TG posted:

rewatching deep space nine, about 13 eps in

one year later and im back at it, halfway through season 4 again. dominion war > borg invasion

TG posted:

TG posted:

rewatching deep space nine, about 13 eps in

one year later and im back at it, halfway through season 4 again. dominion war > borg invasion

nice, i haven't watched it since around thanksgiving. I watched up through season 6 and haven't pushed through the last season

please enjoy the best film ever made about Straya

lmpMoIaYR2Q
WscfT1pTycI

Themselves posted:

WscfT1pTycI

mods change my name to H. Uxter Nepmann, Esq

Themselves posted:

in an internet cafe lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U0apQttNw0

Edited by overfire ()

[account deactivated]
In the context of working with refugees (mostly Kurdish) a person I know has made an effort to set up a small portable cinema (mostly for the children, but also adults). While a positive intention it's also potentially negative depending on the content. Any of you have suggestions on what to show that is not imperialist propaganda? Ideally it would be easy to find a Kurdish dub or subs, or it would be stuff that has no words (something like Pingu in the case of the children).
How about some lighthearted Disney fare like Aladdin?

Gssh posted:

In the context of working with refugees (mostly Kurdish) a person I know has made an effort to set up a small portable cinema (mostly for the children, but also adults). While a positive intention it's also potentially negative depending on the content. Any of you have suggestions on what to show that is not imperialist propaganda? Ideally it would be easy to find a Kurdish dub or subs, or it would be stuff that has no words (something like Pingu in the case of the children).

jKbEaZ-Jnws

you can probably find dragonball z badly fandubbed in kurdish

Gssh posted:

Ghibli films might be a good choice. Technically well-made, morally wholesome, strong female characters, accessibly anti capitalist and anti imperialist in a way children can appreciate.

Mercury Rev videos are a rhizzone fav. They can be up to two hours long and include literally three or more guitar tunings and time signatures
wtf is this lol
[account deactivated]
I watched Out 1 and you should too if you like this kind of thing

/B0q7piI4ekQ
I'm not and I won't.
i started Out 1 but episode one had theatre people doing a "pretend we're handicapped and moan a lot while thumping on shit" exercise for most of its running time. hoping the rest of the movie has less of that tbh
"fuck it, we'll do it live!" comrade nicolas maduro, fucking doer.

toutvabien posted:

i started Out 1 but episode one had theatre people doing a "pretend we're handicapped and moan a lot while thumping on shit" exercise for most of its running time. hoping the rest of the movie has less of that tbh

yeah that first episode's pretty hard to take. there's less and less of that as it goes on.

[account deactivated]
the Fargo TV show, which in addition to being very well directed, also advances proper jucheist-accelerationist thought
I wanted to see the Indian movie "Court" but I just realized it was the official India selection for the Academy Awards which means it probably isn't Maoist enough.
Fargo (tv) is really good.
im currently watching my neighbours cat lick the micro penis of my intersex cat
#lifeisgood

Keven posted:

Fargo (tv) is really good.

I rly dig how they've managed to show what Midwestern/Minnesotan small town life can be like without coming off as jeering or haughty about it. There's no "look at these fuckin poor rubes" kinda vibe to the direction.

Ive only made it a couple of eps into season 2 of fargo. Does it get better? Maybe i was just not in the right mood at the time
i started Lady Dynamite last night and it's pretty fun
I'm watching masters of sex now. Season 1 was really good. Season 2 feels a little too soap opera-y and I'm not enjoying bills wife's subplots which are exclusively her wanting to scold or fuck black people. Season 2 really feels like they were like woah we've got to slow this shit down folks. I hear it gets really bad later so I'll probably stop after this.

When that's done I'm going to watch season 3 of the Americans.
The bad guys in season 2 aren't nearly as compelling as Lorne Malvo (except for bear, who talks like the protagonist of a video game from 2011) so it takes a little more to get into, in my opinion. Also Lester was such a great character. I'd say season two is very good but for sure the characters aren't as strong.

Keven posted:

The bad guys in season 2 aren't nearly as compelling as Lorne Malvo (except for bear, who talks like the protagonist of a video game from 2011) so it takes a little more to get into, in my opinion. Also Lester was such a great character. I'd say season two is very good but for sure the characters aren't as strong.

Fair enough. I'll get round to it eventually I'm sure.

I saw Memories of Underdevelopment recently. It was made in Cuba in 1969. It attacks ultra-ironic subjectivity and the hallowness of the capitalist mentality. In this way it made me hopeful, because the film is a pretty powerful criticism of the dominant liberal think-piece cultural that's so popular today. It's hard to not say too much about this movie without being pretentious, because it really is a work of art.

It's main themes are irony and communism and how shitty western intellectual culture is, if there's any group of people that would appreciate this it would be Rhizzoners. The movie also blends documentary with its plot, its revolutionary in its form and its content.

I watched Son Of Saul last night in the cinema.

It's a Hungarian movie about sonderkommando (prisoners conscripted to run the holocaust) in a concentration camp 1944 or so, mainly focusing focusing on a main character Saul who decides to bury a boy... The background story is the other sonderkommandos plotting and enacting an escape (there were various escapes from the death camps which I think this was based on)

It was very harrowing as well as captivating.
It shows the mechanics of how the holocaust happened - following Saul as he herds trainloads of prisoners down in to dressing rooms, helping them undress then into the gas chamber for 'treatment', then rifling their clothes, burning their documents and dragging their bodies up to the crematorium.
Most of the film had only the immediate foreground clear with everything else a blur.

I was paying attention to how the prisoners organised themselves to blow up the crematorium kill the guards while having no time or resources and I'm hell.
I also appreciated that our showed not just Jews but also poles and red army soldiers in the camps, and I hope it can help fuck with the soft holocaust denial/double genocide narrative currently in the EU and Eastern euro states (the inmates escape to try to join the Soviet partisans in the film; Lithuania currently has 80+year old escapees from Auschwitz on trial for doing this and killing Nazis.... Because the Soviet union was worse of course)

Sorry to waffle I did find it upsetting so just thought I'd put it out there

Petrol posted:

Fair enough. I'll get round to it eventually I'm sure.

Bruce Campbell is okay as Reagan. i thought it would be pretty hard to take but it's all right.

since i know that's what really has you worried, like the rest of us.
lady dynamite has an episode where she's depressed that she's doing an advertising campaign for an evil walmart-type conglomerate so she decides to feel better about it by doing charitable work so she has them send her down to latin america to teach english, but it's just a propaganda center to stamp out spanish where the english manuals also deemphasize worker's rights and she inadvertently crushes a union trying to organize

so basically it was a throwaway skit that was an implicit criticism of corporate philanthropic work and NGO charities as a form of imperialism

aerdil posted:

lady dynamite has an episode where she's depressed that she's doing an advertising campaign for an evil walmart-type conglomerate so she decides to feel better about it by doing charitable work so she has them send her down to latin america to teach english, but it's just a propaganda center to stamp out spanish where the english manuals also deemphasize worker's rights and she inadvertently crushes a union trying to organize

so basically it was a throwaway skit that was an implicit criticism of corporate philanthropic work and NGO charities as a form of imperialism

well ive been on the fence about trying this show but that does it