[account deactivated]
i started Caliban and the Witch and it is obviously v good
[account deactivated]
I'm reading Cuba, a new history. It is very fun and easy read, which is good bc I don't like reading dense stuff very much.
is anyone interested in doing a study group with a weekly reading and discussion topic?

pogfan1996 posted:

is anyone interested in doing a study group with a weekly reading and discussion topic?

That's this forum

Just started Bataille's work on sovereignty... the table of contents really made it irresistible... anyone else fall prey to this text yet?

We know the anti-Christ's number, but not his name. he will be easily recognized, however. A member of the European Common Market will suffer a head wound which would normally be fatal. Miraculously he will be restored to health. That will be an unmistakable signal.

parabolart posted:

I just started Caliban, might buy a paperback, it's good

i felt this way, bought it, and have not regretted the decision at all, because it is an excellent book.

levoydpage posted:

Just started Bataille's work on sovereignty... the table of contents really made it irresistible... anyone else fall prey to this text yet?

What its about

I finished Black Against Empire and started How the West Came To Rule: the Geopolitical Origins of Capitalism. Both suffer from the same problem and I probably won't even finish the latter. Neoliberalism has really destroyed academia as a site of autonomy for rich, serious Marxist thought and has replaced it with shallow 'deconstructionist' or 'postcolonialist' pseudo-Marxism. Black Against Empire is a really interesting historical study which I would recommend everyone read. But the actual theoretical content is laughable. After hundreds of pages of deep historical study, the best the authors can come up with is a bastardization of Gramsci using vague academic terms like 'agents', 'power', 'political opportunity', 'social dislocation' etc. The whole thing concludes with "there won't be another 'insurgency' for a while and we don't really know why kbye. If you want to get valuable lessons from the BPP, you're gonna have to get them on your own.

The other book isn't even an interesting history. It lays out the Wallerstein-Brenner debate which is part of the reason I wanted to read it and then attempts to bring Trotsky's 'combined and uneven development (pre-Lenin which is the first problem) into IR theory to explain a global history of capitalism that is interconnected. A noble goal and they have some interesting concepts that I hadn't thought about before like the contradiction between the forces of production and the relations of production in a nomadic mode of production and how this necessarily impacted other modes of production. Unfortunately after that their actual cause of the rise of capitalism is the black death. When confronted with the fact that this is a contingent event which doesn't lead to any theory-as-such they dismiss theory as 'supra-historical' in favor of a reading of Marx where everything is only expressed in real history. That's great for describing what happened irl, but in their attempt to avoid either the 'world-systems' theory which inevitably eliminates capitalism as a structurally unique mode of production entirely and 'political marxism' which inevitably can't explain anything outside of England, they stop looking for the essence behind the appearance. the actual content of the book is basically a very basic summary of other people's research with a veneer of theory stuck on top.

you can criticize Brenner and Wallerstein but at least they tried to explain the world rather than merely describe it. and as someone who has studied the collapse of feudalism in Korea and the aborted rise of capitalism, justifying this with the boogeymonster of 'eurocentrism' doesn't scare me. I think for every brilliant, creative, and sometimes organic intellectual there are thousands of parasites who have mediocre minds and are really just technically trained researchers who have to publish books to get tenure. maybe it's always been that way or at least the number of brilliant people hasn't changed but it does make reading anything that isn't already a Marxist classic or something heavily recommended by normal, non-academic human beings a losing proposition. We were lucky to have the LF reading list which led me to many good books even though looking back on it now a large majority was liberal garbage. The kids now really are lost at sea after they read Capital if they are even capable of reading something that dense without constant facebook updates.

those are my rambly thoughts after sitting through another rant against 'Stalinist degeneration' just to get to something interesting and being disappointed.

babyhueypnewton posted:

sitting through another rant against 'Stalinist degeneration'

have you tried reading standing up?

have you tried reading with your ass.
all of roger ebert's books collecting reviews of movies he hated are real good. These include Your movie sucks, i hated hated hated this movie & a horrible experience of unbearable length more movies that suck. they are available at your local library.
[account deactivated]
i read Ancillary Justice last weekend while I was with my family and had nothing better to do. it won some awards, was written by a woman, and the protagonist is an AI that has trouble understanding gender. it made alt-right toadies so caremad about Cultural Marxism that they tried to stuff the ballot on the Hugo or Nebula awards or something. the book is a condemnation of imperialism and the shitty garbage future transhumanism will bring us, so that was nice. it has a shift in pacing in the middle that bored me a bit and i don't know if the author intended the climax to be as goofy as it is, but i had fun.

babyhueypnewton posted:

parasites who have mediocre minds

feels like someone just walked over my grave...

[account deactivated]
hell,
I'm reading
Midnight's Children -- Salman Rushdie
World-Systems Analysis: An Introduction -- Immanuel Wallerstein
One Dimensional Man -- Herbert Marcuse
https://theoutline.com/post/352/memes-do-not-matter the ultimate betrayal..

shriekingviolet posted:

i read Ancillary Justice last weekend while I was with my family and had nothing better to do. it won some awards, was written by a woman, and the protagonist is an AI that has trouble understanding gender. it made alt-right toadies so caremad about Cultural Marxism that they tried to stuff the ballot on the Hugo or Nebula awards or something. the book is a condemnation of imperialism and the shitty garbage future transhumanism will bring us, so that was nice. it has a shift in pacing in the middle that bored me a bit and i don't know if the author intended the climax to be as goofy as it is, but i had fun.

babyhueypnewton posted:

parasites who have mediocre minds

feels like someone just walked over my grave...

i like that it depicted artificial intelligence as basically autistic

cars posted:

https://theoutline.com/post/352/memes-do-not-matterthe ultimate betrayal..

*clears throat* former rhizzone poster zeitgeist.

I'm 137 pages into Caliban and the Witch and it's really good; I want to know more about the two centuries of high wages after the Black Death and the peasant's rebellion. I have a bad habit of getting more books out of the library than I can reasonably read but Federici inspired me to pick up Braudel's first volume of Capitalism and Civilization and Bloch's first volume of Feudal Society. The pictures are very very good too. I'm a little impatient and want to read about the witch hunt, which is th next chapter I think.
Just finished Perry Anderson's Passages from Antiquity to Feudalism and am about to start the sequel. It was good. Does anyone know if a similar work exists about asia that isn't trot garbage like A People's History of the World? I've pieced together an understanding of Korea but i have no overall picture nor a good grasp on asia, the flaws in the "asiatic mode of production" and what Marxist Leninists should replace it with, and how to integrate that into an understanding of imperialism. I'm a lot closer though bc Anderson does good work if you can read him in the present instead of the historical moment he was writing from.

babyhueypnewton posted:

I've pieced together an understanding of Korea but i have no overall picture nor a good grasp on asia, the flaws in the "asiatic mode of production" and what Marxist Leninists should replace it with, and how to integrate that into an understanding of imperialism

i've heard good things about Jairus Banaji's Theory as History, and its table of contents seems to suggest it might help, but I haven't personally read it.

here's mccaine's review fwiw

Constantignoble posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

I've pieced together an understanding of Korea but i have no overall picture nor a good grasp on asia, the flaws in the "asiatic mode of production" and what Marxist Leninists should replace it with, and how to integrate that into an understanding of imperialism

i've heard good things about Jairus Banaji's Theory as History, and its table of contents seems to suggest it might help, but I haven't personally read it.

here's mccaine's review fwiw

Thanks for the rec. From what i can tell Banaji is an old trot (probably why mccain likes him) but might still be useful for stimulating ideas and further research. Ill check this out and be grumpy about it

tears posted:

Might read Thompson's Makings of the English Working Class next as I seem to be on a book reading high.

500 pages in and i've just about had enough words about weavers, thomas paine, coresponding societies and methodism for a lifetime....only another 450 pages left to go -_-

Finished settlers and put Thompson to one side for now and now I'm reading:
Zak Cope - Divided World Divided Class
Walter Rodney - How Europe Underdevelped Africa
Josephus - The Jewish War

too many books, who the hell wrote all these books
zak cope, walter rodney and josephus
[account deactivated]
oh i know. dont you worry abou that.
to know the authors of old smart books is my real test. to train them is my cause
[account deactivated]
validate me by the books i am reading, authours living, authours dead
[account deactivated]
donaldhughes.ca

cars posted:

josephus

the methuselah of smug

i don't know, i like the part where he's talking about Jesus and he's like (Roger Meyers Jr. poochie voice) He Was The Christ. probably tough for a jew to admit back then & sort of admirable.
Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle, Fourth Edition - Cohen, Curd and Reeve

babyhueypnewton posted:

Vivek Chibber's first book was a comparison between India and South Korea's post-war industrialization efforts from a Marxist perspective. unfortunately, i don't know of anything that covers as broad a territory as Anderson's work

i really liked Passages and it tied together a lot of disparate strands for me, but i read it in the sleep-deprived haze that newborns bring, so i could only read maybe 10-15 pages at a time before falling asleep and by the end it was agony and i just wanted it to be over no matter how interesting it was