Here are my purposes in making this thread.

1. To expand administrative control of the forums to a more active person or group of people, or motivate the current person or group of people to be more active.

2. To discuss strategies for recruiting new posters to tHE r H i z z o n E.

3. To put our more active administrators to work approving these new posters to make posts.

4. To figure out where old posters went, why they stopped posting, and how to bring them back; to invite good or even somewhat decent posters from other forums to post here; to make way for ex-posters to return anonymously.

5. To put these posters to some kind of organized purpose.

A good start would be to figure out the time required to adequately maintain and moderate the forums and approve new members, and how to compensate for this time.

On the other side, those of you with accounts on other forums could message good posters who like to talk about communism.

I think we are all now mature enough and have the resources to put some effort into this. I think that if we try to just exist as we are, the forum will either vanish one day, or grind down to nothing as more of us are pronounced politically inconvenient or die.

If everyone prefers to just let things be, that's okay with me too, but I thought I would make the thread in case there is some shared momentum happening at the moment. Keep eating your vegetables and praising god. (I'm atheist, myself, but you should probably cling to god in these trying times.)
i'll make the website
Are there really no do-overs in life krinky? Zero? Let's do it all again, let's all become five years younger and do it the right way this time!
as i've said before, if there's technical work to be done on the forums to improve the adminstrative/approval/whatever tools and process, i will do it, along with any other technical work. joey and i talked briefly a long time ago about me trying to fix some stuff up but i forgot and he forgot and no one minds the bugs anymore. (bad gateway and i are friends now)

anyway yeah i have no problem doing that and committing to it. and i'll pay for a private github. having it public resulted in shitheads reading it and trying to exploit security holes, apparently.

this doesn't solve the issue of actual administrators doing the administration, of course. i would do some of that too but i know there are many more respected and better choices.
on point 2, i think norman finklestein would make a great poster here at the r-zone if we reached out to him: hes been unemployed for the past 10 years, has once had a passing interest in maosim, and he wants to destroy the state of israel (in the classical sense).
we should try to recruit even more agents of the state so that they eventually come to hold our beliefs and then start to quietly network among themselves and then launch some sort of coup, like how the klan did.
I'm not yet sufficiently knowledgeable to vet posters, but I lurk daily and am happy to take care of things like blocking spam accounts if that's something that would need done.

Eitherway; quietly hanging out here over the last few years has changed my life (shitposting not withstanding). I certainly feel some momentum.

The first order of business for 2. should be

OPEN REGISTRATION

Bowie died. None of this shit matters anymore. its over
[account deactivated]
I'm in favor of this. I've got a nasty political situation IRL to deal with right now so I don't know if I'll have the time and energy to contribute much in the immediate future, but this will be on my mind.

Superabound posted:

Bowie died. None of this shit matters anymore. its over

hm yes, let me just mourn for the man who never once in his life used his considerable public platform to advocate for the correctness of marxism-leninism or the necessity of overthrowing capitalism now.

Dogs fucked the Pope, no fault of mine! - David Bowie

swampman posted:

Here are my purposes in making this thread.

1. To expand administrative control of the forums to a more active person or group of people, or motivate the current person or group of people to be more active.

2. To discuss strategies for recruiting new posters to tHE r H i z z o n E.

3. To put our more active administrators to work approving these new posters to make posts.

4. To figure out where old posters went, why they stopped posting, and how to bring them back; to invite good or even somewhat decent posters from other forums to post here; to make way for ex-posters to return anonymously.

5. To put these posters to some kind of organized purpose.

A good start would be to figure out the time required to adequately maintain and moderate the forums and approve new members, and how to compensate for this time.

On the other side, those of you with accounts on other forums could message good posters who like to talk about communism.

I think we are all now mature enough and have the resources to put some effort into this. I think that if we try to just exist as we are, the forum will either vanish one day, or grind down to nothing as more of us are pronounced politically inconvenient or die.

If everyone prefers to just let things be, that's okay with me too, but I thought I would make the thread in case there is some shared momentum happening at the moment. Keep eating your vegetables and praising god. (I'm atheist, myself, but you should probably cling to god in these trying times.)

sounds good, lets do it

drwhat posted:

as i've said before, if there's technical work to be done on the forums to improve the adminstrative/approval/whatever tools and process, i will do it, along with any other technical work. joey and i talked briefly a long time ago about me trying to fix some stuff up but i forgot and he forgot and no one minds the bugs anymore. (bad gateway and i are friends now)

anyway yeah i have no problem doing that and committing to it. and i'll pay for a private github. having it public resulted in shitheads reading it and trying to exploit security holes, apparently.

this doesn't solve the issue of actual administrators doing the administration, of course. i would do some of that too but i know there are many more respected and better choices.

paginate the reputation pages, and then let me embed tweets

shriekingviolet posted:

I'm in favor of this. I've got a nasty political situation IRL to deal with right now so I don't know if I'll have the time and energy to contribute much in the immediate future, but this will be on my mind.

Mom and Dad kicking you out of the house?

Gibbonstrength posted:

OPEN REGISTRATION

on one hand, mustang has posted nonstop using alts since he was banned. on the other hand, mustang has posted nonstop using alts since he was banned.

rip both mustang and david bowie. rip indeedy.

Flappo posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

Mom and Dad kicking you out of the house?

Flappo'd agfain!

open registration, make me responsible for the wrangling of the stangling
Can anyone please (re)recruit the following posters
RedMaistre
futurewidow
blinkandwheeze
Mugabe Glasses
roseweird
pogfan1996
sosie

Active moderation, open registration, and tolerance of bad posters are all one issue. If Gssh is really available to stop spam and deliver non-judgmental 6-hour "probation" periods for the purpose of cooling tempers and allowing comrades to meditate carefully on their words, opening registration is probably safe. If we want to split the task up we should find out who typically is awake when Gssh is asleep.

getfiscal posted:

we should try to recruit even more agents of the state so that they eventually come to hold our beliefs and then start to quietly network among themselves and then launch some sort of coup, like how the klan did.

I think this will happen organically if we just focus on delivering really good content tothe front page

this means i have to write something... you'll all be sorry.......
Let me publish things on the front page, and free people from ifap. This is all I ask. thaank you.
ifapping people all the time would be cool if there was a good jailer to free them latrer if they arent mustang and if they do their penance. but right now to be ifapped is to be banned basically

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

Why'd saddam do that for
good stuff OP. my initial thoughts:

• i've half-joked about my inactivity as mod, i don't feel great about how slack i've been, but really i would be happy to remain part of the mod team as long as it actually becomes a team. one person, no matter how motivated/unemployed, can't be here all the time
  • i would honestly be more motivated as a mod if my hands weren't tied. i don't have admin powers, which is okay, but i also have no mod powers outside LF. i don't think the ifap warden should be a separate role. at the very least, a mod from each subforum should also wield that power
  • these and other issues would be best remedied by starting with a new codebase. i have a private github account and reasonable skills to offer depending on the framework (my python is better than my php etc)

i actually wrote up the outline of a new effortpost about the state of online political action last night, in light of this thread i will endeavour to actually write the thing and post it in a timely fashion because it will have some relevance to strategy (my thoughts thereon anyway)
So who is the current administrator who can grant you and gssh these new privilege?
let ilmdge have the publish thing
when you find out

Petrol posted:

these and other issues would be best remedied by starting with a new codebase. i have a private github account and reasonable skills to offer depending on the framework (my python is better than my php etc)

i really enjoy writing things from scratch, but i don't think it's necessary here. we have a base to work from that we know fulfills the basic functions of posting and reading posts, and no one is really chomping at the bit to throw it all in the trash. we have a few things we want to fix.

it's currently in python. assuming Joey replies to my PM and everything, I'll set up a private github organizational account and we can work on it there.

you can add me to the github org if you want. i too had a longish text file with scattered thoughts on the future of the rhizzone rofl.

one idea i had was paying people to mod or write articles out of a common pool of money from donations. it would cost like a dollar a month to post or something. and then that would pay for things to occur. thats probably an insane solution though.

maybe we could set it up as 'dues' like you gotta put in your five bucks a month or you cant post but as soon as you do you can post again. we could do it via paypal or something? i dont know
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

stegosaurus posted:

you can add me to the github org if you want. i too had a longish text file with scattered thoughts on the future of the rhizzone rofl.

one idea i had was paying people to mod or write articles out of a common pool of money from donations. it would cost like a dollar a month to post or something. and then that would pay for things to occur. thats probably an insane solution though.

maybe we could set it up as 'dues' like you gotta put in your five bucks a month or you cant post but as soon as you do you can post again. we could do it via paypal or something? i dont know

I nominate getfiscal to be our first Posting Fellow.

(that's actually a joke he did before)

I don't think you'd have to pay anyone to mod. people will do that for free

swampman posted:

So who is the current administrator who can grant you and gssh these new privilege?

yeah, about that...

i would prefer something like an invite-based system to pure open registration. i don't think the mustang issue should be underestimated, and under open registration he would probably be the least of the issues.

tpaine posted:

hey guys i have an idea to fix the rhizzone. ever hear of publisher's clearing house? because yeah.

it's the house where dreams come true as i understand the ballads so i don't know why it's earning all this scorn from you all of a sudden.