Be really careful crossing streetcar tracks if you bike in a city that has them. I got a concussion this summer from that shit.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

im buying a bicycle tomorrow, it's one of these

any tips for first time riding a bicycle in like 20 years rhizzone??

if you haven't been on a pedal bike in years you should take it easy your first time out and ride... very carefully!!

tpaine posted:

probably not, he would have had to cut horn holes in them

that would be super cute though

Edited by shriekingviolet ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Yeah if you wear some light gloves your fingers will hurt less after a long ride
i've been riding the same bike i bought when i was 12 for over 20 years now. the frame is a bit small, and i've been itching to get a new one, but it's hard to justify when the thing is still in good condition and bike shops are such a ripoff these days.

buuuut now that i've got some time off work and discovered the chinese carbon manufacturers on aliexpress, i'm planning on building another bike that will hopefully last me the rest of my life. chinese carbon is just so cheap now its hard to say no. i want to build a 1x11speed rigid 29er mountain bike that i can use with slicks in the city, but can also have the fork and/or frame swapped out for suspension if i get the chance to ride more trails in the future. it'll probably be around $1500usd fully outfitted with close to top of the line components

something like this:

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

oh, there aren't any here. did you wear a helmet

I was wearing a helmet, but my jaw hit the pavement so it was of no use . I would had to have been wearing a mouthguard.

[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

Yeah if you wear some light gloves your fingers will hurt less after a long ride

i just found a great deal on mudguards for my racer, which is also the prettiest of all 80s bikes

2017 will be the year i get back into cycling properly. back in 2013 i could do 60 miles nonstop and now i have shitty toothpick legs

i stole these pictures from some other nerd
build massive satyr thighs/hips using the abduction/adduction machines. or you can freeweight them but that involves sex so it's not recommended.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

not really sure how welcome you are in this thread, cars

Is his name really cars though? because i've surmised, through lurking praxis, that it is something else.

[account deactivated]

RTC posted:

tpaine posted:

not really sure how welcome you are in this thread, cars

Is his name really cars though? because i've surmised, through lurking praxis, that it is something else.

it's carson

i still need to buy a bike that can take full fenders. these half ass ones are owning me extremely hard
[account deactivated]
any bike that can't take proper mudguards/fenders is failaids and unsoviet
Fenders = Dead weight = Less distance out of more sandwiches
bike weight is the least important thing known to man. more important is rolling resistance and rider comfort

also they just look better

[account deactivated]
what? you don't stand on the pegs in twisties except on dirt
[account deactivated]

Horselord posted:

bike weight is the least important thing known to man. more important is rolling resistance and rider comfort

also they just look better

I've already achieved frictionless forward motion and If i wanted Comfort I Would Lease One Of Those Mobile Sensory Deprivation Chambers Called " A Car" so all i have left is shaving quarter-ounces and wearing a lot of slick makeup and tight women's clothing to reduce drag

bourgie as fuck
swampman what's your sandwich to speed ratio? i find if i eat anything spicy my burps slow me down unless it's on corners and i tilt my head, then it gives me a good boost, also keeps the taxis away because it looks like im about to vomit
I don't think fenders look better than 'nude', if you will. The simpler the better, imho tbqh.

If I had the guts I would even get a fixed gear with no brakes, some white wheels, like this:

It's pretty flat where I live, so that helps.
thats a shameful "fixie"

converting an old steel racer is fair enough but the cheapass colour coordinated boat anchor rims and spokes scream "i get my inspiration from walmart bikes". also he's painted over the headset cups and the gear ratio looks wack so you know the guy has no idea what he's doing

you literally never see that style done on off the peg bikes that aren't trash, they're a product of marketing companies seeing the fixed gear trend and deciding that they can make a shitload of money scamming idiots who's main concern is having a wide choice in colour schemes. see: state bicycle co, purefix, mango bikes

if you dont want to be a failson you either build a ratty oldtimer looking conversion harking back to say english clubman bikes (raleigh lenton etc, see my post on page 2) or if you're a yankee you can mailorder a Kilo TT pro. I guess there's also Cinelli Mash frames or that polish framebuilder who does cheap custom alu but at that point you have to ask yourself why spend so much money on the simplest kind of bike

anyway i found an arty shot of what my beater looked like around april. it has an engine and shit on it now so probably febuaryish i'll buy another beater and recreate this setup but better

[account deactivated]
more importantly than any of the bike words, does that bike still have that "marx, engels, lenin, stalin - smash capitalism" sticker on the back?
yes but its faded and a little torn up

where can i get more of those
[account deactivated]
i used to ride my bike in uni. its really flat there so i got a beach cruiser with full fenders and also a basket to hold my meals for the day. the sucker was long and i could ride it with no hands because of the center of gravity or something. not sure if i would want to ride a bike with no gears in the city tho

Horselord posted:

if you dont want to be a failson you either build a ratty oldtimer looking conversion harking back to say english clubman bikes (raleigh lenton etc, see my post on page 2) or if you're a yankee you can mailorder a Kilo TT pro. I guess there's also Cinelli Mash frames or that polish framebuilder who does cheap custom alu but at that point you have to ask yourself why spend so much money on the simplest kind of bike

"Yeah, I'm a pretty big bike guy. Cinelli, Morello, Buodofuco, that kind of stuff. Lol you kids probably couldn't even name 3 Polish Framebuilders."