[account deactivated]
this thread is interesting
[account deactivated]
that one's good. and crooklyn
[account deactivated]
actually paul w.s. anderson is the greatest american filmmaker
[account deactivated]
what is this i dont even
but more seriously, how do you stand on david lynch and cronenberg?

i don't really know why you're comparing spike lee to tarantino because obviously tarantino is a hack & i dont think his films are gonna stand up for anything more than just entertainment
[account deactivated]
Spike Lee did recruiting ads for the U.S. military. Anyway the best living filmmaker is Woody Allen followed by Godard.

"I'm very grateful to be given the shot," said Lee, "because there are some backwards people in the world -- some people who have a very narrow vision of who I am, of what I'm about, and what I can do."

lol

ah yes, the great marxist directir quenton tarateen-o
Are you sure you're not confusing ideology with artistic talent op?
if we're speakin' ideology & going outside america, then the most radical filmmaker directing today is self-described nazi lars von trier whose oeuvre is heavily indebted to brecht and other marxist directors like godard and fassbinder
brian depalma made some great movies
for a second i thought mel brooks died
Spike Lee has exclusively made bad things for a pretty godo chunk of time now I'm fairly sure

aerdil posted:

actually paul w.s. anderson is the greatest american filmmaker

Yeah probably.

calling someone the greatest american anything is basically the same as calling them the most delightful poop
whoa whoa whoa lotta names in here

david lynch, cronenberg, errol morris, darren arronofsky

what's the score?

discipline posted:

david lynch is a fascist

i think he's just a dick, not quite a fucker

cronenberg is canadian

Petrol posted:

calling someone the greatest american anything is basically the same as calling them the most delightful poop

arent you austrailian tho?

can we get to the bottom of whether petrol is in fact australian and if so can we get a ban? shouldnt have those types of "people" posting here
Film in general is overrated.
(Anyway surprised nobody mentioned jim jarmusch, who is certainly both artistically and ideologically superior to folks like woody allen or paul w. anderson....)

RedMaistre posted:

Film in general is overrated.

I prefer my pictures completely still, but with an overwhelming suggestion of motion

RedMaistre posted:

(Anyway surprised nobody mentioned jim jarmusch, who is certainly both artistically and ideologically superior to folks like woody allen or paul w. anderson....)

btw that post was a joke w.s. is the bad one, t. is the better one

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i brought up woody allen. my perspective is a lot like woody allen's. he never puts in the time to fully understand the stuff he engages with but he likes to poke fun at the conventions and pretensions involved. so he makes a lot of films that are love letters to different film ideas and plot conventions and genres. i like that.

although my sense of humour is actually much more like ellen degeneres'. she takes a simple cliche and then slowly twists it until it arrives at a nonsense place. and i'm not just saying that because she should definitely have me on her show after i went viral.
also you might have missed spike lee's most recent role, which was in a series of commercials aimed at promoting high interest rate credit cards to african-americans during basketball games. he is great. but he works for pepsi.
yea uh David Lynch was best buds with Reagan
yea uh but your stepbrother did a keger with hitler