canada is staying out of this so i don't have to do any antiwar shit.....
so are they attacking from iraq into the islamic state or what?
I wish they had ground troops in the spice rack at the supermarket

Panopticon posted:

so are they attacking from iraq into the islamic state or what?

The proposal is to send a"limited number" of Special Operations forces onto the ground in Syria.

"The changes would represent a significant escalation of the American role in Iraq and Syria. They still require formal approval from Obama, who could make a decision as soon as this week and could decide not to alter the current course, said U.S. officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the discussions are still ongoing. It’s unclear how many additional troops would be required to implement the changes being considered by the president, but the number for now is likely to be relatively small, these officials said.

The recommendations came at Obama’s request and reflect the president’s and his top advisers’ concern that the battle in Iraq and Syria is largely stalemated and in need of new ideas to generate momentum against Islamic State forces.

The list of options that went to the president was generated by field commanders and vetted by the president’s top national security advisers, including Carter and Secretary of State John F. Kerry, in a series of meetings over the past few weeks."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-weighs-moving-us-troops-closer-to-front-lines-in-syria-iraq/2015/10/26/4ae2f36c-7bec-11e5-b575-d8dcfedb4ea1_story.html

The real tragedy here, of course, is that all this may interrupt America's efforts to contain Red China.
didnt they do this already years ago

stegosaurus posted:

didnt they do this already years ago

Well if you want to be all paranoid about it....

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/breaking-us-special-ops-forces-ground-syria-aiding-kurds-1533366130

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/09/29/world/u-s-special-operations-forces-cia-cooperate-hunt-kill-extremists-iraq-syria/

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/u-s-special-ops-forces-enter-syria-kill-senior-isis-n360016

RedMaistre posted:

The proposal is to send a"limited number" of Special Operations forces onto the ground in Syria.

i would say "there's no such thing as being a little bit pregnant" but liberals have ruined that metaphor haven't they

getfiscal posted:

RedMaistre posted:

i would say "there's no such thing as being a little bit pregnant" but liberals have ruined that metaphor haven't they

"Look, one war giving birth to another
one war crawling out from between the
legs of another, out of the rubble
of one war crawls out another
look, a snake swallowing its own head."

RedMaistre posted:

The recommendations came at Obama’s request and reflect the president’s and his top advisers’ concern that the battle in Iraq and Syria is largely stalemated and in need of new ideas to generate momentum against Islamic State forces.

stalemated my ass, more like 'we need to counter the russian presence'.

RedMaistre posted:

The real tragedy here, of course, is that all this may interrupt America's efforts to contain Red China.

i dunno, this could be part of it. china's new five year plan has a whole lot of stuff looking west

yeah they had CIA on the ground since 2011 at the latest and regular military since some time in 2012 iirc, openly declaring this can only mean very bad things though

RedMaistre posted:

"new ideas"

chickeon posted:

yeah they had CIA on the ground since 2011 at the latest and regular military since some time in 2012 iirc, openly declaring this can only mean very bad things though

The Obama's administration is perhaps trying to placate the no-fly-zone/World War III NOW crowd by acting as if what it was already doing is a dramatic new step.

stalemated my ass, more like 'we need to counter the russian presence'.

But also this.
obama to officially send ground ideas to syria
I'm not sure throwing more gasoline on the Levant is the most efficient way to disrupt railway construction in Mongolia and Kazakhstan.

But then again, as they say, Syria is not Iraq.
from october 2001

Urbandale posted:

china's new five year plan

lol

getfiscal posted:

Urbandale posted:

lol

"If you wanna know what China's gonna do, best pay attention to the 十三五!"

Get Your War On... Damn.

getfiscal posted:

"So long as one remains a monk, one goes on tolling the bell."

Meanwhile...

"In face of the US harassment, Beijing should deal with Washington tactfully and prepare for the worst. This can convince the White House that China, despite its unwillingness, is not frightened to fight a war with the US in the region, and is determined to safeguard its national interests and dignity.

Beijing ought to carry out anti-harassment operations. We should first track the US warships. If they, instead of passing by, stop for further actions, it is necessary for us to launch electronic interventions, and even send out warships, lock them by fire-control radar and fly over the US vessels. "

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/949261.shtml

getfiscal posted:

Urbandale posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/MahmoudRamsey/status/658947394751582209

i hope we have a war with Russia so they intern my wife
This is to provide a cover story for any yankees who turn up dead after a RF/SAA offensive.

getfiscal posted:

Urbandale posted:

lol

LOL. HAHA. FIVE

littlegreenpills posted:

i hope we have a war with Russia so they intern my wife

why are you still married lol

i think that the military has realized the problems of the Gulf War, Afghanistan and Iraq II. yes the big oorah and patriotic run-up to a war with the gun camera footage is great TV and gives the apparatchiks in charge the big penis, but it's better for "US at War" to be on the bottom of the ticker under a news story of Bear Wanders Suburb
Anyway, the official declaration of escalation happened.

" A senior U.S. official earlier told NBC News that the special operations forces will work alongside groups with a "proven track record" of fighting ISIS.

That could include working with Kurdish and allied actors who have come together under the umbrella of the "Syrian Democratic Forces," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity before the announcement was not yet public.

Rep. Mac Thornberry, chair of the House Armed Services Committee, said the expected announcement made clear the White House was feeling the pressure of a "failed policy" against ISIS.

"I'm concerned that the administration is trying to put in place limited measures — too late — that are not going to make a difference," he told NBC News. "I don't see a strategy towards accomplishing a goal, I see an effort to run out the clock without disaster."

Obama and his administration have come under mounting pressure amid signs the anti-ISIS coalition has stalled or at least failed to turn the tide against the militants — including the recent Pentagon decision to abandon a failed program to train and equip Syrian rebels."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-deploy-special-operations-forces-syria-official-n454506

RedMaistre posted:

" A senior U.S. official earlier told NBC News that the special operations forces will work alongside groups with a "proven track record" of fighting ISIS.

That could include working with Kurdish and allied actors who have come together under the umbrella of the "Syrian Democratic Forces," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity before the announcement was not yet public.

So they're basically deploying human shields to protect anti-government rebels from Russian bombs.

RedMaistre posted:

surprise surprise

my boss was a student at a bulgarian university around the time the eastern bloc collapsed, and he mentioned the other day that the students protesting for "democracy" got fucked up by the police and weren't making much of an impact until the tide turned when they got an infusion of cash from a george soros foundation lol

ilmdge posted:

So they're basically deploying human shields to protect anti-government rebels from Russian bombs.

I was talking about this yesterday and that was the exact conclusion i came to as well. Obviously were all aware that the US gov has had "boots on the ground" in Syria since this whole thing started. But Russia's new bombing campaign of ISIS/CIA targets is upping the chance that one of Our Guys is going to wind up dead over there and we needed a preloaded excuse for why he was over there in the first place, plus Russian bombs killing a proud American terrorist-trainer will allow us to ramp up hostilities towards the Russians even more. Hell we might even shoot down a plane full of those guys! *checks news* welp

i watched the recent frontline "documentary" on life inside regime-held syria. the reporter spends a lot of his time wandering around damascus in slack-jawed amazement that it is still a metropolitan city with a thriving culture, so yes they are still listening to american pop music (well okay so maybe the culture isn't so thriving) on the radio and dancing in nightclubs. he also tries to juxtapose the fact that their political & business elites are still chilling on the beaches and building resorts while the war is rampaging.

however, the redeeming part about it is that no matter how its framed, literally every person he stops and talks to is like, "yeah the terrorists are destroying our homes and murdering our people, please stop funding them U.S. and Saudi Arabia. we support Assad" and all the reporter can do is *voiceover* "well, after conflating all their enemies into one..."
Denmark sent a radar system to Iraq/Syria to help stop ISIS, who have no airforce. They're not even trying to maintain a plausible story anymore.

They announced it just before Russia began airstrikes.

Edited by Soviet_Salami ()

Fucking Danes!