[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
there's pk dick

i donno if meth addiction is a political stance

there arent many good american writers but among the ones i can think of they were leftist or at worst progressive

tapespeed posted:
babyfinland posted:
Well what could I post that would serve as an effective counterexample to your assumptions? (broadly)

well if you could prove to me that a liberal like jonathan safran foer or something owns and somehow i agreed with you then i'd concede a point

Impper posted:
well if you could prove to me that a liberal like jonathan safran foer or something owns and somehow i agreed with you then i'd concede a point

OK well I guess here's where I see if you're just gonna relentlessly troll me and refute whatever I post so I'll say Mark Twain

i like mark twain and i had him in mind when i said the only decent american writers are progressives of some kind
like ok heres a list of American Greats, Amerigreats. Reactionaries italicized

Twain
Poe
Asimov
Burroughs
Ellison
Faulkner
London
Melville
Pynchon
Miller
Morrison
Pound
Steinbeck
Stevens
Vonnegut
Whitman
Thoreau
Hughes
Baldwin
Irving
Dickinson
Dos Passos
Hemingway
James
Buck

thats two
was poe really a reactionary? no wonder i like him. was lovecraft american? i like him too, and he seems like a reactionary.

vonnegut is boring. steinbeck boring. hemingway boring. wasnt burroughs a rich trust fund kid? what were his politics like when he wasnt killing men in mexico. i thought you didnt like henry miller? i dont know his politics really but he seems like a nihilist to me
oh yeah i bought leaves of grass and it kind of sucks. abraham lincoln loved it apparently. you didnt put dfw on your list of amerigreats?

Impper posted:
oh yeah i bought leaves of grass and it kind of sucks. abraham lincoln loved it apparently. you didnt put dfw on your list of amerigreats?

whitman and thoreau both suck. DFW wasnt really amerigreat

that was a list of canon that i could think of, half of those writers i dont really care for

those writers arent necesarily leftist (most of them are just social liberals) but theyre not reactionaries

lovecraft def is reactionary. poe wrote for the whig party journals iirc

if thats the american canon thats really shitty. liberalism. at least its probably better than british canon
american canon is the best canon

i guess if youre entire aesthetic is jokes about jews and blacks then i guess Epic Fail
oh yeah i just remembered that liberals usually hate lovecraft because he wrote a line about niggers or something lol
"Slavery is natural good mmkay"

Amazing. How Brave. Good Write.
i also feel like pound somehow doesnt belong in something like "american canon". seems more like a filthy euro to me, though i couldn't say what sor tof euro. maybe an irishman

babyfinland posted:

i guess if youre entire aesthetic is jokes about jews and blacks then i guess Epic Fail

my aesthetic has nothing to do with that, i just cant read anything a liberal writes, i can smell the liberalism even when it's not half bad

*6 page description of a hooker's diseased vagina*

Brilliant
im pretty sure that 6 page descriptions of hooker vagina is an almost uniquely american genre

babyfinland posted:

i take it back irish canon is best

at least in english. arabic or persian probably wins

i cant read that though unfortunately. what is that theyre scribbling? its all chinese to me

Impper posted:
was lovecraft american? i like him too, and he seems like a reactionary.

Lovecraft was reactionary socially and hated immigrants and non-white races and suffragettes but he was a hardcore materialist and didn't like Coolidge/Hoover and loved FDR economically and had ideas about how through increased mechanization we could be free to work 6 hour days, put limits on wealth accumulation, etc. He was weird and mostly like Nietzsche without the benefit of appreciating Jews

he loved fdr? i might have to reconsider my like of lovecraft
If you want to go beyond novelists Mencken could be #3

tapespeed posted:
If you want to go beyond novelists Mencken could be #3

yeah true

mencken was nietzschean and had weird randian ideas but he doesnt seem to be much of a reactionary
FACT: thoreau and whitman were both Fuckers

FACT: everything American is the greatest so naturally American literature is also the greatest

FACT: because of America's unique historical position, its difficult to really discuss reactionaries because there simply is no alternative to democracy besides a few abortive attempts at military dictatorships. as such im pretty comfortable calling people like poe and faulkner and lovecraft reactionaries, or American reactionary-equivalents, because they loved America and hated foreigners and whenever anyone started talking about The Scourge Of Intolerance theyd be all like whoah

whoaaaaahhhhhh

lets not say anything we cant take back
FACT: even if he is "gbs" lovecraft owns.
lovecraft really isnt gbs. those goons love him because "oh big scary monsters with tentacles and omg a fake cool sounding language" but that's not exactly the point lol.
148 Vampire dog.
vonnegut is one of those guys that really got me into reading novels but now i cant stand him. a lot of the american stuff seems strange to me now. im never quite sure about the type of person that want to read (and write) books about traditional family life, or a book on the grueling hardships of _________. not that it's generally bad but it just seems so, i dunno, painfully christian? quit telling me to love thy neighbor!!
The Japanese are reactionary as hell and they create the best art on the planet so I guess the theory holds up
is the same trend true for movie directors? i know kustorica is a reactionary, but eisenstien is probably as radically left as you get

i'm tempted to say it's because leftists still have hope, while reactionaries are slipping into despair. the world is moving to something wrong, but they'll put it under ice

lungfish posted:
The Japanese are reactionary as hell

not really

yo, u forgot about emerson, bitch.
i like this quote by graham greene, who wasn't a reactionary but he was a catholic communist.

"Communism, my friend, is more than Marxism, just as Catholicism ... is more than the Roman Curia. There is a mystique as well as a politique....Catholics and communists have commited great crimes, but at least they have not stood aside, like an established society, and been indifferent. I would rather have blood on my hands than water like Pilate...if you have abandoned one faith, do not abandon all faith. There is always an alternative to the faith we lose. Or is it the same faith under another mask?"
"men do not always take their great thinkers seriously, even when they profess most to admire them."

- almond fusselbranch
lol is that guys name really almond
no, it's a made up name. the quote is actually freud's.
i was named almond because even at birth you could tell i was a nut
if reactionaries are such good writers how do you explain this post