Have you guys ever thought that Sam Kriss is just buried under more layers of irony than even this forum could possibly fathom and is the one true revolutionary when interpreted with the appropriate level of cynicism?
on the contrary, this forum is literally the only group of people capable of scouting sam "deadken" kriss's true irony levels
Is the idea that Sam Kriss sucks because he is one of those "heat vampire leftists" or whatever?
example: the day after i post about Young Einstein's medium essay about Donald Trump's secret real agenda sam kriss does the same basic research & draws the same conclusions in a politico piece but adds some tasseography about the silicon valley mentality as required by the venue. this is an example of great minds thinking alike, nothing like him tweeting my badiou vaporwave graphic without attribution or lifting my back to the future libya jokes for his blog, but as a collective we are glad to share the products of our labor with our comrades so they may be applied as needed. i'm not even mad.

wahoopride posted:

Is the idea that Sam Kriss sucks because he is one of those "heat vampire leftists" or whatever?

sam kriss "sucks" in the sense of current youth slang use of the term, meaning he's actually very cool and "hyphy".

Sam has committed the following crimes
1. Mostly writes articles about what he's paid to write articles about, as well as things likely to get him future work, instead of correct Marxist topics like reviewing 500 year old books about grain.
2. Now that people are paying him to go places he's doing a lot of stuff that's like if hunter s was on talking like a dick instead of drugs
3. Is more popular than people who he was once less popular than, the ultimate unforgivable sin.
We rib him about his holocaust denial but honestly that's fine & some other posters here (don't want to name names) agree with Sam Kriss that Holocaust Was Faked
i agree with getfiscal that sam is good because he does write about correct Marxist topics although it's also good that he gets paid for it as that is a "virtue signal".
It strikes me that if you are being paid to write an something for politico then that something must be liberal and therefore not marxist.

But I don't know of many places you can wax marxist and still get paid.

And that is the ultimate goal of this whole ponzi scheme, right? Make as much money pushing marxism as possible.
he's a slightly above average poster with a greater instinct for self-promotion

also way too in love with horseshit bourgeois continental philosophy to be a proper marxist

but his writing isn't nearly as bad as mccaine's

peepaw posted:

but his writing isn't nearly as bad as mccaine's

damned with faint praise

Those medium posts have their problems but the reply is very stupid. The problem with liberals is they think the administration has plans behind its actions...hm, yes, very wise... Let us retire to the parlor

Edited by Backus ()

hes bad
sam kriss politico
[account deactivated]
Kriss doesn't want people to read strategy into the Trump administration essentially because doing so is allegedly demoralizing, not because he can really show that such interpretations are wrong.
Yarvin's response correctly emphasized that the techniques he was imputing to Trump doesn't require believing the president has superhuman levels of intelligence:

"....These aren’t the advanced techniques of hyper-chess masters; they’re familiar to every schoolyard bully and gaslighting domestic abuser. They’re also techniques which Trump is famous for in his business dealings; he’s particularly got a reputation for refusing to pay vendors and contractors and seeing if they manage to sue him.

All of which is to say: You don’t need to be brilliant to be a danger to democracy; quite literally, an idiot could do it."
https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/when-villains-arent-super-f5646d81db6#.jqc55b402

Edited by RedMaistre ()

yonatan zunger is a dumb shit liberal who thinks russia bribed donald trump to become(?) president with oil company stock
he's the rock bottom of clinton-ite russophobes and so far the things he writes should come with a SG warning saying they cause brain damage

cars posted:

yonatan zunger is a dumb shit liberal who thinks russia bribed donald trump to become(?) president with oil company stock

Don't disagree with you about the russophobia, but Kriss doesn't attack Zunger on the level of facts, he does so by questioning whether political analysis itself is possible and desirable.

as far as I can tell he's saying liberals are employing the same cargo cult stand-in for analysis that they do against Pyongyang and Moscow, but this time on Trump's government, with the same deluded results, and as far as I can tell he's right.
Podhoretz approvingly boosting the article suggests that Podhoretz didn't even read the article, or that he's willing to push an article that bashes decades of his own Kremlinological writing implicitly in the hopes that his audience is too stupid to remember or grasp that, or that he is not in charge of his own Twitter feed, all of which seem likely to me
Note how he criticizes Kremlinology though:

"In the end, Kremlinology said a lot more about the people practicing it than it ever did about the Soviet Union. Like all fantasies, it expressed a desire. A universe that could make sense, if only you were smart enough to understand it.."

The problem, evidently, is not that Kremlinologists didn't have all the facts or looked at he world through ideological myopias, but that they thought the world has patterns that are accessible to human reason.

Edited by RedMaistre ()

I really like the anti-imperialist reversal you are seeing in the piece though. I just wish it was made on a sounder basis.

However, I also believe in the profound importance of systems, because they are the main thing which maintain human welfare on a day-to-day basis. The fact that we can go to the store, buy food, and eat it is not only the product of infrastructural systems (farming, transport logistics, finance, banking) but of social and legal systems: for example, the system of inspection and monitoring which largely prevents people from selling tainted food. There are plenty of countries which lack this kind of inspection system, and what they get is a lot of people dying from food-borne illnesses.

The rule of law is what lets us buy food and expect it not to be rotten, or buy a bed and expect it not to fall apart and kill us, or order from a distant vendor and expect to actually receive something: the laws, the social norms that people follow them, the social (and legal, and physical) cost imposed on those who violate them, allow society to actually function on a day-to-day basis. Without these systems, both formal and informal, our lives really would be a continuous battle of all against all.

This is the entirety of his actual objection to Sam's take.

[account deactivated]

groundservices posted:

If you think about it can you really know or think about anything?

yes

littlegreenpills posted:

However, I also believe in the profound importance of systems, because they are the main thing which maintain human welfare on a day-to-day basis. The fact that we can go to the store, buy food, and eat it is not only the product of infrastructural systems (farming, transport logistics, finance, banking) but of social and legal systems: for example, the system of inspection and monitoring which largely prevents people from selling tainted food. There are plenty of countries which lack this kind of inspection system, and what they get is a lot of people dying from food-borne illnesses.

The rule of law is what lets us buy food and expect it not to be rotten, or buy a bed and expect it not to fall apart and kill us, or order from a distant vendor and expect to actually receive something: the laws, the social norms that people follow them, the social (and legal, and physical) cost imposed on those who violate them, allow society to actually function on a day-to-day basis. Without these systems, both formal and informal, our lives really would be a continuous battle of all against all.

This is the entirety of his actual objection to Sam's take.

i think about this at least once a week

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

The most d&d post

Also, if people are losing faith in the system, not because the system has a problem, but because they aren't getting the results they want, that isn't a problem with the system.

panopticon come back to tell us more about the transcendent immanence of rule of law
[account deactivated]
Lure of Rawls
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/planet-earth-ii-and-the-fantastic-urban-fox/515958/ i liked this
Maybe Kriss had to insinuate that ISIS was not funded by the US & UK to survive the Atlantic's vetting process for native ad writers
i'll comment on that theory as soon as my 420 proxy-cycling timed-reload Tor tabs use CIA dollars to boost Sam's monkey essay over David Frum explaining how all liberals should invite cops to every demonstration

thirdplace posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/planet-earth-ii-and-the-fantastic-urban-fox/515958/i liked this

Like every other one of his pieces this starts out with an interesting idea and then goes off the rails. This almost reads like he wrote the first half the the article and then inputted random notes he discarded earlier for being off topic to fill the word count. The first half before the fake biology is quite good though, I think there would be something really important in taking the marxist critique of urban space and de-anthropomorphizing it and possibly even finding room for non-human consciousness in the embedded ideology of the city. I do think for example cat videos are so popular because cats are unconcerned with capitalism and so their simultaneous alien consciousness and mimicry of human emotions is the only way we can approach ideology as a whole: through irony. When you see a cat dressed up in a suit but not understanding what a suit is, capitalist ideology becomes visible for a moment in our clothes, even if it can only be approached from the unknowable and projected innocence of cat concerns. One can easily apply this to cockroaches (who are metaphorically used as nature's indifference to nuclear war and man's concern with his own place in evolution) or zoo animals who are incorporated into liberal politics and resist them.

i would let a cockroach in a little hat date my daughter. i'm not a proud man.

babyhueypnewton posted:

I do think for example cat videos are so popular because cats are unconcerned with capitalism and so their simultaneous alien consciousness and mimicry of human emotions is the only way we can approach ideology as a whole: through irony. When you see a cat dressed up in a suit but not understanding what a suit is, capitalist ideology becomes visible for a moment in our clothes, even if it can only be approached from the unknowable and projected innocence of cat concerns.

cars posted:

i would let a cockroach in a little hat date my daughter. i'm not a proud man.

i would, but my wife wouldn't (she hates the chinese lol)