crustpunk_trotsky posted:
probably because society values the dignity and life of men less thanwomen; for more information pelase consult reddit.com/mensrights

hahah there's a lot of good info there

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-gilded-life-of-syrias-brutal-first-family-revealed-in-emails-20120315-1v5wd.html

As the international community struggled to absorb the bloodiest episode yet in Syria's brutal crackdown in Homs, Bashar al-Assad was in Damascus composing a private email to his wife, according to a cache of what appear to be emails from the Syrian first couple obtained by the Guardian.

It was February 5, 2012, and the previous day the president's artillery had pounded the restive city as never before, killing several hundred civilians and blowing up a makeshift hospital, according to opposition activists. In the capital, government forces reportedly took the lives of about a dozen mourners at a funeral. The UN security council was drawing up plans to act against the dictatorship.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Bashar and Asma al-Assad. Photo: AP

But Assad's email, using the pseudonym "Sam", reflected none of the bloody turmoil or diplomatic jeopardy facing his country. In a bizarre message apparently from the Syrian leader, he sent his wife the lyrics of a country and western song by the US singer Blake Shelton, and the audio file downloaded from iTunes.

Laden with self-pity, the communication appeared to exemplify the cocooned life of denial that Assad, his family and inner circle were leading while the country erupted around them. The first verse reads: "I've been a walking heartache / I've made a mess of me / The person that I've been lately / Ain't who I wanna be."

The note was one of dozens revealed in a cache of what Syrian activists claim are emails from the inboxes of Assad and his wife, Asma, that expose how Assad's coterie continued to enjoy a gilded lifestyle insulated from the slaughter around them.

The emails appear to show how tens of thousands of dollars were spent in internet shopping sprees on handmade furniture from London boutiques. Tens of thousands more were lavished on gold and gem-encrusted jewellery, chandeliers, expensive curtains and paintings to be shipped to the Middle East. While the country was rocked by Assad's crackdown on dissent, his inner circle was concerned about the possibility of getting hold of a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, or a new chocolate fondue set.

The details of the Assads' high living are likely to infuriate many Syrians who have had to negotiate shortages and other hardships in conflict-hit areas of the country. Anger over the wealth and profligacy of leaders' families has been a feature of the revolutions in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya.

On July 19, 2011, Asma al-Assad could be found placing orders with her cousin, Amal, for jewellery made by a small Paris workshop. She requested four necklaces: "1 turquoise with yellow gold diamonds and a small pave on side" as well as a corneline, "full black onyx" and "amethyst with white gold diamonds" of similar design.

Amal replied that she would "launch" the order in mid-August with a view to getting it done "by mid-September". On July 23, 2011, Asma said she didn't mind the delay and added self-deprecatingly: "I am absolutely clueless when it comes to fine jewellery!" She signed off as "aaa" with: "Kisses to you both, and don't worry, we are well!"
Others items that caught the fancy of Syria's first lady included a vase priced at £2650 ($3970). On June 17, 2011, she sent details to the family's London-based fixer Soulieman Marouf, and added: "Pls can abdulla see if this available at Harrods to order - they have a sale at the moment." Marouf replied with good news: "He bought it. Got 15% discount. Delivery 10 weeks." He added: "Today you should be receiving an Armani light. If you need anything else please let me know."

The emails suggest a woman preoccupied with shopping but also with an eye for a bargain. She was eager to claw back VAT (the British equivalent of GST) on luxury items shipped to Damascus, it emerges, and complained when a consignment of table lamps went missing in China. Emails sent from her personal account also concern the fate of a bespoke table, after it arrived with two "right" panels instead of a right and a left one. More than 50 emails to and from the UK deal with shopping.

Some of Asma al-Assad's prospective purchases arouse polite comment from her friends. On February 3, 2012, she was browsing the internet for luxury shoes, according to an email titled "Christian Louboutin shoes coming shortly".

She wrote to friends sharing details of new shoes on offer, including a pair of crystal-encrusted 16cm high heels costing £3795. She asked: "Does anything catch your eye. These pieces are not made for general public." One friend replied dryly: "I don't think they're going 2 b useful any time soon unfortunately."

Most jarring were the occasions when the world was hearing news of the worst incidents of violence and bloodshed and the Assad family could be found shopping or joking online, often using pseudonyms. An adviser to the Assad inner circle, Lamis Omar, appeared to acknowledge that the first couple risked seeming too detached and sent Assad a link to an article in the US magazine Businessweek that described the president's "life in a cocoon".

Emails from the Syrian first lady's account are typically signed off with "AAA" - corresponding to Asma al-Assad - or "Alia Kayali", which is the name of the company secretary whose identity activists believe Asma hid behind. In email correspondence with shops in Paris and London, the signoff "Alia" predominates.

In July, "Alia" is found placing an order for about £10,000-worth of candlesticks, tables and chandeliers to be shipped from a Paris designer through a state company in Dubai. In early November, as protests continued, a London art dealer received a message asking about the availability and price of works costing between £5,000 and £35,000 each. In late January "Alia" unpacked a pair of bedside tables shipped from a London cabinet maker, only to discover a mistake. She complained they had "different finishes and they have different colour draws!?".

In Britain, suppliers said they were unaware that the woman behind the email account was in fact Syria's first lady. Tony Carpenter, who runs a bespoke furniture firm in Billingshurst, West Sussex, south of London sold "Alia" a designer Baxter Gilbert table in November. The table cost £6257. "I had no idea," Carpenter said. "She gave me a London address. The furniture went to Dubai. I assumed the job was in Dubai."
Carpenter added: "She was a very charming lady to deal with. I spoke to her once or twice, though it was mostly by email. She paid the bill very promptly." The table was oval-shaped and marble-topped, he added.

The shopping lists were not always pure luxury and sometimes hinted at the impact of events on the family. On 30 December, while anti-government protesters demonstrated in Aleppo, Hama, Damascus and Deraa, Mrs Assad appears to have sent the president options for BulletBlocker armoured clothing disguised as a blazer, and a link to the VIP Armour website.

Assad himself kept up a flow of personal, loving emails to his wife using the disguised accounts, at times revealing a flippant attitude towards reforms he had promised the country earlier that year.

In July when she emailed that she would be finished at 5pm, her delighted-sounding husband replied: "This is the best reform any country can have that u told me where will you be, we are going to adopt it instead of the rubbish laws of parties, elections, media..."
Sometimes he searched the internet for video clips that impressed him, on one occasion sending her a clip from America's Got Talent of "the best illusion of all time" - a man appearing to saw another man in half and then putting him back together again, to the delight of the judges David Hasselhoff, Sharon Osbourne and Piers Morgan.

The emails also paint a picture of a relationship under great stress. In late December the Syrian first lady told her husband simply: "If we are strong together, we will overcome this together. I love you?"
Assad's emails reveal his inner fears and suspicions. On October 16, as the UN high commissioner for human rights, Navi Pillay, called for international action to avoid "full-blown civil war" in Syria, Assad circulated from his iPad an article to a list of undisclosed recipients an article alleging that the US ambassador to Syria, Robert Ford, was responsible for "recruiting Arab 'death squads' from al-Qaida-affiliated units in Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, and Chechnya to fight against Syrian military and police".

He sent another rabid article to his wife on 23 July that described Rupert Murdoch as a Jew and an Israeli citizen and "pretty much" Satan.

The emails shed light on the circle of young advisers around Assad who share jokes, TV clips and press cuttings about the crisis with the president on a regular basis and communicate with him informally. Mostly female, they refer to him variously as Sir and "his Excellency", and on one occasion - in a note not meant for his eyes, but which was forwarded to him - as "the dude".

Sheherazad Jaafari, the daughter of Syria's ambassador to the UN, Bashar Jaafari, took the role of strategic media adviser and can be seen organising an hour-long ABC interview with Assad. On another occasion she emailed him a photo showing Nicolas Sarkozy standing on a box next to George W Bush, with the subject line: "Funny!"

Hadeel al-Ali, another media adviser, reported back on the reaction of a group of friends who watched the president's speech in January. She summed up their feelings about the president as if he were a pop star: "We love him sooooooo much!!! We're so proud of him and his strength, wisdom, charisma and of course his beauty."

Banality of evil etc etc

obviously samantha cameron, daughter of the 8th baronet of sheffield, never spent enormous amounts of money on jewellery and clothes
i can relate.

jools posted:
obviously samantha cameron, daughter of the 8th baronet of sheffield, never spent enormous amounts of money on jewellery and clothes

that's different because it is sanctioned by god through his representative on earth: queen elizabeth the second.

WoMeN bE ShOpPiN
assad's wife is genetically prone to shopping for expensive gifts because women collected berries in ancient times
are we not all bashar assad in these, our modern times, sending youtube links to our estranged spouses while the world we've so carefully built crumbles by the wrath of God, and so on
Speak for yourself! Haha!

jools posted:

yeah but she has better taste. The Assad's are just gauche, urgh.

Let's make a list of middle eastern countries whose populations are not arabs

1. Lebanon
2. Greater Palestine
3. Syria
4. Yemen
5. Iran
6.Turkey duh
7.UAE
8. Qatar

who am I forgetting
thank you ironicwarcriminal

Edited by Myfanwy ()

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-gilded-life-of-syrias-brutal-first-family-revealed-in-emails-20120315-1v5wd.html

As the international community struggled to absorb the bloodiest episode yet in Syria's brutal crackdown in Homs, Bashar al-Assad was in Damascus composing a private email to his wife, according to a cache of what appear to be emails from the Syrian first couple obtained by the Guardian.

It was February 5, 2012, and the previous day the president's artillery had pounded the restive city as never before, killing several hundred civilians and blowing up a makeshift hospital, according to opposition activists. In the capital, government forces reportedly took the lives of about a dozen mourners at a funeral. The UN security council was drawing up plans to act against the dictatorship.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Bashar and Asma al-Assad. Photo: AP

But Assad's email, using the pseudonym "Sam", reflected none of the bloody turmoil or diplomatic jeopardy facing his country. In a bizarre message apparently from the Syrian leader, he sent his wife the lyrics of a country and western song by the US singer Blake Shelton, and the audio file downloaded from iTunes.

Laden with self-pity, the communication appeared to exemplify the cocooned life of denial that Assad, his family and inner circle were leading while the country erupted around them. The first verse reads: "I've been a walking heartache / I've made a mess of me / The person that I've been lately / Ain't who I wanna be."

The note was one of dozens revealed in a cache of what Syrian activists claim are emails from the inboxes of Assad and his wife, Asma, that expose how Assad's coterie continued to enjoy a gilded lifestyle insulated from the slaughter around them.

The emails appear to show how tens of thousands of dollars were spent in internet shopping sprees on handmade furniture from London boutiques. Tens of thousands more were lavished on gold and gem-encrusted jewellery, chandeliers, expensive curtains and paintings to be shipped to the Middle East. While the country was rocked by Assad's crackdown on dissent, his inner circle was concerned about the possibility of getting hold of a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, or a new chocolate fondue set.

The details of the Assads' high living are likely to infuriate many Syrians who have had to negotiate shortages and other hardships in conflict-hit areas of the country. Anger over the wealth and profligacy of leaders' families has been a feature of the revolutions in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya.

On July 19, 2011, Asma al-Assad could be found placing orders with her cousin, Amal, for jewellery made by a small Paris workshop. She requested four necklaces: "1 turquoise with yellow gold diamonds and a small pave on side" as well as a corneline, "full black onyx" and "amethyst with white gold diamonds" of similar design.

Amal replied that she would "launch" the order in mid-August with a view to getting it done "by mid-September". On July 23, 2011, Asma said she didn't mind the delay and added self-deprecatingly: "I am absolutely clueless when it comes to fine jewellery!" She signed off as "aaa" with: "Kisses to you both, and don't worry, we are well!"
Others items that caught the fancy of Syria's first lady included a vase priced at £2650 ($3970). On June 17, 2011, she sent details to the family's London-based fixer Soulieman Marouf, and added: "Pls can abdulla see if this available at Harrods to order - they have a sale at the moment." Marouf replied with good news: "He bought it. Got 15% discount. Delivery 10 weeks." He added: "Today you should be receiving an Armani light. If you need anything else please let me know."

The emails suggest a woman preoccupied with shopping but also with an eye for a bargain. She was eager to claw back VAT (the British equivalent of GST) on luxury items shipped to Damascus, it emerges, and complained when a consignment of table lamps went missing in China. Emails sent from her personal account also concern the fate of a bespoke table, after it arrived with two "right" panels instead of a right and a left one. More than 50 emails to and from the UK deal with shopping.

Some of Asma al-Assad's prospective purchases arouse polite comment from her friends. On February 3, 2012, she was browsing the internet for luxury shoes, according to an email titled "Christian Louboutin shoes coming shortly".

She wrote to friends sharing details of new shoes on offer, including a pair of crystal-encrusted 16cm high heels costing £3795. She asked: "Does anything catch your eye. These pieces are not made for general public." One friend replied dryly: "I don't think they're going 2 b useful any time soon unfortunately."

Most jarring were the occasions when the world was hearing news of the worst incidents of violence and bloodshed and the Assad family could be found shopping or joking online, often using pseudonyms. An adviser to the Assad inner circle, Lamis Omar, appeared to acknowledge that the first couple risked seeming too detached and sent Assad a link to an article in the US magazine Businessweek that described the president's "life in a cocoon".

Emails from the Syrian first lady's account are typically signed off with "AAA" - corresponding to Asma al-Assad - or "Alia Kayali", which is the name of the company secretary whose identity activists believe Asma hid behind. In email correspondence with shops in Paris and London, the signoff "Alia" predominates.

In July, "Alia" is found placing an order for about £10,000-worth of candlesticks, tables and chandeliers to be shipped from a Paris designer through a state company in Dubai. In early November, as protests continued, a London art dealer received a message asking about the availability and price of works costing between £5,000 and £35,000 each. In late January "Alia" unpacked a pair of bedside tables shipped from a London cabinet maker, only to discover a mistake. She complained they had "different finishes and they have different colour draws!?".

In Britain, suppliers said they were unaware that the woman behind the email account was in fact Syria's first lady. Tony Carpenter, who runs a bespoke furniture firm in Billingshurst, West Sussex, south of London sold "Alia" a designer Baxter Gilbert table in November. The table cost £6257. "I had no idea," Carpenter said. "She gave me a London address. The furniture went to Dubai. I assumed the job was in Dubai."
Carpenter added: "She was a very charming lady to deal with. I spoke to her once or twice, though it was mostly by email. She paid the bill very promptly." The table was oval-shaped and marble-topped, he added.

The shopping lists were not always pure luxury and sometimes hinted at the impact of events on the family. On 30 December, while anti-government protesters demonstrated in Aleppo, Hama, Damascus and Deraa, Mrs Assad appears to have sent the president options for BulletBlocker armoured clothing disguised as a blazer, and a link to the VIP Armour website.

Assad himself kept up a flow of personal, loving emails to his wife using the disguised accounts, at times revealing a flippant attitude towards reforms he had promised the country earlier that year.

In July when she emailed that she would be finished at 5pm, her delighted-sounding husband replied: "This is the best reform any country can have that u told me where will you be, we are going to adopt it instead of the rubbish laws of parties, elections, media..."
Sometimes he searched the internet for video clips that impressed him, on one occasion sending her a clip from America's Got Talent of "the best illusion of all time" - a man appearing to saw another man in half and then putting him back together again, to the delight of the judges David Hasselhoff, Sharon Osbourne and Piers Morgan.

The emails also paint a picture of a relationship under great stress. In late December the Syrian first lady told her husband simply: "If we are strong together, we will overcome this together. I love you?"
Assad's emails reveal his inner fears and suspicions. On October 16, as the UN high commissioner for human rights, Navi Pillay, called for international action to avoid "full-blown civil war" in Syria, Assad circulated from his iPad an article to a list of undisclosed recipients an article alleging that the US ambassador to Syria, Robert Ford, was responsible for "recruiting Arab 'death squads' from al-Qaida-affiliated units in Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, and Chechnya to fight against Syrian military and police".

He sent another rabid article to his wife on 23 July that described Rupert Murdoch as a Jew and an Israeli citizen and "pretty much" Satan.

The emails shed light on the circle of young advisers around Assad who share jokes, TV clips and press cuttings about the crisis with the president on a regular basis and communicate with him informally. Mostly female, they refer to him variously as Sir and "his Excellency", and on one occasion - in a note not meant for his eyes, but which was forwarded to him - as "the dude".

Sheherazad Jaafari, the daughter of Syria's ambassador to the UN, Bashar Jaafari, took the role of strategic media adviser and can be seen organising an hour-long ABC interview with Assad. On another occasion she emailed him a photo showing Nicolas Sarkozy standing on a box next to George W Bush, with the subject line: "Funny!"

Hadeel al-Ali, another media adviser, reported back on the reaction of a group of friends who watched the president's speech in January. She summed up their feelings about the president as if he were a pop star: "We love him sooooooo much!!! We're so proud of him and his strength, wisdom, charisma and of course his beauty."

Banality of evil etc etc

I am glad they buy handmade luxury objects. Don't fall for mass produced faux luxury. I am also glad to see he cares for his wife. I hope he and his forces can stop the terrorists who are disrupting his country

Myfanwy posted:
Let's make a list of middle eastern countries whose populations are not arabs

1. Lebanon
2. Greater Palestine
3. Syria
4. Yemen
5. Iran

who am I forgetting

Turkey duh
UAE
Cyprus (if you want to call it middle east)
Qatar

I mean they're not majority Arab

Wait what why are Syria, Lebanon and Yemen on your list
the source of those emails is the SNC lol

Wait what why are Syria, Lebanon and Yemen on your list

I'm going by an anthropological dont look like arabs formula, maybe the majority of Syria are arabs, I was just thinking about how the president and his people look.

Lebanon people are like historical armenian type and very mixed, Yemen because of how different they look from other arabs

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Myfanwy posted:
anthropological dont look like arabs formula

lmao

yeah i dont think thats an accepted anthropological method

shennong posted:

Alright fine, get the skulls and the tape measure out

shennong posted:

This is the kind of anthropology I meant, the real kind, when it was a true science fueled by measuring cheekbone width and depth

thats more like it. none of that polymorphism nonsense here

Myfanwy posted:

shennong posted:

This is the kind of anthropology I meant, the real kind, when it was a true science fueled by measuring cheekbone width and depth

now it's just sad nerds in Berkeley or the home counties writing blogs, sad.

Myfanwy posted:

shennong posted:

now it's just sad nerds in Berkeley or the home counties writing blogs, sad.

The new kind should be called Anthropologie and all Anthropologeists should get a 15% discount at the store. Imagine the flowing skirts and chunky jewelry

I looked at wikipedia to see when anthropology stopped being the science of races, but it's not even mentioned on the main page because it didn't happen until like 1948

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_and_O_map
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
An activist and spokesperson for the Syrian Revolution General Commission in the city of Homs on Saturday accused the Assad regime of setting off explosives in Damascus and then blaming the opposition movement.

lmao

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/03/17/syria.html

getfiscal posted:
An activist and spokesperson for the Syrian Revolution General Commission in the city of Homs on Saturday accused the Assad regime of setting off explosives in Damascus and then blaming the opposition movement.

lmao

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/03/17/syria.html

I guess now the insurgency in Syria knows how over 95% of the Iraqi insurgency felt when a tiny group of terrorists started to benefit the U.S. military.

It's ironic that they're begging for foreign intervention when Assad is doing the exact same thing the U.S. military did. These terrorists are the greatest thing in the world for any oppressive regime.

I wonder if these salafist fighters know how badly their tactics are fucking up everything for the people in that region. If they really hated the U.S. and the dictatorship in Syria they would disband so they wouldn't be a common enemy that made the oppressing power not look as bad by comparison. How do they not know they're doing that?

Edited by internationalist ()

a syrian socialist dude in canada wrote a long article about the movement

http://newsocialist.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=600:syria-one-year-after-the-beginning-of-the-revolution&catid=51:analysis&Itemid=98
http://newsocialist.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=602:syria-one-year-after-the-beginning-of-the-revolution&catid=51:analysis&Itemid=98
http://newsocialist.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=603:syria-one-year-after-the-beginning-of-the-revolution&catid=51:analysis&Itemid=98
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1214497&l=8ee815fde1&id=195133560519907

apparently this says that the LCC (a smaller, non-violent opposition group within Syria) is asking the FSA to stop protecting them, but i can't read. plz hep
bump, great read guys, pat yourselves on the back for being right about everything, tom shame on you for not posting like this any more
[account deactivated]
is this the Mali thread
Nice posting time bro. I was thinking maybe I wont burn today....but nah.