i like carl sagan

dipshit420 posted:

. also everyone i know has not had to pay out of pocket for their shot, so i'm not sure it's a massive money making scheme.

i could be sheeple on this, i dont know

Just like how Grumman doesn't make any money on their military contracts since they've never sent you a bill.

Whether you're paying them out of pocket, implicitly through an insurance premium, or implicitly through government public health subsidies, pharmaceutical companies are definitely getting paid. Fluzone sold to the tune of 1.3 billion in 2012 http://www.fiercevaccines.com/special-reports/fluzone

That's not to say that vaccines don't work , but industry funded studies definitely overstate flu vaccine efficacy, and it's not hard to guess why. (http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.b354.full.pdf+html
They're certainly not in the the same league as, say, the measles vaccine, especially given the panoply of flu strains.

Edited by Aspie_Muslim_Economist_ ()

look at these flu vaccines they don't work sometimes lol *takes goat hair pills with ionized water*
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
So the argument here is that flu vaccines effectiveness is overstated, but on the whole positive? You guys need to calm the fuck down.

walkinginonit posted:

So the argument here is that flu vaccines effectiveness is overstated, but on the whole positive? You guys need to calm the fuck down.

Read -> Comprehend -> Post

My bad

quavers posted:

ok well back on topic i think that the anti-vax movement is based on disgust with the capitalist medical system

it isn't at all though, the most likely to forgo vaccination are first world bougie motherfuckers who would faint at the sight of a red star on a kid';s sweater within 10 miles of their autistic child's 90k/yr gluten free school campus. the people bearing the worst brunt of capitalism and most likely to be mobilized against it overwhelmingly prefer vaccination because they can';t afford Hitlerized healthcare. The antivaccine crowd embrace the worst and craziest products of first world excess like paying dr oz to blast coffee into their colon or locking their kids up in gated poor-free zones as their prefered method of disease prevention.

While the best (only) reasons to oppose vaccines as they currently exist are anticapitalist ones, that doesn't entail at all that those who actually choose not to vaccinate are doing so for those reasons, and aren't overwhelmingly those same motherfuckers who should be first against the wall.

Personally, I don't believe in vaccinations for my kids OR mandatory employee hand washing. And I vote.
flu vaccines are for the weak and infirm but mmr is a good idea for infants or whatever

gyrofry posted:

abstaining from vaccination is basically like low grade biological terrorism against capitalism and therefore morally correct

my personal unemployment is a strike against capitalism and consumption and beneficial to the environment, but that doesn't mean I don't need to get a job.

shriekingviolet posted:

because there is no such thing as rationality and the illusion of it immediately dissolves in the face of unmediated fear?????

actually on second thought i don't agree with this because it oversimplifies the problem; health witchcraft is not a phenomenon solely or even primarily surrounding a clear and present fear. if you're dying of inoperable lung cancer and you want to put chinese river leeches on your anus i'll look the other way. but people are willing to resort to absurd quackery at the drop of a hat for any ailment up to and including slightly dry skin

There's no looking away from the leechanus, goat

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

discussion topic: what is it about disease and ones' body that turns people, even educated semi-rational modern people, into hooting half-apes who try to beat the sickness out with rocks

i need my body to never stop working or i will be truly f*cked

I just need to live forever and ill be fine, Hopefully running a small business is gonna get me on the path to that
why has nobody brought up that a ton of people getting sick with debilitating and infectious diseases transfers more surplus value than everyone being healthily vaccinated
like I mean someone has to be spending more on doctors and drugs and whatnot
like yeah ok you can do more work if your healthy but if a burger flipper gets a chronic health condition that makes him a damn cash cow
Many of these childhood illnesses that they force vaccines on us for are not as dangerous as they are made out to be. Both my parents had measles and were fine. Most people who had family living before the 1960s probably did too. The common defence is that vaccination reduced the current fatality rate and the disease would be more dangerous without herd immunity, but this is not true.

The vaccine was introduced in Britain in 1968, and as you can see the death rate was already in steep decline before then due to improved nutrition, sanitation, and nursing practices. The conditions that made measles a childhood plague exist in poor countries and combined with HIV make it a real danger there, but in developed countries this is not the case. Straight from the WHO:

Measles is still common in many developing countries – particularly in parts of Africa and Asia. The overwhelming majority (more than 95%) of measles deaths occur in countries with low per capita incomes and weak health infrastructures."

The advertised fact that over 100 countries have higher rates of immunization than the US (including Iran and Zimbabwe!) shouldn't be a black mark considering that some of these same countries still have a higher death rates from measles due to their bad health and nutrition.

But selling vaccines to governments as a public health panacea is way more profitable for corporations, hence why the capitalist media is out to get vaccine skeptics. A year ago a bunch of atheists, a couple scientists but mostly non-scientists, tried have a conference on vaccines shut down at SFU on the basis of it being "dangerous" to the public. I don't know what being an atheist has to do with being for vaccination, but when it comes to science open-mindedness is probably the safest position to take given how often and dramatically the scientific truth can change.

lol
"vaccination is way more profitable to corporations than treating disease." incredible
so we should let people go at risk of contracting easily preventable diseases because they probably won't die? sounds fine to me...
[account deactivated]
this $60 non-patented vaccination you have to get twice in your life is way more profitable for Big Health Care than however much they can bilk your insurance company for treating your four year old for viral conjunctivitis
[account deactivated]

"vaccination is way more profitable to corporations than treating disease." incredible

Mass producing something inexpensive then forcing every person on earth to buy it at huge cost looks a lot more profitable than treating a handful of serious infections every year in the ICU.

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

so we should let people go at risk of contracting easily preventable diseases because they probably won't die? sounds fine to me...

Should we tie a pool noodle around your head every day in case you fall down and hit it on something? Maybe...

[account deactivated]

swirlsofhistory posted:

Mass producing something inexpensive then forcing every person on earth to buy it at huge cost

lol

swirlsofhistory posted:

Should we tie a pool noodle around your head every day in case you fall down and hit it on something? Maybe...

How many days could you even go before running out of space for another noodle?

what will cure me of this forums cancer?!

swirlsofhistory posted:

Should we tie a pool noodle around your head every day in case you fall down and hit it on something? Maybe..

wow great posting... not! lmao

[account deactivated]
tpaine let's form a superteam to end all human life.

we can form an alliance with roseweird, who will help us to clear the way for a new engineered superspecies; and tom, who can i guess sit on people; and swirlsofhistory, our most powerful teammate, because all living things would rather commit mass suicide than have to read his awful stupid garbage words
[account deactivated]
the most profitable route would be to sell both a vaccine that doesnt really work and treatment for the disease that the vaccine is supposed to prevent because the vaccines dont actually work and they actually cause other problems that you also sell treatment for
[account deactivated]

TG posted:

flu vaccines are for the weak and infirm but mmr is a good idea for infants or whatever

this is dumb as hell because infants cant consent. let them make their own decision when they turn 18

[account deactivated]
it's equally fuckedu p that they repeatedly try to justify such a barbaric and archaic ritual with the weakest possible "science". like it's not enough to allow people to do such a terrible thing but they gotta try and force it on people too