one immediately noticeable thing about the media discourse around the hillary e-mails is that there's a lot of coverage over the meta issues with the e-mails, i.e. the legal, security, and classification issues with the e-mail server etc., but almost no coverage of what's actually in the e-mails and what it reveals about how the state department is run, how it's foreign policy is selected, and the obvious collusion between the state department, the media, and academia.

so i'm gonna take this first post to just call out one specific person that popped up through casual searching through wikileak's database and which serves as an example of how media collusion as a whole operates in our boring elite-driven world of punditry.

here's (the heavy-handed but i suppose aptly named) Anne-Marie Slaughter, your typical clinton-lackey who used to work in the state department herself and now runs a think tank, while holding a tenure position at princeton. she also serves/served on a variety of government-spook boards like the NED and corporate boards like citigroup and mcdonalds. her career-trajectory pretty much epitomizes the rewards bestowed upon you for years of touting the establishment line and crafting its rhetoric.

and so it should come to no surprise that when she writes imperialist propaganda for the atlantic, such as "How the World Could And Maybe Should Intervene in Syria", she immediately e-mails hillary to proudly show her craftsmanship: https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/23352

but what's even more interesting are the emails that give a window into their thoughts on specific foreign policy goals

because make no mistake, slaughter's more candid views about foreign policy can be justifiably used as a cipher for what a hillary presidency will look like, as this e-mail makes clear when hillary says, "When I get my thoughts better collected, I'd love to see you--or at least talk about how to propagate our version of foreign policy!"

which means, for example, we get an idea of the kind of solutions she might promote for the israel-palestine conflict- a neoliberal privatization that amounts to building a train system: https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/1963

Slaughter: Here is the link to the video of The Arc. http://friendsofthearc.org/, a national infrastructure trunkline for a future Palestinian State developed by the RAND Corporation. It is only 8 minutes long, but a great overview of the Arc vision and its potential for enabling peace in the region. I promise you it is worth it. It has tested very well with both Palestinians, Israelis and American Jews and Palestinians. It is a genuinely a transformational idea that did not originate from American politicians or diplomats, but rather from innovative American minds in collaboration with stakeholders from all walks of life in Palestine, Israel, the US, Europe, and the Muslim world. And it could be largely financed with private finance.

Hillary: That is a great practical idea. Thx for sending. I'd like to discuss next week.

Slaughter: I'm so glad you took the time to see it. It's both practical/achievable and visionary. And I'm wondering if that stellar group of CEOs etc that Madeleine, Walter, and Muhtar have assembled cdnt spearhead a drive to make it a reality. AM

it's likely some version of this idea will be pushed by the administration during its reign.

or, of course, something even more weak-fisted- which shows the real paucity of ideas and limit of imagination when elites try to figure out solutions to israel-palestine within the confines of neoliberalism: https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/6997

This may be a crazy idea, but as far as we can tell we need ideas. Suppose we launched a "Pledge for Palestine" campaign that copies Warren Buffet's "The Giving Pledge" campaign, described below — he's trying to get 40 billionaires to give away most of their money. I had asked some S/P folks to think about how we might take that campaign global to help change the attitudes of elites in places like Pakistan and Latin America, but perhaps Warren Buffet could be convinced to lend his name — or perhaps Michael Bloomberg or Danny Abraham (together with a very wealthy Muslim) - to a similar Pledge for Palestine campaign. Such a campaign among billionaires/multi-millionaires around the world would reflect a strong vote of confidence in the building of a Palestinian state and could offset the ending of the moratorium for Palestinians (there would also be a certain shaming effect re Israelis, who would be building settlements in the face of a pledge for peace). With even 30 calls to the right people in the Clinton fundraising network it shoulde possible to generate a substantial enough amount quickly enough to capture the public imagination on the heels of the President's speech and, critically, to serve as an expression of global solidarity with the Palestinians and but also a meaningful promise of material improvements for Palestinians on the West Bank. That could significantly bolster Abbas in a way that could help him stay in the talks. This is what diplomacy beyond the state should mean.

meanwhile, slaughter is a huge proponent of "R2P"- Responsibility to Protect - which drives her justification for interventions in Libya and Syria:

Why Libya sceptics were proved badly wrong

The sceptics’ response to all this, of course, is that it is too early to tell. In a year, or a decade, Libya could disintegrate into tribal conflict or Islamist insurgency, or split apart or lurch from one strongman to another. But the question for those who opposed the intervention is whether any of those things is worse than Col Gaddafi staying on by increasingly brutal means for many more years. Instability and worse would follow when he died, even had he orchestrated a transition.
The sceptics must now admit that the real choice in Libya was between temporary stability and the illusion of control, or fluidity and the ability to influence events driven by much larger forces. Welcome to the tough choices of foreign policy in the 21st century. Libya proves the west can make those choices wisely after all.

as with u.s. foreign policy decades ago in yugoslavia, slaughter's view is that chaos and instability is better than a so-called "brutal dictator" antagonistic to american interests in the region. and as with that previous war, humanitarianism gives moral cover for actual u.s. brutality in pursuing its national goals.

when hillary is elected this will no doubt be the policy that she will operate under with regard to the middle east and latin america, pushed for during her tenure in the state department and made manifest during her presidency.

anyway, i encourage people to just sorta browse around and see what turns up, i find it kinda fun. it remains a shame however that most of the really fun and enlightening stuff remains redacted, which you can immediately see if you search for "venezeula" or "honduras". although, with regard to the latter, it is still revealing that despite all the juicy info hidden behind the redactions, in their internal communications these people made no bones about the fact that it was an obvious military coup: https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/14932
https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/14338
which is useful to link to considering there are still those even today who try to claim that it wasn't a coup at all haha

fluidity

aerdil posted:

"R2P"- Responsibility to Protect

(offer void for queer people, palestinians, kurds, congolese, roma, adivasis, saudi women, oromos, black or indigenous peoples in amerika,

we already a have a thread for reading blood lies
This one is my favorite.

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/6528

According to sensitive information . . . taken from the vaults of the Libyan Central Bank in Tripoli.

This gold was accumulated prior to the current rebellion and was intended to be used to establish a pan-African currency based on the Libyan golden Dinar.

This plan was designed to provide the Francophone African Countries with an alternative to the French.franc (CFA). (Source Comment: According to knowledgeable individuals this quantity of gold and silver is valued at more than $7 billion. French intelligence officers discovered this plan shortly after the current rebellion began, and this was one of the factors that influenced President Nicolas Sarkozy's decision to commit France to the attack on Libya.

According to these individuals Sarkozy's plans are driven by the following issues:

a. A desire to gain a greater share of Libya oil production,

b.Increase French influence in North Africa, UNCLASSIFIED U.S. Department of State Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05779612 Date: 12/31/2015

c. Improve his intemai political situation in France,

d. Provide the French military with an opportunity to reassert its position in the world,

e. Address the concern of his advisors over Qaddafi's long term plans to supplant France as the dominant power in Francophone Africa)

Fucking nauseating.

Posting in a good hillary thread
Is there an official story on what has happened to this gold?

Gssh posted:

fed rsv new york like all the other gold

lol at this email from Sidney Blumenthal
https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/19089

See below. Projection, madness, revenge--you pick the Shakespeare plot. Most of them truly believe in their fevered visions. McCain? Back to Shakespeare, last category. Not to mention the Dittohead FBI agent. Eric Cantor's explanation that he wanted to prevent the investigation from being "politicized" doesn't rise to risible. Spoke with Peter Westmacott, UK ambassador, last night, at strange Tina sponsored event, "Hero Summit," where Petraeus was to be keynote and McRaven delivered a testimonial to Petraeus' character as the finest officer he had ever met, etc. to stormy applause (what the hell, see brain washed testimonials to Raymond Shaw in Manchurian Candidate). (Melanne was there.) Peter volunteered that he had been at MacDill and witnessed the financially and personally sketchy Jill Kelley's appalling social envelopment of virtually the entire social life of the base, coopting the generals, admirals and their wives with herself at the center as queen bee. So who the hell is she? South Korean honorary consul? Huh? Even if she is just an ambitious dope (or in another jargon, unwitting asset of someone or some power), the scene is squalid. This is the center of the war on terror? Or is it the set of the next season of Homeland? My advice to you? Publicly and directly puncture conspiracy fever on Benghazi before any closed hearing, in response to press question that you make yourself available to.
S

also here's some good analysis of the honduras e-mails specifically:

http://cepr.net/blogs/the-americas-blog/the-hillary-clinton-emails-and-honduras

basically clinton went against the recommendation of even slaughter and other staff & senate democrats to call it a military coup because otherwise they would legally have to shut off hundreds of millions of dollars in grants to the coup government

also the emails make clear that even knowing it was a coup there was never any intention in letting zelaya back in power

not to mention the passage from her book hard choices that was later deleted from later editions: "We strategized on a plan to restore order in Honduras and ensure that free and fair elections could be held quickly and legitimately, which would render the question of Zelaya moot."

an e-mail from one of her staff:

The turnout (probably a record) and the clear rejection of the Liberal Party shows our approach was the right one, and puts Brazil and others who would not recognize the election in an impossible position. As we think about what to say, I would strongly recommend that we not be shy. We should congratulate the Honduran people, we should connect today's vote to the deep democratic vocation of the Honduran people, and we should call on the community of democratic nations (and especially those of the Americas) to recognize, respect, and respond to this accomplishment of the Honduran people.

"As was later revealed, the election turnout numbers had actually been grossly inflated by Honduras’ electoral authority. And the elections themselves had been marred by violence and media censorship."

it's worth noting but no surprise that these people will lie to themselves to imagine that they're doing good while pursuing american interests

rather than listen to the liberal-wing about honduras, the e-mails instead imply that clinton followed the advice of lanny davis, at the time a lawyer representing the interests of the Business Council of Latin America (CEAL), a coalition of Honduran businessmen who had supported Zelaya's ouster. there's an e-mail titled "Lanny Davis" where clinton asks "Can he help me talk w Micheletti?"

lanny davis is all over the e-mails routinely asking for and giving personal favors: https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/29602
which, when hillary e-mailed her ethics lawyer as to whether it was legal, etc. the conversation was redacted lol: https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/1708

meanwhile, and this is getting back into media collusion, he runs a bunch of columns and opinion pieces in the washington times and the hill supporting clinton's foreign policy

aerdil posted:

it's worth noting but no surprise that these people will lie to themselves to imagine that they're doing good while pursuing american interests

buttering up your boss is a crucial career skill

walkinginonit posted:

This one is my favorite.

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/6528

According to sensitive information . . . taken from the vaults of the Libyan Central Bank in Tripoli.

This gold was accumulated prior to the current rebellion and was intended to be used to establish a pan-African currency based on the Libyan golden Dinar.

This plan was designed to provide the Francophone African Countries with an alternative to the French.franc (CFA). (Source Comment: According to knowledgeable individuals this quantity of gold and silver is valued at more than $7 billion. French intelligence officers discovered this plan shortly after the current rebellion began, and this was one of the factors that influenced President Nicolas Sarkozy's decision to commit France to the attack on Libya.

According to these individuals Sarkozy's plans are driven by the following issues:

a. A desire to gain a greater share of Libya oil production,

b.Increase French influence in North Africa, UNCLASSIFIED U.S. Department of State Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05779612 Date: 12/31/2015

c. Improve his intemai political situation in France,

d. Provide the French military with an opportunity to reassert its position in the world,

e. Address the concern of his advisors over Qaddafi's long term plans to supplant France as the dominant power in Francophone Africa)

Fucking nauseating.

!!!

[account deactivated]

Gssh posted:

i assumed thats where these came from a while back

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3215910/ISIS-release-pictures-new-gold-coins-say-break-capitalist-enslavement-paying-deranged-gunmen-dollars.html

lol
[account deactivated]

Gssh posted:

reviewing the spending bill for that year, it was distributed and spent on low-quality reddit comments

if the democratic party had a left #fluidity would blow up like a libyan
https://theintercept.com/2016/07/22/new-leak-top-dnc-official-wanted-to-use-bernie-sanderss-religious-beliefs-against-him/

To: MirandaL@dnc.org, PaustenbachM@dnc.org, DaceyA@dnc.org
Date: 2016-05-05 03:31
Subject: No shit
It might may no difference, but for KY and WVA can we get someone to ask his belief. Does he believe in a God. He had skated on saying he has a Jewish heritage. I think I read he is an atheist. This could make several points difference with my peeps. My Southern Baptist peeps would draw a big difference between a Jew and an atheist.
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:13 AM
To: Miranda, Luis
Subject: Fwd: MSNBC’s Brzezinski: Wasserman Schultz ‘Should Step Down,’ Dem Primary ‘Has Been Unfair’ To Sanders

This is the LAST straw. Please call Phil Griffin (goat: President of MSNBC). This is outrageous. She needs to apologize.

DWS
https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/5477

Re: Politico - Sanders: Democratic Party hasn't been fair to me

From:hrtsleeve@gmail.com To: PaustenbachM@dnc.org Date: 2016-04-24 17:25 Subject: Re: Politico - Sanders: Democratic Party hasn't been fair to me

Spoken like someone who has never been a member of the Democratic Party and has no understanding of what we do.
Subject: Re: CNN tomorrow morning
https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/5013

On May 17, 2016, at 6:54 PM, Banfill, Ryan wrote:
Pablo,
What's the status of tomorrow's CNN AM hit? Can we move it closer to the 820 POTUS hit?
If not we may have to pull the plug.
Let us know ASAP.
Thanks,
Ryan

On May 17, 2016, at 7:01 PM, Manriquez, Pablo wrote:
They structured their whole show on that we’ll make news in the 6am hour. We told them a time. They took care of us. Now they’re all asleep. Are we really going to screw them over on our mistake???

Plus Luis, Mark

On May 17, 2016, at 7:02 PM, Kate Houghton wrote:
Pablo calm it down buddy. We just asked a question. You can deal with DWS in the am if you want.

On May 17, 2016, at 7:05 PM, Manriquez, Pablo wrote:
I'll staff, no prob. I don't mind being the guy who has to get up early. But the guy who doesn't deliver? No way.

On May 17, 2016, at 7:07 PM, Kate Houghton wrote:
You have no clue what you are asking for.

On May 17, 2016, at 7:16 PM, Manriquez, Pablo wrote:
Smaller Group — Oh I know what I asked for and you approved this morning. Sooo…for approval:

Dear CNN,
Don’t book us anymore because we can’t read a calendar.

OR

Dear CNN,
Pls have Trump call-in and set the news cycle against us instead, per usual.

Either way, they’re not going to change their rundown. I’ll try and book Luis.

On May 17, 2016, at 7:27 PM, Kate Houghton wrote:
Pablo fuck off
[account deactivated]

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:13 AM
To: Miranda, Luis
Subject: Fwd: MSNBC’s Brzezinski: Wasserman Schultz ‘Should Step Down,’ Dem Primary ‘Has Been Unfair’ To Sanders

This is the LAST straw. Please call Phil Griffin (goat: President of MSNBC). This is outrageous. She needs to apologize.

DWS

I like how she proves the claim with this response.

Who cares about Hillary. I want more of this Pablo guy.

hey posted:

Who cares about Hillary. I want more of this Pablo guy.

[account deactivated]
Enough! I won't sit here and let you drag Pablo's good name through the dirt!

own the Hispanic loyalty

lmao

Edited by insta_gramsci ()

good gay everyone

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/19663
lol
https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/4075

Subj: The dumbest thing I've ever read: Buzzfeed: These Experts Think The DNC And RNC Are Both Horrible At Cybersecurity
the best thing about the email leak is how it's made all Clinton supporting liberals suddenly be realpolitik-loving d.c. insiders who roll their eyes at anyone aghast at 'how the sausage gets made'. (NB: it gets made with blood, misery, exploitation and death)

Panopticon posted:

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/19663

this is who she was sending it to

can love blossom on the battlefield?

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/18083

state department operations desk asked about weather, calls wrong country