this morning i heard theresa may's first speech as PM. very inspirational:

I have just been to Buckingham Palace, where Her Majesty the Queen has asked me to form a new government, and I accepted.

In David Cameron , I follow in the footsteps of a great, modern Prime Minister. Under David’s leadership, the Government stabilised the economy, reduced the budget deficit, and helped more people into work than ever before.

But David’s true legacy is not about the economy, but about social justice. From the introduction of same sex marriage, to taking people on low wages out of income tax altogether, David Cameron has led a 'one nation' government, and it is in that spirit that I also plan to lead.

Because not everybody knows this, but the full title of my party is the Conservative and Unionist Party. And that word unionist is very important to me.

It means we believe in the union, the precious, precious bond between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. But it means something else that is just as important, it means we believe in a union not just between the nations of the United Kingdom, but between all of our citizens, every one of us, whoever we are and wherever we are from.

That means fighting against the burning injustice that if you’re born poor you will die on average nine years earlier than others. If you’re black, you’re treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you’re white. If you’re a white working class boy, you’re less likely than anybody else in Britain to go to university. If you’re at a state school, you’re less likely to reach the top professions than if you’re educated privately. If you’re a woman, you will earn less than a man. If you suffer from mental health problems, there’s not enough help to hand. If you’re young, you’ll find it harder than ever before to own your own home.

But the mission to make Britain a country that works for everyone means more than fighting these injustices. If you’re from an ordinary working class family, life is much harder than many people in Westminster realise.

You have a job but you don’t always have job security. You have your own home but you worry about paying the mortgage. You can just about manage, but you worry about the cost of living and getting your kids into a good school. If you’re one of those families, if you’re just managing, I want to address you directly.

I know you’re working around the clock, I know you’re doing your best and I know that sometimes life can be a struggle. The Government I lead will be driven, not by the interests of the privileged few, but by yours. We will do everything we can to give you more control over your lives.

When we take the big calls, we’ll think not of the powerful, but you. When we pass new laws, we’ll listen not to the mighty, but to you. When it comes to taxes, we’ll prioritise not the wealthy, but you. When it comes to opportunity, we won’t entrench the advantages of the fortunate few, we will do everything we can to help anybody, whatever your background, to go as far as your talents will take you.

We are living through an important moment in our country’s history. Following the referendum, we face a time of great national change. And I know because we’re Great Britain that we will rise to the challenge. As we leave the European Union, we will forge a bold, new, positive role for ourselves in the world, and we will make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for every one of us.

That will be the mission of the Government I lead. And together, we will build a better Britain.

looks like our social justice rhetoric is really starting to make a difference out there!

[account deactivated]
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/newt-gingrich-van-jones-race_us_577fd018e4b01edea78d9e1c

Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.), a former House Speaker whom presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is reportedly vetting for vice president, said Friday that black people in the U.S. “are substantially more likely to be in a situation where the police don’t respect you, and where you could easily get killed.”

“Sometimes, for white people, it’s difficult to appreciate how real that is,” Gingrich said during a Facebook Live conversation with former Obama administration official Van Jones. “It’s an everyday danger.”

“If you’re an African-American, then you’re raising your teenage boys to be very careful in obeying the police,” Gingrich said to Jones, who is black and the father of teenagers. “Literally, their lives are at risk , and they can see that on television.”

The former House Speaker’s comments came as the nation collectively mourned the five Dallas police officers who were killed on Thursday following a peaceful demonstration against police brutality. The protest was prompted in part by police fatally shooting two black men earlier this week ― Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minnesota.

“If you’re a normal Caucasian,” Gingrich continued, “you don’t see that, because it’s not part of your experience. What we need is to have a conversation about mutual experiences.”

republicans are starting to get it too. this bodes well for the future!

this guy gets it

[account deactivated]
gwb at the wake got woke
normal caucasian
Pigfucker Legacy
Donald Trump said there's two Americas; The Ruling Class & the groups they represent vs Everyone Else

The man chosen as the Israeli military’s new chief rabbi has previously implied that soldiers would be permitted to rape women in war.

This comes at a time when the Israeli government lurches further and further to the right, with what has been called “its most hard-right government ever.”

Rabbi Col. Eyal Karim was nominated for the top religious position in the Israel Defense Forces, of IDF, by the chief of staff on Monday.

Karim was at the center of a media controversy in Israel in 2012, when it was revealed that, in 2003, he suggested on a religious website that soldiers were permitted to commit acts of rape during wartime.

“One of the important and crucial values in war is maintaining the fighting preparedness of the army … and the needs and emotions of the individual are pushed aside for the success of the nation at war,” he wrote in his response to a question about soldiers raping civilians in war.

“Just as in war, the fence of risk-taking is breached on behalf of others, so are the fences of modesty and kashrut breached… Although fraternizing with a non-Jewess is a very bad thing, it is allowable in war out of consideration for the difficulties of the fighters,” Karim continued, according to a translation in the Israeli media.

“Because the success of the collective is what mostly concerns us in war, the Torah allows the individual to satisfy his lust in the permitted conditions for the sake of the general success,” he concluded.

In 2012, when this statement was widely publicized, Karim insisted it was misunderstood and had been taken out of context. He said he did not condone rape.

Karim has also previously argued that women should not be allowed to serve in the army.

On Tuesday, Karim released another statement saying that he opposes rape and now supports allowing women in the military.

goongrats to israel.

Although fraternizing with a non-Jewess is a very bad thing,

catchphrase

*bump*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/08/15/glenn-beck-urges-conservatives-to-understand-black-lives-matter/

But since the police shootings in Dallas, where his programs are recorded, Beck had come to view "Black Lives Matter" differently.

"All of us are sitting around a table, and we're all friends," he said. "It's time for dessert, and everybody gets pie except for me and you. And you say, 'I didn't get any pie.' Everybody at the table looks at you and says 'I know. All pie matters.' You say, 'but I don't have any pie! What about my pie?'"

Beck's point was that white Americans simply did not understand what black people had been saying about police in America.

The "leaders" of the movement, he said, were "communists and anti-capitalists" whom he could never agree with. "But they're not the people walking behind them in the street," he said. "We're all speaking different languages and we need to talk to each other."

Later, from the stage, Beck told the "All Pies Matter" fable again, asking hundreds of conservatives to look past their earlier disgust for the Black Lives Matter movement.

thats woke dawg

erdogan 2007 posted:

I don't agree with those who say the deep state does not exist. It does exist. It has always has—and it did not start with the Republic; it dates back to Ottoman times. It's simply a tradition. It must be minimized, and if possible even annihilated

i'm not going to do that, OP.
[account deactivated]
old school, grover norquist was into that shit decades ago
yeah. grover got more into teaching others to do the actual work tho
Um Theresa May is a post menopausal women with type one Diabetes. 'SpoonieLife

glomper_stomper posted:

“Lenin,” he answered, “wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Bannon was employing Lenin’s strategy for Tea Party populist goals. He included in that group the Republican and Democratic Parties, as well as the traditional conservative press.

rest assured, i am going to write a scathing email to the Trump campaign, demanding that they renounce Mr. Bannon for his revisionist Menshevik lies re: Comrade Lenin

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/movies/equity-review-this-is-a-rarity-a-wall-street-movie-that-focuses-on-women/
[account deactivated]
How come nobody fucking mentions the slouched, rings-under-eyes black women who wake up as soon as they go to bed and get up on the L train to cater to the bourgie fuckers that are New York City? All the emphasis is on making Amerika an equal-opportunity oppressor.

tmay posted:

And I know because we’re Great Britain that we will rise to the challenge. As we leave the European Union, we will forge a bold, new, positive role for ourselves in the world, and we will make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for every one of us.

That will be the mission of the Government I lead. And together, we will build a better Britain.

Britain Is Good Because Britain Is Great

[account deactivated]

Gingrich said during a Facebook Live conversation with former Obama administration official Van Jones

kill me

glomper_stomper posted:

how long until frauke petry is woke and intersectional

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

glomper_stomper posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

did you watch the movie they made for that? no one did but i thought it was real good

[account deactivated]
PFC Greg Dilsmith was today acquitted of the premeditated murder of his wife Didi Dilsmith when dramatic courtroom testimony from medical professionals revealed that she had been nurturing enemy combatants in her torso for up to 4 years prior
[account deactivated]

thirdplace posted:

did you watch the movie they made for that? no one did but i thought it was real good

thanks for the recommend, i'll get around to it someday. the book is excellent.

glomper_stomper posted:

I hope Theresa May has a low blood sugar somewhere awkward where she goes full hilary clinton nyc style and then the DM goes on a tangent about her being suitable for the role of PM with paparazzi shots of her drooling with her eyes rolled in the back of her head.
The breastfeeding Icelandic MP isn’t the story. What she was arguing for is

"Last week, Unnur Brá Konráðsdóttir, an MP with the conservative Independence party took to the podium at the Icelandic parliament, Althingi, to speak about a bill she wrote. Not international news by any stretch, except for the fact that she breastfed her baby while she did it.

“It is the most natural thing in the world,” Konráðsdóttir told the Independent, after the news footage went viral, describing being a mother as “like any job, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do”.

What a win for feminism! Women can truly have it all! Want to be a mother and strip asylum seekers of rights in parliament? Go for it! The sky’s the limit!

What a woman was doing with her body was supposedly more important to international discourse than what she was saying
What was that? Oh right, yes that little detail was dropped from most of the reporting on the subject. The bill Konráðsdóttir was arguing for will deny some asylum seekers in Iceland the right to delay deportation while they appeal against their case decisions. This means deported asylum seekers will have to appeal from abroad, forcing them into a great logistical and financial disadvantage.

But instead, international media were so busy praising Konráðsdóttir’s identity as a mother, her identity as a politician trying to whip up some support for a bill that caters to Iceland’s very own “basket of deplorables” two weeks before a national election fell by the wayside."

thirdplace posted:

*stands up* i will do this

just got this Lem book, so far it's really good, cheers
which one? sci fi is the only thing i can read w/o my eyes glazing over anymore