I know a lot of you commute to work, etc... and I had some fun in the bike thread with a few of y'all when there weren't haters.

Anyways, it's prime Bicycle season. Post any questions or comments about riding bicycles (it's badass! p much the best athletic activity besides possibly Foolball (american))

This is the bicycle I just completed building from a race I am going to in Minneapolis this weekend.

Size Large G.O.A.T. fixed gear-freestyle frame handmade in Brooklyn for The Grime, Profile cranks and front hub, stock back hub, Tree Lite spline dri sprocket, ratio 13 x 37,
i hear bike is cool
I have a crappy trek hybrid but I gets me where I need to go. I wish I'd just got a road bike though.

TG posted:

I have a crappy trek hybrid but I gets me where I need to go. I wish I'd just got a road bike though.

If i didn't ride a bike for work and was a recreational / commuter cyclist i would probably ride a hybrid. If you don't need to go fast they're a lot more comfortable / practical imo. I would work on one too but I don't know how to work derrailleurs that aren't old campagnolo so I couldn't do maintenance on a modern hybrid. I wish i had indexed gripshifts, straight bars, and fat tires on my road bike to be honest

a little while ago i installed a new side mirror on my car. it was a pretty easy process and took just three new screws and a little wiring, the door panel was no problem and it passed a leak test with flying colors after. this weekend i'm going to check the gaps on my spark plugs and i am looking for a more reliable ignition tester than the one i have.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

TG posted:

If i didn't ride a bike for work and was a recreational / commuter cyclist i would probably ride a hybrid. If you don't need to go fast they're a lot more comfortable / practical imo. I would work on one too but I don't know how to work derrailleurs that aren't old campagnolo so I couldn't do maintenance on a modern hybrid. I wish i had indexed gripshifts, straight bars, and fat tires on my road bike to be honest

this is my bike for 4+ years... it rules

thats p nice I will try to get a picture of my road bike it's currently out of commission because i broke off one of the crank arms at work LOL

edit: i thought i had a drive-side picture of it but I guess not

thats my baby, 1970s handmade italian (by Cinelli for Basso) w/ 70s campy cranks, hubs, shifters, and 80s chorus brakes. was all period mid70s-early80s campy and italian until the crankset broke, I will probably have to replace it with some late 80s shit unfortunately

Edited by EmanuelaBrolandi ()

oldbike is old
when im driving & i see ppl cycling down city streets i always make sure to drift as close to the sidewalk as possible, ignoring bike lanes, and if i make a right-turn i never look to the right or check my side mirror
[account deactivated]
*borat voice* my baiiike :

FUCKKER...alright, here we go:

GOD~DAMMIT!1 !!:

adorable pit

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

thats p nice I will try to get a picture of my road bike it's currently out of commission because i broke off one of the crank arms at work LOL

edit: i thought i had a drive-side picture of it but I guess not

thats my baby, 1970s handmade italian (by Cinelli for Basso) w/ 70s campy cranks, hubs, shifters, and 80s chorus brakes. was all period mid70s-early80s campy and italian until the crankset broke, I will probably have to replace it with some late 80s shit unfortunately

i feel bad for you tall people because your bikes are larger

that basso is sweet. don't think it was made by cinelli though, unless it's some very weird one-off.

also, assuming those are Record cranks: if you look on ebay for a while you'll be able to find a replacement. be aware that those are notorious for developing hairline cracks where the spider meets the arm:

Edited by toy ()

conec posted:

1959 schwinn, rides smooth believe it or not. is a bit too big for me but i manage. brakes = pedal backwards ((old school style brakes))

other bike is a mid-range specialized mountain bike from 6-7 years ago.. i am selling it on craigslist soon

if you tilt the handlebars down a bit it will probably be more comfortable, especially as it's large for you.

[account deactivated]
if you rotate them toward you it should reduce the distance you have to reach (it will also make you a little less upright - you'll be bending at your hips slightly more)

like this:
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
paint many flowers on that badboy, imo
[account deactivated]
tpaine look at my bike

[account deactivated]
I've decided I'm just going to not even try learning about bikes and take it to the shop. and pay the dude to fix it every 6mos. i dont care enough. apologies op.

toy posted:

about basso being made by cinelli

From what I understand during the 70s Cinellis production ability so far outmatched the amount of frames they actually needed to build so they made frames for a couple other italian companies in their factory in wherever. The bottom bracket shell, etc.. are all Cinelli and I've heard from a couple peopel that this isn't uncommon for Basso and a couple other Italian names from that period of the 70s

toy do you like my fgfs bike? lmao

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

toy do you like my fgfs bike? lmao

looks pretty fun! i've never ridden a fixed gear set up like that. is fgfs still a thing in NY?

re: basso, that's cool. cinelli lugs etc. were used on lots of bikes that weren't built by cinelli, but most of those i've seen were mid-late '80s bikes. yours does look more like late '70s from the picture…do you have any more?

mods please change toy's name to The Amazing Spider-Crack
[account deactivated]
EO - do you ever skitch? how can i learn to skitch professionally
cali skitch district
[account deactivated]

conec posted:

ahh i went outside to paint flowers on my bike nd painted a couple but got attacked by mosquitoes so i came inside x_x

paint Cymbopogon flowers on your bike

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
here you go tp, rhizzed out my bike in yr honor and will run over the first Troop i come across

just got back from the cycle courier championships and im officially the worst bike messenger in north america! 163rd place whooooo

toy posted:

ooks pretty fun! i've never ridden a fixed gear set up like that. is fgfs still a thing in NY?

re: basso, that's cool. cinelli lugs etc. were used on lots of bikes that weren't built by cinelli, but most of those i've seen were mid-late '80s bikes. yours does look more like late '70s from the picture…do you have any more?

fgfs is not still a thing really. also that is an old Grime model nowadays most fgfs bikes are more bmx-like. i just built that for the north american courier championships bc the course had some street car tracks and some gravel.

the basso is def late 70s not 80s.

swampman posted:

EO - do you ever skitch? how can i learn to skitch professionally

i wouldn't really reccomend trying to learn how to skitch. i do it sometimes if i have a double rush or something or if im going up that hill on 2nd ave in the 30s or whatever but its not really safe. dont do it f rom a red light obviously the car will accelerate too fast

one secret taught to me by felipe the king whos the most winningest new york alleycat racing messenger in history is to get those rubber gloves with the grip on them from a dega and just sort of put your palm on the side of the car that way you dont have to hold on to it which is less dangerous i guess