[account deactivated]
gj & thanks to whoever did my chapter
stego are you ever going to link the citations i spent hours compiling

cars posted:

gj & thanks to whoever did my chapter

same

karphead posted:

stego are you ever going to link the citations i spent hours compiling

yeah i have to take a pause for a few weeks though.

eh? all you need to do is dl the files and use ctrl-h to replace my ip address with yours. until then you've made me do useless labor.
yeah i will do it at some time soon. i had peoples html ready to upload sitting in my inbox for weeks as well.
alright. at some point i'd like to mirror readsettlers.org on my own site, so whatever you can do to make that as easy as possible it would be appreciated. payce.
stego wil lupload the footnotes as soon as he finishes corn: the game of political economy

thirdplace posted:

two it moves the spotlight away from the very explicit and well-documented genocide of the period between the end of the indian wars and the new deal (& also lingering in a less explicit but still very real form at least until ICWA's passage in 1978). that genocide wasn't the kind where everyone gets murdered, but it was a systematic and couldn't-be-more-overt effort to extinguish native cultures, and its echoes can be seen every day (not fifteen miles from where I sit now there was a community of native religious refugees from ~1900-25, who fled a reservation system that actively suppressed non-christian religions; i've met more adults raised in white foster homes than I can count, and that's without even getting into the boarding schools).

any good recs for reading on this?

ilmdge posted:

stego wil lupload the footnotes as soon as he finishes corn: the game of political economy

do not mention that name in my presence

what a horrible mistake i made in revealing that i was working on a videogame.
[account deactivated]
everybody's fighting their own demons

HenryKrinkle posted:

thirdplace posted:

two it moves the spotlight away from the very explicit and well-documented genocide of the period between the end of the indian wars and the new deal (& also lingering in a less explicit but still very real form at least until ICWA's passage in 1978). that genocide wasn't the kind where everyone gets murdered, but it was a systematic and couldn't-be-more-overt effort to extinguish native cultures, and its echoes can be seen every day (not fifteen miles from where I sit now there was a community of native religious refugees from ~1900-25, who fled a reservation system that actively suppressed non-christian religions; i've met more adults raised in white foster homes than I can count, and that's without even getting into the boarding schools).

any good recs for reading on this?

here's a talk about the community I mentioned, which also goes into a fair amount of the overall background. his book was cool but probably too short to be worth trying to find, because I doubt you can find it. here's the Code of Indian offenses which explicitly prohibited native religion. here's a good overview of the pre-ICWA child removal stuff (just now rec'd to me by probably the most prominent ICWA scholar in the world via the magic of twitter). nothing leaps to mind on the boarding school era but there's tons out there. here's a good overview of allotment, which i think people here should be particularly interested in here since it's the most straightforward example of primitive accumulation this side of the enclosure acts

edit: also, while I'm revisiting that post, lemme make a correction. I interpreted "Dick Wilsons and Peter MacDonalds" as a generic reference to indians who were too white for their political opponents, but those were real people who appear to have actually been corrupt as fuck. I stand by everything else I said there (including how fucked up both the origins of and the practice of intratribal racial politics are) but that was ignorant of me

Edited by thirdplace ()

https://www.amazon.com/Settlers-Mythology-Proletariat-Mayflower-Modern-ebook/dp/B00N980EQK

i notice the kindle edition of settlers is free
Free for the next 4 days
the market works.
http://readsettlers.org/library.html

http://readsettlers.org/ch14.html chapter 14 has got the citation treatment. now you can click on any note to be instantly transported to its actual source in a newspaper, academic article, book or piece of left ephemera.

i also added a nav bar to the top of the big pages. so people can easily find the extras and library pages. nobody was seeing the extras page apparently.
holy shit!
ill do chapter 13 next week probably? i have a little bit more time now even though were still on 6x10s lol.
i think every time we complete a scan or publishing project on this site it should be frontpaged. now that theres this thing, caliban, giap, and politzer being retyped and re formatted. that seems to be the niche we're occupying currently which is cool. and more useful than trollish shit about trump or whatver
[account deactivated]
Sure I can put this on front page steggy, do you want to edit the OP with a brief introductory text & link or should I?
We don't have to do it for this one since it's already out there a bunch. But for new stuff were doing.
amazing that we're making all this progress all thanks to the secret pdf subforum
Settlers the Mythology of the White Proletariat FREE DOWNLOAD
Until midnight on November 22nd (less than 36 hours from now), you can download Settlers: The Mythology of the White Proletariat from Mayflower to Modern by J. Sakai, for free:

https://www.amazon.com/Settlers-Mythology-Proletariat-Mayflower-Modern-ebook/dp/B00N980EQK

Kersplebedeb is offering this book for free download, as it seems particularly timely in the present political context.

Settlers is a uniquely important book in the canon of the North American revolutionary left and anticolonial movements. First published in the 1980s by activists with decades of experience organizing in grassroots anticapitalist struggles against white supremacy, the book soon established itself as an essential reference point for revolutionary nationalists and dissident currents within the predominantly colonialist Marxist-Leninist and anarchist movements at that time.

Always controversial within the establishment Left Settlers uncovers centuries of collaboration between capitalism and white workers and their organizations, as well as their neocolonial allies, showing how the United States was designed from the ground up as a parasitic and genocidal entity. Settlers exposes the fact that America’s white citizenry have never supported themselves but have always resorted to exploitation and theft, culminating in acts of genocide to maintain their culture and way of life. As recounted in painful detail by Sakai, the United States has been built on the theft of Indigenous lands and of Afrikan labor, on the robbery of the northern third of Mexico, the colonization of Puerto Rico, and the expropriation of the Asian working class, with each of these crimes being accompanied by violence.

This new edition includes “Cash & Genocide: The True Story of Japanese-American Reparations” and an interview with author J. Sakai by Ernesto Aguilar.

What People Are Saying
“Settlers is a critical analysis of the colonization of the Americas that overturns the 'official' narrative of poor and dispossessed European settlers to reveal the true nature of genocidal invasion and land theft that has occurred for over five hundred years. If you want to understand the present, you must know the past, and this book is a vital contribution to that effort.”
—Gord Hill, author of 500 Years of Indigenous Resistance

“Great works measure up, inspire higher standards of intellectual and moral honesty, and, when appreciated for what they are, serve as a guide for those among us who intend a transformation of reality. Settlers should serve as a reminder (to anyone who needs one) of the genocidal tendencies of the empire, the traitorous interplay between settler-capitalist, settler-nondescript, and colonial flunkies."
—Kuwasi Balagoon, Black Liberation Army

“When Settlers hit the tiers of San Quentin, back in 1986, it totally exploded our ideas about what we as a new class of revolutionaries thought we knew about a so-called ‘united working class’ in amerika. And what's more, it brought the actual contradictions of national oppression and imperialism into sharp focus. It was my first, and as such my truest, study of the actual mechanics behind the expertly fabricated illusion of an amerikan proletariat.”
—Sanyika Shakur, author of Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member

Again, to download Settlers for free, click here: https://www.amazon.com/Settlers-Mythology-Proletariat-Mayflower-Modern-ebook/dp/B00N980EQK
Well they've done us there
The best thing about the Rhizzone version is Stego now linking all the sources, which is lacking in an ebook format
i still think ours is way better since its online and permanently referenceable, im just glad they decided to release an ebook of the most recent edition. the interview w/ ernesto is great
all the anti-communists i know are really into sources (jk Stego ur doing the lord's work)
let's make it even better by making it an audiobook...read by tpaine with lots of distressed cat intermissions between chapters

Urbandale posted:

i still think ours is way better since its online and permanently referenceable, im just glad they decided to release an ebook of the most recent edition. the interview w/ ernesto is great

the audio to that interview is online somewhere btw.

Urbandale posted:

glad the 'zone podcast has finally dropped

https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3p2xf8NdRg#t=43m0s

good stuff at this point
a point too often overlooked, or worse rationalized and excused
can i just say that steg's talk on settlers came up in the suggested videos on that youtube, and it's really good. red salute, steg.
i finally started tucking into settlers. so far it's all killer, no filler.

some minor proofreading notes:

as a general point in all chapters so far, find/replace " - " with " — " (or if you prefer html entities, " — "). more faithful to the book, looks better, etc.

ch 1:
• "sparsely 6 populated" (page number intruding)
• Afrikan slaverv.
• French pro- letariat
• constant flux.. . "

ch 2:
• wealthy English family-and was (space out hyphen, replace with em dash)
• bloudy Ennimies. " (sic, just reverse quotation mark & close gap)
• "Our Design " (same)
• property-less (hyphen not in text)
• quickly pardoned-and even restored (space out & em dash again)
• full citizen-ship rights
• Euro-Amerikan settlers-who were (space out & em dash)
• immediate enemy-was just (same)
• British forces-over ten for every (same)
• the national patriotic struggle of Euro-Amerikans was opposite to the basic interests and political desires of the oppressed. (bold)
• "lose" the war-compared to (em again)

there's a mixed bag of other inconsistencies and such i'd correct if i were doing a proper proof, but they appear in the pdf too so i'll say faithful reproduction wins out, w/e

more to come, as i find time
Ty I will do that this weekend probably. And put up some more citations