"We thought it was over," one source told CBC News.

"We couldn't tell good shots from bad shots," said another. "So the sheer number of shots could lead to a conclusion that the good guys lost the battle outside, and we were going to be rounded up and killed for being members of the government."

i laughed thinking of the conservatives steely-faced expecting they had finally inspired the first violent coup in canadian history. lol

i am posting this from across the street from Parliament. no coups sighted. lots of cops though. it would be awesome if there was a strong enough movement in canada to use this as an opportunity to educate people about imperialism but instead the news has turned into Get Used To This, Permanent War. rip
the government is basically trying to find some way to criminalize radical views without pissing of those parts of their base that want neonazism to be tolerated. the police are trying to push the line that these people weren't doing anything explicitly illegal and that's why they sort of had to let them plot. like they nipped their plans to go to syria in the bud and that's about the scope of their powers. but in reality there's either obvious stuff that would have caught the ottawa attacker (he was driving around without plates with a gun in the car) or like basically nothing (a lone wolf type that doesn't post all day on facebook about how great ISIS is might not get caught in any weird new laws you make).

there's talk that they are going to expand and clarify incitement laws or something so that they can scoop up people but they are already pretty stupid. i mean remember that one of the key arrests made during G20 was a protest leader for saying he thought it was morally right to tear down security walls. like he didn't even make a specific threat against uhh the metal fence.

for rhizzone types, which tend not to be ISIS sympathizers, they do go after maoists in canada. they set up a FBI-like entrapment plot it seems like and arrested a number of maoist activists in quebec for planning an unlikely bombing campaign. this was just a year ago or something. nothing in the news about it really because not scary muslims.
actually it's technically illegal to be a PCR-RCP member in quebec because the government identified them as a criminal group. quebec has tough gang laws against criminal organizations. but as far as i know, other than supporting their comrades, it's sort of a bogus thing and they still operate somewhat in public. like they operate a bookstore which is the sort of thing the police monitor but don't shut down.

the harper government was really focused on two things around "radicalism" i think: 1. don't let people go to syria. 2. smash all the environmental orgs trying to fuck with development through audits and police activity and such. i could see them broadening it into a bigger thing and starting to arrest more leftists in general.
I really want to do a whole thing of how this is Harper's burning of the Reichstag and how he reacts will show whether or not fascist comparisons are justified but I don't know much more that basic theme.
All the dead soldier who was killed by the terrorists, was gay. "This goes to show once again the power of democracy and they hate our freedom," says Harper. "I a conservative doesn't even like the homosexual, but I promise all cops will protect our way of life against the the terror. That's democracy." A representative of the homosex community added "Freedom", twirling in a pink tutu in front of a smiling cop.

getfiscal posted:

the government is basically trying to find some way to criminalize radical views without pissing of those parts of their base that want neonazism to be tolerated. the police are trying to push the line that these people weren't doing anything explicitly illegal and that's why they sort of had to let them plot. like they nipped their plans to go to syria in the bud and that's about the scope of their powers. but in reality there's either obvious stuff that would have caught the ottawa attacker (he was driving around without plates with a gun in the car) or like basically nothing (a lone wolf type that doesn't post all day on facebook about how great ISIS is might not get caught in any weird new laws you make).

there's talk that they are going to expand and clarify incitement laws or something so that they can scoop up people but they are already pretty stupid. i mean remember that one of the key arrests made during G20 was a protest leader for saying he thought it was morally right to tear down security walls. like he didn't even make a specific threat against uhh the metal fence.

the "driving exactly the speed limit" of police powers. good stuff

so clearly they already have all the powers they need to shut down protests, which is why they ignore the law every time in that case. lol

tpaine posted:

don't listen to any rhizzoner who tells you that it's your state or province or whatever that is uniquely awful. as a floridian, i get it here a lot but you and me shrienkingviolent, we know that's false. we know that the rest of our countrymen are just as bereft of value. only difference is, it's a little warmer here. outside at least, not inside

What about lefty-liberal havens like SF and the Pacific Northwest? You may object to things about them, but many people here are critical of capitalism, imperialism, etc. which seems to be the core of your complaint. You kinda live in a red state

getfiscal posted:

for rhizzone types, which tend not to be ISIS sympathizers, they do go after maoists in canada. they set up a FBI-like entrapment plot it seems like and arrested a number of maoist activists in quebec for planning an unlikely bombing campaign. this was just a year ago or something. nothing in the news about it really because not scary muslims.

The people who defend neonazis generally don't oppose counter-terror surveillance. And I'd be surprised if this guy didn't have ANY internet activity related to this, especially since he is a recent convert

getfiscal posted:

i'm worried about detentions, deportations, stripping of citizenship of muslims who say the wrong thing on facebook etc. much more. i went to high school in flemingdon park in toronto. the school and the surrounding neighbourhood/mosque is mostly muslim immigrants and i'm pretty sure it was heavily surveiled and informed on even back then. they pulled some people out of school for being connected via relatives to the toronto 18 thing in 2006, now shit like this is popping back up:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/toronto-18-informant---we-need-to-get-our-act-together-162749983.html

Edited by Bablu ()

getfiscal posted:

for rhizzone types, which tend not to be ISIS sympathizers,

(citation needed)

Agnus_Dei posted:

The people who defend neonazis generally don't oppose counter-terror surveillance. And I'd be surprised if this guy didn't have ANY internet activity related to this, especially since he is a recent convert

this guy posted like ISIS videos all over his facebook yeah. but i mean that the conservative backbenchers have been saying to the media that they are concerned about "thought crime" stuff in any possible new laws, because obviously they don't want like "people arrested for being christian" or "people arrested for being concerned about immigration" or whatever

Bablu posted:

i'm worried about detentions, deportations, stripping of citizenship of muslims who say the wrong thing on facebook etc. much more. i went to high school in flemingdon park in toronto. the school and the surrounding neighbourhood/mosque is mostly muslim and i'm pretty sure it was heavily surveiled and informed on even back then. they pulled some people out of school for being connected via relatives to the toronto 18 thing in 2006, now shit like this is popping back up:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/toronto-18-informant---we-need-to-get-our-act-together-162749983.html

yeah that's a good point.

this is why i always find it funny whenever liberals/leftists support free speech restrictions because Ablooo Like Eight Gay Teens Committed Suicide This Year. like they won't come after the musselmen and commies after (or prior to, or without) shutting down all those mean ol bigots

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

this is why i always find it funny whenever liberals/leftists support free speech restrictions because Ablooo Like Eight Gay Teens Committed Suicide This Year. like they won't come after the musselmen and commies after (or prior to, or without) shutting down all those mean ol bigots

you admit that the govt. could crack down on leftist speech without using a crackdown on the far-right as a precedent yet you "find it funny" that certain leftists support hate speech laws?

it is certainly possible that the government could crack down on islamo/leftie speech with or without hate speech laws, but there's no denying that their existence sets a precedent and thus makes it easier

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

"Surely THIS will be the one law our police wont selectively enforce specifically to oppress minorities!"

All you have to do is crack down on the wrong sort of nazi: the kind that puts on a swastika, carries a portrait of Hitler and goes marching in the street ranting about Jews. By contrast, you support public intellectuals who genuinely contribute to society and follow the rules of decorum in their earnest efforts to correct our understanding of history.

This isn't much of a sacrifice, as those former types are more of an image problem, people bad at adaptation. Many of them are punks, prisoners, and assorted ne'er-do-wells. Keeping them under open scrutiny is useful for partisan hygiene and encourages more constructive forms of communication. Plus, if left to their own devices, some of them do become terrorists. (It should be obvious, but to be clear, that is a bad thing, to be prevented by serious means of intervention.) Give them a lecture and a slap on the wrist; if they throw a tantrum, jail them until they agree to reform their methods. Then keep an eye on them, and check in from time to time.
squirtle
[account deactivated]

Agnus_Dei posted:

All you have to do is crack down on the wrong sort of nazi: the kind that puts on a swastika, carries a portrait of Hitler and goes marching in the street ranting about Jews. By contrast, you support public intellectuals who genuinely contribute to society and follow the rules of decorum in their earnest efforts to correct our understanding of history.

This isn't much of a sacrifice, as those former types are more of an image problem, people bad at adaptation. Many of them are punks, prisoners, and assorted ne'er-do-wells. Keeping them under open scrutiny is useful for partisan hygiene and encourages more constructive forms of communication. Plus, if left to their own devices, some of them do become terrorists. (It should be obvious, but to be clear, that is a bad thing, to be prevented by serious means of intervention.) Give them a lecture and a slap on the wrist; if they throw a tantrum, jail them until they agree to reform their methods. Then keep an eye on them, and check in from time to time.

I think you should bend her over a park bench and gently caress her with your stinking, rock-hard gently caress staff until she's dead. Use your keys to rip her creamy little dick cavity to shreds. Smear the blood all over your face and shaft. Then, you should poo poo into her mouth. By this, you will show her that you are in the dominant position, and that you don't care one way or the other about her behavior. It's the next best thing to loving severing, which you should promptly do while you vote her life a five and give her rear end AIDS. Nuke her from orbit, but at the same time, make sure you're using fire. I am a big fat enjoyable human being. I like to pick my nose and put the boogers into my erect penis. I like to pee out little rods of my compressed penis booger. God is a enjoyable human being. God is a friend of the family. The Lord God Jesus Christ is a worthless enjoyable human being. I kill everything I see. I can't stop loving. I wish I could have sex. I want to gently caress so bad. I can taste your loving vagina juice. I am a friend of the family. I am a stupid stupid fat loving friend of the family. God is Hitler's enjoyable human being. There is no such thing as a enjoyable human being.

gyrofry posted:

lol

i'm in toronto now i think i'll go talk to them
seriously how am i supposed to find the guy now. there was this vice 20th anniversary bash starting at ten pm at an abandoned hydro station but i showed up at three am and just helped the party van pack things up, couldn't get mans's number or w/e

if someone wants to do up a pitch, there's 150 jobs available and 24 hours a day 7 days a week of prime canadian vice(tm) programming up for grabs
speaking of gay, i think these new poppy hijabs are stylish and am trying to think of a way for a dude to wear them
genderchaos

daddyholes posted:

genderchaos

this and meteo were the strongest spells when it came to boss fights in the world of ruin

someone get deadken to pitch a show to Vice Canada and make him promise to write an expose on them for puigdepot but then try to get a full-time job with them instead and get fired after four episodes anyway
fringus please pitch The Rhizzone Hour, a tasteful hour of you browsing the rhizzone, reading posts out loud, and then offering your comments on them.
i would like to hear a panel with all of today's popular conservative talk radio personalities, and donald, discussing current events.
i will watch that channel as long as it features hours long blocks of Cooking With Masao
steve brule/masao crossover needed.
is from my new mmorpg
justin bourque who killed three rcmp officers got the harshest sentence in canadian history since executions were outlawed today. i used to think a life sentence over here was 25 years max w/o chance at parole but looks like they changed that in 2011 so they could give men like bourque three consecutive maxes no parole for a total of 75 years

"Justice Minister Peter MacKay defended the legislation, saying the sentence on Friday is “more in line with the Canadian public’s abhorrence of violence.”

“The family and friends of the victims of these crimes want to know that the Canadian justice system has the tools it requires to hand down the most severe punishments available to the murderer who took their loved ones from them,” he said in a statement.

The rare sentence is another example of the Americanization of the justice system, prominent criminal lawyer Clayton Ruby said Friday."
lol watch harper double orders of the new f-20whatever in response

Barbarossa posted:

lol watch harper double orders of the new f-20whatever in response

my gf and i were walking around ottawa last weekend and on the way back from rideau hall we ran into some black cars stopping traffic and a group of black-suited men and The Right Honourable Stephen Harper taking a walk. we said hi to each other.

as he passed us I'm pretty sure I heard some hissing voice whisper "ssssteve... you musssst... kill every arab... ssssomehow you can accomplish this with air ssssuperiority aircraft... think of the economy..sss" but I guess it might have been the wind

congrats on not doing the right thing