i have rome on box-set dvd
also can i just say that goatstein's reddit diction even though supposedly "ironic" is even more grating than the real thing

wasted posted:

The show is really dumb cause they have ostentatious murders that serve no other purpose other than to shock the viewers and the characters in the series respond with ok w/e I'll hatch another idiotic plot.

yeah the Wire is fuckin shit m8

did rome have any rape in it tho
Cleopatra raped Titus pullo, because the power differential between a lowly centurion and a queen is too vast to allow for consent
i havent seen it in a while but i definitely remember some soldier raping a peasant woman who happened to be nearby
discussion question: do people who watch an ultraviolent show with pretty regular rape get to get weepy five seasons in when there's a rape
[account deactivated]

Keven posted:

Agreed and agreed but in a way that implies disdain for u.

Hey man i'll be writing bad shit for tv too probably. Its bad

get me a job on that bad tv show please. we'll make it extra bad,

Crow posted:

Keven posted:

Agreed and agreed but in a way that implies disdain for u.

Hey man i'll be writing bad shit for tv too probably. Its bad

sounds like crow just landed a job working for million dollar extreme!!!

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/19/senator-quitting-game-thrones
i didnt read anything else in this thread, but isnt the whole show rape? like i'm pretty sure it happens every episode.
and the main reason i liked that rome show was because of the historical stuff. you can find caesar talking about titus pullo and lucius vorenus here:

http://www.forumromanum.org/literature/caesar/gallic5.html#44
all tv is rape
its fucky weird to see a really average fantasy novel series slash SA/LF memesource get treated as an important Cultural Phenomenon. you people are the only ones i can share that with. just like vilerat. much love to all!
this doublepost isn't my fucking fault. i did nothing wrong

Edited by thirdplace ()

thirdplace posted:

just like vilerat.

aren't we all, in some way?

ilmdge posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/19/senator-quitting-game-thrones

wat the hell is water garden

[account deactivated]
i think theres only been four rapes in game of thrones, only one of which was against a sex worker. lets go to the rape scorecard!! *out rolls japanese gameshow style chalkboard with deadkens face of meth on top*

discipline posted:

gawker calls the women raped in most episodes "sex workers" though so it doesn't count

They're actresses, they're not actually being raped

Under high liberalism there is no distinction between plot and reality.
could everyone itt please back off on the whole there is no free choice under the economic compulsions of capitalism thing, please? it's really triggering to me.

aerdil posted:

could everyone itt please back off on the whole there is no free choice under the economic compulsions of capitalism thing, please? it's really triggering to me.

the dumbest shit ever is how whenever anyone says anything about whether or not "free will" is possible they always have a go at quantum mechanics and every detail about the organization of matter into people and their surroundings above the atomic level is totally ignored

actually i think you'll find that the dumbest shit ever is godbelief.
the ramseye character shot a lady with a bow and set dogs on her, so its not fair to say rape is the only way George can fantasise about violence against women

c_man posted:

aerdil posted:

the dumbest shit ever is how whenever anyone says anything about whether or not "free will" is possible they always have a go at quantum mechanics and every detail about the organization of matter into people and their surroundings above the atomic level is totally ignored

to clarify, its probably slightly less completely stupid when john searle declares that Consciousness comes from some sort of special thing to do with neurons, but still tremendously dumb

c_man posted:

.custom281772{color:#A37A52 !important; background-color:#96DEF2 !important; }aerdil posted:could everyone itt please back off on the whole there is no free choice under the economic compulsions of capitalism thing, please? it's really triggering to me.

also the fact that we can't predict it doesn't mean it's not deterministic.

well, still alice was a fuckin bummer of a movie. way more than that stephen hawking biopic. mental degradation is far more frightening/sad.

Edited by aerdil ()

Peelzebub posted:

i didnt read anything else in this thread, but isnt the whole show rape? like i'm pretty sure it happens every episode.

with regards to most recent episode: by every metric which i am aware of, i'm pretty sure consent was given

(i'm pretty sure the show doesn't even top one rape per season)

don't troll
1. in a medieval society, marriage is the standard for consent

2. in modern northamerican society, willingly going to your marriage chambers, taking off your clothes, and assuming the position for your new husband are generally also regarded as consent

i'm not sure why people are mad?
Dude....

camera_obscura posted:

the butthurt lives until we find a cock merchant

*tumblr rolls into port* i'm rich

camera_obscura posted:

2. in modern northamerican society, willingly going to your marriage chambers, taking off your clothes, and assuming the position for your new husband are generally also regarded as consent

because she was clearly subjectively non-consenting due to an unexpected change in the circumstances of the sexual encounter and only failed to make that non-consent explicit due to the all-but-explicit threat of violence from her sociopathic husband i hate you and myself for engaging this fucking bullshit

thirdplace posted:

camera_obscura posted:

because she was clearly subjectively non-consenting due to an unexpected change in the circumstances of the sexual encounter and only failed to make that non-consent explicit due to the all-but-explicit threat of violence from her sociopathic husband i hate you and myself for engaging this fucking bullshit

owned

gas
and i answered that like a lawyer because that's my first instinct. that's a flaw of mine. the real moral of the story is if you don't see that as a rape, intuitively, through your ability to process normal human emotional cues, then your rape detection calibration is way the fuck out of balance and you probably should consider literally friction alone for, at the very least, a while