I'm involved with a neighborhood revitalization project in a small city and want to convert city owned lots that were previously abandoned after flooding into an urban farm. Does anybody have any book/reading recommendations or personal experiences related to urban farming & cooperative management of said farms. Thanks rhizzone !!
in on the ground floor
Repost

http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2162&context=etd
http://modernfarmer.com/2014/07/lead-urban-gardens/

While lead contamination must occur over multiple exposures, in children it has been associated with lower intelligence and behavioral problems.

Now we know what causes leftism

Lessons posted:

Repost

http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2162&context=etd

finally a new way to pwn hippies.

In Victoria, there was an addictions recovery resource center located in the midst of a fairly classy downtown shopping area. Its location in the downtown core was ideal for the city's marginalized and homeless, it was very accessible and saw a lot of use. This caused no end of frustration to the local community business association, the presence of obviously impoverished people is bad for the image of the area. And that's bad for business. Across the street from the resource center was a small undeveloped gravel lot, it was a popular space to stop outside the center to smoke and socialize. This too was part of the success of the center, it's absolutely necessary for that kind of place to have somewhere people can smoke, and the sidewalks were narrow and unsuitable as Victoria is full of stuck up health yuppies and punishing civic bylaws.

The business association brought a proposal to the city: they wanted to give back to the community, and contribute to the beauty of such a lovely city. How kind of them! They wanted to build a community garden. What an excellent idea! They received approval from the city, and the business association reached out to various affluent leftist groups in the area to help with the project: the organic growers guild, student groups on campus, that sort of thing. They all loved the idea, community gardens are fantastic! It's good to see corporate types contributing to the community, maybe they're not so bad after all. On the empty lot, they built a beautiful garden.

Of course, a garden needs to be sheltered so that things can grow, so they built a fence around it. And we can't have cigarette buts polluting the soil, so littering was vigilantly and harshly penalized. Gradually, due to the lack of a socialization space and the increased presence of cops and clueless do-gooder students who want to feel safer, attendance at the center declined. The local business association came forward with another proposal: the current location for the addictions recovery center wasn't very popular anymore, but they had a larger place further out of town that they would generously lease for cheaper. The city thought this was an excellent cost saving measure for a program that had mysteriously declined in effectiveness.

They moved their offices, and now if you want to get to the center from downtown (where all their people are) you have to take the incredibly expensive Victoria transit system. The place is always practically empty. On the old downtown block, the business association is very happy.

Kill hippies.
http://www.rhizzone.net/article/2014/10/29/autonomous-integrated-sustainable-infrastructure-t/

http://www.rhizzone.net/article/2014/02/16/regenerative-agriculture/

this tsinava guy posted some cool shit which might be relevant

shriekingviolet posted:

In Victoria, there was an addictions recovery resource center located in the midst of a fairly classy downtown shopping area. Its location in the downtown core was ideal for the city's marginalized and homeless, it was very accessible and saw a lot of use. This caused no end of frustration to the local community business association, the presence of obviously impoverished people is bad for the image of the area. And that's bad for business. Across the street from the resource center was a small undeveloped gravel lot, it was a popular space to stop outside the center to smoke and socialize. This too was part of the success of the center, it's absolutely necessary for that kind of place to have somewhere people can smoke, and the sidewalks were narrow and unsuitable as Victoria is full of stuck up health yuppies and punishing civic bylaws.

The business association brought a proposal to the city: they wanted to give back to the community, and contribute to the beauty of such a lovely city. How kind of them! They wanted to build a community garden. What an excellent idea! They received approval from the city, and the business association reached out to various affluent leftist groups in the area to help with the project: the organic growers guild, student groups on campus, that sort of thing. They all loved the idea, community gardens are fantastic! It's good to see corporate types contributing to the community, maybe they're not so bad after all. On the empty lot, they built a beautiful garden.

Of course, a garden needs to be sheltered so that things can grow, so they built a fence around it. And we can't have cigarette buts polluting the soil, so littering was vigilantly and harshly penalized. Gradually, due to the lack of a socialization space and the increased presence of cops and clueless do-gooder students who want to feel safer, attendance at the center declined. The local business association came forward with another proposal: the current location for the addictions recovery center wasn't very popular anymore, but they had a larger place further out of town that they would generously lease for cheaper. The city thought this was an excellent cost saving measure for a program that had mysteriously declined in effectiveness.

They moved their offices, and now if you want to get to the center from downtown (where all their people are) you have to take the incredibly expensive Victoria transit system. The place is always practically empty. On the old downtown block, the business association is very happy.

Kill hippies.

Where was this?

it's a second hand story a couple people were talking about at a conference, I don't remember the actual name of the center and might have a couple cosmetic details wrong. sorry!
The only thing that sounds like is the Streetlink shelter move. Nothing to do with a community garden though, just pressure to move it away from the touristy Chinatown. Now it's a few blocks away among a bunch of light industry.
maybe i'll fish through my contacts and ask the guy, now you've got me curious

swirlsofhistory posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

Kill hippies.

Where was this?

hello FBI

shriekingviolet posted:

Kill hippies.

sounds like a happy ending

help they got rid of a vacant lot full of litter and junkies
That's always an issue with like halfway homes and stuff which sucks for the criminal wasteoid and his progress back to the world of men but it's reasonable to not want all the area parking to be taken up by felonious degenerates. So it's important to look at the issue from both sides.
To the op why don't you drink your artisanal small brew craft hot chocolate out of a mason jar while speaking to a group of bearded non gay male hairdressers about community gardens instead of a forum that will explain you're eating lead and battery acid.
i should start an organization that calls for the involuntary euthanasia of people who are utterly broken and who even in the best case are never going to be more useful to society than any one of billions of illiterate foreigners we could import tomorrow if necessary. it would be a lot better for everyone. a quick death is a lot more compassionate than dealing with withdrawals and absolute poverty and getting shuffled around by people who think they're too nice to kill you but are fine with running out the clock on you until you die a lot more painfully or end up in jail forever

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i should start an organization that calls for the involuntary euthanasia of people who are utterly broken and who even in the best case are never going to be more useful to society than any one of billions of illiterate foreigners we could import tomorrow if necessary. it would be a lot better for everyone. a quick death is a lot more compassionate than dealing with withdrawals and absolute poverty and getting shuffled around by people who think they're too nice to kill you but are fine with running out the clock on you until you die a lot more painfully or end up in jail forever

This organization, following its mandate, would just kill you and then immediately dissolve itself. Go for it.

my petard. what are you doing to it
we're simply not approaching this whole reduction of suffering thing rationally. in fact we're approaching it so ineffectively and irrationally that one might be tempted to guess the actual motivation is feelgoodism and not a serious attempt to make an optimal impact
life is a journey, goat
actually BC has a long and prestigious history of genuinely effective addictions treatment programs that are subsequently sabotaged by funding cuts, interference, or just plain shut down. there are strategies that have been proven to genuinely work and produce actual material improvement, they are just so out of synch with the sociopath attitudes of imperial capitalism (like yours above) that inevitably someone in the chain of command decides they'd rather return to the status quo of misery. needless to say this is because capital's power structures demand that kind of captive population to exist, blah blah blah at least we're not talking about urban agriculture
i don't know if you can really blame capitalism for that one. i think you will find better luck placing blame at the stoop of democratic liberalism which cannot muster the courage to simply mercykill these superfluous wretches and prefers a slow and unofficial death they can pretend isn't happening. capitalism is not trammeled by such considerations
[account deactivated]

i don't know if you can really blame capitalism

thats a ban

i don't know if you can really blame capitalism for that one. i think you will find better luck placing blame at the stoop of democratic liberalism which cannot muster the courage to simply mercykill these superfluous wretches and prefers a slow and unofficial death they can pretend isn't happening. capitalism is not trammeled by such considerations

i know you are making a funny but i still have to point out, that liberalism==capitalism, that a holistic view of the Drug's Problem recognises the opposite of the disgusting liberal notion of ""personal responsibility"", a malnourished and insignificant proposition compared to the actual responsibility of capitalism, at both the macro/imperial level, with regard to the production and importation of Drug's and the fundamental role that plays in Western Imperialism, no to mention the interreliance of legitimate and underground business and power structures, right down to the micro/societal level, with the availability of effective treatment only for the middle-upper classes, the overwhelming burden of criminalisation on the underclasses, the economic marginalisation of underclass communities, etc, etc, etc. anyway, haha, nice and funny post, mate.

[account deactivated]
Back in classical times one of the most common ways of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy was exposure; leaving the baby in the wilderness and walking away. That way, you weren't killing it, the gods were, and they could save it if they so desired. Obviously ideally we'd prefer some kind of foster system, but I think that failing that it's inarguable that they should have just killed it quickly. But they chose the least rational and most painful option because it allowed them to shirk responsibility and put it out of their minds.
For the record I'm not sincerely in favor of mass murder (that's a ban) I simply am demonstrating that a clearly reprehensible policy is more just and economically sound than the really existing one we're half-assing.

Back in classical times

catchphrase

*sniffs* let me tell you a great yjoke from classeecal times. a man walksh eento a a bar, and the bartender asks if he would like a tequila. the man says i don't like tequila. the bartender says that's good because we dont hev any because it is the year 2.
[account deactivated]
and so, what we need is not less bombs, less death, less ah, genocide et cetera *makes a disgusting noise* but i claim we should, if we want to really reduce suffering, be wiping out the, and i use this phrase broadly, third world, even faster than we are now, and so on
look, ap has long been a valuable comrade who has proved his dedication to the cause several times over

i don't appreciate people mocking him just because of his name which, as he's had to explain time and time again, is really just a very unfortunate coincidence
i'm starting some seeds indoors right now. the corn was the first to sprout and it is coming up quite nicely.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

sorry i'm just really turned on by gardening progress updates. i eagerly await more...ghhnggreeghhh

the corn. is coming. up.

the best urban agriculture work in my city is in a squat thats been in a bit of bother this week
https://www.facebook.com/resistgg

hopefully they will find somewhere else
i was at an urban farmstead that was also a pizza shoppe today, i don't know how they use the eggs in the pizza (maybe on the pizza?) but they definitely had you sitting next to a bunch of chickens