how do you pass the "i'm not a junkie scammer" Turing test in that situation
INT. DEEP SOUTH, PLANTATION MANOR, 1856

Mrs. Bankes: Tell me Pastor, what news of the church? I so often find myself cooped up, and love to hear the Lord's word.

Pr. Villers: I've spent the last two years wandering to and from many church assemblies, revival meetings, awakening meetings, and death bed scenes. I tell you in my travels I have seen the heart of man, and it is a vile one. Evil lurks within even those thought the most devout, and without the whip of Lord's wrath there would be no sanctuary on this earth!

Mrs. Bankes: Oh my. Did you happen to visit Arkansas? I hear they are a godless folk.

Pr. Villers: Yes.
that's my corruption of the original by brown, which is way better but i dont have access to offhand

point is that it is not surprising when southern baptists come to the conclusion that man is irredeemably evil because uh, they're surrounded by southern fucking baptists.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

how do you pass the "i'm not a junkie scammer" Turing test in that situation

i am so bourgeois and white it just radiates from me like the blinding sun

I go to church sometimes but mostly to sing. There are some chill churches here with good messages but they are allergic to organizing outside of the MLF paradigm
[account deactivated]
I ain't preachin' no more much. The sperit ain't in the people much no more; and worse'n that, the sperit ain't in me no more. 'Course now an' again the sperit gets movin' an' I rip out a meetin', or when folks sets out food, I give 'em a grace, but my heart ain't in it. I on'y do it 'cause they expect it.

Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible.
American white churches (Christian Scientists, Baptists, Anabaptists etc) are also some of the largest donors to v harmful and colonial abstinence sex programs and anti-vax style public health approaches in a lot of West Africa, which directly contributes to rising HIV rates, child pregnancies, etc. I'm at work but I'll add links later.

Here are those links. One of these is a HRW report, and I know they're neolib as all hell but on this issue they don't have a major ideological bent.
https://www.hrw.org/report/2005/03/30/less-they-know-better/abstinence-only-hiv/aids-programs-uganda
also, excerpts from some schoarly pieces "Uganda: lessons for AIDS control in Africa" in the Review of African Political Economy

Edited by herbsaint ()

Also death squads in Latin America in the 80s
well yeah protestants are evil, i thought everyone knew that
I find Christianity and Marxism to be a fine mix *swirls glass*