palafox posted:

TheIneff posted:
POWERFUL PALAFOX

that's right hon, i'm flexin at this keyboard (my bicep deflates, spraying onlookers in the internet cafe/hardware store i'm in with coal dust and lard and cum)

i had that happen for a few months, try switching from 5x5s to 3x8s and using dumbbells instead of plates, gl bro

big fan of 3x8s oer here
i was reading a collection of arundhati roy essays and she describes trying to view the entirety of capital "in your field of vision, is to situate yourself at the very edge of sanity, to offer yourself up for ridicule." and it reminded me of u guys ^_^
i read a short story by mo yan wherein an old grandad gets laid off but he displays entrepreneurial ingenuity by getting an old derelict bus and charging people money to have sex in it
mo yan's funny and i like him a lot, but after half of the things i've read from him i've felt like rereading william hinton so i can retreat into my self-constructed leftist echo chamber
whats a good first book for mo yan
mine was "life and death are wearing me out," which was funny and cool and a quick read, but I also liked "pow" and "sandalwood death." the first two are similarly humorous, with fuckshit (social commentary) working its way in, and the last one is full of fuckshit throughout. haven't read "Red Sorghum" yet, which i guess is supposed to be the big one? and i've been meaning to read "republic of wine," which sounds like the funniest. if you want a quick read i'd go with the first two mentioned, i guess?
hey so who wants to recommend a history of northern ireland that isnt total ulster shite?
finally read Debt 5.000. interesting book but the potshots at marxism and Graeber's irritating personality (which shines through in his writing) made me dislike it more than I should have. still worth reading probably
the one really silly marxist potshot from that book that i remember was something along the lines of ; marxists debate back and forth about if peasants are a revolutionary class, us anarchists will let them decide if they want a revolution or not.

its really interesting aside from that stuff though.
he (and all anarchists) lost me at the idea that communism already exists within capitalism, as a kind of spiritual force that is more or less present throughout different institutions and eras
im not sure that one's so bad, even just as a way of fighting the logic of There Is No Alternative. i think a more correct historical materialist view of communism can be built up afterwards with people (this is the step anarchists never get to)

speaking of spiritual force, i'm reading "the imitation of christ" right now and it's very pretty and also sorta scary. i'm also reading "orthodoxy" by chesterton because lungfish rec'd it a long time ago.
reading Stigma by Erving Goffman now too. i found out about it and a bunch of other interesting stuff in the bibliography of Being Mentally Ill by Thomas Scheff
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/07/22/shaneen-allen-race-and-gun-control/
im reading the rHizzonE
owned
the barracuda web filter
goodreads refuses to verify that i'm thomas friedmern irl
sonofabitch
i bought some Donald Goines books

A woman, if she hates her husband (and many of them do), can make life so sour and obnoxious to him that even death upon the gallows seems sweet by comparison. This hatred, of course, is often, and perhaps almost invariably, quite justified. To be the wife of an ordinary man, indeed, is an experience that must be very hard to bear.

The hollowness and vanity of the fellow, his petty meanness and stupidity, his puling sentimentality and credulity, his bombastic air of a cock on a dunghill, his anaesthesia to all whispers and summonings of the spirit, above all, his loathsome clumsiness in amour—all these things must revolt any woman above the lowest

36. The Origin of a Delusion

The origin of the delusion that the average man is a Leopold II or
Augustus the Strong, with the amorous experience of a guinea pig, is not far to seek. It lies in three factors, the which I rehearse briefly:

1. The idiotic vanity of men, leading to their eternal boasting, either
by open lying or sinister hints.

2. The notions of vice crusaders, nonconformist divines, Y. M. C. A.
secretaries, and other such libidinous poltroons as to what they would
do themselves if they had the courage.

3. The ditto of certain suffragettes as to ditto.

Here you have the genesis of a generalization that gives the less
critical sort of women a great deal of needless uneasiness and vastly
augments the natural conceit of men

She may envy her husband, true enough,
certain of his more soothing prerogatives and sentimentalities. She
may envy him his masculine liberty of movement and occupation, his
impenetrable complacency, his peasant-like delight in petty vices,
his capacity for hiding the harsh face of reality behind the cloak
of romanticism, his general innocence and childishness. But she
never envies him his puerile ego; she never envies him his shoddy and
preposterous soul.

This shrewd perception of masculine bombast and make-believe, this acute understanding of man as the eternal tragic comedian, is at the bottom of that compassionate irony which paces under the name of the maternal instinct. A woman wishes to mother a man simply because she sees into his helplessness, his need of an amiable environment, his touching self delusion.

Perhaps one of the chief charms of woman lies precisely in the fact that they are dishonorable, i.e., that they are relatively uncivilized. In the midst of all the puerile repressions and inhibitions that hedge them round, they continue to show a gipsy spirit. No genuine woman ever gives a hoot for law if law happens to stand in the way of her private interest.

If the work of the average man required half the
mental agility and readiness of resource of the work of the average
prostitute, the average man would be constantly on the verge of
starvation.

Mencken's cup runneth over with real-talk: written 96 years ago yet sounds fresher than anything being made today

not me i'm an alpha

littlegreenpills posted:

not me i'm an alpha

'yes dear'

anyone know anything dealing with de facto racial categorization in france in the 30s?

palafox posted:

anyone know anything dealing with de facto racial categorization in france in the 30s?

Well i'm not an expert but i'm assumed if you has somewhat 'French' features, people would sort of subconciously recognize that and make assumptions about your shared culture.

If you looked say, English, then their minds would associate you with a different set of mores and tastes, most often centered around the english language and perhaps that nation's literature and empire.

To use an extreme example, the French citizen of the 1930s who laid gaze upon a man with dark brown skin and black hair would typically come to the conclusion that the man was either born in Africa or to parents who had themselves come from Africa.

poltroon didnt age well as a word
HORNEY DEVILS
specific passages in paxton would be cool (i don't remember anything), but i'd love other things if anyone has any ideas
because i stopped reading at that word and scrolled down to see which goon posted that and i wasnt surprised.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

palafox posted:

Well i'm not an expert but i'm assumed if you has somewhat 'French' features, people would sort of subconciously recognize that and make assumptions about your shared culture.

If you looked say, English, then their minds would associate you with a different set of mores and tastes, most often centered around the english language and perhaps that nation's literature and empire.

To use an extreme example, the French citizen of the 1930s who laid gaze upon a man with dark brown skin and black hair would typically come to the conclusion that the man was either born in Africa or to parents who had themselves come from Africa.

thanks, do you know anything academic that fleshes this out? I'm specifically looking for things verging on the categorical (social predecessors to the legal idea of gens du voyage, for instance), like our own poltroon system.

palafox posted:

well george fredrickson wrote about it.

Poltroon Sound System, Big Ups The Plessy Massive
thanks daddyholes, this is exactly what i was looking for http://www.yale.edu/glc/events/race/Fredrickson.pdf
by the way, IWC, you may troll me down but i shall grow even more powerful
np

palafox posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

palafox posted:

thanks, do you know anything academic that fleshes this out? I'm specifically looking for things verging on the categorical (social predecessors to the legal idea of gens du voyage, for instance), like our own poltroon system.

unfortunately it was destroyed when the retreating nazis torched Paris, the French having failed to apply their racial-cognitive systems during the invasion after mistaking aggressive Germanic behaviour for boilerplate social retardation of the Dutch.

the maybe ironic but prolly sensible thing is that post wwII germans are now just benignly/covertly racist in the way of most of europe and the dutch are the closest thing there is to a literal nazi society this side of one isolated village in paraguay, or tel aviv

palafox posted:

the maybe ironic but prolly sensible thing is that post wwII germans are now just benignly/covertly racist in the way of most of europe and the dutch are the closest thing there is to a literal nazi society this side of one isolated village in paraguay, or tel aviv

it was u who just added me on FB right? if so i saw that line about what French people kept saying to you :/

yup, and the dutch were worse. the literal neonazis in prague were cooler guys, on the whole