i didn't get any jobs i applied for, which is probably fine.
if u move to san francisco i can get u a job as a pizza delivery boy, GUARANTEED.

aerdil posted:

if u move to san francisco i can get u a job as a pizza delivery boy, GUARANTEED.

it's only guaranteed because aerdil is actually going to murder you and steal your identity, henceforth going by fringus the pizza-mingus

aerdil posted:

lol yeah like i could be alone with a pizza for thirty minutes lmao

fainting from propane fumes and being catcalled by an obese chicana.

stegosaurus posted:

I want to make a lot of money so i only have to work a little bit, like two hours a day or 8hrs for three days a week. that's what I want really really badly. would I kill for it? possibly. would i sacrifice all ideals for it? definitely. does the fantasy of our own liberation enable the perpetuation of our enslavement? absamoutively.

id recommend joining a trade union then. i made good money as a member of IATSE when i was in an urban area and in the desert lots of pople are either building solar power plants or houses so im considering joining IBEW

stegosaurus posted:

10 hours of walking through a distribution warehouse as a white worker

30 hours over the past 2 days of checking, packing, stacking, and shipping thousands of 50-100+ lb boxes with my almost exclusively black coworkers and 100% exclusively black boss. All of the white people work in the office attached to the warehouse where they get to sit down and drink coffee and browse the internet and have two X chromosomes all day

libelous_slander posted:

aerdil posted:

it's only guaranteed because aerdil is actually going to murder you and steal your identity, henceforth going by fringus the pizza-mingus

i will literally pay aerdil $10 an hour to murder me and steal my identity and Job as long as he promises to give my parents the other $5/hr from the overtime pay so they can fix their leaking roof

today during my 11th straight hour of work i was thinking about all the Ebola deniers who say "as long as you dont have any cuts or open wounds it is Scientifically IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to catch it from casual contact" and realized that most White NYC Liberals have literally never even SEEN anyone do actual manual labor before
[account deactivated]
i used to have a warehouse job. i worked from 530pm to 530am. i was an inventory auditor which means i counted boxes and updated the computrs to tell them how many boxes there were. everyone else had to pick boxes and load trucks and shit but i just drove a forklift around and counted boxes and made angry faces all the time to look like i was concentrating because i was afraid people would realize my dumb ass boring job was meaningless and super easy

this guy in another department the first weeks i was there kept making me go solve all of these problems for him until i told my boss about it andmy boss said "oh lol he;s making you do his job" and i was pissed and the next time the guy told me to go do something i said yeah i will and then didnt do it. and then he got mad at me and i said i am goingto count the boxes

but the truth is i only had to count the boxes once per month. thats all they wanted out of me. and i could do the whole warehouse in one or two shifts. so actually for most of the time i was just driving around pretending to count boxes. after a few days of that i started printing off a shitload of articles from the internet and sticking them on a clipboard and walking around and reading them and no one ever said shit. 12 hours of me reading leftist stuff in a depressing warehouse in the middle of the night and being paid by proctor and gamble to do it

then i guess someone realized that all of the counting shit could be done by the guys who were picking boxes and loading up trucks, so they got another task to do and the department i was in all got let go. i was happy though because i fucking hated that job and was miserable but now i work in a coffee shop and it sucks too

Hey, i'm piss
hey piss

Urbandale posted:

stegosaurus posted:

I want to make a lot of money so i only have to work a little bit, like two hours a day or 8hrs for three days a week. that's what I want really really badly. would I kill for it? possibly. would i sacrifice all ideals for it? definitely. does the fantasy of our own liberation enable the perpetuation of our enslavement? absamoutively.

id recommend joining a trade union then. i made good money as a member of IATSE when i was in an urban area and in the desert lots of pople are either building solar power plants or houses so im considering joining IBEW

there's a big iatse crew here yeah. I dont know. I want to avoid the 'industrializing' 70's organizer trap as much as humanly possible. having a lavish education and being a white dude but joining a union seems like a pretty grotesque thing honestly. I got an allergic reaction reading that sojourner truth organization book about people with masters degrees getting jobs in factories and going around saying "hey fellow workers, what about the boss-man oppressing us? it's pretty fucked up that he's coming down so hard on all of us regular hard workin honest folk." that shit is so stupid. but doing what I do now, which is avoiding politics at all costs while at work, probably isn't Correct either. in conclusion work is a land of contrasts.

that said if you really can choose when and where to work and turn down jobs and get paid decently, that's pretty cool, and I might look into it (IBEW that is). and working on factories seems particularly interesting. my dad is a project manager at a massive semiconductor factory here and the stuff they do with valves and controls and shit seems pretty sweet and actually requiring some measure of creativity and knowledge of physics and stuff, which is cool. plus knowing something practical beyond craft bullshit like beer or sewing is always satisfying.

[account deactivated]

Superabound posted:

today during my 11th straight hour of work i was thinking about all the Ebola deniers who say "as long as you dont have any cuts or open wounds it is Scientifically IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to catch it from casual contact" and realized that most White NYC Liberals have literally never even SEEN anyone do actual manual labor before

get gloves yo

tpaine what the fuck
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i'll never forgive troopsucking

you might when you get to heaven and see god's plan. never say never, clarence!

[account deactivated]

stegosaurus posted:

I want to avoid the 'industrializing' 70's organizer trap as much as humanly possible. having a lavish education and being a white dude but joining a union seems like a pretty grotesque thing honestly. I got an allergic reaction reading that sojourner truth organization book about people with masters degrees getting jobs in factories and going around saying "hey fellow workers, what about the boss-man oppressing us? it's pretty fucked up that he's coming down so hard on all of us regular hard workin honest folk." that shit is so stupid.

The problem with these people wasn't simply that they were white guys with degrees though, was it? It's that they transplanted themselves into that environment as outsiders with ulterior motives, and naturally only served to support the labor aristocracy. If you think there is merit to genuine worker organisation, being an educated white guy in no way excuses you from action in the workplace you find yourself in.

I want to say also that not all unions are equal. Even among the 'contract unions' there are significant differences in terms of things like relationship to employers etc. Admittedly there are some unions that probably should be avoided but each should be assessed on its merits. I think it's also worth considering the potential of dual carding with IWW. Ganbatte ne.

Petrol posted:

stegosaurus posted:

I want to avoid the 'industrializing' 70's organizer trap as much as humanly possible. having a lavish education and being a white dude but joining a union seems like a pretty grotesque thing honestly. I got an allergic reaction reading that sojourner truth organization book about people with masters degrees getting jobs in factories and going around saying "hey fellow workers, what about the boss-man oppressing us? it's pretty fucked up that he's coming down so hard on all of us regular hard workin honest folk." that shit is so stupid.

The problem with these people wasn't simply that they were white guys with degrees though, was it? It's that they transplanted themselves into that environment as outsiders with ulterior motives, and naturally only served to support the labor aristocracy. If you think there is merit to genuine worker organisation, being an educated white guy in no way excuses you from action in the workplace you find yourself in.

I want to say also that not all unions are equal. Even among the 'contract unions' there are significant differences in terms of things like relationship to employers etc. Admittedly there are some unions that probably should be avoided but each should be assessed on its merits. I think it's also worth considering the potential of dual carding with IWW. Ganbatte ne.

i understand yeah. I'm just saying that I want to avoid a certain stereotype. I recognize it's not a totally rational position. I'm going to talk to some people at my dad's work and drop the ibew local a line.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

stegosaurus posted:

get gloves yo

i cant really wear gloves bc i still need manual dexterity to quickly apply thousands of shipping labels, count through stacks of densely packed thin paper/cellophane packaging, use a computer, etc. although my hands are pretty much numb by the end of the day anyway so i guess it doesnt really matter

piss posted:

i used to have a warehouse job. i worked from 530pm to 530am. i was an inventory auditor which means i counted boxes and updated the computrs to tell them how many boxes there were. everyone else had to pick boxes and load trucks and shit but i just drove a forklift around and counted boxes and made angry faces all the time to look like i was concentrating because i was afraid people would realize my dumb ass boring job was meaningless and super easy

this guy in another department the first weeks i was there kept making me go solve all of these problems for him until i told my boss about it andmy boss said "oh lol he;s making you do his job" and i was pissed and the next time the guy told me to go do something i said yeah i will and then didnt do it. and then he got mad at me and i said i am goingto count the boxes

but the truth is i only had to count the boxes once per month. thats all they wanted out of me. and i could do the whole warehouse in one or two shifts. so actually for most of the time i was just driving around pretending to count boxes. after a few days of that i started printing off a shitload of articles from the internet and sticking them on a clipboard and walking around and reading them and no one ever said shit. 12 hours of me reading leftist stuff in a depressing warehouse in the middle of the night and being paid by proctor and gamble to do it

then i guess someone realized that all of the counting shit could be done by the guys who were picking boxes and loading up trucks, so they got another task to do and the department i was in all got let go. i was happy though because i fucking hated that job and was miserable but now i work in a coffee shop and it sucks too

Hey, i'm piss

sometimes i watch the guys whipping down the aisles on their speedy little motorized pallet skiff thingies going "BEEP BEEP! BEEP BEEP!" all day and think about how thats got to be the best job in the place

[account deactivated]
I drank a lot of beer last night and now I feel like someone pallet jacked my forehead.
JACKED doesnt even BEGIN to describe my pallet!!!
joining the iww is like wearing a halloween costume to work under your clothes every day, by which i mean its exactly what i did when i was 20

Superabound posted:

stegosaurus posted:

get gloves yo

i cant really wear gloves bc i still need manual dexterity to quickly apply thousands of shipping labels, count through stacks of densely packed thin paper/cellophane packaging, use a computer, etc. although my hands are pretty much numb by the end of the day anyway so i guess it doesnt really matter

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-50-pc-large-68511.html

heavy duty nitrile gloves are good for fine tasks but still keep you pretty well protected

arthritis is a painful and debilitating disease and you should take care of your hands

dank_xiaopeng posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-50-pc-large-68511.html

heavy duty nitrile gloves are good for fine tasks but still keep you pretty well protected

lol i pack and ship about 900 pairs of those things every single day

but theyd only protect my skin (which has already toughened up), not my joints. which, judging by my recurring carpal tunnel, previously broken wrist, and family history of severe, crippling arthritis (which my mom has had for years), are already fucked regardless

i did wear a wrist brace today though, which helped a lot

hell yeah

Superabound posted:

family history of severe, crippling arthritis

catchphrase

i have arthritis and it causes me a bunch opf pain and discomfort. no joke here i just have arhtritis and it's bad./ wel p see ya

chickeon posted:

i have arthritis and it causes me a bunch opf pain and discomfort. no joke here i just have arhtritis and it's bad./ wel p see ya

get well soon.

some guy was like "i don't have a job for you but i have lots of contacts and i'd love to chat with you!"... then i felt weirded out at the prospect of actually getting a job so i was like uhhh umm.... ummmmmmmmMMMMMMMM..... fuck.
N1KdHx3E8cM

getfiscal posted:

some guy was like "i don't have a job for you but i have lots of contacts and i'd love to chat with you!"... then i felt weirded out at the prospect of actually getting a job so i was like uhhh umm.... ummmmmmmmMMMMMMMM..... fuck.

as someone who worked 70+ hours last week and just found out today that the warehouse im in either has no heat or no intention of actually turning it on my advice to you is to live off the Canadian government until you die