that sounds depressingly straightforward
the big anime eyes always reflecting, always guarding the Land for Outsiders and Jews as the characters play dress up and reinact insular culture games

littlegreenpills posted:

that sounds depressingly straightforward

yeah it was great

i've been reading lf et al. for five or six years now and i'm still not positive that the people who claim to like anime aren't trolling me

thirdplace posted:

i've been reading lf et al. for five or six years now and i'm still not positive that the people who claim to like anime aren't trolling me

My piddling genre distinctions

did you ever consider that maybe its not "anime" that is bad, but the moral and intellectual character of the Japanese artist?
If you think all anime sucks its because youve never seen this You're welcome.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i went to comic market because i was in the area and the queues were already gone and i just walked around and laughed butt-head style at all the weird crap there. it was fun
Stalin loved popular media, actually, and Trotsky was the one who brought a copy of Stendhal or whatever to every meeting.
im a shrine maiden now

MindMaster posted:

Stalin loved popular media, actually, and Trotsky was the one who brought a copy of Stendhal or whatever to every meeting.

in the west anime is not popular media. it's an awful niche affectation, its actual cultural worth entirely subsumed within its fetishistic value as a signifier of nerdy seperateness. there is no place for this under communism

deadken ur wrong
https://soundcloud.com/shaliek/rappers-endorse-japanese
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
satoshi kon owns
i am as riled as f*ck as things stand tpaine
further riling is *not* required
this thread
[account deactivated]
i can drop some more unnecessary german phrases if that'll make you happy
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

MindMaster posted:

in the west anime is not popular media. it's an awful niche affectation, its actual cultural worth entirely subsumed within its fetishistic value as a signifier of nerdy seperateness. there is no place for this under communism

the same was probably true for cheap westerns in the soviet union. what's the point? you're describing it in a way that suggests the formal aspects of a cultural thing are tied to identity which are not really true outside of the context of the united states, which i have never even visited.

and similarly, if you visit a mendelssohn concert in europe, or a noh play in tokyo, you will find that most of the audience consists of worthless snobs and disinterested rich people for whom the performance is just a prop to whatever pathetic identity they constructed for themselves (interestingly, this is less so for classical music performances in japan, from my experience). why not just throw all that shit out the window and appreciate something for what it is, for the way it relates to whatever the limitations of its own medium are, and accept or reject it based on that, instead of a broad and shallow perception which is ultimately rooted in identity? this is a simple argument but obviously true.

in a way it's exactly the appropriated part of how you manage to enjoy something that i think is usually likable.
i like mendelssohn but not enough to pay all that freakin money to go to some hoity toity fancy shcmancy high falootin' concert.
If any of the critics want to actually watch Madoka Magica and write a reasoned critique of it, I’ll listen.

MindMaster posted:

and similarly, if you visit a mendelssohn concert in europe, or a noh play in tokyo, you will find that most of the audience consists of worthless snobs and disinterested rich people for whom the performance is just a prop to whatever pathetic identity they constructed for themselves (interestingly, this is less so for classical music performances in japan, from my experience). why not just throw all that shit out the window and appreciate something for what it is, for the way it relates to whatever the limitations of its own medium are, and accept or reject it based on that, instead of a broad and shallow perception which is ultimately rooted in identity? this is a simple argument but obviously true.

i think as regards the capilatist identity issues floatin around,
as i use conspicuous consumption to identify myself to others,
i categorize my own consumption patterns to define myself to myself, and the categories are given to me as genre
so "genre" itself is a form of mass manipulation
to expose similar people all to the same information and advertising
that is most effective to their type, as a social control

my wife has told me to make a post here, directed at dead ken, that he (you) has (have) stolen her critique of anime and she is pissed. these are her exact words and what she told me to post just now
sounds like she needs an account
agreed. let us talk to her
i think she and i should discuss this further
[account deactivated]
Saturday night. Time for some high-quality Japanese animation