[account deactivated]

hey i've been here. well, see ya!
ill never understand people who are so on the fence that they can be effectively swayed by campaign advertizing blitzes, but it only reaffirms my belief that we should Kill All Moderates

Superabound posted:

ill never understand people who are so on the fence that they can be effectively swayed by campaign advertizing blitzes, but it only reaffirms my belief that we should Kill All Moderates

advertising in general has always felt like a big charade, like one day somebody will wake up and realize that ads don't actually do anything (because in form they are hopelessly crude propaganda and mostly feature well-known and established products) and they're wasting tons of money and the entire advertising industry will collapse at once bringing down 90% of the media with it. it can't possibly be sustained by the positive belief that dollars thrown into advertising are made up for by dollars in new sales - for a company like coca-cola or bmw, the sales impact of ads has got to be next to nothing - for very large companies i think advertising has an ideological function, for others i think it's mainly the fear of losing market share to competitors, if they spend more to advertise than you do. so basically it's just large companies throwing endless good money after bad in an attempt to keep up with their competitors and it's just a positive feedback cycle from there. the entire american media ecosystem then, exists principally as a byproduct of that copious and socially useless waste.

Edited by KilledInADuel ()

ive met multiple people who will unselfconsciously buy products because they liked the ads
please kill those people

KilledInADuel posted:

Superabound posted:

advertising in general has always felt like a big charade, like one day somebody will wake up and realize that ads don't actually do anything (because in form they are hopelessly crude propaganda and mostly feature well-known and established products) and they're wasting tons of money and the entire advertising industry will collapse at once bringing down 90% of the media with it. it can't possibly be sustained by the positive belief that dollars thrown into advertising are made up for by dollars in new sales - for a company like coca-cola or bmw, the sales impact of ads has got to be next to nothing - for very large companies i think advertising has an ideological function, for others i think it's mainly the fear of losing market share to competitors, if they spend more to advertise than you do. so basically it's just large companies throwing endless good money after bad in an attempt to keep up with their competitors and it's just a positive feedback cycle from there. the entire american media ecosystem then, exists principally as a byproduct of that copious and socially useless waste.

being well known and established doesn't actually have its own inertia, maintaining a stranglehold on the popular imagination like coca-cola and associates do requires an enormous infrastructure of which advertising is a vital part.

also being "well known and established" alone isn't nearly enough, advertising doesn't just create some nebulous "awareness" it controls the discourse through saturation. a massive media presence crowds out troublesome things like conversations about cola war death squads in south america, and when someone likes that funny/heartwarming/whatever schlock commercial that some clickbait site spoonfed them they make an emotional connection to The Brand that provokes indignation in the average person if you attack the parent company for flagrantly shitting all over its laborers.

the most effective part of this emotional reaction is that looking at it directly and rationally confronts a person with incredibly asinine and embarrassing it is to have a stronger emotional bond with a fast food chain than with the human beings it employs, so people don't. they shut down conversations, avoid seeing news that makes them 'uncomfortable' and generally prune their own experience of inconvenient content

like have you ever done any kind of research into advertising whatsoever. you sound like one of those hippy retards that like, spent 6 months without a tv, man, and sees right through that shit, doesn't affect them-

*chorus of children begins to chant* CAN'T TOP IT. CAN'T STOP IT.

and then they all voted for reagan
realtalk i spent ages browsing hair products for african american men today cos the packaging was eye catching and i wondered how it wd be to actually use this stuff. like depilatory powder for your face instead of shaving. you have to mix it w water. crazy stuff
like i will never cease to be amazed at people who scoff at the power of advertising as they wallow encrusted in evidence of its depredations, and then have the temerity to look down those poor lesser normies. it is you. you are the ultimate sucker. the greatest advertising campaign ever aired was the one that convinced you it was powerless
i did it. the revolution is in my head.

shriekingviolet posted:

being well known and established doesn't actually have its own inertia, maintaining a stranglehold on the popular imagination like coca-cola and associates do requires an enormous infrastructure of which advertising is a vital part.

also being "well known and established" alone isn't nearly enough, advertising doesn't just create some nebulous "awareness" it controls the discourse through saturation. a massive media presence crowds out troublesome things like conversations about cola war death squads in south america, and when someone likes that funny/heartwarming/whatever schlock commercial that some clickbait site spoonfed them they make an emotional connection to The Brand that provokes indignation in the average person if you attack the parent company for flagrantly shitting all over its laborers.

the most effective part of this emotional reaction is that looking at it directly and rationally confronts a person with incredibly asinine and embarrassing it is to have a stronger emotional bond with a fast food chain than with the human beings it employs, so people don't. they shut down conversations, avoid seeing news that makes them 'uncomfortable' and generally prune their own experience of inconvenient content

pretty sure this is exactly what he meant by "advertising has an ideological function"

cherry coke zero over diet coke btw #cokechat

littlegreenpills posted:

realtalk i spent ages browsing hair products for african american men today cos the packaging was eye catching and i wondered how it wd be to actually use this stuff. like depilatory powder for your face instead of shaving. you have to mix it w water. crazy stuff

ive used the same black ppl hair pomade (Sportin' Waves) for almost 15 years because it doesnt leave your hair hard and crusty or wet and greasy looking like most other stuff does. And used to use those black people razors that help prevent razor bumps until i decided to just stop shaving entirely

can i just say the op was one of the best things ive seen on the net in a good shake. no ones talking about the good original content and i guess its up to me, piss, to go ahead and shout it out
shriekingviolet is right. coke now makes most of its revenue off "non-sparkling" products (sparkling means like coke and sprite), like bottles of water and such, for the exact reason that sales don't have as much inertia as people think, and because investors want constant growth into new markets.

piss posted:

can i just say the op was one of the best things ive seen on the net in a good shake. no ones talking about the good original content and i guess its up to me, piss, to go ahead and shout it out

yeah. Its like, the op is coke classic, and the rest of the thread is new coke

Superabound posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

pretty sure this is exactly what he meant by "advertising has an ideological function"

last night i was drunk and cranky but i still don't really think so! i'd love to hear an elaboration though, there's probably at least an eight hour window before i get vicious and catty again

piss posted:

Look out everybody, piss just won the thread

my wife says rick scott has probably has had surgery on his right eye possibly even to excise a tumor or something and its mean and puerile and we should all stop making fun of someone just because they're ugly
let me talk to her

littlegreenpills posted:

my wife says rick scott has probably has had surgery on his right eye possibly even to excise a tumor or something and its mean and puerile and we should all stop making fun of someone just because they're ugly

except when someone's ugliness is the physical manifestation of their evil soul

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

like i will never cease to be amazed at people who scoff at the power of advertising as they wallow encrusted in evidence of its depredations, and then have the temerity to look down those poor lesser normies. it is you. you are the ultimate sucker. the greatest advertising campaign ever aired was the one that convinced you it was powerless

does advertising ever consist in the simple, accurate, and directed public linking of products to their relevant qualities, quantities, prices, and times and sites of availability??? or do we have to start talking about "semiotics" or something now

i get the walmart flyer through my letterbox once in a while

[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

i can't tell who agrees with who so i'll just drop this instead http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2011/11/luxury_branding_the_future_lea.html

[account deactivated]
Iraq is probably an improvement from florida tbh
[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

rick scott tumor

maybe he's bald because he has terminal cancer but sold his sold to mephistopheles so that he could live forever, though the symptoms of the disease have long ago reduced his body to nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtuQRC4e52o

shriekingviolet posted:

Superabound posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

last night i was drunk and cranky but i still don't really think so! i'd love to hear an elaboration though, there's probably at least an eight hour window before i get vicious and catty again

for the record i agree with what you wrote in the last two p's and i think it describes part of the "ideological function" better than i could. also i don't think i'm doing any looking down at "poor lesser normies" or not having a tv for 6 months (like a hippy!), the way i put it, it is the advertisers who are dumb, not the targets of their ads - ie that media companies & businesses are bound to an advertising-driven world that is actually a net drain on their resources, but no company is able to individually make the decision to stop advertising or they'd be eaten up by the next biggest guy.

i don't think americans were juuuust about ready to start giving a shit about latin american death squads, but then the coca-cola commercial came on and they sang the nice song. (ok this is looking down on normies a little bit). if anything, the ads are more like a payment for the media blackout of coca cola murders, since the network that broadcasts the news depends on their ad buys. yer right that it's naive to regard ads as something that exclusively targets individual consumers with the exhortation to buy, a lot of value is in these omerta relationships it fosters within entertainment and journalism.

Edited by KilledInADuel ()

something very important that most people dont realize is this: Advertising agencies do not make ads designed to convince consumers to purchase products from corporations, they make products designed to convince corporations to purchase ads from their agency
wrap. it. up.
4fo5jLdJlgI