daddyholes posted:

http://www.clarionproject.org/these guys are blowing up lately , their two lines are that ISIS is always about to capture Baghdad and that Khorasan is planning an imminent re-9/11, they are also conveniently named as though they were like a villainous UN office from Left Behind

heres the associated churn sites they link out to

LibForAll Foundation http://www.libforall.org/
Muslim Canadian Congress http://www.muslimcanadiancongress.org/

(oh and surprise! these guys again lol)
International Quranic Center http://www.ahl-alquran.com/
Islamic Supreme Council http://www.islamicsupremecouncil.org/

if anyone doesnt know who ISCA is here you go killer

whoa impressive resume. "sufi moderate"s man what cant they do

haha \see? you cna do anything at Isca com

hrmmry hurf a durf, who is the Money

oh. oh ok

lets get nasty

????..........hohh yeahhhh...........

The New York Times reports today on how the New York Police Department and the producers behind a controversial film are stonewalling on why the movie was screened to NYPD officers. The Times reports:

In January 2011, when news broke that the department had used the film in training, a top police official denied it, then said it had been mistakenly screened “a couple of times” for a few officers.

A year later, police documents obtained under the state’s Freedom of Information Law reveal a different reality: “The Third Jihad,” which includes an interview with Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly, was shown, according to internal police reports, “on a continuous loop” for between three months and one year of training.

During that time, at least 1,489 police officers, from lieutenants to detectives to patrol officers, saw the film.

The film, the Third Jihad, was created by
the shadowy Clarion Fund, which did not return the Times’ requests for comment.

Coupling today’s Times report, ThinkProgress is releasing a list of grants [PDF] directed to the Clarion Fund. The document, which discloses that Manhattan attorney Allen I. Gross contributed $100,000 to the Clarion Fund in 2007, is the most comprehensive mapping of Clarion’s donor base to date.

Clarion burst onto the scene in 2006 with the movie Obsession: Radical Islam’s War Against the West. In 2008, more than 20 million copies of the film were distributed to homes in presidential election swing states thanks to a $17 million donation, reportedly by right-wing and GOP donor Barre Seid.(Another U.S. group that aided the release later denied involvement but was found to be misleading reporters in order to cover up its role. The head of the group now sits on Clarion’s advisory board.)

But the Third Jihad is not Clarion’s latest project: its focus since shifted to Iran with the 2011 doc Iranium. Written and directed by Alex Traiman, “Iranium” prominently features hawkish experts from two right-wing Washington think tanks, Frank Gaffney’s Center for Security Policy and the Foundation for Defense of Democracies.

Just before the launch of Iranium, Clarion, which shares a “virtual office” with Aish Hatorah in New York,

pause

"xX_partyonWayan_Xx"

hey i found something under herrre

good work gumshoe
Road to Equality in Iran Paved with Obstacles

daddyholes posted:

hey superabound http://www.clarionproject.org/ these guys are blowing up lately , their two lines are that ISIS is always about to capture Baghdad and that Khorasan is planning an imminent re-9/11, they are also conveniently named as though they were like a villainous UN office from Left Behind

this is especially funny to me bc my local paper is named the Clarion Ledger

daddyholes posted:

Just before the launch of Iranium, Clarion, which shares a “virtual office” with Aish Hatorah in New York,

ahaha G-d damn

lol
it's funny that people were calling Greenwald acceptable in mainstream discourse because he's "the most sober" and thus if not an ideological enemy then certainly a victim of the commodification of dissent, when he's been openly calling the syria war a manufactured crisis with the specific goal of simply perpetuating US warmongering for its own sake
re: british connections, haras rafiq at least now works for the very fuckin dodgy quilliam foundation

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

it's funny that people were calling Greenwald acceptable in mainstream discourse because he's "the most sober" and thus if not an ideological enemy then certainly a victim of the commodification of dissent, when he's been openly calling the syria war a manufactured crisis with the specific goal of simply perpetuating US warmongering for its own sake

also greenwald refuses to countenance the idea there might actually be any strategy there, he handwaves about Endless War for Profit, that's what bothers his critics i am pretty sure.

garm gleendlebraun

jools posted:

also greenwald refuses to countenance the idea there might actually be any strategy there, he handwaves about Endless War for Profit, that's what bothers his critics i am pretty sure.

my issue with him is that he's "mainstream", ie he's benign, and essentially all he's accomplished or accomplishing is normalizing the idea of state repression through the new medium of facebook, google, or whatever. also his work tacitly implies that modern political repression is relegated primarily to the NSA, and conveniently ignores that of local government organs, private entities, and/or that of the FBI/CIA, all while his e-magazine whitewashes the history of gary webb. on that note, i keep reading people excited to watch the new gary webb movie and to be honest, knowing hollywood, it's probably going to be a pile of white washed garbage. i mean, they gave him a goatee. A goatee. of all the hit pieces attempting to assassinate webb's credibility, none of them sank so low as to suggest he had a goatee.

[account deactivated]

jools posted:

It's easy to forget that this is a classic part of the right/libertarian tendency, to denounce war profiteers and their influence on government, and more generally a militarist mindset, but without any consideration of either actually existing imperialism nor the international capitalist financial system that stands behind the arms industry. I've said it before and I'll say it again: when Ames et al attacked Greenwald's libertarian background they were right on the money (no pun intended).

Like, they even have a reproduction of a 30s book on this topic on fucking mises dot org.

i dont know if you can really "attack" an anti-NSA activist for being Libertarian when Libertarians were pretty much the only mainstream American political group that ever spoke out against it in the first place
i mean that would be kinda like accusing Mark Ames of being too much of a "scumbag proto-VICE degenerate" to continue writing about raping pregnant underage Russian girls

Superabound posted:

i dont know if you can really "attack" an anti-NSA activist for being Libertarian

Spoiler!

Superabound posted:

i dont know if you can really "attack" an anti-NSA activist for being Libertarian when Libertarians were pretty much the only mainstream American political group that ever spoke out against it in the first place

Libertarians have always been the FBI-friendly radical designated group. they always "spoke out" against some tiny little piece of the security or war apparatus for radical cred and were the only ones not COINTELPRO'd to death. I mean even the Yippies were on the FBI hitlist. libertarianism is obviously used to demobilize people, of course they're mainstream

[account deactivated]

Crow posted:

Superabound posted:

Libertarians have always been the FBI-friendly radical designated group. they always "spoke out" against some tiny little piece of the security or war apparatus for radical cred and were the only ones not COINTELPRO'd to death. I mean even the Yippies were on the FBI hitlist. libertarianism is obviously used to demobilize people, of course they're mainstream

this is the extent of praxis for libertarian anti-govt ideology while people are literally being murdered in the streets of ferguson by the "tyrannical government" - complete silence and/or disavowal of ferguson activists as being illegitimate, or justifying the violence through pretzel logic, if they Pulled their pants up and Get' a job, none of this happen.

also, GG + snowden's criticism of the police state is founded upon the notion that it is only bad because it has yet to be anointed by the "democratic" process, which is resulting in govt violence bleeding over and affecting the white middle class instead of focused on the correct target, the "other". they are not opposed to state repression, they are opposed to the idea of mission creep, that the state apparatus has grown too large, is threatening the petty booj white idiots, and should be reduced back to it's 1960s levels where police would rescue kittens from trees with a wink and a smile then don a white hood and lynch a black kid. "small govt" is dogwhistle for white supremacy and that's precisely how it's utilized by the more reactionary and violent conservatives, even if mainstream libertarians are white washing the ideology and making it seem palatable, or progressive

AmericanNazbro posted:

i'd suggest a parody video of this where a black person open carries but i wouldnt want to be responsible for murder

AmericanNazbro posted:

also, GG + snowden's criticism of the police state is founded upon the notion that it is only bad because it has yet to be anointed by the "democratic" process, which is resulting in govt violence bleeding over and affecting the white middle class instead of focused on the correct target, the "other". they are not opposed to state repression, they are opposed to the idea of mission creep, that the state apparatus has grown too large, is threatening the petty booj white idiots, and should be reduced back to it's 1960s levels where police would rescue kittens from trees with a wink and a smile then don a white hood and lynch a black kid.

uh none of this is true

thanks for weighing in fishbulb

Crow posted:

i thought that was Liberels

from what ive seen over the past few years, Libertarians are more consistently left-wing where it counts (foreign policy, police militarization, security theater, etc.) than like 99% of Democrats. sure thats pretty much the definition of "damning with faint praise", but
im socially Libertarian, economically Stalinist

Superabound posted:

Crow posted:

i thought that was Liberels

no, it's libertarians http://exiledonline.com/radicals-imbeciles-fbi-stooges-from-jerry-rubin-to-rich-fink-weve-reached-rock-bottom-baby/

i mean come on. they're basically kept afloat by koch brothers. theyre closer to fascists than anything. it's a honeypot, but they neutralize you before you even start threatening the state.

[account deactivated]
there is no left in the USA and attempting to elevate groups like libertarians to be a bargain bin substitute is depressing as hell. also, that's exactly what hegemony wants
im a leftism
[account deactivated]

Superabound posted:

from what ive seen over the past few years, Libertarians are more consistently left-wing where it counts (foreign policy, police militarization, security theater, etc.) than like 99% of Democrats. sure thats pretty much the definition of "damning with faint praise", but

It's very bloody far from enough to just point at thing and say, "Thing bad". Why does the libertarian say these thigns are bad? The libertarian claims individual freedom is the most important thing, and that this is best achieved by shrinking government. but this is pure corporatism. Social services of all kinds are cast as evil, as is any kind of government regulation of the market. So the libertarian may say he is against police militarisation because civil liberties, but his policies are actually the cause of police militarisation. Oh look, another mark ames link. And remember that time he exposed the fascist roots of libertarianism. Ha. I guess in between raping hordes of mythical russian tweens he had time to write a bunch of insightful stuff about this. Better shoot the messenger

also: Cop Block..

How many of you have shared CopBlock memes on your Facebook pages? Their memes are usually focused on police violence or authoritarian overreach - things that folks like us are concerned about.

Here's a look at who and what is REALLY behind CopBlock.

Earlier this month, in New Brunswick, a young man named Justin Bourque killed RCMP Constables Fabrice Gevaudan, Dave Ross, and Douglas Larche. He wounded two other Mounties. Justin Bourque was an angry young man, ginned up on conspiracy theories and fears about gun grabbers. (Definition: anyone believing that not every person should have access to firearms is a gun grabber.) One of his Facebook friends is being detained for threatening to kill police.

A few days ago, two police officers having lunch at a pizza place in Las Vegas were gunned down by Jerad and Amanda Miller, who put a swastika and a Gadsden flag on the bodies of the officers, announced the revolution was starting, grabbed their weapons, and went to a nearby Wal-Mart. They killed a woman there. Jerad and Amanda were also ginned up on conspiracy theories and gundamentalist fears that the gummint was coming to take their guns away.

These killings happened in two different countries, and the killings were done by people who didn’t know each other. They did, however, have something in common. CopBlock. If you spend any time on social media, you’ve probably seen CopBlock memes; a picture with some message about police violence or authoritarian overreach. CopBlock claims their goal is police accountability. From their website:

We do not “hate cops.” We believe that no one – not even those with badges – has extra rights. The failure to realize and act on that is to our detriment. By focusing the disinfecting light of transparency on public officials we safeguard not just our rights but those of future generations.

Sounds good, doesn’t it? If only we could take these folks at their word.

A regular writer for CopBlock is a guy named Chris Cantwell. Cantwell was kicked out of the Free State Project (in a big public way) for advocating violence, which goes against what the FSP claims to believe. Cantwell, in his capacity as CopBlock administrator had the ability to use the CopBlock twitter account. While Justin Bourque was out killing Mounties, CopBlock sent out a tweet that read, “What the world needs is more people like Justin Bourque not fewer.” The same CopBlock that claims it doesn’t condone violence, the same CopBlock that claims adherence to something called the “Non Aggression Principle.”

Cantwell has lengthy rants on his blog where he waxes on about the reasons to kill cops. It’s not for the faint of heart or stomach. He’s an angry, angry man who doesn’t kill cops because HE doesn’t want to go to jail. He’d like to incite you to do the work for him. He cheered on Justin Bourque. He eulogized the Millers. And when Officer Stephen Arkell was killed in Brentwood, NH last month, Cantwell not only blamed Arkell for getting killed, he celebrated it.

Justin Bourque had CopBlock memes on his Facebook page. Amanda Miller had a link to a YouTube video from the CopBlock channel that asks, “When is it Okay to Kill a Cop?” with words from an anarchist/Free Stater named Larken Rose. Jason Stam, the friend of Justin Bourque now in custody for threatening cops, posted Chris Cantwell’s CopBlock support for Bourque on his page.

CopBlock was co-founded by Adam Mueller, who calls himself Ademo Freeman and Pete Eyre.Mueller and Eyre are both members of the Free State Project. The Free State Project is the group of libertarians moving to NH with the intent of liberating us by occupying, colonizing, and taking over and dismantling the state government, and threatening secession. They claim to be nonviolent and peaceful. I serve on the board of a peace organization. We don’t have any videos that address when it would be okay to kill cops. That doesn’t fit into the category of peace – at least not as I understand it.

CopBlock has gotten a lot of negative media attention since the recent cop killing incidents took place. On June 11, they posted a notice on the CopBlock site that Cantwell is now a former author, and they pledged their adherence to the non-aggression principle. It was signed by a number of folks affiliated with the site, including co-founder Pete Eyre. It was not signed by Adam Mueller. He sent out a tweet saying that Cantwell “is no longer an admin of the FB page. Gotta be PC, ya know. Otherwise slaves won't like CopBlock.” In other words, they ditched Cantwell so that they can keep on getting well-intended folks to keep posting their memes and sending them money. That’s what they call non-Free Staters, by the way. Slaves.

Many members of the Free State Project will be appearing on ballots around the state this fall. At least one will be on the ballot in Carroll County. Ed Comeau of Brookfield is running for the NH House. Some of you will recognize Ed as the person who tapes a variety of public meetings, including the Carroll County Commissioners. The level of dysfunction we’ve seen in our county government may well have been nurtured by the FSP. Remember, their goal is the destruction of our form of government. What better way to begin than to ensure chaos, obstruction, and gridlock? It’s happening both in Concord and on the county level, engineered by Free Staters and their fellow travelers in the Tea Party and the John Birch Society. Always research your candidates to find out things like: What do they believe in? How do they support themselves financially? What groups are they associated with?

As for CopBlock, don’t be fooled by their attempt at a whitewash. They’ve allowed Cantwell’s rants all this time. The “When is it Okay to Shoot a Cop” video has been up on YouTube for over a year. If no cops had been killed, Cantwell would still be an administrator, and no one would be the wiser. The underbelly of our would-be liberators does not match their public face.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/13/1306591/-NH-s-Would-Be-Liberators

The Free State Project

We have a right wing “grassroots” group of our own here in New Hampshire with ties to Koch money. Called the Free State Project, it was the creation of Jason Sorens. (While the group advocates for the elimination of tax-funded public education, Dr. Sorens teaches political science at the taxpayer funded State University of New York at Buffalo.)

Dr. Sorens is an example of a core strategy of the right wing funding network. Taking a cue from corporate research that teaches if you want to create brand loyalty for life, you must reach your target market at an early age, many of the right wing nonprofits offer internships and associate programs for promising undergraduates and grad students. They look for two things in particular: writing skills and computer/internet savvy. These individuals are called the “talent” and are viewed in the same light as Merck views its “thought leaders” in the launch of a new drug. In many cases, they are funded and nurtured for life. The Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation has at least six staff members with the word “Talent” in their title, for example, Manager of Talent, Director of Talent, Coordinator of Talent. It explains on its web site that over 700 individuals have gone through its paid Summer Fellow program and have gone on to work at places like Cato, the Wall Street Journal, Department of Justice, World Bank, and Council of Economic Advisors.

Dr. Sorens was funded by two Koch funded organizations: the Mercatus Center and the Institute for Humane Studies. When he was ready to launch his audacious plan to convert New Hampshire into a free markets stronghold, he was assisted on the morning of February 27, 2004 with a big-wig press conference at the Washington D.C. headquarters of the wealthy and well connected American Enterprise Institute, also funded with Koch money as well as the rest of the A-list of conservative foundations. According to its most recent 990 tax filing, available to the public at www.guidestar.org, the American Enterprise Institute had assets of $104 million in 2008 and received grants and contributions of $59 million that year.

The concept was a bit far fetched even for the conservative reporters at the event. Dr. Sorens proposal was, via coaxing on the internet, to get 20,000 Libertarians to move to New Hampshire and take over state and local politics by being hyper activists. To potential recruits, Dr. Sorens pitched the gambit as creating a migration and sanctuary for freedom-loving people. To the American Enterprise Institute, he pitched it as a means of leveraging an anti-regulatory agenda to benefit business, not just in New Hampshire but in other states as well. “Once New Hampshire moves dramatically in a free market direction, we are going to continue to attract individuals and businesses from other states. And other states are going to have to reform their own laws in order to avoid losing their tax base to our state,” Dr. Sorens told the audience.

Dr. Sorens and Mercatus had a plan to move that theory along. Dr. Sorens and William P. Ruger, an Assistant Professor at the Texas State University, San Marcos co-authored a study with the Koch-funded Mercatus Center on Freedom in the 50 States: An Index of Personal and Economic Freedom. The study ranks the 50 states in terms of personal and economic freedoms. Exactly 13 days after the study on Freedom in the 50 States was released, the 1851 Center for Constitutional Law at the Buckeye Institute for Public Policy Solutions in Ohio, another free markets nonprofit, used the document in testimony on a House Bill in Ohio threatening to “initiate legal action” if the bill was signed into law. The testimony noted, from the report, that “Ohio recently ranked 38th in an index of economic freedom amongst the 50 states.” The bill the Center was against would have eased mortgage loan modifications to prevent foreclosures. Koch foundation money provides support to the Buckeye Institute for Public Policy Solutions.

Dr. Sorens’ belief in the individual’s pursuit of freedom and democracy has been called into question with this post he made at the Cato Institute: “The ‘collective action problem’ helps to explain why only narrow interests will successfully organize and achieve policy victories, and why these will come at the expense of the citizenry. Interest groups can achieve these victories only because voters are deeply, irremediably ignorant of philosophy, politics, economics, and public policy. Trying to educate voters is hopeless because they lack the proper incentives to learn and employ political knowledge.

One hard-learned lesson for the big money funders is that frequently when you get some real grass in your grassroots movement, the corporate script is not followed as neatly as in pure astroturfing. (Astroturfing refers to campaigns or movements that are orchestrated by special interests but masquerade as spontaneous grassroots uprisings.) The first offshoot of the Free State Project effort was in Grafton, New Hampshire and was as subtle as a Wall Street hostile takeover. Locals say about $1 million was spent buying up properties and recording the names in limited liability corporations so the real money behind the purchase could not be discovered. But the Free Staters living in the homes were quite visible and vocal. One man set up a web site to harass local officials, declaring: "This is a list of New Hampsters who have oppressed libertarians…Don’t vote for them, don’t hire them, don’t buy from them, don’t sell to them." The list, titled “Blood Bath and Beyond” [lol] named a Judge, the Selectmen, the Selectmen’s Clerk, an attorney, a police chief, and various police officers. The web site has not been taken down.

The brazenness of the takeover talk rankled the local residents; a heated town meeting ensued, with unfavorable national press for the Free State Project. The Boston Globe called it “Grafton’s Messy Liberation.”

Things have since quieted down in Grafton while heating up in the tolerant town of Keene. A handful of Free Staters, most of whom advocate a totally voluntary society and no government regulation on any business, have engaged in the following stunts: standing topless in the quaint town square; holding a bag of marijuana in front of the police with the intent of getting arrested, to challenge drug laws; pretending to drink alcohol in city council meetings to press for drinking in public places; holding “School Sucks” signs at the public middle school to challenge taxation for “government” education; chanting outside of the private homes of a police officer and sitting judge who are not popular with the Free Staters. Public opinion in Keene has now turned decidedly against the Free Staters.

Another individual who has spent time in Keene, New Hampshire and helped the Free State Project movement along is Peter Eyre. Eyre interned at the right wing Cato Institute (which received funding from Koch); then became a Fellow at the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation. Next Eyre spent two and one half years at the Institute for Humane Studies (also supported by Koch money and the same Institute that supported the work of Dr. Sorens). In early 2009, Eyre moved on to Bureaucrash, a project affiliated with another right wing think tank, the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI). (CEI ran TV ads in a dozen cities on “global warming alarmism” one week before Al Gore’s documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth” premiered.) The Institute for Humane Studies links Bureaucrash as a previous internship partner with the Charles G. Koch Summer Fellow Program. Exxon and Koch charitable funds have supported the Competitive Enterprise Institute. Eyre’s more recent pursuit was to travel around the country promoting libertarian ideas in a motor home named Marv with colleagues Jason Talley and Adam Mueller.

What could possibly explain all this right wing and deregulatory attention on a state of 1.3 million people? For one, New Hampshire hosts the first Presidential primary. For another, Koch Industries, Inc. purchased Georgia-Pacific Corp. for $21 billion in 2005, paying a 39 percent premium over its share price on the New York Stock Exchange at the time. Georgia-Pacific is one of the world’s largest paper companies. Its household consumer brands include Angel Soft, Brawny, Quilted Northern, Sparkle, Vanity Fair, and Dixie. Georgia- Pacific owns no timberland. Its Wood and Fiber Supply division must seek out sources of wood from industrial, institutional or individual landowners. New Hampshire is 84 per cent forest land according to the New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development. But there is a growing environmental and land conservation movement in New Hampshire. That could pose a problem for lumber interests.

Are the Koch brothers alone in outsized funding of right wing groups? No; but they are among the most proactive and sophisticated in exerting rightward political pressure on universities, media, state legislatures, Congress, and the town halls of America.

A check of tax filings at GuideStar.org shows there is currently over $6 billion in assets in foundations that promote the free market mantra. Where did the money come from? Some of the largest pro-corporate agenda foundations include old wealth from big consumer brands like Coors, Vicks, Borden, Gulf Oil, F.W. Woolworth, Amway; and new money from John Templeton and Walmart. The tycoons of yesteryear handed down an axe to grind against government interference in big business and that has been carefully nurtured by a labyrinth of modern tycoons and front groups. These are masterful tacticians who understand image is everything; who understand that if you plow enough money into marketing and public relations and advertising, you can build an invincible brand. You can even turn a sow’s ear into a silk purse by rehabilitating the deregulatory/free markets brand that fleeced the public, took their homes, left the financial system of the country in ruins and then used taxpayer money to attempt to bail itself out. But don’t think about that; think about the new and improved “freedom” brand.

A week from today we’ll take an in-depth look at the new kid on the block: a mysterious right-wing nonprofit that won’t reveal where its mega bucks are coming from.[sound familiar?]

http://www.counterpunch.org/2010/10/19/the-koch-empire-and-americans-for-prosperity/

anyway, libertarianism is a bigtime fascist op.

wait, so now you guys are saying that even literally advocating for mass copkilling is bad? where am i right now

Petrol posted:

Ha. I guess in between raping hordes of mythical russian tweens he had time to write a bunch of insightful stuff about this. Better shoot the messenger

*shakily holds up loaded pistol, nervously aiming back and forth between Ron Paul and Mark Ames*

I'm the anti-fascist!

No I'M the anti-fascist!

"I'm just.....i'm just not sure...."

hmm now that i think about it....if libertarians are fascist....and kkkops are OBVIOUSLY fascist.....any website that provokes them into killing each other is just doing the L'rds Work. imo
Well look, once again, it depends. WHY do they say police should be killed