"Another swastika. Another campus. Another outrage.

On Thursday morning, students at historically black Bowie State University in Maryland found a swastika scrawled on a building named after a civil rights movement hero.

The swastika was spray-painted on a column at the Martin Luther King Jr. Communications Art Center, the university announced. The racist symbol was quickly removed, but not before photos — and anger — spread from the Maryland university to the Internet and beyond."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/13/swastika-at-bowie-state-as-threats-resignations-protests-spread-across-american-colleges/
which one of you is responsible for this /pol/ garbage

Just like those who are using these protests as an occasion to bemoan the death of "liberal education", the author here is operating under a false assumptions about the elevated purpose and emancipatory possibilities of the contemporary American university. He's crying over nothing.
seems like white supremacists tried to murder some BLM people in Minneapolis--and, craziest thing, they probably weren't cops

http://www.startribune.com/several-people-were-shot-near-black-lives-matter-protest-site/353121881/#1
apparently some 4channer types pissed some of the crowd off to start a fight so they could shoot em and claim self defence, and hey, it just might work

https://www.facebook.com/BlackLivesMatterMinneapolis/videos/1010885932288533/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-XIGJZMEI
stay safe mustang

thirdplace posted:

seems like white supremacists tried to murder some BLM people in Minneapolis--and, craziest thing, they probably weren't cops

http://www.startribune.com/several-people-were-shot-near-black-lives-matter-protest-site/353121881/#1

i actually thought it might be cops

werent they there trying to film everyones faces? sounds like a recon mission

its literally sam hyde/million dollar extreme lmao
tragedy -> farce -> farce -> tragedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js0JutcAJj0

by day.. an irony laden comedian poking fun light heartedly at cultural mores about race and gender... by night... RaHoWa 1488 brother

Urbandale posted:

http://bunkermag.org/defense-idealism-marx-screwed/

what the fukk is this website and why are there so many shitty 'leftist' magazines and blogs

Panopticon posted:

apparently some 4channer types pissed some of the crowd off to start a fight so they could shoot em and claim self defence, and hey, it just might work

https://www.facebook.com/BlackLivesMatterMinneapolis/videos/1010885932288533/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-XIGJZMEI

shoutout to /pol/ o_O

babyhueypnewton posted:

Urbandale posted:

what the fukk is this website and why are there so many shitty 'leftist' magazines and blogs

" defensive (dare we say reactionary?) " lmao

thirdplace posted:

tragedy -> farce -> farce -> tragedy

fagedy

http://gawker.com/the-mizzou-blueprint-how-to-fight-for-higher-education-1744170455
that article sums up to me pretty much exactly why the mizzou movement was in truth quite ineffective. things like this:

In isolation, perhaps this indignity might have passed with only mild grumbling. But the truth is that this is part of a decades-long disinvestment in higher education. The University of Missouri System, which encompasses the campuses in St. Louis, Kansas City, Rolla, and the statewide extension service in addition to the flagship in Columbia, saw about 57 percent of its operating revenue covered by state appropriations in fiscal year 1999. That percentage was down to around 36 percent in FY 2014. As bad as that might sound, the state of Missouri is only following a national trend: The Government Accountability Office found that overall state appropriations for higher education decreased from 32 percent in FY 2003 to 23 percent in FY 2012. For undergraduate students, that means soaring tuition: that same GAO study found that tuition as a proportion of university funding has risen by 55 percent in that same ten year period. If you are a graduate teaching assistant, it means that your median wages have barely kept up with the rate of inflation while your teaching load has exploded.

are serious issues that need to be addressed. public education is being stripped and defunded more and more by legislators looking to keep expenditures down, and the difference is being made up either with private funding which of course is either limited or sponsored, or with tuition increases, benefit cuts, etc etc.

tying that to a shit swastika and some probably not even students driving by in a pick-up truck saying n-----, and then making the goal of the protest first and foremost to force some people to resign allowed the movement, which gained critical mass, national recognition, and unprecedented support from the cash cow football team, to be squandered as it was declared a success and circumvented without any actual change as soon as some figureheads stepped aside.

this gawker article calls the movement an "unqualified success" when in fact it has in all likelihood accomplished nothing but a turnstile effect that will spin some new administrators into power and create another One Mizzou publicity program that the article (probably rightfully) earlier decried. unqualified success? hm.

i guess this is what happens when the movement leader is a liberal hunger strike kid whose dad is worth tens of millions of dollars and who probably grew up in a gated community far from ferguson, missouri. when you have a rich liberal trying to emulate a real movement in his own bourgeois backyard, it accomplishes exactly what liberals always do, even at their best: it won a token victory that will effect no real change.

we'll have to see if mizzous "success" encourages some better directed protests in the future or if in fact it just serves as a warning for other institutions on what not to let happen, so that they can proactively prevent future movements by quickly forcing out professors who step out of line and by quickly responding to racist incidents with mass emails and their own One Mizzou type publicity campaigns. which i guess isn't a terrible thing, but won't address anything in the quoted section above

Edited by ilmdge ()

babyhueypnewton posted:

Urbandale posted:

because you touch yourself at night

Universities aren't factories, farms, or mines. So expectations about what they can do politically by themselves should be adjusted accordingly, regardless of how optimistically or pessimistically you evaluate the activism that goes on there.

ilmdge posted:

are serious issues that need to be addressed. public education is being stripped and defunded more and more by legislators looking to keep expenditures down, and the difference is being made up either with private funding which of course is either limited or sponsored, or with tuition increases, benefit cuts, etc etc.

tying that to a shit swastika and some probably not even students driving by in a pick-up truck saying nigger, and then making the goal of the protest first and foremost to force some people to resign allowed the movement, which gained critical mass, national recognition, and unprecedented support from the cash cow football team, to be squandered as it was declared a success and circumvented without any actual change as soon as some figureheads stepped aside.

this gawker article calls the movement an "unqualified success" when in fact it has in all likelihood accomplished nothing but a turnstile effect that will spin some new administrators into power and create another One Mizzou publicity program that the article (probably rightfully) earlier decried. unqualified success? hm.

i guess this is what happens when the movement leader is a liberal hunger strike kid whose dad is worth tens of millions of dollars and who probably grew up in a gated community far from ferguson, missouri. when you have a rich liberal trying to emulate a real movement in his own bourgeois backyard, it accomplishes exactly what liberals always do, even at their best: it won a token victory that will effect no real change.

we'll have to see if mizzous "success" encourages some better directed protests in the future or if in fact it just serves as a warning for other institutions on what not to let happen, so that they can proactively prevent future movements by quickly forcing out professors who step out of line and by quickly responding to racist incidents with mass emails and their own One Mizzou type publicity campaigns. which i guess isn't a terrible thing, but won't address anything in the quoted section above

you werent saying anything about disinvestment of universities before, you were going on about how ftw it was that people gut upset over swastikas. all of the limitations that this has are pretty baked into any sort of student activism, all the way thru to the SDS, because they cant actually affect the economy at all

buhhh? university students didn't arm themselves and wage protracted people's war? these, uh, black people are a bunch of liberals!!
I don't think you need to be a Maoist to understand the benefits of arming yourself in this sort of situation. As far as I'm concerned its a fairly simple practical matter.

When an oppressed people show a willingness to defend themselves, the enemy, who is a moral weakling and coward, is more willing to grant concessions and work for a respectable compromise. Psychologically, moreover, racists consider themselves superior beings and are not willing to exchange their superior lives for our inferior ones. They are most vicious and violent when they can practice violence with impunity. This we have shown in Monroe. Moreover, when because of our self-defense there is a danger that the blood of whites may be spilled, the local authorities in the South suddenly enforce law and order when previously they had been complacent toward lawless, racist violence. This too we have proven in Monroe.

-Robert F. Williams in "Negroes With Guns"

ilmdge sighed as he drew his ak-47,
"Its not about creating an intellectual space. It is not. Do you understand that? Its about creating a home here."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=46&v=9IEFD_JVYd0

Or rather, its about creating both while laboring under the recognition that the university's a business...

RedMaistre posted:

Universities aren't factories, farms, or mines. So expectations about what they can do politically by themselves should be adjusted accordingly, regardless of how optimistically or pessimistically you evaluate the activism that goes on there.

exactly. im really tired of the 'football players should organize' shit, like we've suddenly found an alternate working class to stand in for the normal one that isnt as militant as we'd like for reasons we refuse to investigate. obviously they should organize but saying they have 'immense power' or whatever is really funny.

c_man posted:

ilmdge posted:

tying that to a shit swastika and some probably not even students driving by in a pick-up truck saying nigger, and then making the goal of the protest first and foremost to force some people to resign allowed the movement, which gained critical mass, national recognition, and unprecedented support from the cash cow football team, to be squandered as it was declared a success and circumvented without any actual change as soon as some figureheads stepped aside.

you werent saying anything about disinvestment of universities before, you were going on about how ftw it was that people gut upset over swastikas. all of the limitations that this has are pretty baked into any sort of student activism, all the way thru to the SDS, because they cant actually affect the economy at all

you have strawmanned me to a ridiculous degree! and as for the disinvestment of universities, i talked about that just now because the article just posted made a big deal about it, and then went on to call the protest an "unqualified success"

Edited by ilmdge ()

oh my word i'm terribly sorry to have misrepr

ilmdge posted:

it's hilarious that some 4chan retard can draw swastikas with his shit and shut a school down

thats obviously a comment on the oversized reaction to a stupid ass shit drawing, not a celebration of the shit drawing. i think "some 4chan retard" makes that pretty clear and that actually you already know that. if the issue is the racists in the truck and the swastika etc, then a strike & hunger strike to replace the university president... i really dont know??

if the health insurance being cut and public education being defunded is of importance to the protesters, i think the movement was a failure because changing the school leadership, best case, puts a kinder face on the same policies, as it's the state that sets the budget. or maybe i just think swastikas are ftw
you're still describing limitations of student activism in general, that have nothing to do with the insane entitled whiny liberal latte-drinking millennials that you've been opposing with such poise and principle

ilmdge posted:

that article sums up to me pretty much exactly why the mizzou movement was in truth quite ineffective. things like this:

In isolation, perhaps this indignity might have passed with only mild grumbling. But the truth is that this is part of a decades-long disinvestment in higher education. The University of Missouri System, which encompasses the campuses in St. Louis, Kansas City, Rolla, and the statewide extension service in addition to the flagship in Columbia, saw about 57 percent of its operating revenue covered by state appropriations in fiscal year 1999. That percentage was down to around 36 percent in FY 2014. As bad as that might sound, the state of Missouri is only following a national trend: The Government Accountability Office found that overall state appropriations for higher education decreased from 32 percent in FY 2003 to 23 percent in FY 2012. For undergraduate students, that means soaring tuition: that same GAO study found that tuition as a proportion of university funding has risen by 55 percent in that same ten year period. If you are a graduate teaching assistant, it means that your median wages have barely kept up with the rate of inflation while your teaching load has exploded.

this would make sense as an argument if it wasnt entirely false but yall fucks have been insisting this shit thing was the whole point this whole goddamn thread so i guess the grad students, pro-planned parenthood protesters and the adjuncts should all go fuck themselves.

did it ever occur to you that the reason these groups arent discussed in media because its a more fundamental critique and theyre fighting for far more essential things holding up the foundations of the two-tiered education system?

if the health insurance being cut and public education being defunded is of importance to the protesters, i think the movement was a failure because changing the school leadership, best case, puts a kinder face on the same policies, as it's the state that sets the budget.

and i guess this statement is assuming that the protests are over or something? maybe instead of assuming this you should shut your mouth and get in contact with some people there. itll prevent mao from popping out of his grave to beat you for speaking without investigating

Edited by Urbandale ()

so link me someone's policy statement or tweet or anything that says "our accomplishments so far only make us more determined to win the larger war on american racist imperialism" or a passable variant
most of the grad student organizers are attached to the black liberation collective and the malcolm x grassroots movement. the unionization efforts continue, with which is where the white left has begun to join with the organization of black struggle, and the larger anti-police struggle has been led by hands up united since ferguson
hands up united
Mxgm is fucking cool

stegosaurus posted:

Mxgm is fucking cool

Agreed. I have all the local party candidates read the Jackson Plan as an introduction to strategic thinking

I do suspect that the grad student unionization drive and other more politically conscious responses to the neoliberalization of the university are to the 'moment' sparked by MU what the left signaling Local Coordination Committees circa 2011 were to the Syrian 'Revolution.' But only time will tell for sure if my post-Occupy, post-Arab Spring cynicism will once again prove correct or not.
[account deactivated]
nothing good
[account deactivated]