Petrol posted:

an incredibly annoying and loathsome personality

seems to sell well these days

they made a documentary thats just lauryn hill reading the chapter "concerning violence" from wretched of the earth set to footage of black servants and laborers leering at settlers and national liberation fighters doing advanced dance moves in the bush. its on netflix. the first scene is spivak reading a preface off a piece of paper while seated in her office, in a wide angle.
[account deactivated]
She only watches Adam Curtis docs... and she screams, and her voice is straining and she says baby. It's 3 am I must be crazy. And outside an Adam Curtis doc stopls plaaaying and she says baby
[account deactivated]
Nice..
my spanish harlem adam curtis. lol!!

The men in the 1982 The Thing aren’t gay enough to live.

hmm indeed. good article

i watched ep1 of Vietnam: a Television History

currently watching youtubes on world system theory
This guy's underlining technique is wack.

city

jazz
i watched Kino-Pravda #21 last night and it had a surprising amount of animation in it

fun stuff though / i've always meant to check out some non-Man With a Movie Camera Vertov

Themselves posted:

currently watching youtubes on world system theory

change the forum name to Nimrod BABYLON

"WATCH THE PHONY WHITE LIBERALS! WATCH PHONY COOL HIPSTER BARACK OBAMA" - Norman G. Finkelstein
i fired up the first episode of Man In The High Castle expecting at least a mediocre but stylish adaptation of the pkd story and it's hilariously bad. i thought tv was the new film and online-only exclusives were free to be artistically inventive and intelligent or whatever, what the fuck happened? the cinematography is goofy, the dialogue is kindergarten level, there was some CG in the background of the first two minutes that made me embarrassed for them, and, and, and

so i read a review after i shut it off and apparently it just becomes a vehicle for holocaust reenactment wrt identity politics so you can feel good about being a liberal, instead of being the "hmm wait this nazi america is basically the same as now actually" it should have been

zero stalins out of five
[account deactivated]
belated thank you for the krew, i have added it below catman comics
i noticed today that the facebook comments on armond white's reviews prove he is an ill fit for the national review's current readers. then i noticed they proved the entire writing and editorial staff are an ill fit for their readers, lol. like it used to be the sort of guys who bought gigantic sound systems to listen to obscure white blues and now it's the "small business owner" star wars super fans of the world. what i wanna know is how the hell it still exists let alone makes dumb decisions like hiring armond white to tell people in film school terms that star wars is bad.
i just got a response back from them and they said very carefully.

cars posted:

i noticed today that the facebook comments on armond white's reviews prove he is an ill fit for the national review's current readers. then i noticed they proved the entire writing and editorial staff are an ill fit for their readers, lol. like it used to be the sort of guys who bought gigantic sound systems to listen to obscure white blues and now it's the "small business owner" star wars super fans of the world. what i wanna know is how the hell it still exists let alone makes dumb decisions like hiring armond white to tell people in film school terms that star wars is bad.

Armond White used to be great, he's gotten a little bit repetitive and has drifted from critiquing identity politics to critiquing "political correctness." But he's still the last movie critic out there and it's hilarious how incongruous he is with any audience these days. As long as they keep making movies about the Obamas and he keeps reviewing them i hope the weekly standard sticks around.

[account deactivated]
im watching like, a terrible movie. it sucks

babyhueypnewton posted:

Armond White used to be great, he's gotten a little bit repetitive and has drifted from critiquing identity politics to critiquing "political correctness." But he's still the last movie critic out there and it's hilarious how incongruous he is with any audience these days. As long as they keep making movies about the Obamas and he keeps reviewing them i hope the weekly standard sticks around.

he also seems to sincerely believe that there is a conspiracy of fans of marvel superhero movies who launch organized raids on social media to denigrate rival action movies and reduce their box office. i feel like he has made some weird friends out on the internet but hey, who hasn't.

I use to like A.O. Scott for movie reviews until Scott published an apologia for 'Sausage Party'.

A.S. Hamrah is good.

Basically I go through the list alphabetized by monogram, and,.
armond white is still worth it mainly for his master trolls such as writing a review of the batman movie for national review where he explains that the movie is good because it avoids the pseudo-political identity politics pandering of other superhero movies and then writes another one for Out magazine saying it's good because superman and batman are clearly down to fuck each other.
People who analyze pop culture too much tend to become bizarre and dumb about niche things and get a bug up their ass about fictitious non-entities like "political correctness," furthermore *hardcover copy of Living In The End Times falls off my bookshelf, bruising my toe and reminding me of past shames*
I watched all of Horace and Pete, which was weird and mostly about how everything is fucked and horrible and everyone dies. Also something something identity politics. I think I liked it but I'm not sure.

I'm deliberately sounding superficial about it because I don't think anyone here really cares. But it's definitely not average tv.
i watched La Chinoise again
[account deactivated]
I just watched 'Hidden Figures', about three black women involved with NASA projects in the 60s and how they succeed in spite of racism. Rather conveniently, they portray the white astronaut John Glenn, who was the first American to orbit earth, appear surprisingly tolerant and forward thinking, because without accomplishing that, the movie cannot include a jingoistic circlejerk over 'winning' the space race.

There is also a funny seen where they are in a meeting and the boss dude is all like "Guys, the commies beat us into space with Gagarin! I refuse to believe they are smarter or more passionate, so they must be working harder. That means you will all be working unpaid overtime now to catch up, and anyone who does not like this is fired." The director plays it off without a whiff of irony.
the best part about that movie is how they killed of john glenn irl in order to promote it

"it's uh.. Pepe, it's become kindof a symbol-POW!
wow; instant classic
[account deactivated]

Gssh posted:

"it's uh.. Pepe, it's become kindof a symbol-POW!
wow; instant classic

yeah. even if the hit wasnt as solid as one might've liked, the timing was perfect.

inside job?

Themselves posted:

inside job?

you're joking but some people believe this

i watched DPRK football classic Centre Forward

it was aiight