tpaine posted:

i've been watching ulillillia wids to get ready for my star-making stuttering, awkward takedown of U.s. Soldiers that will listened to by two dozen people

*yelling from the nosebleed section of the live studio audience* MORE PEOPLE THAN READ YOUR BOOK

ilmdge posted:

try to say "ilmdge" verbally, on the podcast.

in my head it's just "ill midge"

aerdil posted:

if every podcast doesn't end with a 3 minute andy rooney type segment from donald then i dont even know why youre doing this

tpaine posted:

i've been watching ulillillia wids to get ready for my star-making stuttering, awkward takedown of U.s. Soldiers that will listened to by two dozen people

why, you may ask? well, it's because bubsy 3d told me to kill.

what happened to that ulillillia documentary, the platform master, is he ok
[account deactivated]

> i'd appreciate some guidelines on:
>
> - the tone of the interview (academic/informally
> srs/sardonic/chapo)

Ok, for me personally, I don't care about a sustained tone. I think each segment can be serious or stupid, funny or just interesting or relaxing, on its own terms, and my task is to get them to work together. If we have a serious interview I'll find a way to keep it from being directly bracketed by fart SFX, or whatever. I think the overall tone of the show can be a bit brash and stinky/hateful/insiderish in some places without being disrespectful to our guests

> - what EQUIPMENT shd i buy/use

I ordered an ATR2100 usb mic for $60 and it is more than enough microphone. The more important concern is that you be in a place without ambient noise, so, removed from the street, no ambient noise of fans or electronics. Pick a spot, record something, then go listen to it somewhere else as a quick test (so that the fan noise you block out in real life doesn't cover up the same fan noise appearing on the audio). If you want to do field interviews outdoors, nobody expects the sound quality to be as good, but there are a lot of ~$20 voice recorders that do fine. Again ambient noise is a bigger issue than equipment quality for what we're doing.

> When are you hoping to get this done by?

I'd like to have something ready in 2-3 weeks to be passed around for contributor approval. If I turn out to not be productive, or if people don't like how I'm putting things together, I'll turn over all the audio to someone else with mixing experience and have them take a crack at it.

Assuming that doesn't happen. We have a team of four people including me who are kinda taking the lead on production. This doesn't preclude anyone from submitting, on the contrary, it would be great to have things we can't include now, but would fit in a second episode.

One easy idea is a military news bulletin segment, featuring the brand of Troop News we rely on this BBS to imagineer

Edited by swampman ()

if i was to interview people around me for 5, 10 20 minutes and then send it in would that be good?

any guidelines?
would my phone (maybe with one of those headset mics) be good enough quality? should i edit or at least top and tail it?

if the opportunity presents itself i'll record something anyway

xipe posted:

if i was to interview people around me for 5, 10 20 minutes and then send it in would that be good?

any guidelines?
would my phone (maybe with one of those headset mics) be good enough quality? should i edit or at least top and tail it?

What would you be interviewing them about? What group of people would you largely be interviewing, i guess, what are the demographics of your surroundings? I want to avoid the "don't wanna be an american idiot" approach to comedy journalism, unless you're specifically going somewhere that is supposed to have political consciousness and absolutely, totally doesn't (Hamilton intermission)

I really don't know about phone recording technology. A lot of crap quality can be forgiven in the man-on-the-street context. Do a test run and see what's audible. Look up the recording consent laws (one- or two-party) in your state, don't fuck around with this although one of the reasons to stay respectful is that the strangers' consent is wayless of a problem

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
If you want i can submit a weather report for each episode. Basically Ill say what the weather is and then give the weather a grade, with the disclaimer that the weather grade is my opinion and not necessarily the views of the cohosts, and that your weather may vary
[account deactivated]
podcasts are old hat, time to record communist vr let's plays (of the left)
i did my news voice and read some of tpaine's troop news posts but it doesn't really have the right cadence for radio news. or newsradio.

(you would think tpaine would be phil hartman but no, he is dave foley)
[account deactivated]
"At least 70 of both Clinton's and Trump's campaign staff have died, and many more are hospitalized, due to fatal drug interactions following the third presidential debate Wednesday. Staffers have blamed a logistical mistake during event preparations that led to the Clinton camp's powerful amphetamines and the Trump campaign's quick release opiates being mixed together on the same serving dishes" and then a stupidly dramatic blast of news music, then the next one
keep em coming & i'll probably do it. post news u can use itt
A little dog ran around today. The dog barked and ran. It made people glad to see the dog run! The dog was excited, and wagged its tail. A boy saw the dog and laughed at the dog. It made the boy happy to see the excited dog, and being happy made the boy laugh. When the dog got tired, it stopped running and sat down. It is unknown if the dog will run around again, but locals remain hopeful. The boy would like a dog of his own if possible, and will take care of it and walk it every day.

swampman posted:

xipe posted:

any guidelines?

What would you be interviewing them about? What group of people would you largely be interviewing, i guess, what are the demographics of your surroundings? I want to avoid the "don't wanna be an american idiot" approach to comedy journalism, unless you're specifically going somewhere that is supposed to have political consciousness and absolutely, totally doesn't (Hamilton intermission)

I really don't know about phone recording technology. A lot of crap quality can be forgiven in the man-on-the-street context. Do a test run and see what's audible. Look up the recording consent laws (one- or two-party) in your state, don't fuck around with this although one of the reasons to stay respectful is that the strangers' consent is wayless of a problem

I'd be interviewing them on the types of topics you would find in posts here.... Off the top of my head: antifa guy describing state of play here, loads of housing stuff, loads of history, there are a few interesting activists or theorists I could talk to... There's a bunch of things, I'll think more on it

drwhat posted:

i did my news voice and read some of tpaine's troop news posts but it doesn't really have the right cadence for radio news. or newsradio.

(you would think tpaine would be phil hartman but no, he is dave foley)

you might get some improvement if you whack the audio quality way DOWN, the way AM news sounds

my section is coming along well. i am drawing inspiration from many sources
will the podcast be able to stand up against the fierce competition from HBO's Vice Daily News?
Didnt want to spoil anything but in order to nip that concern in the bud i can reveal i will be competing with hbo vice dailynews head on by hanging out with glenn beck at his ranch. The debates are over now of course so instead i plan to record us watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable with subtitles corrected to include the original Stand names.
ask his opinion on jotaro looking 10 years younger than he did in startdust crusaders

dipshit420 posted:

will the podcast be able to stand up against the fierce competition from HBO's Vice Daily News?

Yes

We could use one more person who is interested in doing interviews, like the kind you prepare for. I and some others can reimburse you for like, travel expenses if it's to get a great interview. Just talk 2 me
I'm going to go to George Ciccariello's book talk today. Should I give him your phone number

Edited by ilmdge ()

i'm ill equipped to participate but i am excited to listen to this when it exists

ilmdge posted:

I'm going to go to George Ciccariello's book talk today. Should I give him your phone number

Idk get your parentfuckin mic out there and ask them a question you know they never get asked but definitely have a smartass answer to

maldomuntzer posted:

what podcasts do you listen to

hi, im a new user

Welcome. I too am curious as to what podcasts y'all listen to. I mostly listen to War Nerd and Tom O'Brien. The latter can get pretty boring though with lots of eurocommunism and other academic wankery. Especially that C Derick Varn guy, he can fuck off. There's chapo traphouse too I guess but the smug is hard for me to bear.

Would love to hear a rhizzone podcast. So many posting heroes here, just to hear a couple of you would be a great joy to me.

Put Veedo Onna Phone
reminder that production values are bourgeois values
[account deactivated]
Party newspapers continue to be the only viable method of spreading news and analysis in a proletarian way, and as revolutionaries and materialists we need to be critical of the media we consume. That is why the only aural media form I consume is Central Peruvian peasant songs recorded from 1980-1992. I hope you reconsider your project swampman, or replace the entire podcast with my curated selection of revolutionary music with each episode dedicated to a different year of Presidente Gonzalo's armed struggle

pogfan1996 posted:

Party newspapers continue to be the only viable method of spreading news and analysis in a proletarian way

i think this is trotskyism

A party newspaper is horrible. The Party's newspaper, however, is immortal. Haters dont understand the difference.
tpaine's pulled pork review hour
Jimmy Dean Sausage Complaint Call
[account deactivated]