[account deactivated]
urgh. this from the man who just said you're a fucking child if u don't vote for hillary lol
i would definitely trust patton oswald, a 5 HD elder child, on that topic
[account deactivated]
this is what i mean about comedy being hard nowadays. 50-part tweets demanding people vote for arch-murderesses, 72-part tweets anger-whining about 'PC' eating your balls, and you still have to find the time to acknowledge the uncomfortable existence of john oliver, it seems like too great a burden for any one wizened gnome to bear
holy shit, the berniebros killed patton oswald's wife
at least his first set back will probably be interesting

aerdil posted:

revenge for the bernie baby

[account deactivated]

cars posted:

this is what i mean about comedy being hard nowadays. 50-part tweets demanding people vote for arch-murderesses, 72-part tweets anger-whining about 'PC' eating your balls, and you still have to find the time to acknowledge the uncomfortable existence of john oliver, it seems like too great a burden for any one wizened gnome to bear

IN COMEDY NOW YOU HAVE TO HAVE A WEB PRESENCE & FOLLOWING AND YOURE NOT ALLOWED TO BE MEAN TO ANYONE ALSO IN COMEDY... SO WHA THE FUCK

THE FACEBOOK BOOKING GROUPS ARE EXTREMELY WHINY THO
one person i know in stand up has become an anti trump activist full time because they forgot that they were just repeating a secret twitter code word for 'come see me at laugh factory'
you're apparently also allowed to be super mean to other people in comedy still if you are a man and they are a woman and you wanted to have sex with them but they said no.
It's not a great scene 4 women for a number of reasons. There's a lot more resources than there used to be but you get boxed into some small spaces in terms of what kind of stuff you do + all of your cohort are angry drunk men.
women do seem to have a better chance of ending up on comedy podcasts if they're burlesque artists instead of comics. and like Steve Marting famously said, podcasting about burlesque is like a really big shit that smells very bad.
Everyones a lot nicer in standup than they used to be which i guess once upon a time was actively hostile but its still a terrible way to meet anyone (not romantically just meet people) because it's scummy on every level and so many of the people are walking disasters. I think the main reason for the "improv boom" is because you can meet funny people who havent also spent the last 8 years one and one half steps removed from thinking a school shooting would be a good life option.
The New York Comic lives every moment terrified of a False Rape Accusation while also living a life consistent with one day receiving a Not False Rape Accusation.
Waking disaster here. I do comedy
Same. Same.
Keven's insider tweets are great to me. Anyway let's all go to Patton's first set back and yell "freebird".
wanting to be on a stage and have people laugh and smile at you is already an insane thing so

i go to a lot of shows out here and mid-tier LA comics tend to be kinda samey aand a little toned down, more pop culture references, more topical, also more likely to have standup be one of like nine things they do. a lot of them want to act or write but they also do shitty standup because their friend runs the show or whatever. but road comics, pure stand ups, are way worse from what ive seen. which is cool. its good to see a dude basically from 1995 screaming, just screaming a joke where the punchline is the word bitch

last night i went to a show at the hollywood improv and one guy was telling jokes from his upcoming HBO special, a girl was practicing her beyonce impression for the @ midnight show, and then another girl was telling jokes that are gonna be in her upcoming netflix special. it was all funny but clearly they were just up there working on their rhythm or whatever. they drove 15 mins to the venue and then they prolly have other shit to do after. todd glass was there too he he was great. 6 bucks good show but tacky venue

there are a couple ""indie"' 'shows that are always good but a lot of that stuff borders on performance art, its not pure standup

i still havent been to an improv or sketch show thati enjoyed at all

i only know one person in the business who's married and they moved from nyc to cali and are very happy because it's chiller. i also have never liked a single improv night but i can always go out for drinks with those people after without it turning into who's afraid of virginia woolf on nick junior.
*nodding* cool by talking a little about some issues in the community what I was asking is if everyone could let me know they think what I do and enjoy is shit.

Keven posted:

what I do and enjoy is shit.

[account deactivated]
i went to a stand-up open mic once and like 30%-40% of the people performing were either cops or private security contractors
comedy is an arm of the us govt.

its not that i think all sketch/improv is bad keven but i think percentage wise its not a great bet. a lot of ppl who do it just seem like they want to be on stage but also cant write joke so they do improv. im sure youre good at it though kev and i would pay 5 dollars to see your antics

ilmdge posted:

aerdil posted:

revenge for the bernie baby

His wife dying finally got him to shut up about Trump and Sanders for more than 24hours. Hopefully this is the start of a trend.

Dane Cook was probably the last comedian I could stand listening to. The late aughts anti-Bush cultural backlash killed his career. It's not a friendly place for someone who looks like they've lifted a weight or hasn't gone through a bout of mental illness.

Edited by swirlsofhistory ()

Keven posted:

who havent also spent the last 8 years one and one half steps removed from thinking a school shooting would be a good life option.

is this about the doug stanhope routine

swirlsofhistory posted:

Dane Cook was probably the last comedian I could stand listening to. The late aughts anti-Bush cultural backlash killed his career. It's not a friendly place for someone who looks like they've lifted a weight or hasn't gone through a bout of mental illness.

excuse me sir, the rhizzone is a place where mental illness is a strength and weightlifting is optional

[account deactivated]
i wouldn't be able to do improv. in any case i've been given the arbitrary power to bother keven on here but i recommend his twitter around when the topic of good twitter comes up, just a handsome beta doing what i can to survive in this world of sex havers.
cant find the thread but kevens detective story was really funny
[account deactivated]
weird that cancer fetishism is almost 3x as popular as diaping... sign of the times?
[account deactivated]