist force, it is integrated into assad's coalition. also in iraq i think the communist party essentially became an exile force for similar reasons and after the invasion of iraq they supported the new government.

the argument the trots use about syria is more that the large protests got shut down and then activists started meeting in assemblies or circles to decide how to move forward. and many of theses assemblies did take on a sort of vaguely leftist hue. like they would talk about the need for direct democracy and social justice or whatever. but that one moment gets sort of painted across everything that followed, which is silly, because those people didn't end up having an army, and without a people's army the people have nothing.

i looked it up today and the actual city of kobani has 40,000 people. i know syrian kurdistan has a lot but that's not my point there. it's basically a smaller town and it's being blown up into the 2015 zapatistas.

i can't remember where i read it (maybe here?) but someone was talking about medieval catholicism and how the vatican sent out some people to check the state of the church in various regions. and they reported back that in many places the priests were preaching things that had little relation to dogma, just wild random theories and claims to special powers and such. and the actual believers had even less idea what it was all about. which i think is sort of a good way to view ideology nowadays anyway. like people read way too much into trends and prevailing ideas. in canada everyone now talks as if harper was doomed and canada spoke as one voice to reject him and such when a few weeks ago he was leading in the polls.