Žižek: There is no way back to communism. Stalinism was in a certain sense worse than fascism, especially considering that the communist ideal was for Enlightenment to ultimately result in the self-liberation of the people. But that's also the tragedy of the dialectic of Enlightenment. Stalinism still remains a puzzle to me. Fascism never had Enlightenment ambitions, it exclusively pursued conservative modernization using criminal means. To some extent, Hitler wasn't radical or violent enough.

SPIEGEL: What? You don't mean that seriously, do you?

Žižek: What I am trying to say is that fascism may have constituted a reaction to the banality and self-complacency of the bourgeois, but

Petrol: kxRX6LXDpWs
EVEN SLOJOV ZEZEK SAYS
HEIL HITLER
rX2PcO12Q0o
this is why you shouldn't do too much coke
"Just imagine a world without Europe."

Wat, no Tiësto?? No. Thanks.
[account deactivated]
but seriously, his most famous philosophical metaphor is about toilet design? yep.
he's right, the Enlightenment project, including Communism, is inherently racist
thank you henry krinkle

aerdil posted:

this is why you shouldn't do too much coke

ya but for all the cokeheads who turn into someone horrible like zizek or sam kriss there's also the ones who turn out awesome like me or george w bush

um, he's right and he's consistently argued that we should not go Too Far with the liberal multiculturalist attitude of 'tolerance'.

yes multiculturalism is valuable and obviously we should be struggling against racism, but he argues that the liberal attitude of 'tolerance' is really just a way of keeping your Neighbor at a comfortable distance.

if we really want to engage with our Neighbor, with honest respect, we need to not rob them of agency and be willing to criticize them in a loving way.

what's actually racist is the liberal attitude which views Muslims purely as a powerless or exploited or radically interpolated group who can only be treated as victims and who deserve "a pass" when it comes to what's acceptable in society.

the problem of course isn't Islam itself, but manifestations or interpretations of islam which are incompatible with the Aspects of European Enlightenment Which Are Worth Keeping
We should be open to Islam and Muslims living their faith, we should never put bans on niqabs or other stupid reactionary policies, but when you have someone arguing that gays should be stoned to death or women can't drive because of Islam then we MUST to be able to say Hold Up

We also need to be intolerant of Christian justifications for homophobia or creationism in school or whatever
What is 'Islam itself' and how do you have access to it?

when you have someone arguing that gays should be stoned to death or women can't drive because of Islam

who says this

not a good post edit

Edited by wasted ()

the problem with critiquing muslim reactionaries isn't that muslim reactionaries aren't comprador pieces of shit huffing the fumes of an ideology historically used to fight leftism and support absolute monarchy, because they are, its that in most if not all western contexts it supports and feeds into a violent and imperialist discourse.
Europe is just *too* multicultural Tolerant [outfits and trains neo-Nazi death squads, lynches immigrants, parades Mi5 agents disguised as Muslim clerics on television, carpet bombs arabs & sinks their refugee boats]

getfiscal posted:

What is 'Islam itself' and how do you have access to it?

I'm not too educated about the Islamic faith so I can't say too much however I respect it because I've seen Muslim believers acting in/through their faith to do wonderful and good and liberating things so I think it has a revolutionary potential like Christianity does, and as a Christian I see Muslims as followers of the same Abrahamic tradition which is cool.

Also... Like... How often does radical Islam come up in your day. You don't have to go around looking for problems. Like when I wake up I don't go ahh shit somewhere in Sudan some girl is getting her genitals cut a bit. That rarely happens to me. So why do I need to write a Guardian article being like our government must ban the export of razors to Africa and then make a viral video with like Iggy Azalea saying "I'm known for being fancy, but today I'd like to talk to you about something that isn't". You can just go get some pizza.

thirdplace posted:

the problem with critiquing muslim reactionaries isn't that muslim reactionaries aren't comprador pieces of shit huffing the fumes of an ideology historically used to fight leftism and support absolute monarchy, because they are, its that in most if not all western contexts it supports and feeds into a violent and imperialist discourse.

Well sure, which is why it's necessary to squash the neoliberal propaganda coming from the US hawks demanding that we "name the enemy" by declaring Islam as "the root of the problem". None of the bad stuff associated with Islam today w/r/t "terrorism" makes any sense whatsoever outside of the context of violent resistance against western imperialism or at least a consequence of cold war era anticommunism

I'm just saying it's dangerous and short sighted to fetishize the otherness of Islam in Europe by treating them the way white American bougie liberals treat blacks, as someone to be saved or pitied or who's struggle needs to be narrated by the privileged class in the same pocahontas style mythology that we see in movies like Avatar.

Give them the respect that demand for ourselves by holding them to some of the same ethical standards regardless of cultural difference.

The same is necessary when it comes to cleaning up Christianity in the west, mega churches and fundamentalism needs to be criticized by progressive believers and leftist non-believers alike, without the push towards New Atheism

getfiscal posted:

Also... Like... How often does radical Islam come up in your day. You don't have to go around looking for problems. Like when I wake up I don't go ahh shit somewhere in Sudan some girl is getting her genitals cut a bit. That rarely happens to me. So why do I need to write a Guardian article being like our government must ban the export of razors to Africa and then make a viral video with like Iggy Azalea saying "I'm known for being fancy, but today I'd like to talk to you about something that isn't". You can just go get some pizza.

radical islam is never an issue in my day to day life, however people talking about it is all too common deep in the heart of texas

of course I'm aware that the Islamaphobia in Europe is probably way more rampant and problematic so I understand the hesitation towards anyone suggesting we be more critical of Islam, but I think it's good if it comes from a position of Love as in the way zizek interprets the christian edict to love thy neighbor
Uhhhhhh stop talking to conservatives. Epic sever. If someone says something like police should be able to shoot kids for being late to school or whatever just be like "that sure is an opinion" and leave and then read more Mao.

The_Boourns_Identity posted:

of course I'm aware that the Islamaphobia in Europe is probably way more rampant and problematic so I understand the hesitation towards anyone suggesting we be more critical of Islam, but I think it's good if it comes from a position of Love as in the way zizek interprets the christian edict to love thy neighbor

what do you think about this point of zizek's: http://qlipoth.blogspot.com/2010/11/wielding-clubs-guns-and-chainsaws.html?m=1

getfiscal posted:

Uhhhhhh stop talking to conservatives. Epic sever. If someone says something like police shoot be able to shoot kids for being late to school or whatever just be like "that sure is an opinion" and leave and then read more Mao.

in rural Texas, there is no way to stop talking to conservatives unless I'm engaging in a period of Noble Silence and solitude. to support my family and work I must talk to, even shake hands and smile at conservatives however at least I'm vigilant and always critical, looking for ways to employ psychoanalytic techniques to subvert their ideology

and thanks for the suggestion I've been meaning to deeply re-read on contradiction but alas conflicts always arise

Crow posted:

what do you think about this point of zizek's: http://qlipoth.blogspot.com/2010/11/wielding-clubs-guns-and-chainsaws.html?m=1

gotta go for a while but I'll be sure to give this a read and share my thoughts later

Support your family? What is this Leave it to Beaver? Sell them into white slavery and use the money to buy guns.

getfiscal posted:

Iggy Azalea saying "I'm known for being fancy, but today I'd like to talk to you about something that isn't".

haha

Guns rule and I am the least white person in this house so this might be an option
me itt:
Just think of how imperialist and self center your country would have to be, to speak of other countries in terms of whether they can any longer be "tolerated." Think!!!
"It behooves me to have an opinion on Islam, make sure it is correct, and then share it" - an idiot
You can't like, have an opinion, man. At least, not really. All things are transitory.
this is my opinion: youre a bad poster.

agency

aerdil posted:

this is my opinion: youre a bad poster.

thirdplace posted:

Well sure, which is why it's necessary to squash the neoliberal propaganda coming from the US hawks demanding that we "name the enemy" by declaring Islam as "the root of the problem". None of the bad stuff associated with Islam today w/r/t "terrorism" makes any sense whatsoever outside of the context of violent resistance against western imperialism or at least a consequence of cold war era anticommunism

I'm just saying it's dangerous and short sighted to fetishize the otherness of Islam in Europe by treating them the way white American bougie liberals treat blacks, as someone to be saved or pitied or who's struggle needs to be narrated by the privileged class in the same pocahontas style mythology that we see in movies like Avatar.

Give them the respect that demand for ourselves by holding them to some of the same ethical standards regardless of cultural difference.

please take this in a spirit of comradery, because i am very far from perfect on it and struggle with it. i also might be wrong. but i don't think it's important to have a line on everything. we're not dictators of the world, we're not politicians, we're not even voters in a remotely genuine democracy. it is okay and imo good to simply be silent on some things, either because we must live lives and cannot devote the time necessary to penetrate imperialist propaganda on a given issue, or because one's position will be jujitsu'd into something vile. i believe both of these things are true when it comes speaking of the flaws of the 'slam as an American. note that this strategy also solves the problem you speak of. together we can overcome this tragic and damaging addition to Posting

Love as Zizek Interprets it.