blinkandwheeze posted:
The choice was not between siding with tiny Syria or with the mighty United States, but between allowing the first world power to destroy yet another government or upsetting the balance of power to create a more just international order in which Russia has a say.

lmao ok i got to this point and there were about a billion alarm bells ringing in my head and then i realised that this whole thing is literally written by a truther

shennong posted:
lmao ok i got to this point and there were about a billion alarm bells ringing in my head and then i realised that this whole thing is literally written by a truther

yea but at least it's a truther who has actually spent time reporting from the field in syria, you know?

Thierry Meyssan Ownssan

blinkandwheeze posted:

shennong posted:

yea but at least it's a truther who has actually spent time reporting from the field in syria, you know?

yeah its just that the guy sounds like a russian propaganda stooge and is saying substantially different things from other journos that i know and trust like nir rosen (who has been in and out of Syria for the past year or so), so when you add in the fact that the dude obviously has pretty poor analytical skills i'm not really inclined to take anything he says at face value

admittedly nir also has shown himself to have occasionally spectacularly bad judgement like when he tweeted that that cbs anchor who got raped in tahrir was a war monger and was prob just felt up and he got fired from his NYU position lol
angry arab was trashing nir rosen up and down for producing nothing but "compilations of misinformation, exaggerations and lies" re: syria. i like his work on iraq though too so i feel ur pain
i still dont really trust anything ive read so far except that arab league observers report
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:
angry arab was trashing nir rosen up and down for producing nothing but "compilations of misinformation, exaggerations and lies" re: syria. i like his work on iraq though too so i feel ur pain

man, i didnt see this stuff at all.

so, Nir admits that the armed men of Free Syrian Army kill people but he reports that they only kill Shabbihah (armed goons of the regime). Nir: tell the families of the innocent `Alawites who were butchered and lynched in Homs that their loved ones were Shabbihah.

where is AA getting this stuff from? it would be really sad if Nir's fucking up the story this badly

lizzie phelan ftw
[account deactivated]

Nir Rosen reports from Homs. His article is simply an anthology of exaggerations, claims, rumors, fabrications, lies, deceptions and inventions by the Saudi/Qatari-supported Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Nir did not even bother to talk to any side except the side that killed the French journalist. Oh, yes: Nir did mention sectarian attacks on innocent `Alawites in one line: "Members of the Alawite community in Homs, as well as security officials, claimed that Alawites had been killed by mortars originating from Sunni areas." Notice that news of their killing is merely "claims".

http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/02/nir-rosen-on-homs.html

http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/02/corrective-to-western-media-take-on.html
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/02/thomas-friedman-officially-justifies.html

Edited by babyfinland ()

tpaine posted:

Crow posted:
lizzie phelan ftw

*blurts out* this! *realizes he said it prematurely and looks around quizzically* who is lizzie phelan, again? i mean uh, you know, what were her major works? brain fart over here, haha *awkwardly shrugs, pees a little*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3SU9qUAkSg#t=16m48s

Fat NTC tard gets 0wned by young journo LIZZIE PHELAN, FTW

[account deactivated]
the truth is a sea cucumber
[account deactivated]
Lizzie Phelan
[account deactivated]
"nobody attack his people, brutal way, like Gaddafi, back in history, go back all the history, the 80 years before christ, and come on to 2011, you wont find one person killed his people brutal way like Gaddafi" :grey fucker parrot:
[account deactivated]
"TO Liz, With Love"

TOM: HUuh?? Wow lookit this retart.. *hides his Popeye chicken grease-stained v-day card to Angry Arab* Heeh, pathetic.. *farts off into atmosphere on huge gravy chemtrails*
MEANWHILE, IN LIBYA...

Outrage as Libya tells United Nations: 'Gays threaten the future of the human race'

A Libyan delegate sparked outrage after telling a United Nations human rights panel that gay people threaten the future of the human race.

The unnamed official made the remarks as violence based on sexual orientation was being discussed.

His outburst came despite the new Libyan leaders promising to respect human rights following the downfall of Colonel Gaddafi.

Libya were only recently restored to the 47-nations UN Human Rights Council.
The delegate said that the topics being discussed 'affect religion and the continuation and reproduction of the human race', the non-governmental organisation UN Watch reported.

He also claimed that Libya would have opposed a resolution that denounced violence on the grounds of sexual orientation last June, if they had not been suspended.

The homophobic remarks sparked an angry backlash and an immediate rebuke from the UN Human Rights council president Laura Dupuy Lasserre.

She said: 'The Human Rights Council is here to defend human rights and prevent discrimination.'

Hillel Neuer, executive director of UN Watch who led a campaign to have Gaddafi's Libya thrown off the council said following the remarks: 'This is not the Arab Spring we hoped for.'

Mr Neuer added: 'The homophobic outburst by the new Libyan government, together with its routine abuse of prisoners and other ongoing violations, underscores the serious questions many have about the new regime's commitment to improving on the dark record of its predecessor.'

Libya were thrown off the Human Rights Council in March last year but allowed back on in November after the death of Gaddafi.

While the dictator was in power, gays were routinely flogged and imprisoned, human rights experts have claimed.

The Human Rights Council is separate from the UN General Assembly - and with 47 members it is a lot smaller.

As they were re-instated, Ibrahim Dabbashi, deputy UN envoy, said: 'the new Libya deserves to return to the Human Rights Council to contribute with other members to the promotion of values of human rights.'
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
damn qaddafi, not for the atrocities committed against queer people following his regime's demise, but for the inevitable legislative remarks speaking on behalf of queer people.
[account deactivated]
Syrian ghost at Indian, Pakistani doorstep

The Arab League is faltering since the ‘Gulf Arabs’ usurped the leadership of Arabism. Historically, Cairo, Baghdad and Damascus led the way — the brain, heart and soul of the Arab world. But with Iraq in debris, Cairo in transition and Damascus in disarray, the Persian Gulf oligarchies are having a ball. Saudi Arabia and Qatar are forcing the pace of the AL’s intervention in Syria.

Not a week passes without an AL ‘initiative’. The last one was for an AL peacekeeping force. But AL has no army and Syrian rebels are a motley crowd and how do you work out a ceasefire? With whom? The Syrian regime then came to the AL’s rescue by asking it to get lost.

On Sunday, AL was back with a bang. After an acrimonious Foreign Minister level meeting in Cairo, Qatar and Saudi Arabia forced a resolution through which inter alia urges Arabs to “provide all kinds of political and material support” to the Syrian opposition. The slang is borrowed from the United States and Israel when they threaten Iran - ‘all options’. Simply put, Qataris and the Saudis now have the AL mandate legitimising their arming and inciting Syrian dissdents and various jihadi groups to kickstart a civil war in Syria.

Meanwhile, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia made a Kafkaesque speech, lamenting the state of the contemporary world which is bereft of brains, justice, morals and fairness. He was campaigning for the resolution coming up in the UN General Assembly which might be put to vote on Thursday, condemning the Syrian regime and asking for withdrawal of troops from civilian areas but making no demands on the opposition.

The UNGA resolution is not binding but it will nonetheless resonate on the world stage. The intention behind the resolution is to debunk the move by the Syrian authorities to hold a referendum on a new constitution that provides for wide-ranging reforms including multi-party system, independent judiciary, etc.

The Saudis won’t be satisfied with anything short of regime change in Damascus. For Abdullah, this has become a personal crusade. The Saudis are moving in tandem with Turkey and the US. Turkish FM Ahmet Davutoglu who held 5 days of consultations in Washington, has ominously spoken of a “humanitarian initiative”. Hillary Clinton promised to “increase outreach to opposition both inside and outside of Syria.”

Davutoglu also met US defence secretary Leon Panetta, who praised Turkey for its stellar role as a NATO member country. The indications are that Davutoglu may have discussed with the US officials the possibility of establishing a so-called ‘buffer zone’ in the northern part of Syria bordering Turkey that includes Idlib and the regions surrounding the city.

Quite clearly, it is Libya all over again. A ‘Friends of Syria’ grouping is being formed on the pattern of what the West and its Arab allies formed on Libya prior to the intervention. The first meeting of the FOS will take place next Tuesday in Tunisia, the birthplace of the ‘Arab Spring’.

Now comes the big question: After voting with the AL resolution in the UN Security Council, and after the hugely successful visit by Defence Minister A,K. Antony to Riyadh this week, will India join the FOS? It all depends on how the mandarins choose to define India’s ’self-interests’ by next week after perusing Antony’s tour report.

From all accounts, King Abdullah made a special gesture receiving Antony immediately upon his arrival. He held out the offer of increased Saudi oil supplies for India.

But what interests India more is that the Saudis are embarking on an enormous military expansion and the prospects of securing a share of the green money. The Saudi are adding adding 125000 men to their 150000-strong army; adding another 125000 men to their 100000-strong National Guard; buying ships and sea-skimming missiles worth 30 billion dollars; adding another 500 planes to the air force; boosting the police force by 60000 men.

They want help to train their men to behave like soldiers; the want to ‘exercise’ their navy and maintain and service their high-tech equipments, build army barracks and logistics and of course train the personnel how to put down mob violence in the rebellious Shi’ite-dominated eastern provinces. India fervently hopes that it has a role to play, as the setting up of the joint defence group suggests.

Now, all this Saudi mobilisation for war is in addition to the “instant deterrent” they can command “in the form of the Pakistani nuclear arsenal that the Saudis are widely believed to have helped finance” — this according to none other than the terribly well-informed David Ignatius of WaPo.

To my mind, the Saudis have worked out a tidy division of labour here — subcontracting to the Indians and Pakistanis alike so that both are kept happy and will sing the Saudi song on Syria.

Indian can help train the Saudi soldiers who will fight wars under the guarantee of a Pakistani nuclear umbrella. Howzaat? To my mind, this could as well have been a joint visit to Riyadh by Antony and Pakistani army chief Ashfaq Kayani. Maybe, with A Q Khan as ‘expert’?

http://blogs.rediff.com/mkbhadrakumar/2012/02/16/syrian-ghost-at-indian-pakistani-doorstep/

http://www.iwallerstein.com/syrian-impasse/

Bachar al-Assad has risen to the heights of being one of the least popular men in the world. He is denounced as a tyrant, indeed a very bloody tyrant, by almost everyone. Even those governments that refuse to denounce him seem to be counseling him to curb his repressive ways and to make some sort of political concessions to his internal opponents.

So, how is it that he ignores all this advice and proceeds to continue to use maximum force to continue political control of Syria? Why is there no outside intervention to force his removal from office? To answer these questions, let us start with assessing his strengths. To start with, he has a reasonably strong army, and up to now, with a few exceptions, the army and other structures of force in the country have stayed loyal to the regime. Secondly, he still seems to command the support of at least half of the population in what is increasingly being described as a civil war.

The key government posts and the officer corps are in the hands of the Alawi, a branch of Shi’a Islam. The Alawi are a minority of the population and certainly fear what would happen to them if the opposition forces, largely Sunni, were to come to power. In addition, the other significant minority forces – the Christians, the Druze, and the Kurds – seem to be equally wary of a Sunni government. Finally, the large merchant bourgeoisie have yet to turn against Assad and the Baath regime.

But is this really enough? If this were all, I doubt that Assad could really hold out much longer. The regime is being squeezed economically. The opposition Free Syrian Army is being fed arms by Iraqi Sunnis and probably Qatar. And the chorus of denunciations in the world press and by politicians of all stripes grows louder by the day

Yet, I don’t think that, a year or two from now, we will find that Assad is gone or the regime basically changed. The reason is that those who are denouncing him the loudest do not really want him to go. Let us take them one by one.

Saudi Arabia: The Foreign Minister told the New York Times that “violence had to be stopped and the Syrian government not given any more chances.” This sounds really strong until you notice that he added that “international intervention had to be ruled out.” The fact is that Saudi Arabia wants the credit of opposing Assad but is very afraid of a successor government. It knows that in a post-Assad (probably fairly anarchic) Syria, al-Qaeda would find a base. And the Saudis know that al-Qaeda’s number one objective is to overthrow the Saudi regime. Ergo, “no international intervention.”

Israel: Yes, the Israelis continue to obsess about Iran. And yes, Baathist Syria continues to be an Iran-friendly power. But when all is said and done, Syria has been a relatively quiet Arab neighbor, an island of stability for the Israelis. Yes, the Syrians aid Hezbollah, but Hezbollah too has been relatively quiet. Why would the Israelis really want to take the risk of a turbulent post-Baathist Syria? Who would then wield power, and might they not have to improve their credentials by expanding jihad against Israel? And wouldn’t the fall of Assad lead to upsetting the relative quiet and stability that Lebanon now seems to enjoy, and might this not end up with the further strengthening and renewed radicalism of Hezbollah? Israel has a lot to lose, and not too much to gain, if Assad falls.

The United States: The U.S. government talks a good line. But have you noticed how wary it is in practice? The Washington Post headlined an article on Feb. 11, “As carnage builds, U.S. sees `no good options’ on Syria.” The story points out that the U.S. government has “no appetite for a military intervention.” No appetite, despite the pressure of neocon intellectuals like Charles Krauthammer who is honest enough to admit “it’s not just about freedom.” It’s really, he says, about undoing the regime in Iran.

But isn’t that exactly why Obama and his advisors see no good options? They were pressured into the Libyan operation. The U.S. didn’t lose many lives, but did they really gain geopolitical advantage as a result? Is the new Libyan regime, if one can say there is a new Libyan regime, something better? Or is this the beginning of a long internal instability, as Iraq has turned out to be?

So, when Russia vetoed the U.N. resolution on Syria, I can imagine a sigh of relief in Washington. The pressure to up the ante and begin a Libyan-style intervention was lifted. Obama was protected against Republican harassment on Syria by the Russian veto. And Susan Rice, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, could shift all blame to the Russians. They were “disgusting,” she said, oh so diplomatically.

France: Always nostalgic for their once-dominant role in Syria, Foreign Minister Alain Juppé shouts and denounces. But troops? You’ve got to be kidding. There’s an election coming up, and sending troops would not be at all popular, especially since this would be no piece of cake, as was Libya.

Turkey: Turkey has improved its relations with the Arab world incredibly in the last decade. It’s definitely unhappy about the civil war on its borders. It would love to see some kind of political compromise. But Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu is quoted as guaranteeing that “Turkey is not providing arms or support to army defectors.” Turkey wants essentially to be friends to all sides. And besides, Turkey has its own Kurdish question, and Syria might offer active support, which hitherto it has refrained from doing.

So, who wants to intervene in Syria? Perhaps Qatar. But Qatar, however wealthy it is, is scarcely a major military power. The bottom line is that, however loud the rhetoric and however ugly the civil war, no one really, really wants Assad to go. So, in all probability, he will stay.

Wallerstein on Syria

Bachar al-Assad has risen to the heights of being one of the least popular men in the world. He is denounced as a tyrant, indeed a very bloody tyrant, by almost everyone. Even those governments that refuse to denounce him seem to be counseling him to curb his repressive ways and to make some sort of political concessions to his internal opponents.

So, how is it that he ignores all this advice and proceeds to continue to use maximum force to continue political control of Syria? Why is there no outside intervention to force his removal from office? To answer these questions, let us start with assessing his strengths. To start with, he has a reasonably strong army, and up to now, with a few exceptions, the army and other structures of force in the country have stayed loyal to the regime. Secondly, he still seems to command the support of at least half of the population in what is increasingly being described as a civil war.

The key government posts and the officer corps are in the hands of the Alawi, a branch of Shi’a Islam. The Alawi are a minority of the population and certainly fear what would happen to them if the opposition forces, largely Sunni, were to come to power. In addition, the other significant minority forces – the Christians, the Druze, and the Kurds – seem to be equally wary of a Sunni government. Finally, the large merchant bourgeoisie have yet to turn against Assad and the Baath regime.

But is this really enough? If this were all, I doubt that Assad could really hold out much longer. The regime is being squeezed economically. The opposition Free Syrian Army is being fed arms by Iraqi Sunnis and probably Qatar. And the chorus of denunciations in the world press and by politicians of all stripes grows louder by the day

Yet, I don’t think that, a year or two from now, we will find that Assad is gone or the regime basically changed. The reason is that those who are denouncing him the loudest do not really want him to go. Let us take them one by one.

Saudi Arabia: The Foreign Minister told the New York Times that “violence had to be stopped and the Syrian government not given any more chances.” This sounds really strong until you notice that he added that “international intervention had to be ruled out.” The fact is that Saudi Arabia wants the credit of opposing Assad but is very afraid of a successor government. It knows that in a post-Assad (probably fairly anarchic) Syria, al-Qaeda would find a base. And the Saudis know that al-Qaeda’s number one objective is to overthrow the Saudi regime. Ergo, “no international intervention.”

Israel: Yes, the Israelis continue to obsess about Iran. And yes, Baathist Syria continues to be an Iran-friendly power. But when all is said and done, Syria has been a relatively quiet Arab neighbor, an island of stability for the Israelis. Yes, the Syrians aid Hezbollah, but Hezbollah too has been relatively quiet. Why would the Israelis really want to take the risk of a turbulent post-Baathist Syria? Who would then wield power, and might they not have to improve their credentials by expanding jihad against Israel? And wouldn’t the fall of Assad lead to upsetting the relative quiet and stability that Lebanon now seems to enjoy, and might this not end up with the further strengthening and renewed radicalism of Hezbollah? Israel has a lot to lose, and not too much to gain, if Assad falls.

The United States: The U.S. government talks a good line. But have you noticed how wary it is in practice? The Washington Post headlined an article on Feb. 11, “As carnage builds, U.S. sees `no good options’ on Syria.” The story points out that the U.S. government has “no appetite for a military intervention.” No appetite, despite the pressure of neocon intellectuals like Charles Krauthammer who is honest enough to admit “it’s not just about freedom.” It’s really, he says, about undoing the regime in Iran.

But isn’t that exactly why Obama and his advisors see no good options? They were pressured into the Libyan operation. The U.S. didn’t lose many lives, but did they really gain geopolitical advantage as a result? Is the new Libyan regime, if one can say there is a new Libyan regime, something better? Or is this the beginning of a long internal instability, as Iraq has turned out to be?

So, when Russia vetoed the U.N. resolution on Syria, I can imagine a sigh of relief in Washington. The pressure to up the ante and begin a Libyan-style intervention was lifted. Obama was protected against Republican harassment on Syria by the Russian veto. And Susan Rice, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, could shift all blame to the Russians. They were “disgusting,” she said, oh so diplomatically.

France: Always nostalgic for their once-dominant role in Syria, Foreign Minister Alain Juppé shouts and denounces. But troops? You’ve got to be kidding. There’s an election coming up, and sending troops would not be at all popular, especially since this would be no piece of cake, as was Libya.

Turkey: Turkey has improved its relations with the Arab world incredibly in the last decade. It’s definitely unhappy about the civil war on its borders. It would love to see some kind of political compromise. But Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu is quoted as guaranteeing that “Turkey is not providing arms or support to army defectors.” Turkey wants essentially to be friends to all sides. And besides, Turkey has its own Kurdish question, and Syria might offer active support, which hitherto it has refrained from doing.

So, who wants to intervene in Syria? Perhaps Qatar. But Qatar, however wealthy it is, is scarcely a major military power. The bottom line is that, however loud the rhetoric and however ugly the civil war, no one really, really wants Assad to go. So, in all probability, he will stay.

http://www.iwallerstein.com/syrian-impasse/

This is a far more adventurous proposition than the one I've been making i/r/t Iran, but it follows the same logic

Edited by babyfinland ()

lol
BABY FINLAND BEATEN AGAIN
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

The conventional picture of US policy in the Middle East is of a hellbound train rushing toward war with Iran, pulling burning coaches filled with European passengers howling praise of Western values out the windows at horrified bystanders. Actually, I think it’s more like a monster truck exhibition. Lots of sound, fury, testosterone, and bravado, but just spinning wheels, spewing mud, roaring in circles, and going nowhere.

What is very interesting is that China, usually an apostle of non-interference, believes it has something to contribute to the Syrian situation, probably for two reasons: 1) it needs to road-test some new approaches to managing and accommodating dissent in anticipation of the day when Arab-Spring type upheavals become an important factor in China and 2) the current situation is so screwed up the Chinese feel they can make a genuine contribution.

Though Russia has the lead role as defender of the Syrian regime, China has been following the situation closely. One of the appendixes to the infamously suppressed Arab League report on Syria listed representatives of foreign media who had been allowed into the country; a large number of them were Chinese, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them, as Xinhua is known to do, were wearing intel hats in addition to their journalist roles.

Interestingly, the Angry Arab news service noted an interview Al Jazeera Arabic did with China’s Foreign Ministry desk officer for Syria and remarked: “ His Arabic is as good as the best Arabic speakers. It is incredible. I never ever met an American diplomat with this fluency. I mean that. And his pronunciation is so excellent that it carries no trace of a Chinese accent.”

Maybe the Chinese—highly dependent on Saudi and Iranian oil, with a government apparatus largely insulated from global and Israeli pressure, and providing generous human and financial resources to a foreign service designed to help China navigate through a dangerous neighborhood without the crutch of a dominating military presence—knows the Middle East better than we do?

For the sake of American peace of mind, maybe we’d better stick to the image of the PRC team as amoral, callous, resource-grubbing apparatchiks who know the address of every Chinese restaurant in the Middle East but little else.

Anyway, Syria represents an interesting case in the dynamics of great power diplomacy and rivalry in the Middle East. My take on the situation is that the United States is willing to let the GCC chew up Syria as a consolation prize for not going all out on regime change against Iran. China, I feel, has a diametrically opposite mindset: it thinks it has placated Saudi Arabia adequately on Iran (mainly by hosing Iran on energy pricing and not stepping up in a major way to crack the sanctions blockade that is beggaring the Iran’s economy and its citizens), so they feel they have the right to be treated as grown-ups with ideas worth listening to on Syria.

Since the West believes it has a monopoly on moral and political wisdom, that’s probably not going to happen. But it’s interesting that the Chinese are trying.

According to the authoritarian playbook preferred by China, Syria’s President Assad is doing the right things: driving a wedge between the “loyal opposition” to his rule and hard-core rebels and revolutionaries through the use of targeted amnesties and concessions; forcefully isolating and suppressing violent political dissenters; incrementally escalating the use of military force to regain control of militia-held strongholds like Homs; and offering a way out with a new constitution.

Perhaps he has done the right things, but not in the right way; or perhaps not enough. As the harsh crackdown approaching its first-year anniversary, the Assad regime has profoundly alienated a significant portion of its population. Reconciliation and stability is going to take more than a new constitution, delivered with a pat on the head and an apology from the government.

A necessary and dangerous process of accommodation and power sharing will be needed.

China perhaps has grasped this point even more clearly than Russia, or the Assad regime itself. As Syria and Western/Arab policy on Syria lurch from crisis to crisis, China may watch for opportunities to advance its strategy.

This weekend, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhai Jun will visit Damascus to try to create some space for a “third path” political strategy, one that eschews both regime change and perpetuation of the status quo for a process of evolutionary reform keyed on the new constitution.

The draft Syrian constitution is a multi-faceted political document. It accommodates a multi-party system, addressing a key grievance of many moderate Syrians, but still offers the Ba’ath Party various advantages. It outlaws “religion-based parties,” in order to wrong-foot Assad’s mortal enemy, the Muslim Brotherhood, but stipulates that the president must be a Muslim, in order to appease conservative Muslims.

Assad has announced a referendum on the new constitution will be held on February 26.

It would be very interesting to see how the constitutional referendum played out, and what level of support the government could still command after a heavy-handed one year crackdown.

[deleted some stuff about syria-specific imperialist realities of "humanitarian intervention"]

In the western media, only the Syrian National Council, or SNC, exists as the voice of Syrian opposition. The real situation is considerably more complicated and opposition to Assad is by no means typified by the SNC.

In fact it is a remarkable testament to the bankruptcy of the West/GCC’s Syria policy that the horse they have chosen to back is, to a large extent, a corrupt congeries of exiles with virtually no presence inside Syria and dominated by the Sunni Islamist militants of the Muslim Brotherhood, a group that has languished in exile for almost three decades.

At the end of January, 2012, Foreign Policy’s Justin Vela wrote:

A wide range of activists and diplomats are voicing concerns with the SNC, criticizing its lack of cohesion and effectiveness. While the majority of them have not given up on the council, they paint a picture of an organization out of touch with the protesters on the ground and dominated by the Syrian Muslim Brotherhood.

"No one from the SNC has influence inside Syria. Most members of the SNC are jumping on a train that started from the street," says Ammar Qurabi, a Syrian human rights activist…

The most divisive issue surrounding the SNC, however, clearly remains the prominent role played by the Muslim Brotherhood. "The Muslim Brotherhood is the only party in town," says the Ankara-based Western diplomat.

The Brothers have been exiled from Syria for 30 years after losing a bitter armed conflict with the regime in the 1980s, and some activists distrust its outlook on democracy and the future composition of a post-Assad government…

It appears that the Brotherhood’s insistence on overthrowing the Assad government is informed by its awareness that, whatever feelings Assad has about accommodating the aspirations of democratically-inspired dissidents, they do not extend to the MB.

The Brotherhood’s best hope for a major, indeed dominant political role inside Syria requires regime collapse and the exploitation of the MB’s superior discipline and organization in the ensuing chaos to establish itself as the voice of conservative, orthodox Sunni Islam (the dominant confession in Syria) as their associates did so successfully (and to the chagrin of many secularly-inclined liberals) in Egypt.

Despite its lack of a Syrian presence and its apparently sectarian character, the SNC has been recognized as “the legitimate interlocutor of the Syrian people” by 16 governments, including the United States, several EU countries, and several Arab states.

Reading between the lines, however, most countries are anxiously trying to reconcile their desire to see Assad fall with a queasy awareness that the SNC is perhaps a sectarian, Islamist train wreck ready to happen. The only authority to give the SNC full recognition is similarly named (and equally shaky) Libyan National Council. The rest of the 16 nations have offered vigorous lip service to the SNC in an effort to buttress its prestige, but have as yet declined to recognize it as the legitimate voice of the Syrian people.

It seems the main function of the SNC is to vocally implore—and thereby justify—foreign intervention in Syria.

Though unheard in the West, there are other opposition groups that don’t share the Muslim Brotherhood’s maximalist rejection of negotiation with the Assad regime.

The main in-country dissident organization, the National Coordination Committee, accepts a platform of negotiations with Assad.

In fact, the head of the SNC, Burhan Ghalioun, attempted to achieve a unified opposition with a significant presence both inside and outside Syria by allying with the NCC.

Justin Vela describes the outcome of Ghalioun’s attempt to abandon the no-negotiation/ foreign-intervention franchise in favor of a broad-based movement:

One particularly damaging stumble occurred when SNC Chairman Burhan Ghalioun signed a draft agreement with the National Coordination Committee, a Syrian opposition group largely based inside the country, in an attempt to unite the two groups. The agreement rejected foreign military intervention and called for dialogue with the regime, conditions that infuriated many Syrian activists. In the face of widespread opposition, Ghalioun backed away from the agreement.

The PRC has, for the most part, let Russia take a leadership role in making the anti-regime-change case for Syria.

However, on February 4, China’s Global Times posted an op-ed, “Third Path” for Syria, which laid out a vision for a resolution of the Syrian crisis that called for compromise—and an active role for China:

History shows regime changes in restive regions mean endless turmoil and uncertainty. Therefore the Syrian opposition does not need to be that ambitious. Threats against al-Assad will persist as they always have. Compromises on critical issues in exchange for a "soft landing" of his country seem to be a good deal for him.

Interestingly, the article—which may not represent a formal policy of the Chinese government but undoubtedly represents at the very least the informed view of a faction within it—hinted at a decoupling from Russia’s approach, seemingly characterizing Russia, but not China, as a die-hard supporter of Assad.
[A]l-Assad is backed by the Russians. If a war between Western and Russian "agents" occurs in Syria, as is speculated to happen by some in the European media, it would be an arduous and prolonged battle… China is obviously seeking to assume an active role. The busiest mediators on the world stage are not necessarily stronger than China.

Russia can be an ally in advocating a "third path."

The Global Times op-ed can be regarded as a warning to Russia, which, through its vigorous and vocal defense of the Assad regime, has become identified as its uncritical and committed ally.

More importantly, it presented China not only as an impartial mediator, a role that Russia had sacrificed; it stated that China’s willingness, in contrast with its usual abhorrence of “interference in the affairs of sovereign states” to “assume an active role,” and even have Russia follow its lead.

Statements of Wen Jiabao also fed into this narrative:

"On the issue of Syria, what is most urgent and pressing now is to prevent war and chaos so that the Syrian people will be free from even greater suffering," Wen told a press conference after a China-EU summit in Beijing on Tuesday.

"To achieve this goal, China supports all efforts in consistence with the U.N. charter and principles, and we are ready to strengthen communication with all parties in Syria and the international community and continue to play a constructive role," Wen said, adding that China would "absolutely not protect any party, including the Syrian government," Chinese media reported.

Contrary to the wishful thinking of Western observers, Wen is not signaling that he is ready to throw Assad under the bus. Rather, the PRC is trying to save Assad—or, more accurately, promote a peaceful, incremental resolution to the Syrian crisis that leaves the current power structure reformed but to a significant degree intact—by positioning itself as an honest broker in the dispute.

Differences in the Russian and Chinese approaches can be seen in the choice of interlocutors among the non-SNC opposition.

Russia, with deeper ties to the current regime, appears to be placing its hopes for political resolution of the crisis on the “patriotic opposition”, a collection of eleven small parties closely associated with the Ba’ath Party and allowed to function even under the restrictive Section 8 of the current Syrian constitution.

In an article written in January 2012, a Russian journalist described a certain amount of political ferment he observed during a recent trip to Syria:

At present there are three main trends in the Syrian patriotic opposition – democratic, liberal and left, which is mainly a communist one. The Syrian Social Nationalist Party is the most influential party among the democratic forces. … the party’s program is more conservative in comparison with the Baath’s program. Nevertheless there are no differences of principle between the two parties. ..

The liberal trend of the opposition is represented by the recently registered secular democratic social movement led by Nabil Feysal… He is an outright opponent of the Islamic fundamentalism, supporter of the liberal democracy. His goal is to turn Syria into “Middle Eastern Denmark”.

The National Committee for the Unity of Syrian Communists is the most influential component of the left (communist) trend of the opposition within the country…headed by Qadri Jamil, a prominent Syrian economist and the professor at the Damascus University. He is the only representative of the opposition who entered the committee on the design of the new constitution…

It is not difficult to characterize these political parties (including one that defines itself as “more conservative than the Ba’ath” and having “no differences of principle” with the ruling party) as part of the regime’s strategy to hopelessly muddy the opposition waters and retain the upper hand in a multi-party environment.

Nevertheless, Qadri Jamil, the Syrian Communist, is the focus of friendly interest from Russia.

Jamil led a delegation to Moscow in October 2011. The Russian media carefully noted his rejection of foreign intervention, and obligingly publicized his opposition bona fides:

“Any interference in Syria’s domestic life will be interpreted as occupation”, the head of the delegation representing the Syrian opposition, Qadri Jamil, told journalists in Moscow.

“We are ready to do everything to stop violence and sit down for talks”, -Jamil said, adding that dialogue is the only possible way to settle the crisis.

Mr. Jamil stressed the importance of a new constitution for Syria, as well as reforms required to meet the needs of Syrians.

The opposition also demands the release of all political prisoners, including those detained during the recent riots.

Although Qadri Jamil is apparently the Syrian regime and Russia’s great hope for a peaceful transition to a multi-party future, he apparently enjoys no standing in the Syrian dissident and activist community.

China, on the other hand, appears to be turning to the considerably more credible (but equally opposed to foreign military intervention) National Coordination Committee as its preferred interlocutor with the forces of change transforming Syria.

In February, as the SNC-promoted and West/GCC backed UN resolution furor was nearing its height, China made the interesting decision to receive Haitham Manna, “vice chief coordinator and spokesperson abroad”of the NCC in Beijing, give him a meeting with Vice Foreign Minister Zhai Jun, and publicize the meeting with an official news release.

Furthermore, on February 10 the Ministry of Foreign Affairs posted spokesperson Liu Weimin’s response to two questions concerning Haitham Manna’s visit on its website, all indications that the NCC is, at least for China, in play.

Liu’s responses also promoted China’s position that it can interact with all Syrian opposition forces, including the SNC:

China has been in touch with major Syrian opposition groups over a stretch of time. During Chinese Special Envoy on the Middle East Issue Ambassador Wu Sike's visit to Syria last October, he met with leaders from the National Coordination Body for Democratic Change and other Syrian opposition groups. China has also made contact and maintained interactions with the National Council of Syria.

Reading between the lines, one can make the following deductions about the PRC’s calculations on Syria:

First, there is no clear consensus within the global community, in the Arab world, or even among the opposition for collapsing the Assad regime.

It looks like the US and Turkey are increasingly keen on Assad accepting a Yemen solution (obligingly floated by Tunisia)—for Assad to drift off into exile so the West can declare victory and turn its attention to other, easier matters while the locals slug it out for pre-eminence under the watchful eye of the Syrian army.

However, Assad, still enjoying a significant measure of support from Russia, China, and Iran, doesn’t seem willing to go anywhere.

There is a window of opportunity for the PRC to promote its desired outcome: reform of the Assad regime and its survival as a reasonably stable ally for China in the Middle East.

Second, the West, if not the GCC, is having second thoughts about its stated enthusiasm for acting as the SNC’s paymaster, arms supplier, and political and diplomatic ally.

The unpleasant experience in Egypt implies that catapulting the intransigent Muslim Brotherhood into a position of political advantage is not necessarily the formula for creating a stable, pro-Western, Israel-friendly democracy in Syria.

More worryingly, al-Qaeda’s enthusiastic attempt to piggyback on the spiraling unrest in Syria—and the car bombings in Aleppo which, if not the work of Zawahiri’s minions, can probably be traced back to al-Qaeda’s Gulf-funded Sunni Islamist fans in western Iraq—are a warning that backing the feckless SNC in an agenda of regime collapse is not going to be the carefree, Iran-bashing romp so many interventionists are advertising.

Third, if the US and Turkey are sufficiently squeamish about the possibility of negative outcomes in Syria, they may not facilitate the flood of arms, money, and advisors the Gulf states would probably be ready to unleash in order to implode the regime.

Fourth, there is a possibility that, as the crisis drags on, more activists and dissidents will decide they will not want to be part of the Muslim Brotherhood and its creature, the SNC. The SNC might split, leaving the MB in a marginalized rump organization while the secularists, liberals, and moderates i.e. those more likely to be willing to negotiate a political resolution with Assad migrate to the NCC (the possibility hinted at by Burhan Ghalioun’s abortive alliance between the SNC and the NCC).

The one observation that can be made about strategies relying on four contingencies is that they rarely work out.

For the West, the political benefits of posturing against Assad may well outweigh any qualms about the adverse consequences of further empowering the SNC and militarizing the conflict.

Nevertheless, even if China’s offers to mediate come to naught, the costs to China are minimal. If Assad’s regime collapses, so be it; China has its foot in the door of the New Syria through the NCC.

In any case, events inside Syria might soon escape the ability of anybody to control them—not Assad, not China or Russia, not the SNC, and not the GCC, NATO, or the West.

A poster (“who recently left Syria and has been working with opposition activists”) declared on the Syria Comment website of University of Oklahoma professor Josh Landis:

The Real Opposition in Syria is Not the Syrian National Council or Free Syrian Army
The real opposition is maturing and growing in influence inside and on the ground away from the influence of Qatar, Turkey, Saudi, France or the US. It is a matter of time before the regime gives way. Soon the SNC will be simply remembered as something like one of the many Iraqi opportunistic opposition groups that mushroomed just before the war on Iraq…New more realistic, mature, civic and political powers are taking shape on the ground and will be emerging as powerful players soon. Even if the regime survives this round, there will be new rounds between an exhausted regime and new re-envigorated opposition groups. Forget the SNC and the FSA if you want to talk about the future.

In other words, maybe the real opposition in Syria is someone we’ve never heard of. And maybe that’s a good thing.

http://chinamatters.blogspot.com/2012/02/china-steps-up-in-syria.html

Edited by babyfinland ()

FROM SNC to Israel with love: Israel and the Syrian National Council: the conspiracy thickens

Bassma Kodmani is a leading member of the leadership of the Syrian National Council. The US government--to my information--wanted her to succeed Burhan Ghalyun as leader of the council but Ghalyun threatened to resign if his mandate as leader is not extended for another term and with 99% of support from the...leaders themselves. Syrians have never heard of Ms. Kodmani and academics have not heard of Ms. Kodmani. Yet, Martin Indyk has heard good things of Ms. Kodmani and I guess that was sufficient to appoint her (all those democrats are appointed) as one of the leaders of the council. Yesterday, a video was posted in which Ms. Kodmani expresses her love and support for Israel. I honestly have never since Anwar Sadat days seen an Arab humiliate himself/herself as much as Kodmani has done to please Israel in this spectacle. She even mocks Islam and the Qur'an for the benefit of the assembled Israelis and Zionists and then proceeded to tell them that Arabs need Israel. Is there anyone out there who wishes to ask me why I am as opposed to this council as I am to the Ba`th rulers in Damascus? In fact, I never ever thought I would see someone more pathetic than Ba`thist rulers until I saw this video yesterday.

[account deactivated]