And thus has no need for climate scientists so they just fired their entire climate research government agency lmfao

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/australia-cuts-110-climate-scientist-jobs/
whats australia

aerdil posted:

whats australia

a miserable little pile of secrets.

That's a pretty high level own, in my opinion.
uninhabitable wasteland challenges the sun
[account deactivated]
i can't believe IWC managed to get elected to parliament
They also pretty much defunded the CSIRO which is a publicly funded scientific research department. So Australia now has the following industries:

1. Mining. China stopped buying our ore so this industry is now dead also.
2. Building houses. Australia is in the middle of an insane housing bubble, such that no housing is available on the entire continent under the price of one million dollars. This is close to bursting after which time this industry will also die.
3. Expropriating aborigines. Sadly, our settler forebears have already claimed so much land from the locals that we've had to start giving some back, so that we don't look as bad as Hitler.
4. Education. Lots of Chinese new money people come to get educations here, and we brutally gouge them in return. This industry can be expected to bear fruit for the rest of eternity, and is hence our only stable source of income.
dont forget prostitution

Gibbonstrength posted:

They also pretty much defunded the CSIRO which is a publicly funded scientific research department. So Australia now has the following industries:

2. Building houses. Australia is in the middle of an insane housing bubble, such that no housing is available on the entire continent under the price of one million dollars. This is close to bursting after which time this industry will also die.
3. Expropriating aborigines. Sadly, our settler forebears have already claimed so much land from the locals that we've had to start giving some back, so that we don't look as bad as Hitler.
4. Education. Lots of Chinese new money people come to get educations here, and we brutally gouge them in return. This industry can be expected to bear fruit for the rest of eternity, and is hence our only stable source of income.

I know this is supposed to be funny but the reality is so much worse that I have to wonder if you are paying too much attention to seppoland mate

1. Mining - sure it's not as profitable as it was a few years ago but mining is alive and well, especially when it comes to coal, which is weird because the arse has really fallen out of that market. Notably, new coal mining projects by Gina "Billionaire Who Threatens To Leave The Country If Forced To Pay Any Tax And By The Way If You Peasants Want To Get Anywhere You'll Need To Start Working For $2 A Day Like They Do In Africa" Rinehart, and Guatam "Best Mate Of Mega Corrupt Muslim Slaughterer Narendra Modi" Adani, who probably doesn't need to worry about the profitability of coal since he has a $1B loan guarantee from India and commitments from Straya to pay for the infrastructure needed to transport the coal 400km by rail to the ports where it will be shipped to Adani's own power plants in India, which were built on land for which he paid 1c per square metre after it was stolen from local villagers (by Modi of course haha). So mining is looking fine thanks

2. Building houses - you are right about the bubble but short of actual revolution the real estate and construction industry will never die since it is basically synonymous with the organised crime that runs this country and owns the politicians

3. Expropriating aborigines - did you miss the part where the federal government withdrew all funding from remote aboriginal communities and the states are going to shut them down because lol. Don't even get me started on the general topic of the first nations mate, suffice to say if you think we're done stealing land (especially for mining) then lol

4. Education - having worked in higher education I can confirm even the most prestigious unis are suckling at the teat of the Chinese middle classes and handing out basically worthless degrees, yes, but on the bright side we are poised to also start gouging domestic students equally within the next 5 years. Hooray

Just to reiterate because I've only mentioned it in passing, the main industry you forgot about is Crime. Drug's and money laundering etc, mate, its a great place to be if you're part of this more pure strain of capitalism. Oh and the daddy of them all, which is Acting As a Gigantic US Military Base

tl;dr STraya. kill me

Wow Australia sounds fucked up, which is the opposite of the opinion I had before.

Petrol posted:

Just to reiterate because I've only mentioned it in passing, the main industry you forgot about is Crime. Drug's and money laundering etc, mate, its a great place to be if you're part of this more pure strain of capitalism.

do you have any good readings about this handy?

c_man posted:

Petrol posted:

Just to reiterate because I've only mentioned it in passing, the main industry you forgot about is Crime. Drug's and money laundering etc, mate, its a great place to be if you're part of this more pure strain of capitalism.

do you have any good readings about this handy?

Nothing comprehensive/up to date. Most of what I've read in book form is historical (1950s-80s) and often just chapters in books that cover other things, also generally very journalistic style.

Last year though there was a good 2 part 4 Corners expose that covered the 'Ndrangheta in australia through to the present day and touched on the political connections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLLuibWJS8M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQoSYOukB40

The 'ndrangheta (Calabrian mafia) is the main force in organised crime here, there is of course some asian crime syndicate activity (mostly in sydney) and lebanese (sydney/melbourne), in the past decade or so the albanians have apparently established themselves a lot more which isnt surprising, cheers Nato. The bikie gangs get most of the attention but anyone with half a brain knows they play second fiddle to the calabrians et al

Petrol posted:

Gibbonstrength posted:

I know this is supposed to be funny but the reality is so much worse that I have to wonder if you are paying too much attention to seppoland mate

1. Mining - sure it's not as profitable as it was a few years ago but mining is alive and well, especially when it comes to coal, which is weird because the arse has really fallen out of that market. Notably, new coal mining projects by Gina "Billionaire Who Threatens To Leave The Country If Forced To Pay Any Tax And By The Way If You Peasants Want To Get Anywhere You'll Need To Start Working For $2 A Day Like They Do In Africa" Rinehart, and Guatam "Best Mate Of Mega Corrupt Muslim Slaughterer Narendra Modi" Adani, who probably doesn't need to worry about the profitability of coal since he has a $1B loan guarantee from India and commitments from Straya to pay for the infrastructure needed to transport the coal 400km by rail to the ports where it will be shipped to Adani's own power plants in India, which were built on land for which he paid 1c per square metre after it was stolen from local villagers (by Modi of course haha). So mining is looking fine thanks

2. Building houses - you are right about the bubble but short of actual revolution the real estate and construction industry will never die since it is basically synonymous with the organised crime that runs this country and owns the politicians

3. Expropriating aborigines - did you miss the part where the federal government withdrew all funding from remote aboriginal communities and the states are going to shut them down because lol. Don't even get me started on the general topic of the first nations mate, suffice to say if you think we're done stealing land (especially for mining) then lol

4. Education - having worked in higher education I can confirm even the most prestigious unis are suckling at the teat of the Chinese middle classes and handing out basically worthless degrees, yes, but on the bright side we are poised to also start gouging domestic students equally within the next 5 years. Hooray

Just to reiterate because I've only mentioned it in passing, the main industry you forgot about is Crime. Drug's and money laundering etc, mate, its a great place to be if you're part of this more pure strain of capitalism. Oh and the daddy of them all, which is Acting As a Gigantic US Military Base

tl;dr STraya. kill me

you're right, my post was supposed to be funny rather than strictly factual, rendering the rest of your post unnecessary but appreciated

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

dont forget prostitution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NKDJOY-DUw

Gibbonstrength posted:

you're right, my post was supposed to be funny rather than strictly factual, rendering the rest of your post unnecessary but appreciated

your welcome. to paraphrase stewart lee: i read a Petrol post the other day. oh was it funny? no, but i agreed the fuck out of it

Petrol posted:

'ndrangheta

you know these guys are the real deal because no one laughs them out of organized crime club for sounding like the name of an orc keep in forgotten realms