le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

mr robot rules extremely

I'm actually enjoying it more this season, i felt like it was getting a little flat near the end of s1 when i realised they really were doing a fight club type thing with the main character. I also enjoy the first realistic onscreen depiction of hacking in recent memory

it's actually more of a liberal phenomenon than a general american phenomenon. there was some embarrassing Dubya fellatio on the right for his first term but really you aren't going to see the sort of YAAAS QUEEEEN attitudes from conservatives about dick cheney, paul ryan, scott walker, nebraska governor pete ricketts, etc. even when they do have fans -trump, palin, alex jones- it's because they're so brash, so out of the mainstream, as opposed to the liberals for whom mainstream acceptance is the primary metric of intelligence and decency

i suspect your perception of liberals as more political celebrity oriented is due to selection bias from acquaintances, conservative circles are just as prone to being drooling lapdogs. to know it first hand you've just gotta know the right people, but the structure of the media they consume should make it pretty plain.

Mr Robot sucks if you ask me!
Sprry for the rudeness. Sorry.

shriekingviolet posted:

it's actually more of a liberal phenomenon than a general american phenomenon. there was some embarrassing Dubya fellatio on the right for his first term but really you aren't going to see the sort of YAAAS QUEEEEN attitudes from conservatives about dick cheney, paul ryan, scott walker, nebraska governor pete ricketts, etc. even when they do have fans -trump, palin, alex jones- it's because they're so brash, so out of the mainstream, as opposed to the liberals for whom mainstream acceptance is the primary metric of intelligence and decency

i suspect your perception of liberals as more political celebrity oriented is due to selection bias from acquaintances, conservative circles are just as prone to being drooling lapdogs. to know it first hand you've just gotta know the right people, but the structure of the media they consume should make it pretty plain.

Counterpoint:

Edited by drwhat ()

i think it's mostly just astroturfing + a few people who fall for it
[account deactivated]
Agreed, all those guys are bad dumb asses.'both parties, really. They both "Stan" for their dumb ass idiot candidates, just in different ways. Now,'stop wasting our time with this lame stream bull shit,'we need to get back to explaining why North Korea is actually really good and factually the strongest existing democracy.
like i said, first-term Dubya was the aberration. it is certainly possible that i am just missing the adulation for conservative politicians amongst the rank and file, but i've been around these people my whole life and they simply just don't have the fawning for mainstream politicians that liberals have
Yeah good point no one ever tried to adore say Ronald Reagan
Repubs kept losing for most of the 20th century & a lot of their winners were weird racists & we aren't in a place as a culture where you can get away with creating a cult of personality around Jessie fwiggin helms. Every major conservative figure who wasn't discraced or fat is considered a living God-King by the republican establishment. The only way in which liberals are worse is all the shitty click hound web blogs we read at work all day are liberal so we directly see miles of print on wow! Watch Hilary Clinton DISMANTLE Trumps lies with one remark! Where as we don't read like, the Wall Street journal click bait web site so we're not seeing the 1,500 words on why actually Reebus Preebis is really good and has a nice jawline.

Meursault posted:

Yeah good point no one ever tried to adore say Ronald Reagan

reagan fanboyism on the right only really became a Thing after he was out of office. and again: i'm not saying that top-tier republicans don't have fans or hagiography. what i just don't see as regularly is the fanboy squealing over them as celebrities, especially when they're beige functionaries like tim kaine, harry reid, lincoln chaffee, etc

i'm starting to use twitter now hahaha *douses self in gasoline*
I guess the pres as pop celebrity thing is kind of a Clinton, B - Obama axis? I'm sure if Willa Rogers posted here she'd call me a retard while staring into the eyes of her framed photograph of Kennedy? I see what you're thinking but I'm not sure... If it matters... Or not.
as far as i can tell the primary topic and conflict on leftotwitter is, to my total lack of shock, who is the bigger meanie pants. who does more doxxing, threats, attempts to get people fired, etc. why are you dumb fuckers putting your real names on the internet? maybe i am an old man from an earlier time but i've been regularly on the internet for 15 years and i am 100% confident that nobody from there knows so much as my first name
Same.

like i said, first-term Dubya was the aberration. it is certainly possible that i am just missing the adulation for conservative politicians amongst the rank and file, but i've been around these people my whole life and they simply just don't have the fawning for mainstream politicians that liberals have

although certainly subject to occasional cults of personality as you've noted, conservatives in the US tend to direct their idol worship more towards inanimate objects, like the flag, the constitution, ronald reagan, white pride worldwide, the bible, genocide, guns, troops, and dressing up like an 18th century slave merchant and barking "we the people" at random things like a chihuahua on LSD

They're both Adolf
*two decades of superheroes wearing masks to protect their identity from the bad guys pass through developing brain* anyway, my name is Todd Blerpke from Los Angeles and here is a list of my fetishes and a shirtless pic of my lumpy body, it's time to get into fights with insane people
readspooks.org
OTOH I walk into the world trade center at least once a week and yet I don't care if anyone knows my name sorry about your garbage life goatstein

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

OTOH I walk into the world trade center at least once a week and yet I don't care if anyone knows my name sorry about your garbage life goatstein

lol

one thing i've really started noticing is how liberals act like fanboys to political figures. obviously we remember all the obama campaign dickriding, but you could at least make the excuse that he had charisma and oratory and a transformative campaign. but then you remember all the deference to the genius of the federal reserve dudes or kissinger or mccain or petraeus or hillary herself and now they're trying to release these fucking thinkpieces about how Awesome is Tim Kaine, a heretofore virtually anonymous mediocrity with politics that are simultaneously garbage and effortlessly bland like a fast food dumpster full of cold fries

in my personal experience that process of brand-subscription-as-politics is the metric they use for how sort-of on the ball they are with whatever political currents are in the air at the time. the elizabeth warren one is the weirdest of their minor fixations to me.

i'm not sure how well i can verbalize this but when i see this behavior in personal acquaintances and consider the ways in which the scaffolding of those thought processes is laid down and reinforced by power structures i just get really weirded out.

*two decades of superheroes wearing masks to protect their identity from the bad guys pass through developing brain* anyway, my name is Todd Blerpke from Los Angeles and here is a list of my fetishes and a shirtless pic of my lumpy body, it's time to get into fights with insane people

hey it's not like anyone is going to post a picture of the outside of your apartment or anythinbg

Petrol posted:

this kind of stuff seems like pro-hillary prop disguised as anti

ilmdge posted:

ISIS is honoring President Obama. He is the founder of ISIS. He's the founder of ISIS, OK? He's the founder. He founded ISIS."

Hell, I certainly agree. Anyone here could have said that. See:

Urbandale posted:

this kind of stuff seems like pro-hillary prop disguised as anti

i got that impression too even though it was funny

i spoke with the writer and director a bit on fb, voicing my concerns that a mass murderer is being portrayed like a harmless, out of touch grandma, but they both blocked me
[account deactivated]

Urbandale posted:

i spoke with the writer and director a bit on fb, voicing my concerns that a mass murderer is being portrayed like a harmless, out of touch grandma, but they both blocked me

lol. surely you dont think someone watches this and goes "awww haha yknow that hillary is alright, i guess i wont vote gloria la riva after all"

the video is funny to me as both a hillary non-liker and meme connoisseur

[account deactivated]
i didnt say it wasnt funny, i said it portrayed a mass murderer as a harmless grandma, and thats a much better look for her PR wise. the closest it gets to a critique is when she plays an fps (not even piloting a drone? playing t-ball), the rest of the actual content is just 'LOL shes not a member of our subculture.'

i guess i dunno if this was intentional. its probably more likely that it just wasnt actually an attempt to critique hillary

Edited by Urbandale ()

it was just.. it was just a funy video. Gosh
[account deactivated]
the cia made that video
http://wonkette.com/605513/lets-talk-about-juanita-broaddrick#jGMlMD9AfSVOOGVJ.01

To sum up, I think Bill Clinton could very well have raped Juanita Broaddrick; that it doesn’t make him an evil man, or irredeemable (I’m Catholic; we’re all forgiven, if we’re sorry, and Broaddrick says Bill Clinton personally called her up to apologize). It doesn’t even necessarily make him a bad feminist — you know, later, once he stops doing that.

reporter: what if they aren't of age or haven't consented

liberal: i have some interesting academic texts from 1970s France i'd like you to read.
Liberal 1: George W Bush was actually pretty good

Liberal 2: we can't risk Putin Having the white houses ear

Liberal 1: rape is sometimes justified

Thirdplace: hell I mean say what you want but at least none of that was at all sexist.
edit: fuck the needlessly antagonistic shit i had put here before

Edited by thirdplace ()