le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i've been doing some looking into analytics for work and basically all of broadcast television advertising is a scam. for example, an episode of Orphan Black gets about 400,000-500,000 viewers and has a budget of a little under 2 million an episode. an average Red Letter Media video on youtube will do that amount and bring in less than 1/2000th the ad revenue. there's DVD sales and international licensing for the tv show of course but it doesn't begin to bridge that gap. the difference is that on tv they can't prove that the ads don't work, are ignored and nobody gives a shit

yeah that's a good point. no one really ever figured out how to exploit TV-equivalent content online at the same hoodwinked level so the model became Google's, including an insane amount of scrabbling recently to detect when people are blocking the ads, which is used as a metric for people ignoring advertisements... which is what people do regardless. but all the work put into that detection has led to the arms race of overlays testing out different tones of voice for the Web site saying you and it don't need to use a condom because your love is more powerful than that. i doubt we'll see a massive reorganization around premium access to bandwidth for content providers but since the current admin despises "net neutrality" in the sense of applying Title II/the Telecom Act to ISPs there's always a possibility of it

cars posted:

the Vatican is effectively dismantling the leadership structure of the Knights of Malta, the strongest sect to the right of the Holy See and one that has been allowed to operate not only in belligerent rightist opposition to the Chair of St. Peter but also as a sovereign state under international law. Some famous Knights of Malta thugs were: Bill Donovan, founder of the CIA, former CIA director William Casey and international crime capo Alexander Haig. The KoM were the main channel for high-level Nazi war criminals into the Western Hemisphere, both to hide them in South America and to hook them up with jobs in the United States intelligence agencies. They gave Reinhard Gehlen, Hitler's chief spy against the USSR, their Best Good Boy award... in 1948.

it's a power struggle years in the making but the current dispute started because one of the more liberal big-time KoM guys gave out condoms with their money and the KoM fired him and he appealed to the Pope. pretty happy about all this and hope the 'fish will delurk for his take.

i always find this stuff interesting but its like an alien world to me lol.

advertising still runs on the model that a significant amount of people who see ads will obey them, but the "science" of advertising isn't half the magic adam curtis makes it out to be because while control over boundaries of accepted conversation remain strong, actual connections between the impact of advertising campaigns and the sale of products is still a bunch of voodoo, the taco bell dog was an incredible flop for Taco Bell in terms of increased market share against competitors, and so on. and right now the focus is on fuzzy huggy "building relationships" with customers, which is a bunch of terrified horseshit from the academy since customers obviously hate interacting with companies after a purchase. it usually means something went wrong with the product or service and so it's actually about damage control on the cheap, and certainly no company of scale is willing to pay for the labor required for stable customer relations anymore.

it's actually cheaper in a ton of different markets to just give some arbitrary portion of dissatisfied customers whatever they want while not rising above a certain determined level of that, and then stonewall as many people as possible with extra fees and time they have to spend getting the same treatment. the obvious example is the insurance industry, another is cable service. and of course everyone who interacts with either their insurance or cable provider a lot absolutely hates them.

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

i always find this stuff interesting but its like an alien world to me lol.

the Catholic news press in the United States is basically the non-Catholic press in miniature only everyone is an incomprehensible medieval hipster from far left to far right. i only follow this stuff because i like to shut down my extended family so everyone can enjoy dinner but it does tell us a little bit about our friends in C I A.

[account deactivated]
Erik Prince (Blackwater/Xe guy) is an incredibly spooky Catholic convert who leaped straight into the arms of Opus Dei from outside the Church
the world is very weird and fucked up. i am staying inside

i've been doing some looking into analytics for work and basically all of broadcast television advertising is a scam. for example, an episode of Orphan Black gets about 400,000-500,000 viewers and has a budget of a little under 2 million an episode. an average Red Letter Media video on youtube will do that amount and bring in less than 1/2000th the ad revenue. there's DVD sales and international licensing for the tv show of course but it doesn't begin to bridge that gap. the difference is that on tv they can't prove that the ads don't work, are ignored and nobody gives a shit

This is true btw, the entire tv model is built on doing it because everyone always did it but nobody actually watches tv anymore. I think for a lot of the 2nd and 3rd tier cable channels ownership is so monoplistic now that you've got to make a buy on like tru tv to get prime time network space.

Also if you actually watch those low tier channels the ads are all stuff that would only be on at 2 am or 11 am in years past, all life alert and so on. The entire model is dying.

A moderately popular podcast in the 100k listeners range has a larger audience than 90% of first run television
if you've ever watched fox news in daytime it's great all the ads are geared towards either bilking ancient paranoid crackers out of their last few dollars or suing the people who gave them their disability to get a settlement so they can sell them more gold coins.

if you've ever watched fox news in daytime it's great all the ads are geared towards either bilking ancient paranoid crackers out of their last few dollars or suing the people who gave them their disability to get a settlement so they can sell them more gold coins.

i'm up late for work a lot and a while back i would check Fox News every morning around midnight or after, and i found out it's when they float trial balloons for stories from the far-right fringe to find out what will work with early adopters of their ideology. like, most stories that will be on Fox News the TV channel 24/7 in two weeks will probably be on Fox News dot com early tomorrow morning, between 12 AM and when Red Eye starts, each sandwiched between a similar story that turns out not to have legs and an article about UFOs.

Republican Congress members during Obama's two terms depended completely on Fox and talk radio for direction since they knew their constituents hated them and loved the right-wing press, and so every single major line of attack they had against Obama in his second term appeared weeks beforehand on the Fox News site, meaning that if Democrats had gotten anyone other than David Brock's personality cult of cackling hens to watch the channel and take it semi-seriously, they could have anticipated and responded quickly to every last criticism of their guy from the opposition.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/2016-ratings-fox-news-channel-is-cable-tvs-most-watched-network/315009

“As we close out our 20th year, Fox News continues to redefine television news and break ratings records, proving it is indeed the most watched and most trusted television news source in the country,” said co-presidents Jack Abernethy and Bill Shine.

The ratings for 2016 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):

Primetime (Mon-Sun): 2,429,000 Total Viewers / 481,000 A25-54
Total Day (Mon-Sun): 1,395,000 Total Viewers / 280,000 A25-54

so if we assume the viewers above 54 wouldn't use a computer anyway, and no one under 25 who watches Fox matters to anyone, getting 760k viewers on a daily thing is not only not a big deal, it's 0.76% of the 25-54 population of the US.

traditional media is only important to itself

I got a job as a TA at George Mason this past fall. It has been, on the whole, an all right experience, and learning how to deal with students has been an education in itself. I am also taking classes at the university to complete my masters in history. Currently, I'm taking courses entitled: The European Civil War, Protest and Disorder, and Civil Rights and Citizenship in Modern America.

Anyway, hello to everyone again.
Movie idea:

Cold War space race except instead of trying to get to the moon, the two nations are engaging in an escalating series of magic tricks a la The Prestige. The US magician makes the Empire State Building disappear. The Soviet magician makes the Winter Palace disappear. This continues and you see behind the scenes all these scientists supporting the different magicians and so on for bigger and better tricks, until the Soviet magician does a trick so good, the US can't figure out how to match it. Try as they might, they just can't top it. So they nuke the Russia

drwhat posted:

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/2016-ratings-fox-news-channel-is-cable-tvs-most-watched-network/315009

“As we close out our 20th year, Fox News continues to redefine television news and break ratings records, proving it is indeed the most watched and most trusted television news source in the country,” said co-presidents Jack Abernethy and Bill Shine.

The ratings for 2016 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):

Primetime (Mon-Sun): 2,429,000 Total Viewers / 481,000 A25-54
Total Day (Mon-Sun): 1,395,000 Total Viewers / 280,000 A25-54

so if we assume the viewers above 54 wouldn't use a computer anyway, and no one under 25 who watches Fox matters to anyone, getting 760k viewers on a daily thing is not only not a big deal, it's 0.76% of the 25-54 population of the US.

traditional media is only important to itself

yeah you have to put it into context

in the key demo fox's primetime shows perform about the same as afternoon spongebob reruns

ilmdge posted:

Movie idea:

Cold War space race except instead of trying to get to the moon, the two nations are engaging in an escalating series of magic tricks a la The Prestige. The US magician makes the Empire State Building disappear. The Soviet magician makes the Winter Palace disappear. This continues and you see behind the scenes all these scientists supporting the different magicians and so on for bigger and better tricks, until the Soviet magician does a trick so good, the US can't figure out how to match it. Try as they might, they just can't top it. So they nuke the Russia

I've got a few movie ideas too, if someone wants to start a thread.

went to this new jim woodring exhibit that was showcasing larger works which was cool since he normally deals with smaller dimensions. i didn't realize until after the show he also used a giant goddamn pen to ink it.

anyways, i came across this book of soviet posters in the museum shop and bought it. i have an oversized scanner so if you click on any of he images they'll take you to a much larger version if you want to download them.

rip xipe

Edited by karphead ()

RedMaistre posted:

I got a job as a TA at George Mason this past fall. It has been, on the whole, an all right experience, and learning how to deal with students has been an education in itself. I am also taking classes at the university to complete my masters in history. Currently, I'm taking courses entitled: The European Civil War, Protest and Disorder, and Civil Rights and Citizenship in Modern America.

Anyway, hello to everyone again.

ive taught both stem and humanities classes and generally enjoy teaching, i hope you get a lot out of it!

cars posted:

advertising still runs on the model that a significant amount of people who see ads will obey them

i dont know if this is really true, my understanding is that the goal of many marketing departments is more that people see their brand often enough that their brand becomes a default option when they see it in a store

c_man posted:

i dont know if this is really true, my understanding is that the goal of many marketing departments is more that people see their brand often enough that their brand becomes a default option when they see it in a store

that's one of the supposed mechanisms by which it works, sure, didn't get into that level of detail about it but good to note

taco bell dog made it into the literature iirc because it's held up as an example of evidence that refutes that specific dogma
we just have to live mas and then everything will begin to make sense

RBC posted:

The communist party of canada was on my old mail route and i can confirm that it's basically two old people in a crusty attic above a souvlaki shop who basically do nothing but read the newspaper

For anyone who was doubtful (shameful):

hell yeah
I went to a talk by their leader, Elizabeth Rowley, where i met a dude who is a lurker at the 'zone. it didn't take long to find out that we both frequent the same stalinist-irony forum after he mentioned sam kriss.
It was the best day of my life.
!!! we should have a Toronto poster/lurkers 'go to the baseball game' day in the summer!
i want some fuckin slouvaki
I am in the process of moving to a new city which is good bc it means not living in a dysfunctional and emotionally abusive commune any more. Meanwhile two people close to me have died in the past few months and I heard yesterday from a friend who was just pulled off the street into a van and sexually assaulted at gunpoint. My life history has not given me the tools to respond to or fully emotionally process the amount of tragedy that is happening around me which is why I am degrading these experiences by posting about them on an internet forum full of strangers. It is really easy to numb myself, I'm going to go back to watching my friends play video games
you're in my prayers. please try to reach out if you can to people in your life with whom you can discuss these events in a full and honest way.
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

my understanding is that the goal of many marketing departments is more that people see their brand often enough that their brand becomes a default option when they see it in a store

it's cool that the entire market is based on tricking people into spending more money than they normally would and this is considered acceptable and good

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i think i radicalized my barbershop and i got a fresh haircut so real life is lookin up today
I'm one nude assed swamp man. Good lord! My nude swamp ass bucks hypnotically as I gamble through my filthy home.

roseweird posted:

marketing has tricked me into wearing clothes and using computers instead of sitting naked in a swamp chewing frog bones and i'm mad as hell about it

thanks to this post I have decided to embrace fascism

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

groundservices posted:

The great thing about America is you can spend your weekend doing whatever hobbies you like!

two days off in a row? looks like we've got a labor aristocrat here

*tugs blue collar*