oh no

edit: snipe
[account deactivated]
http://tineye.com/search/851928996a0266691e2d3b76dad85461f9dbc5e8/

i was concerned there for a second

88888 posted:

oh no

edit: snipe

five eights, can you explain the connotation of 'snipe' on the boards? I've seen it around and I don't get it.

Page Snipe is When yog Snipe a page that is A New Page, belphy
And just to be totally clear, "yog" is an ironic misspelling of "you". You'll notice all kinds of little stylistic flourishes like that in people's posts - irregular capitalisation, improbably poor grammar. It's what passes for having a genuine human personality I guess. I never really "got" it myself but it kind of gets under the skin over time as you start to emulate your favourite posters. For instance, right now I'm doing a poor imitation of getfiscal.
the chap plotting to blow up berlin airport was a white helmet hero

According to his older brother, Jaber explained his trip to Syria earlier this year by saying that he wanted to volunteer with the White Helmets: “He went to Turkey seven months ago and spent two months in Syria. He called us and told us 'I'm volunteering with the White Helmets (emergency teams) in Idlib'.”
Jaber also mentioned that he was with Ahrar al-Sham in Idlib and doing "humanitarian aid work."

Al-Nusra was until recently the official Syrian branch of al-Qaeda and is still considered a terrorist organization by the United States and the United Nations. Ahrar al-Sham, on the other hand, enjoys the support of the U.S. and its allies and is being protected from the terrorist label despite its close ties to al-Qaeda and other designated terrorist organizations.
In March 2015, the military alliance “Jaish al-Fatah” (“Army of Conquest”), led by al-Nusra and Ahrar al-Sham, seized Idlib city from government forces. Idlib was only the second provincial capital to be captured from the government since the start of the conflict, the other one being Raqqa.
The attack on Idlib city had been planned for months. In November 2014, NATO member Turkey and close U.S. ally Qatar began providing increased logistical and military support to Ahrar al-Sham and several other factions active in northwestern Syria, thereby enabling Jaish al-Fatah’s series of victories in spring 2015.

“Schools have been segregated, women forced to wear veils, and posters of Osama bin Laden hung on the walls. Government offices were looted, and a more effective government has yet to take shape. With the Talibanization of Idlib, the 100-plus Christian families of the city fled. The few Druze villages that remained have been forced to denounce their religion and embrace Islam; some of their shrines have been blown up. No religious minorities remain in rebel-held Syria, in Idlib, or elsewhere.”

http://www.boilingfrogspost.com/2016/10/17/the-jaber-al-bakr-story-how-a-white-helmets-volunteer-almost-blew-up-berlin-airport/
https://yallalabarra.wordpress.com/2016/08/10/video-portrait-abdallah-al-muhaysni-the-man-who-heads-the-us-backed-aleppo-offensive/

a bunch of translated short videos of the leader of “Jaish al-Fatah”/“Army of Conquest”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/plans-to-send-heavier-weapons-to-cia-backed-rebels-in-syria-stall-amid-white-house-skepticism/2016/10/23/f166ddac-96ee-11e6-bb29-bf2701dbe0a3_story.html

"Plans to send heavier weapons to CIA-backed rebels in Syria stall amid White House skepticism"
Well, I have to be honest with you General. Those planes don't seem to be having any trouble taking off at all. And I'm, ah, a bit skeptical that these weapons are going to be heavy enough for our rebels, if they can be handled like routine cargo.
Listening to the War Nerd discuss Syria is funny because he started off saying that the US strategy in Syria was very schizophrenic and stupid, simultaneously funding and bombing rebels, not bombing Assad. Now he's starting to slip in the feeling that, hmm, maybe this isn't a stupid strategy if all you want is a whirlwind of endless chaos and war in Syria... And I think he's right in suggesting that the Israelis weren't involved in starting this war, but they're seizing the opportunity and are now actively helping al-Nusrah because they're such fuckwits they can't appreciate how that will bite them in the arse in years to come.

Gibbonstrength posted:

Now he's starting to slip in the feeling that, hmm, maybe this isn't a stupid strategy if all you want is a whirlwind of endless chaos and war in Syria...

This is a noob materialist question, I'm sure, but what specifically does the U.S. stand to gain by destabilizing Syria? Relatedly, what did they gain from toppling Gaddafi?

Removing hostiles?
In Syria it started in earnest after Assad rejected a plan to build a Qatari pipeline through Syria, and instead went for a Russian pipeline through Syria and Iran. Removing Assad will eliminate a threat to the security of the petrodollar, push back rival Russian influence in the middle east, and war is a good excuse to throw billions of dollars to contractor friends anyway.
I do wonder sometimes whether Hillary and Cameron and sarko just decided to destroy Gaddafi opportunistically just for the sheer craic of it... Like he and saif were mostly playing ball

Belphegor posted:

Gibbonstrength posted:

Now he's starting to slip in the feeling that, hmm, maybe this isn't a stupid strategy if all you want is a whirlwind of endless chaos and war in Syria...

This is a noob materialist question, I'm sure, but what specifically does the U.S. stand to gain by destabilizing Syria? Relatedly, what did they gain from toppling Gaddafi?

Sovereign, stable, self reliant countries are nice if you like that sort of thing, but fractured bantustans full of craters and starving peasants are easier to turn into fully dependent slave states. Bomb the shit out of them until you get a collaborator government in place, then offer to help reconstruct. All they have to do is sign these oil/mineral leases that they have no negotiating leverage to contest because if they say no they're terrorists and we'll keep bombing. Once the bombing stops, thanks to USAID, all the reconstruction work will be done by US corporations.

We'll take their wealth, we'll sell them back their own water and electricity, we'll put the population to work making cheap plastic shit for a quarter an hour, and we'll murder anyone that doesn't like it. And we'll even try to make them pay for the bombs too.

Gssh posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/plans-to-send-heavier-weapons-to-cia-backed-rebels-in-syria-stall-amid-white-house-skepticism/2016/10/23/f166ddac-96ee-11e6-bb29-bf2701dbe0a3_story.html"Plans to send heavier weapons to CIA-backed rebels in Syria stall amid White House skepticism"

hillary takes office january 20

Check out this extremely made up article by a guy who doesn't exist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/10/21/how-to-survive-in-aleppo

the media is just straight up publishing chain emails
key to the destabilization strategy is the NGO activity we're always discussing here. nonstop foment of anti-government "activists" through channels dependent on u.s./western support, then some of those people reach actual power after their country is ravaged and have to satisfy constituencies in their own countries over western financial interests, then the same channels are used to fund the next wave of anti-government "activists" to overthrow them, and so on. this is exactly what led to the birth of isis in syria and iraq - pressure not just on the syrian government to capitulate to the u.s. and israel but on the "friendly" iraq government as well. the u.s. made sounds like iraq's leadership should step down due to ties with iran, it refused, the u.s. flooded the region with arms, isis moved in, iraq's leadership stepped down.

all in all this seems much more efficient than trying to prop up a strong man in any locale, because the west never has to defend anyone it installs, it just needs to keep the same flow of money through the same channels to the young, naive and opportunistic and a state actor never arises that could hope to project its power past the suburbs of any large community in the region, much less align itself with iran in a way that could challenge israel as a western client state.

xipe posted:

https://yallalabarra.wordpress.com/2016/08/10/video-portrait-abdallah-al-muhaysni-the-man-who-heads-the-us-backed-aleppo-offensive/a bunch of translated short videos of the leader of “Jaish al-Fatah”/“Army of Conquest”

good shit

MarxUltor posted:

Belphegor posted:

Gibbonstrength posted:

Sovereign, stable, self reliant countries are nice if you like that sort of thing, but fractured bantustans full of craters and starving peasants are easier to turn into fully dependent slave states. Bomb the shit out of them until you get a collaborator government in place, then offer to help reconstruct. All they have to do is sign these oil/mineral leases that they have no negotiating leverage to contest because if they say no they're terrorists and we'll keep bombing. Once the bombing stops, thanks to USAID, all the reconstruction work will be done by US corporations.

We'll take their wealth, we'll sell them back their own water and electricity, we'll put the population to work making cheap plastic shit for a quarter an hour, and we'll murder anyone that doesn't like it. And we'll even try to make them pay for the bombs too.

its worth noting that this has a history going back to the reconstruction after world war 2. i wouldnt be surprised if it were possible to tie the results of this activity (e.g. europe, japan and south korea got more infrastructure and industry out of the deal than anyone since) to the economic shifts happening in the 70s

with libya there was also a concern that libya was gonna fuck with france's currency supremacy, as explained by good old sid

also lol at first I was like "wait doesn't france use the euro, is this some kind of poorly faked bullshit" but then a little extra wikipediaing revealed that there is a "post"-colonial currency union (issuing francs pegged to the euro) over most of west africa

Edited by thirdplace ()

Belphegor posted:

Death and destruction, fire and blood, the wails and screams of a thousand thousand souls, the final breaths of a million starved children offered up to the dark gods,

[account deactivated]

tears posted:

Belphegor posted:

Death and destruction, fire and blood, the wails and screams of a thousand thousand souls, the final breaths of a million starved children offered up to the dark gods,

ya taht's what I thought

Belphegor posted:

colddays, marxultor and tears answered correctly

for more specifics see, e.g., the rush to feed on libya's still-warm corpse after the structures regulating foreign distributors & contracts were removed

Max Forte, Slouching Towards Sirte posted:

Fast forward to 2011: just as the Libyan government began to crumble after six months of continuous NATO bombings of its troops and civilian brigades, the U.S. immediately rushed in to secure business opportunities, especially the kinds from which they had been blocked before. As battles raged in Sirte in late September 2011, U.S. Ambassador Gene Cretz returned to Tripoli just a week after those loyal to the Al-Fateh Revolution were beaten back, and he immediately “participated in a State Department conference call with about 150 American companies hoping to do business with Libya.” Which kinds of business opportunities most occupied Cretz? Infrastructure. As he told the media, “even in Qaddafi’s time they were starting from A to Z in terms of building infrastructure.” Cretz added: “If we can get American companies here on a fairly big scale, which we will try to do everything we can to do that, then this will redound to improve the situation in the United States with respect to our own jobs.” While “oil is the jewel in the crown of Libyan natural resources,” Cretz stated that it was never the “predominant reason” for U.S. intervention— indeed, to say so would neglect all of the other economic, strategic, and military reasons. The New York Times’ correspondent observed that Cretz’s remarks were “a rare nod to the tacit economic stakes in the Libyan conflict for the United States and other Western countries,” and that his comments “underlined the American eagerness for a cut of any potential profits” (Kirkpatrick, 2011/9/22).

As the fighting ravaged Sirte, Tayyip Erdogan, Prime Minister of Turkey and a NATO member, also visited Tripoli, “hoping to reap political and economic dividends from Libya’s new rulers.” Turkey had contracts totalling around$15 billion U.S. in Libya. As for other leading NATO members that actively led in the attack on Libya, France and the UK were told by Libya’s NTC that “their support may be repaid in business contracts” (Logan & Farge, 2011/9/16).

As early as a week before Muammar Gaddafi was murdered in Sirte on October 20, a delegation of 80 French companies arrived in Tripoli to meet with the new NTC regime and the new British defence minister, Philip Hammond, urged British companies to “pack their suitcases” and head to Tripoli. Western security, construction and infrastructure companies turned the NTC’s dependency on and support for NATO into a competitive advantage, as they spotted profit-making opportunities in Libya. Such opportunities were just starting to diminish in Afghanistan and Iraq: “entrepreneurs are abuzz about the business potential of a country with huge needs and the oil to pay for them.” “Whilst speculation continues regarding Qaddafi’s killing,” Trango Special Projects said on its Web site, “are you and your business ready to return to Libya?” (Shane, 2011/10/28).

Finally, Mahmoud Jibril’s comments deserve mention. Jibril served first with the National Economic Development Board under Gaddafi from 2007 to 2011, and then joined the NTC and toured as its “Head of International Affairs” before serving as an interim Prime Minister under the NTC. He later resigned from the NTC altogether and made some stunning declarations that few seemed to want to discuss. In one interview, Jibril stated quite plainly: “every foreign power you can think of is trying to look after its own interests in Libya. No one is excluded. This is the name of the game. This is politics. Countries have interests in Libya and everybody is looking out for their own” (Campell, 2011). Far from being a humanitarian mission to save lives, deeper interests were at work, according to Jibril himself, someone with intimate familiarity with a wide range of deals that were struck behind closed doors as NATO bombed Libya.

also, i think i've linked this before but

In connection with Syria impeding the achievement of US goals in the Middle East, the Congressional Research Service made the following points in 2005 about the Syrian economy: It is “largely state-controlled;” it is “dominated by…(the) public sector, which employs 73% of the labour force;” and it is “still based largely on Soviet models.”

that's a whole lot of labor-power to free up by toppling the state. primitive accumulation, baby.

Notably that report came out before Assad agreed in 2005 to a broad neoliberal reform package which was aimed at ending consumer subsidies and encouraging foreign direct investment. (Although Assad being a right-wing leader isn't a good reason to support 'regime change', obviously.)
re: reasons to cause chaos ... recent news splash that child refugees displaced from syria are making clothes sold in UK shops

www.bbc.com/news/business-37716463

re: reason to overthrow assad, here is some background into him rejecting the qatari pipeline option and going for iran/russia pipeline in 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/09/15/assads-death-warrant/[

here is a french politician saying the same from the french side of things

getfiscal posted:

Notably that report came out before Assad agreed in 2005 to a broad neoliberal reform package which was aimed at ending consumer subsidies and encouraging foreign direct investment. (Although Assad being a right-wing leader isn't a good reason to support 'regime change', obviously.)

https://gowans.wordpress.com/2016/10/22/the-revolutionary-distemper-in-syria-that-wasnt/

this recent article counters the 'common knowledge' on the western left that bashar is a tyrant with no legitimacy using liberal western media's own reporting... but also disputes that he was right wing...

Finally, the Ba’athist leader included in his updated constitution a provision that had been introduced by his father in 1973, a step toward real, genuine democracy—a provision which decision-makers in Washington, with their myriad connections to the banking and corporate worlds, could hardly tolerate. The constitution would require that at minimum half the members of the People’s Assembly be drawn from the ranks of peasants and workers.

If Assad was a neo-liberal, he certainly was one of the world’s oddest devotees of the ideology.

The article doesn't discuss any of the actual reforms the government was doing (aimed at meeting structural adjustment targets by cutting a wide range of subsidies to families). I didn't say Assad or his reforms were unpopular or that there were widespread calls for revolution against Assad. Quoting constitutions to make a comparative argument is stupid though. It'd be like an alien saying that Earth has universal access to social and economic rights because we ratified the Universal Declaration on Human Rights.
I think it's pretty well accepted that the reforms Assad introduced in the second half of the 00's were neoliberal.
If it wasn't for the qatari pipeline stuff, an american perspective would be that he was being woke and intersectional, just not enough.
I know an economist who was doing economic consulting for Syria circa 2007. He was initially supposed to liaise with a minister (finance, perhaps? But I'm not sure.) but he was given the runaround and ended up reporting directly to Assad because the minister was hostile to the project. His impression was that Assad was personally very supportive of liberalization and enthusiastic about implementing economic and political reforms, but was constrained by the Ba'ath party. None of this really matters wrt the war, but I found it interesting how this contrasts with the image that was promoted in western propaganda. Nothing short of abject subservience to US interests is enough, I suppose.
what are some good sources on the real effects of said neoliberal reforms? was it a simple case of "public-sector employment fell from 73% to ??" or something more diffuse like "median real purchasing power fell by X%"

also, to what extent did the 2011-2012 reforms counteract them? thinking in particular of this:

April 4th 2011

Mr Assad raises wages and pensions and lowers tax rates

On March 24th Mr Assad issued three decrees conferring significant financial benefits on public-sector employees and on low-wage earners in general, together with a fourth decree amending sections of a 2004 law covering the sale of land in border areas. The package of measures was clearly aimed at garnering popular support in the wake of the protests that had started in mid-March and which had been particularly intense in Deraa, a town near the border with Jordan. The measures were as follows:

• Decree 40. All public-sector wages will be increased by S£1,500 (US$32) per month with effect from April 1st. The Ministry of Finance has specified that this will entail consolidating the heating and cost-of-living living allowances into the monthly salary. An additional increase of 30% of the new consolidated salary will be awarded for all employees earning less than S£10,000 per month, and workers earning more than this will get a 20% raise. The minimum wage for all workers in both the public sector and the private sector will increase to S£9,765.

• Decree 41. The basic state pension will be increased by S£1,500 per month, again through consolidating heating and cost-of-living allowances. There will also be a 25% increase in the consolidated pension, and the minimum level for a state pension will be raised to S£9,390 from S£6,010.

• Decree 42. The personal income tax bands will change, based on raising the initial threshold to S£10,000 per month, from S£6,010. The rate for the first band, for earnings up to S£15,000, is 5%, rising to 7% for earning up to S£20,000, 9% up to S£25,000, 11% up to S£30,000 and 13% for earnings of S£38,000, corresponding to the top grade in the public sector. The highest rate of income tax will remain at 22% and will be levied on earnings over S£75,000 per month.

• Decree 43. Several articles in Law 41 of 2004 relating to the exploitation of land in border areas have been amended so as to tighten the condition for the purchase and development of such land. There have been complaints in many border regions that the law had enabled well-connected business groups to set up highly profitable commercial ventures in such areas, including Deraa, which had damaged the interests of local people.

I think living standards have probably fallen in Syria since then.
that's our getfiscal

Aspie_Muslim_Economist_ posted:

Nothing short of abject subservience to US interests is enough, I suppose.

like i said - not woke and intersectional enough

i'm looking forwards to seeing if xipe will be cheerleading greater syria or greater turkey when they go to war
an irony twitter dude joined the YPG apparently, irony level off the chart with this guy im impressed