http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clinton-camp-formally-launches-republicans-hillary-effort/story?id=41258531

The Clinton campaign today announced the formal creation of a group to recruit Republican and independent voters dissatisfied with the GOP nominee, Donald Trump.

The launch of the group, "Together for America," comes after months of scattered efforts by the campaign and its allies to woo anti-Trump Republicans.

The group is composed of nearly 50 leaders in business, national security, foreign and economic policy, and politics, among other arenas, according to a list provided by the campaign. Their goal, however, is to eventually recruit grass-level support among conservatives, an aide said.

"Hillary Clinton understands the complex and volatile world we live in, and she has the temperament to be president and Commander-in-Chief. Donald Trump does not," the group's website says. "That’s why so many Republicans and independents are putting country over party and supporting Hillary for president."

A flood of prominent Republicans in recent weeks announced their support of Clinton over Trump, including former George W. Bush policy adviser Kori Schake, Hewlett Packard Enterprise CEO Meg Whitman and former CIA Acting Director Mike Morell. Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, an independent, has also announced his backing of the Democratic nominee.
"bernie's primary challenge is going to push hillary left" - idiot fuckers
you might think that maybe hillary is up enough in the polls that she doesn't need to be courting the endorsements of war criminals, but: dont let the perfect be the enemy of the florrb.
freddie deboer was whining about gawker and he just blocked me for tweeting at him "for a leftist you sure get weepy about incredibly rich and terrible people getting embarrassed by muckrakers". i think this might be the minimum amount of effort i've ever expended to get banned by someone
This is so fucked up and bad... I'm talking about how sexist it is to dislike Hillary Clinton.

Keven posted:

This is so fucked up and bad... I'm talking about how sexist it is to dislike Hillary Clinton.

She's With Us

I'm with Big Hill's Big Tent.
Big Hillie Style. Welcome to Benghazi (Bienvedido a Benghazi)
Seeing Hillary's Broad City appearance was all it took for me to join the ImWithHer squad....

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

Oh my god

This is it.
Her central point in that tweet seems to be that people waiting for Trump to calm down and become more presidential are wrong because this is as good as it gets. Which is an odd strategy because you're lowering expectations on Trump. You're saying that he can't improve from this. So if he actually does spend the last month of the campaign not yelling racial slurs at children he looks like if Robert Redford was running.

getfiscal posted:

So if he actually does spend the last month of the campaign not yelling racial slurs at children he looks like if Robert Redford was running.

I don't think there's much chance of that.

"In fact, in many respects, you know, they honor President Obama. ISIS is honoring President Obama. He is the founder of ISIS. He's the founder of ISIS, OK? He's the founder. He founded ISIS."

I don't care about the This Is The Real Donald Trump part I was more focused on the American Exceptionalism For Dim Sixth Graders part
‏@HillaryClinton
If @TeamUSA was as fearful as Trump, Michael Phelps and Simone Biles would be cowering in the locker room.

America isn’t afraid to compete.
i'm coming to the conclusion that hillary thinks we are all idiots and she plans to skate to victory on being as bland and asinine as possible. she probably will

ilmdge posted:

getfiscal posted:

So if he actually does spend the last month of the campaign not yelling racial slurs at children he looks like if Robert Redford was running.

I don't think there's much chance of that.

"In fact, in many respects, you know, they honor President Obama. ISIS is honoring President Obama. He is the founder of ISIS. He's the founder of ISIS, OK? He's the founder. He founded ISIS."

I thought this whole thing was awesome until until I heard Trump back up this statement by saying Obama founded ISIS because of "the way he pulled out of Iraq."

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

why
i guess i should be happy that hillary hasn't wholly embraced memes from five years ago. the kind of liberal mouthbreathers her campaign attracts would probably be incredibly into that
Paul Krugman: Hillary is such a Republican that Trump has a better spending plan

Hillary Clinton has touted fiscal rectitude as a virtue in her battle for the presidency with self-proclaimed debt king Donald Trump. The trouble is at least one of the country’s most prominent progressive economists doesn’t seem to agree.

While not commenting specifically on Clinton’s economic program, Nobel prize winner Paul Krugman made the case this week that now’s the time for the government to be borrowing more and worrying less about debt. With interest rates so low, he argued that investments in much-needed infrastructure like airports and bridges would pay for themselves by boosting the productive potential of the economy.

“While the politics remain uncertain, it’s clear what we should be doing,” Krugman wrote in an Aug. 8 column in the New York Times. “It’s time for the federal government to borrow and invest.”

Clinton will use an economic speech at a Michigan factory Thursday to attack Trump over the big tax-cut and deregulation program he unveiled in Detroit earlier this week that she says doesn’t add up. The former secretary of state has contrasted the Republican’s plan with her own fiscal prudence, maintaining that her proposed spending increases are offset by equal-sized tax hikes on the wealthy and corporations.

One of the people not shying away from talking about borrowing money to invest in priorities such as infrastructure and the military while rates are low: Trump himself. He recently said he’d more than double Clinton’s $275 billion, five-year proposal to rebuild roads and bridges.

“You need a lot more than that to do it right,” Trump said Thursday on CNBC.

“Normally you would say you want to reduce your debt and I like to reduce debt too, as much as anybody. The problem is you have a military problem, you have an infrastructure problem,” Trump said. “This is the time to borrow.”

kkklintonian triangulation at its finest
http://wonkette.com/605009/we-got-canvassed-by-a-jill-stein-guy-it-was-not-very-fun-for-him

We Got Canvassed By A Jill Stein Guy! It Was Not Very Fun For Him!

By Rebecca Schoenkopf -

Since we have been homeless for over 12 hours now — it’s a whole thing, don’t worry about it, WE’LL BE FINE — we have been luxuriating in the front yard of our friend Rene. She has a soft lawn, and a kiddie blowup pool, and liquor, and toy dinosaurs. It is a swell place to be homeless for a day or even more!

Unfortunately, Rene’s house also comes with a neighborhood Jill Stein canvasser. Did we want to take a moment out of our Sunday to listen to his pitch? We SURELY DID! Did we accidentally call Jill Stein “cunty”? Not so much by accident!

Anyway, howdy neighbor, nice to see you! Please, tell us more of this “Green Party” you represent just kidding we are already familiar! (Have you ever been to a Green meeting? We went once; it took three hours just to certify — everything had to be unanimous — the agenda.)

The nice young hippie man started by pointing out that both major parties were the same. We told him we felt exactly the same way in 1996 and 2000, when we voted for Nader and then became immediately — like Jan. 21, 2001 immediately, around about noon, when someone did away with Bill Clinton’s executive order about arsenic in drinking water — very very sorry. Then he gave us a mimeographed paper square explaining all the things Greens are for — clean energy, money out of politics, healthcare as a human right — and they were all things Democrats are for! That is weird, since Democrats are the same as Republicans because Hillary gave speeches to Goldman Sachs and also emails probably.

And that’s when I said Jill Stein could just be a nice old hippie lady and be like “hey, come be hippies with us!” but instead she had to be so cunty and be calling all the time for Hillary to go to jail and what the fuck was that about, and also fuck her. He said we needed at least an option for a third party, didn’t we? No! We didn’t!

“We’re a Hillary family,” I told him, smiling. (I didn’t check with Rene, but she seemed happy to let me do the talk-yelling.) He started on Hillary being a Wall Street wh… “No, we’re an ACTUAL Hillary family! Enthusiastically!”

In that case, he said, we were the first ones he had ever met. Ever. I think that nice young man was a liar. Sadly, he walked away before I could ask him, or laugh at Jill Stein for pandering to anti-vaxxers or never winning elected office higher than Massachusetts dogcatcher or being a generally miserable cunty hag. “I’M GLAD YOU ARE OUT ORGANIZING!” I shouted to his stiffened back as he walked on down the street, and I meant it! I wish there were more details, but he got out of there pretty quick instead of staying and fighting LIKE A MAN. But seriously, fuck Jill Stein, that mendacious nihilist piece of shit.

Then he gave us a mimeographed paper square explaining all the things Greens are for — clean energy, money out of politics, healthcare as a human right — and they were all things Democrats are for!

durrr

Did we accidentally call Jill Stein “cunty”? Not so much by accident!

this must be some EXTREMELY advanced feminism here

Ran into a Stein supporter at an art fair this weekend and put up my hand, said "Stop. I'm team Hillary and you have no power here"
Oh, Editrix, did no one teach you to play with your food before you eat it? You've gotta suck them in, get their hopes up before you pounce! Like the Bernie guy that called me before the California primary... where I acted like I had no idea what was going on ("Oh, really?! She actually did that? Wow! Free college for my kid? Interesting!) for 45 minutes before I pounced; took apart his whole BS spiel and then laughed as I told him I just wanted to waste as much of his time as I could and, really, I've always #BeenWithHer (since '08 even).

More fun that way.
lol liberalism is such a servile ideology

walkinginonit posted:

lol liberalism is such a servile ideology

one thing i've really started noticing is how liberals act like fanboys to political figures. obviously we remember all the obama campaign dickriding, but you could at least make the excuse that he had charisma and oratory and a transformative campaign. but then you remember all the deference to the genius of the federal reserve dudes or kissinger or mccain or petraeus or hillary herself and now they're trying to release these fucking thinkpieces about how Awesome is Tim Kaine, a heretofore virtually anonymous mediocrity with politics that are simultaneously garbage and effortlessly bland like a fast food dumpster full of cold fries

That's kinda an american thing in general because our education and social discourse level is so shit that most people are only capable of understanding or expressing opinions on political theory or most other complex issues in terms of football teams.

Which is kinda fitting, since also like american politics, american team sports are advertising infested for profit activities with artificial rivalries created solely for the purpose of marketing occasional The B ig Game, wholly integrated into the militarist culture, and the only outcome of either is physically harmed minorities that were often slaves, and the transfer of wealth to the white people in charge of putting on the show.

MarxUltor posted:

That's kinda an american thing in general because our education and social discourse level is so shit that most people are only capable of understanding or expressing opinions on political theory or most other complex issues in terms of football teams.

Which is kinda fitting, since also like american politics, american team sports are advertising infested for profit activities with artificial rivalries created solely for the purpose of marketing occasional The B ig Game, wholly integrated into the militarist culture, and the only outcome of either is physically harmed minorities that were often slaves, and the transfer of wealth to the white people in charge of putting on the show.

it's actually more of a liberal phenomenon than a general american phenomenon. there was some embarrassing Dubya fellatio on the right for his first term but really you aren't going to see the sort of YAAAS QUEEEEN attitudes from conservatives about dick cheney, paul ryan, scott walker, nebraska governor pete ricketts, etc. even when they do have fans -trump, palin, alex jones- it's because they're so brash, so out of the mainstream, as opposed to the liberals for whom mainstream acceptance is the primary metric of intelligence and decency

postposting posted:

Did we accidentally call Jill Stein “cunty”? Not so much by accident!

this must be some EXTREMELY advanced feminism here

where i come from cunty is legit like the highest compliment you can say to some1

le goatsstein must be suffering from election exhaustion. it's the only excuse why he didn't name the thread "klinton kamp klaims kapitalists for kueen".

Skylark posted:

where i come from cunty is legit like the highest compliment you can say to some1

california is weird

i was watching mr robot (because i have terrible taste in tv) and i thought it was funny that The USA Network diligently censor every time a character says 'fuck' but missed the time in the opening minutes of a recent episode someone clearly says 'cunty'
mr robot rules extremely