does this website still have those diagonal lines across the background, i had to block those because they made my eyes go all funny.

new layout looking good drwhat. just remember the rule of tincture and you're all set.
it's a shame it didnt make my posts funny too but there you go.

Panopticon posted:

does this website still have those diagonal lines across the background, i had to block those because they made my eyes go all funny.

new layout looking good drwhat. just remember the rule of tincture and you're all set.

they're horizontal and on the main page only but yea

thank you dr what
There should be two kinds of front page posts: larger ones for good content that was specifically written as good content, and little ones for threads about specific topics, where the op doesn't matter it's just about giving you an entry point 2 a discussion. this would also be a good way to frontpage makeshiftswahili's thread about vietnam reading for example, threads with a lot of ongoing content but no specific main post.

swampman posted:

There should be two kinds of front page posts: larger ones for good content that was specifically written as good content, and little ones for threads about specific topics, where the op doesn't matter it's just about giving you an entry point 2 a discussion. this would also be a good way to frontpage makeshiftswahili's thread about vietnam reading for example, threads with a lot of ongoing content but no specific main post.

yeah i was reading that thread and thinking there's tons of good stuff here but nothing that's just an Article. do you think it would work as just a article-sized item on the front page (same deal, headline + picture) that links to the thread? or maybe visually distinct somehow from articles ... hmm hmm. i will experiment

just put up either a brief summary - ie. "Discussion of books about the Vietnam War beginning with Stanley Karnow's Vietnam: A History" or the other option, an excerpt from an early post in the thread.
https://twitter.com/whiteindisguise/status/694059188545282049
https://twitter.com/michaelleung/status/694021350294335488
WHO IS CHASING DOWN THESE LEADS?!!
Haha the last guy doesn't seem to be particularly up to date. Unless I've misjudged the hive mind, but isn't zizek basically an faux left clown that discredits the whole movement with his buffoonery. Haha maybe that just my reading.

Also swampman, you have made a recent amount of awesome posts. Might just be the weed I just found after thinking I was out the last two days, but I've been loving em. Good shit.

swampman posted:

https://twitter.com/whiteindisguise/status/694059188545282049https://twitter.com/michaelleung/status/694021350294335488
WHO IS CHASING DOWN THESE LEADS?!!

someone get those people accounts

I have to research the arcane texts and learn how to conjure accounts
getting real stoked for the rhizzone rebranding
i hope our doxxed mod is safe and up there somewhere in the clouds smiling down at us, the lovable rascals of the rhizzone
i hope discipline is alive and well, and hopefully not even fired

dank_xiaopeng posted:

getting real stoked for the rhizzone rebranding

words and thoughts like this make me feel dirty, but the tools of propaganda have been exquisitely refined by capitalism and we ought to repurpose them to get good ideas into people's heads. and using my "skill" to make something I agree with rather than some empty expropriating piece of corporate shit is a nice new feeling.

also I trust that if it ever feels like I'm doing anything truly wrong someone will relieve me of my power one way or another.

Camel caps is sacred.

stegosaurus posted:

Camel caps is sacred.

work is continuing. i like it when css works out perfectly, i didn't adjust the location of this background image at all:

ok i successfully recreated the forum style w/new css so the first 20 thread posts will show up at the bottom of articles (like they do now, when that feature is turned on - it's per article), and look the way they do in the forum, so there won't be any false advertising for what a thread looks like

the only thing left now is some stupid bugs for mobile and then i think i will try to roll this out. i will probably break the site for a little while when i do that, so i'll try to do it when it seems like there are fewer posters? idk when that is though
[account deactivated]

drwhat posted:

idk when that is though

https://www.google.com/search?q=fbi+office+hours

Hi friends. I've been putting out fires for the past couple weeks and wasn't around. Apparently I'm a mod now. Since this is the thread for talking about goals for the forum, what would people like to see out of moderation in the main forum?

I am 100% dedicated to listening carefully to the needs of this community and then just doing whatever I originally wanted to do anyways, so your feedback is valued!
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

No shift key = one month probation

Boring troll. B& forever.

shriekingviolet posted:

Hi friends. I've been putting out fires for the past couple weeks and wasn't around. Apparently I'm a mod now. Since this is the thread for talking about goals for the forum, what would people like to see out of moderation in the main forum?

I am 100% dedicated to listening carefully to the needs of this community and then just doing whatever I originally wanted to do anyways, so your feedback is valued!

the only thing we really need a moderator to do is ban mustangs and deal with the "rare" occasions when one of us falls prey to mental illness

[account deactivated]

gyrofry posted:

the only thing we really need a moderator to do is ban mustangs and deal with the "rare" occasions when one of us falls prey to mental illness

I more or less agree. If new blood ever begins flowing in here policy might need to be revisited, but for the most part you are all grownups who can at least take care of yourselves in the context of words on the internet.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
ban the mods. no mods no masters
[account deactivated]
The DSM:v provides excellent guidance and as a professional who deals with people with mental illnesses on a daily basis I think I should have carte blanche with desk chair diagnoses of fellow posters

tpaine posted:

all of a sudden liking turtles is a mental illness...and then goodbye me and half the forum. this is the future gyeguss envisions.

shriekingviolet posted:

Someone needs to take control of approving new accounts

swampman posted:

Someone needs to take control of approving new accounts

Has drwhat been working on a process for that? I'd currently be willing to correspond with applicants and approve them, and I'd make sure to pass it off to someone else if I'm no longer able to. What kind of vetting process do we desire? Imho I don't think we need much other than some small due diligence to weed out serial stalkers.

Part of the front page redesign has been to get more familiar with how the code works to find out what adding registration approval would really entail. It's going to suck quite a bit, not in difficulty but just in tons of tiny annoying details. I don't really have a good idea of how long it will take, and this isn't a job so I won't pretend and tell you a date, but I'll start chipping away at it after the frontpage stuff is done in the next day or two.

Less than two months but more than a week.
yeah act at whatever pace you like, I was just asking because I haven't been around and might have missed something. appreciate the answer.
applicants should link to an active twitter or other social media account... all they need to do is e-mail a message to administrator before posting it online. Or is that too invasive / laborious?
i don't think we should open registration, but if we do i don't think we should require people to use cia stuff
is twitter cia stuff? getfiscal has twitter and they're like.. communist mastermind