It doesn't mean anything as confirmed by Professor Noam Chomsky.

animedad posted:

that's a good line but in 5 years no one in LF has clarified what "dialectical materialism" even means so rosa kitchen stein Was Right

http://moufawad-paul.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-dialectical-materialism.html

just so we're clear "There is no other means of knowledge than the scientific method" is an invalid, laughable and indefensible epistemological statement that no respectable scientist Or philosopher would ever repeat but nice try goat
Sure, I know there are also allegedly Pure Reason (guessing) and Divine Revelation (guessing while having a seizure)

animedad posted:

gyrofry posted:

neither God nor "scientific method" but dialectical materialism

that's a good line but in 5 years no one in LF has clarified what "dialectical materialism" even means so rosa kitchen stein Was Right

I know what it is but I'm not going to tell you.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i dont care how many skilled laborers you have if you start with the presupposition "build a global communications network by literally fuckin like trying to gain the favor of Ra or whatever" you are at best going to have, comparatively, a hugely inefficient process

i dont care how many nerds doing math you have if you start with the presupposition that the scientific method is the only viable system of observation you're probably going to get fired, and replaced by a smarter, faster, less autistic research team that figures things out faster, and can actually explain these insanely difficult concepts to the engineers, which you need to build this crap.

wont someone think of the engineers
"thats undialectical" is an obnoxious tankie putdown, made worse by noone knowing what it means
or maybe it makes it better idk
actually dialectical materialism is the shit and if you disagree I will mark you down for the future purge

tsinava posted:

i dont care how many skilled laborers you have if you start with the presupposition "build a global communications network by literally fuckin like trying to gain the favor of Ra or whatever" you are at best going to have, comparatively, a hugely inefficient process

i dont care how many nerds doing math you have if you start with the presupposition that the scientific method is the only viable system of observation you're probably going to get fired, and replaced by a smarter, faster, less autistic research team that figures things out faster, and can actually explain these insanely difficult concepts to the engineers, which you need to build this crap.

Check out this "less autistic" research team. They're building a satellite network using other methods than the scientific method. LOok! The one with blue hair is invoking geomancy. Swelling music appears as idiots using nonsense beat objective reality. Are they wizards? A True Underdog Story.

tears posted:

"thats undialectical" is an obnoxious tankie putdown, made worse by noone knowing what it means

it's performative, a circle jerk. people already know what side their bread is buttered on and few cross the metaphorical picket line and that's that. they're doing it for social cookies or some such, I don't give a fuck, exercise to reader

Check out this "less autistic" research team. They're building a satellite network using other methods than the scientific method. LOok! The one with blue hair is invoking geomancy. Swelling music appears as idiots using nonsense beat objective reality. Are they wizards? A True Underdog Story.

I'm talking about a scientific research team, not your job.

the idealized story you hear in middle school about "the scientific method" does not capture very well the way actual scientists do their work, make progress, and figure things out goat
also why dont you go yell at the doctors at ATOS who are denying people's disability claims to be more scientific about their work
this whole thread is undialectical, idealist and metaphysical only j/k i have no idea what any of those words mean

littlegreenpills posted:

the idealized story you hear in middle school about "the scientific method" does not capture very well the way actual scientists do their work, make progress, and figure things out goat

and guessing without actually checking has an even lesser success rate in the real world than it does in idealization, which is a pretty impressive achievement

gas

tears posted:

tankie

i'm not going to gas a thread with a good OP because the discussion is lame.

tpaine posted:

sorry i'm kind of remembering how lf was, if everyone here would like to go ahead and admit that it takes mental retardation level stupidity to believe in god and that such a a belief forever fucks up the possibility of living in a just society i'd be happy to shut up

i think people could in theory believe in a force completely outside of consensus reality which can't affect or interact with our universe in any way, it's completely useless and stupid, but if they were consistent about the fact that it has no possible interaction with our reality then it's as relevant to decision-making and society as if we believe the universe is floating in strawberry-flavoured quantum foam.

unfortunately there are all those billions of people who believe that the mystical cosmic extrauniversal force actually could have an impact on their lives or something, and that's the problem.

otoh tpaine if you're totally misanthropic shouldn't you just accept that religion is a really convenient social engineering method for the widespread acceptance of hegemony and state control and just be cool with it

the nonexistence of god is one of those things that everyone should know but that it's rude to talk about, like the fact that every human being on earth sometimes takes really gross, nasty shits... like, just rank
ITT a bunch of ppl who never read the koran

cars posted:

i'm not going to gas a thread with a good OP because the discussion is lame.

thirdplace posted:

the nonexistence of god is one of those things that everyone should know but that it's rude to talk about, like the fact that every human being on earth sometimes takes really gross, nasty shits... like, just rank

i call those shits hooburritos

i like to imagine historical superpersonalities taking huge dumps and staring at the wall or whatever. david bowie sitting in a little english bathroom having a megadump. hitler staring at the bathroom floor wondering what he ate to deserve this. everybody poops.

thirdplace posted:

really gross, nasty shits... like, just rank

Don't sign ur posts

"less autistic" happens to be a phrase that my therapists have never uttered to me or about me to others

Petrol posted:

tears posted:

tankie

sorry u didnt get the joke

or maybe u did, too many layers of irony

i am too fragile to see that word in this place after dealing with so many liberal/ultra dickheads lately in hip facebook groups i keep getting added to even though i am too old to appreciate how 'same' it is when someone posts a meme about an agoraphobic hedgehog
confession time: i think i understand what those words mean but the 2nd half of that sentence will not parse, i think its the 'same' bit

also hope your ptsd gets better

tears posted:

confession time: i think i understand what those words mean but the 2nd half of that sentence will not parse, i think its the 'same' bit

also hope your ptsd gets better

same. and thank you.

Petrol posted:

i am too fragile to see that word in this place after dealing with so many liberal/ultra dickheads lately in hip facebook groups i keep getting added to even though i am too old to appreciate how 'same' it is when someone posts a meme about an agoraphobic hedgehog

very same and very heck

[account deactivated]
Kill it w fire
I like her because she’s a person who engenders mercenary coups like I’ve never observed elsewhere from people who work with her. I will never forget Jon Favreau’s essay in which he writes about how different she is “than the caricature had helped perpetuate” and describes her as “uncommonly boiling with wicked plots. She poisons with birthday cakes. She makes a call, a grandparent "passes away." She once rearranged her entire campaign schedule so a staffer could incend her daughter’s preschool graduation. Her husband lies by talking to you; Hillary does it by disappearing you.”
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]