cars posted:

fun teaching moment today... people were talking about how cashiers say "no problem" or "no worries" where older people expect to hear "you're welcome" or have the cashier thank the customer. i pointed out how the material relations of workers to stores has changed thanks to contemporary corporate structure, so where it used to be that continued business from customers directly benefited a worker who was the son or daughter of a family owner or one of a few lifelong employees, now both the worker and the customer know instinctively that good business might have no impact or negative impact on a worker.

like, a store doing good business might lead to the power to automate that worker out of a job next month, or internal analytics might suggest firing workers regardless to increase profits, and if it was a kid working at their family's store that's a net gain to the kid in the short and long term: the family has more money the next month, the store they might inherit gains value and the kid can go out and look for another job with a net increase in their wellbeing, their ability to go to college later, etc. if a worker gets fired from a chain store nowadays, they're just fucked and everyone knows they're not paid sufficiently anyway, so any service they render prompts gratitude from the customer and the polite response (honest or not) is, it wasn't any extra trouble for the worker.

people seemed to stop and think about that a little harder than when it was just discussion on the level of "boomers" and "millennials" and sniping back and forth about "feeling entitled"... economic thinking never fails to impress in the west I guess.

i dont give a shit if service drones say "you're welcome" or "no problem" but i cringe imagining the interminable ein svei training videos that instruct them to say "my pleasure" or "venti"

All the fast food drive thrus ask about your day now at first it was just Taco Bell now it's most of them. Insanely fucked up. How's my day? Well I'm buying fried chicken wrapped around lettuce tomato cheese and sauce, a dark Taco beyond all limits or shame. So it's going ok I guess.
my day? it's fine. how's yours? trying to raise a kid on $9 an hour huh? bummer. i'm going to take my congealed meat slurry and burn my tires down to the metal in my hurry to get the fuck out of here

drwhat posted:

but i have a job here that will pay for me to go back to school, so i will probably stay here

Good luck with school.

as a long time patron of fast food drive throughs i find all these comments interesting and relevant, please continue

which brand provides the most pleasant drive through experience would you say?
Try and big time me again you're telling everyone that actually you don't even own a tv in ifap.

Keven posted:

drwhat posted:
i went and spoke to some people at a university in london and they were weird and marxist and i will probably go there to be those things too.

UK university seems really bizarre to me compared to Canada (this is even more so after reading getfiscal's post), all the degree programs seem incredibly insular. i was speaking to someone about some psychology stuff and i asked if any of the classes she mentioned were available to people in other programs and apparently the prospect was so insane that she didn't even understand it let alone have a helpful answer

welcome to england!! everyone must get in their designated box!! everything is fine!!

Departments are largely the same in USA & everyone talks about the need for interdisciplinary study and nobody ever takes the steps to reorganize the depaetments to allow for it.

I dunno if that's true generally in the US. I know lots of people working in weird interdisciplinary departments, and you can definitely take courses outside your field even as a PhD student--most of my PhD classmates took courses in other departments. My wife got paid to teach a course on "Magic, Religion, and Science" with an anthropologist and a religious studies lady when she was in grad school. None of them did natural sciences, though, so the science bit ended up being mostly Marxism IIRC

i'm proletarian. now, whom is this "Taceaux" and why do so many visit his belle

Aspie_Muslim_Economist_ posted:

Keven posted:

drwhat posted:
i went and spoke to some people at a university in london and they were weird and marxist and i will probably go there to be those things too.

UK university seems really bizarre to me compared to Canada (this is even more so after reading getfiscal's post), all the degree programs seem incredibly insular. i was speaking to someone about some psychology stuff and i asked if any of the classes she mentioned were available to people in other programs and apparently the prospect was so insane that she didn't even understand it let alone have a helpful answer

welcome to england!! everyone must get in their designated box!! everything is fine!!

Departments are largely the same in USA & everyone talks about the need for interdisciplinary study and nobody ever takes the steps to reorganize the depaetments to allow for it.

I dunno if that's true generally in the US. I know lots of people working in weird interdisciplinary departments, and you can definitely take courses outside your field even as a PhD student--most of my PhD classmates took courses in other departments. My wife got paid to teach a course on "Magic, Religion, and Science" with an anthropologist and a religious studies lady when she was in grad school. None of them did natural sciences, though, so the science bit ended up being mostly Marxism IIRC

Actually that's fair, it's gotten a lot better, at least within kind of the subgroupings they do where like, soc anthro psych are part of the same school.

[account deactivated]

RBC posted:

as a long time patron of fast food drive throughs i find all these comments interesting and relevant, please continue

which brand provides the most pleasant drive through experience would you say?

oh hi B

As to your question, it's pronounced drive thru.

roseweird posted:

at my school sociology shares its department with criminal justice and counterterrorism

lol, that's one reason I don't really buy into the interdisciplinary hype, at least as it's practiced. Mustering the will and grant money to bring academics from a bunch of different fields together means there's somebody with deep pockets who has a vested interest in a (usually) economic, sociological, or political policy question, which means you end up working for DARPA or the like a lot of the time. I was talking to an experimental economist who looks exactly like Jon Lovitz a few months ago; he was working on some cool interdisciplinary project on social networks, but it turned out the military wanted to use it to decide which people to kill in "terrorist" organizations. Whoops!

I was talking to an experimental economist who looks exactly like Jon Lovitz a few months ago; he was working on some cool interdisciplinary project on social networks, but it turned out the military wanted to use it to decide which people to kill in "terrorist" organizations. Whoops!

you promised not to tell

sometimes interdisciplinary programs are developed to exclude ideas from other departments, too. some schools in canada have 'political economy' units which i think are mostly there so that economics departments can plausibly ignore 'political economy' and focus on designing econometric models for derivatives markets. accordingly i applied to one of these programs.
the political economy unit at the school i applied to has a few dozen affiliated professors from other units and as far as i can tell none of them have a phd in economics.
That's what happened to all the Marxist econ programs in the US--they got split from the main program or the faculty were scattered to humanities, sociology, and polysci departments as interdisciplinary researchers.
this week i was talking to a senior, tenured public policy professor, he's been an assistant dean at multiple tier 1 universities, and he was showing me anti-trump memes on his phone and i was politely laughing until he showed me the one that says TRUMP in yellow over a red background and it had a hammer and sickle, and then i was like "i dont like that one, trump isnt a communist." "well, it's because he's such buddies with putin," he explained to me. and i said "putin isnt communist either, theyre both right wing" and he was just kind of like "whatever" and put his phone away .score one for communism!
Then we both walked to his class and I sat down in my seat and he went up to the lectern and we both started reviewing our respective notes and there were some light coughs and then the clock ticked over to 11:30, signaling the start of class, then everyone in the class stood up and applauded.

roseweird posted:

at my school sociology shares its department with criminal justice and counterterrorism

Its cool when the crimjus guys take the sociology version of any crime class and they're sitting there like excuse me professor but what if the criminal is a Sociopath, a special made up mental disease criminal whos mental disease symptom is they never stop committing crimes.

once in class i made an off-hand comment while presenting about something else about how obviously if you join a gang you're not necessarily a bad person and a criminology major interrupted me and wanted me to apologize for suggesting criminals could be good people.
also this week i was talking to a student in the hallway and he said that we need to screen immigrants better because a lot of them are terrorists.... good times.
i drank with dsa cadre tonight and we talked about how to get soros grant money for the revolution and also acab. im enjoying "real life" lately
Outside... so good. Close second to inside.

getfiscal posted:

Outside... so good. Close second to inside.

I was pretty impressed when someone asked your plan for space exploration and you proposed to make the entire atmosphere indoors

one time i was talking to this older white couple and i guess i addressed them as "you guys" at some point because the lady interrupts me to go "you were wrong earlier by the way" and im like "haha. what." and she's like "when you said 'you guys.' im not a guy. i have boobs" and pointed at her boobs. she wasn't like laughing or anything though, well she was but in the humorless mean way that implied she was sincerely concerned i didn't address them as like sir and madame.

elias posted:

i have boobs" and pointed at her boobs. she wasn't like laughing or anything though, well she was but in the humorless mean way that implied she was sincerely concerned i didn't address them as like sir and madame.

her boobs?

roseweird posted:

a friend in a related field mentioned to me the other day defense contractors are moving away from giving academic grants & contest rewards for Cool Robots and are instead focusing on incentives for people to give them Cool Social Engineering

elias posted:

one time i was talking to this older white couple and i guess i addressed them as "you guys" at some point

sorry but, we already have a thread for discussing whether "guys" can be gender neutral, the designated place for this topic is Root » Site News and Feedback » Current Issues

mods?

ilmdge posted:

this week i was talking to a senior, tenured public policy professor, he's been an assistant dean at multiple tier 1 universities, and he was showing me anti-trump memes on his phone and i was politely laughing until he showed me the one that says TRUMP in yellow over a red background and it had a hammer and sickle, and then i was like "i dont like that one, trump isnt a communist." "well, it's because he's such buddies with putin," he explained to me. and i said "putin isnt communist either, theyre both right wing" and he was just kind of like "whatever" and put his phone away .score one for communism!

plus ca change, plus cest la meme chose

roseweird posted:

lol, that's one reason I don't really buy into the interdisciplinary hype, at least as it's practiced. Mustering the will and grant money to bring academics from a bunch of different fields together means there's somebody with deep pockets who has a vested interest in a (usually) economic, sociological, or political policy question, which means you end up working for DARPA or the like a lot of the time. I was talking to an experimental economist who looks exactly like Jon Lovitz a few months ago; he was working on some cool interdisciplinary project on social networks, but it turned out the military wanted to use it to decide which people to kill in "terrorist" organizations. Whoops!

the biggest example of this is the field of "complex systems". its a mish-mash of quantitative techniques (sometimes from the sciences, sometimes not) applied to anything anyone can think of. i assume phil mirowski hasnt heard about it because i imagine it would give him an aneurysm

drwhat posted:

but i have a job here that will pay for me to go back to school, so i will probably stay here until that disappears and/or some company in canada wants to pay for it. i guess starbucks does that or something idk

They mak you start deciding your future academic path at the age of 13-14

because of the short loop, c_man's avatar just looks like it has stink lines to me, and so i always picture him as a smelly wario staring uncomfortably at the person he's speaking to. this adds to my immersion of rhizzone being just like a real org meeting

thanks for reading my post

drwhat posted:

because of the short loop, c_man's avatar just looks like it has stink lines to me

those are his "posts"

hmmm, time to read about the development of the pteroid then finish my article on soviet marijuana laws *clicks through each and every link on my reputation page instead*
Posting to check my ip later
someone was tweaking right outside my window. they were like pushing something up and down the road, bent over like a hunchback. they spotted me, and literally crawled away up a hill. then i saw them again, but it's bright out so they left for good i think.
not as bad as the old schizo woman wandering the elementary school parking lot at 9 PM when the street lights were off, though. i think those types of people are more scared of us than we are of them...

marlax78 posted:

not as bad as the old schizo woman wandering the elementary school parking lot at 9 PM when the street lights were off, though. i think those types of people are more scared of us than we are of them...

that was me

was that also you trying to talk to me that one time when i was walking my dog at like 6 am
[account deactivated]