c_man posted:

lol this is apparently one of the daughters of one of the protest organizers

its the daughter of the HK chief executive lol http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2014/10/01/cy-leungs-daughter-hong-kong-taxpayers-fund-my-beautiful-shoes-and-dresses

theres def a strong family resemblance, imo.

china will kick him to the curb any minute now . i mean they should do it just to try and placate the mob, but they're gonna have to now that he's proved completely ineffective at winding the whole thing down.

lol.at.when.she.starts.describing.FB.and.says"just.ask.the.great.zukerberg."

all.hail.great.zukerberg.and.his.weird.techo.fascist.'required.amounts.of.integreity'.that.he.has.only.targgeted.at.drag.queens.for.some.reason

she.knows.what.FB.is.and.how.to.use.it.properly.so.obviously.she's.better.than.the.unemployed.cretins

(my.space.key.is.broken)
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

HenryKrinkle posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

south-east asia labor immigrant class

would like to hear more about this aspect. how would this movement disenfranchise them?

i was told it had to do with neutering an attempt to wedge some labor influences onto the chief executive selection committee, but in retrospect this seems dubious in terms of usefulness and feasibility and would probably be trivial to stop with a much lighter handed approach... i'll ask around if i get an opportunity. i'm still trying to get a handle on the region's politics, just a dumb foreigner doing a little logistics support from my cozy canadian bunker.

c_man posted:

lol this is apparently one of the daughters of one of the protest organizers
http://i.ur.com/wXQHsnY.jpg

communist greetings,

chai yan leung

Petrol posted:

( ̄□ ̄;)

pack it in protestors. stamping and crying hasn't been an acceptable method of getting your way since you were in nappies

tpaine posted:

styeg

Kobaïan is a lyrical language created by French drummer and composer Christian Vander for his progressive rock band Magma. It is the language of Kobaïa, a fictional planet invented by Vander and the setting for a musical "space opera" sung in Kobaïan by Magma on ten concept albums. lmfao is there anything more Prog

my indie-prog band is called "the hundred sights of ezra kōenighyakkei"

http://online.wsj.com/articles/hong-kong-democracy-protests-carry-a-christian-mission-for-some-1412255663 posted:

Hong Kong Democracy Protests Carry a Christian Mission for Some
Churches Are Deeply Embedded in Hong Kong Society
By NED LEVIN
Updated Oct. 2, 2014 10:46 a.m. ET

The protests now roiling Hong Kong are about democracy. But there is an undercurrent of another, much older tension: Between Christianity and Communist China.

Hong Kong’s churches are playing a quiet but important role in the city’s protests, offering food and shelter to demonstrators, with some organizers and supporters citing Christian values as inspiration in their fight.

At least three of the founders of the main protest groups are Christians, including the 17-year-old leader of a student group and two of the three heads of Occupy Central. One of the group’s founders is a minister and the city’s former Catholic bishop is a vocal supporter.

Churches are deeply embedded into the fabric of Hong Kong society, in contrast to mainland China, where religion is strictly controlled. The Catholic Church established a foothold in the former colony in 1841, the very year that the British wrested control of Hong Kong island from China, with other denominations following soon after. Christian institutions have since become part of Hong Kong’s civil sensibility.

While the protests are specifically for democratic elections in Hong Kong, some see a broader struggle to protect that culture from China’s communist government as it increases its influence on the city. Christianity has been a visible element of the demonstrations, with prayer groups, crosses, and protesters reading Bibles in the street.

On the other side, some of Hong Kong’s top government officials and business leaders are also Christian, including No. 2 official Carrie Lam and former Chief Executive Donald Tsang, who are both Catholics.

The fight for democracy is “a question of the whole culture, the whole way of living, in this our city,” said Cardinal Joseph Zen, who retired as head of Hong Kong’s Catholic flock in 2009.

Beijing’s influence through Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying “brings to Hong Kong the whole culture which is now reigning in China, a culture of falsity, of dishonesty, a lack of spiritual values,” said Cardinal Zen, sitting in the cool interior of a church seminary. “We can see that it is coming, so we have to resist.”

Some see the gap between Christians and the Chinese government as unbridgeable. “Christians, by definition, don’t trust the communists. The communists suppress Christians wherever they are,” said Joseph Chan, a political-science professor at Chinese University of Hong Kong and a supporter of the protesters.

Hong Kong’s major church organizations have taken largely neutral stances toward the Occupy Central movement. The leader of the Catholic Church, Cardinal John Tong, issued a brief statement Monday urging the Hong Kong government to exercise “restraint in deployment of force” and telling protesters to be “calm” in voicing their grievances. A spokesperson for the city’s Anglican Church said in July that it wouldn't encourage its parishioners to break the law.

But some churches are providing aid to protesters. Wu Chi-wai, pastor of Hong Kong’s Christian & Missionary Alliance Church, estimates that more than half of the roughly 1,400 Protestant churches in Hong Kong have been organizing ad hoc groups to help the movement. “We have prayers and attendees at sites singing hymns like they would on Christmas Eve,” Pastor Wu said.

Vine Church, home to a multinational congregation of about 1,500 people, has been providing first aid, food and refuge to protesters at its Wan Chai headquarters since Tuesday evening. “We’re not taking a political stance. We’re here to serve the people of Hong Kong,” said senior pastor Andrew Gardener, who says his church has been praying for peace in the city.

At the main protest site Thursday, 50-year-old IT consultant Alex Cheng was on a 24-hour fast with several other Christians. Mr. Cheng said he had seen a few Christian groups nearby, although most kept a low profile. Next to him, six friends held hands in silent prayer, as passersby stopped to read their signs, one of which was a prayer for God to “move the government to listen.”

The involvement of Protestants and Catholics in Hong Kong’s protest movement is an added concern for Beijing, which on the mainland has put in place an elaborate bureaucracy of agencies and state-approved religious bodies to monitor and control religious groups.

Hong Kong churches have long tried to spread Christianity in China. Protestant pastors based in Hong Kong have helped propagate the evangelical brands of Christianity that have alarmed the Chinese leadership in Beijing with their fast growth.

About 480,000 Protestants and 363,000 Catholics live in Hong Kong, a city of about 7.2 million, according to government figures from 2013. Buddhists and Taoists make up the vast majority of the city, the government says. Many Hongkongers have been educated through large networks of Catholic and Protestant schools.

That includes some protest leaders. Joshua Wong, the 17-year-old who is a public face of the rallies, was educated at one of the top Protestant-backed private schools in the city. Now in college, Wong was a 15-year-old student at United Christian College (Kowloon East) in 2012, when he led a movement called Scholarism that defeated the Hong Kong government’s plan to introduce patriotic education classes in schools.

Occupy Central leader Chu Yiu-ming is a Baptist minister, while founder Benny Tai is also a Christian. On Thursday, Mr. Tai declined to discuss his faith in detail, but he did call himself a “part time theologian” and said he could “write a thesis” on the topic of Christianity and the protests. “My faith is in the streets,” Mr. Tai added.

Wendy Lo, 21, was born in China’s Guangdong province but grew up in Hong Kong and became Christian after attending an Evangelical secondary school. The University of Hong Kong linguistics major says her bible study group this past weekend discussed how to interpret a biblical story in light of the protest movement. The chapter they read was about Queen Esther daring to approach the king without his permission.

“The story made me think about speaking up for myself,” said Ms. Lo. “If Hong Kong residents don’t speak up for ourselves, who will?”

On Thursday night, church volunteers handed sandwiches to protesters, wrapped and sealed with a heart-shaped sticker reading “Jesus loves you.”

Onward, Imperialist soldiers, marching as to war,
with the cross of Jesus going on before.
Banks, your royal Masters, lead against the foe;
forward into battle see their banners go!
early magma is really good
early magma is just rock

Superabound posted:

early magma is just rock

very undialectical of you

the Heavenly Kingdom of Great Peace will rise again

Petrol posted:

btw the catholics mentioned here are all either layperson CEO types or retired priests, not active representatives of the church. while i dont doubt there are probably clergy involved with the shady organizations at the top of the protest, the actual Diocese of Hong Kong has simply released the expected statement calling for restraint and a peaceful resolution for all parties.

this mcclatchy piece is portraying the protesters as being motivated by understandable economic grievances:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/09/30/241537/hong-kongs-young-fed-up-with-high.html

What would protesters want done if they had real democracy? Answers vary, but several young people complained about widening inequality and a Hong Kong economy that caters too much to tourists, many of them from the mainland. They come to shop – or at least window-shop – at the outlets for Cartier, Versace and other luxury brands that line many of Hong Kong’s boulevards.

“All of these fancy stores are for the tourists, they are not for us,” said protester Choi-Wing Tung, who’s 23. “They are driving up the rents for all of us.”

Kwok agreed. “The housing policy of Hong Kong needs to be changed,” she said. Even a 300-square-foot apartment in the city goes for 10,000 Hong Kong dollars a month, she said, or about $1,500 in U.S. dollars. That’s why Kwok, who works for a nonprofit women’s foundation, is living with her parents.

“It’s crazy to live like this,” she said. “You have no control over your life. You can’t even have sex.”

k. so based on some anecdotes we have it alleged that mainland China's policies are responsible for high unemployment, high prices, and high rent. could be partially true but the article gives us no other evidence to back it up. non-existent are the descriptions of what greater independence from China would accomplish in terms of economic policy. does the hong kong occupy movement have a plank in their platform for rent control and such?

nothing is explained in concrete terms.

economic concerns lol this guys ready to address some widening inequality between your ass and his d'k
Isn't the inequality like directly stemming from HK's existing autonomy and status as a special economic zone or whatever? I have a suspicion the demands for even more autonomy from folks like mr hedge fund would be directed towards making HK even more of an ultracapitalist shithole
[account deactivated]

chickeon posted:

Isn't the inequality like directly stemming from HK's existing autonomy and status as a special economic zone or whatever? I have a suspicion the demands for even more autonomy from folks like mr hedge fund would be directed towards making HK even more of an ultracapitalist shithole

hk is like 10% higher on the gini index than mainland china~~

chickeon posted:

I have a suspicion the demands for even more autonomy from folks like mr hedge fund would be directed towards making HK even more of an ultracapitalist shithole

well yeah, i mean, the whole point of international attention to Hong Kong is because the U.S. picked it up from the UK as a means to discipline the Chinese and so naturally it is also about satisfying America's shitty petty power brokers there, in general when the West asks for more autonomy and freedom the definition is "no capital gains tax"

you assholes are gonna be singing a different tune when the Chinese government ends up killing tens of millions of these protesters just like i heard they did at Tiananmen Square

ukraine must have autonomy from russia . . . for its children to prosper! *rump coup kiev parliament immediately rams through six hundred quadrillion U.S. dollars in IMF debt as "reform" consultants rain out of airplanes* this actually happened by the way.
theres no joke there its not a very funny situation, much like all my other posts
the greatest the CIA ever pulled was convincing Rhizzone that it is the world

TheIneff posted:

My co worker used to be a backpacker English teacher and he told me that the year and a half he spent in China (Beijing) was the worst culture shock he ever experienced. "They're just completely uncivilized, every interaction is business oriented in the sense that's it's all about whether or not they can get over on you. Its all a scam or grift or negotiation. Very practical people, I was at the garden of the Emperor or shrine or something and there was a 13 year old girl peeing in the middle of the square and no one bothered to say anything. I got hit by a car when I was biking down a busy intersection and got hurt pretty badly and no one stopped to see if I was Ok. Every one spits everywhere. Hong Kong though was nice, they act normal there."

every cracker racist in chicago has a story about seeing a shooting or being shot at

[account deactivated]
that didnt make much sense in the context of things. pissed off after debating some racists at work. sup tpaine?
[account deactivated]
chug a lug donna
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

you got owned. drink it down

whisky & coke and disco music, comrade

some sick owns getting dished out tonight itt that i wouldnt miss
if you think about it owning someone is kind of the perfect crime
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

animedad posted:

tpaine posted: