shriekingviolet posted:

Gibbonstrength posted:

on the plane I read The Invincible and Solaris both by lem and both extremely sick, and im reading Molotov Remembers and Age of Capital by hobsbawm and also a book about unrealscript lol.

my theory on Solaris is that "solaristics" is a metaphor for experimental psychology. Both disciplines where innumerable empirical observations have lead to zero understanding of how the object (giant sea brain being/ human brain) actually works

Lem owns. Memoirs Found In A Bathtub is one of my favourite novels and anyone who has been enjoying the excellent conspiracy threads would probably get a kick out of it.

I think you're being too narrow with solaristics. imho Lem's body of work insists on the limitations of all science in general and how it is inherently valueless when it doesn't actively contribute to the genuine betterment of human beings. it's a big part of what makes lem so great, he exposes the bankruptcy of technofetishist trash. also he trolled the hell out of philip k dick and the SFWA just by existing, which is Most Excellent.

yeah tru. its still a really great fit though. like the countless hours of analysis of every little ripple and fart solaris makes, and ultimately their methods are incapable of putting together a lasting hypothesis about its nature. the solaristics scientists make up names and constructs for the planets behaviour that invariably turn out to be useless or wrong (this is psychology research in a nutshell) plus he spends half the book talking about how we should be observing our own minds rather than solaris/ "we need mirrors" etc, so i think he had this in mind at least partially

It's not really an achievement to troll Phillip K. Dick just by existing because that applies to basically every active sci-fi author in the 70s and 80s. Lem really liked Dick though (XDDDDDDDDDD) and said he was the one Western sci-fi author he thought was worth reading.
i was following up on the 1960s sagan/shklovskii book, where sagan makes badly dated fun of the soviets for doubting the big crunch, and i found this terrible paper on arxiv about soviet science and cosmology where the writer said that stalin and dialectics ruined science in the soviet union by forcing scientists to have bad and wrong opinions because communism is a dogmatic religion. then the author notes in the conclusion that soviet space science was somehow ahead of everyone else by the 1950s anyway? and also explains in the footnotes that all of the objections the particular criticized soviets raised to the big bang and the size of the universe were also raised by westerners and some of the questions remain open, but they were still wrong because communism is bad. im going to write something better
its really not hard to find terrible garbage on arxiv if you care to look
jeh blund is being published by rolling stone lmao

Gibbonstrength posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

Gibbonstrength posted:

on the plane I read The Invincible and Solaris both by lem and both extremely sick, and im reading Molotov Remembers and Age of Capital by hobsbawm and also a book about unrealscript lol.

my theory on Solaris is that "solaristics" is a metaphor for experimental psychology. Both disciplines where innumerable empirical observations have lead to zero understanding of how the object (giant sea brain being/ human brain) actually works

Lem owns. Memoirs Found In A Bathtub is one of my favourite novels and anyone who has been enjoying the excellent conspiracy threads would probably get a kick out of it.

I think you're being too narrow with solaristics. imho Lem's body of work insists on the limitations of all science in general and how it is inherently valueless when it doesn't actively contribute to the genuine betterment of human beings. it's a big part of what makes lem so great, he exposes the bankruptcy of technofetishist trash. also he trolled the hell out of philip k dick and the SFWA just by existing, which is Most Excellent.

yeah tru. its still a really great fit though. like the countless hours of analysis of every little ripple and fart solaris makes, and ultimately their methods are incapable of putting together a lasting hypothesis about its nature. the solaristics scientists make up names and constructs for the planets behaviour that invariably turn out to be useless or wrong (this is psychology research in a nutshell) plus he spends half the book talking about how we should be observing our own minds rather than solaris/ "we need mirrors" etc, so i think he had this in mind at least partially

oh yeah i agree, the weird anthropocentric assumptions that permeate everyone's work applies best to psychology, i just think it's more interesting to look at it as a critique of trying to find Meaning in any/all of the sciences.

everyone always blames dick's hate-on for lem on his mental illness but i'm pretty sure a big contributing factor was just poverty of imagination. i mean, my god, an author who writes speculative fiction, fables, AND satire? no one man should have all that power. must be a committee.

this is the best tumblr ever http://hyper-traditionalist.tumblr.com/

SO THE JEWS HAVE BEEN KICKED OUT OF EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD, AND THAT’S NOT A CONSPIRACY? SOUNDS LIKE A CONSPIRACY TO PREVENT THE CONSPIRACY OF GOVERNMENTS TO JOIN TOGETHER UNDER THE FORCE OF THE ALMIGHTY SINGULARITY. THAT SOUNDS LIKE A BIGGER CONSPIRACY.

CULTURAL MARXISTS ARE OUT OF CONTROL WITH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. THEY CLAIM BELIEVE IN TOLERANCE, BUT POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN’T SAY: DON’T SAY RACIAL SLURS; DON’T SAY HOMOPHOBIC SLURS; DON’T SAY ANTIMATTER SLURS. FEELGOOD NONSENSE!

FROM HELLENIC GREECE TO CLASSICAL ROME TO THE BRITISH EMPIRE TO NAZI GERMANY TO STALIN’S RUSSIA TO NIXON’S UNITED STATES, GREAT LEADERS HAVE COLLAPSED THE SOCIETIES THEY CONTROLLED INTO SINGULARITY.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I'm reading J. Sakai's A Talk on Security where he just goes into the many many times groups he worked with were infiltrated by cops and how they dealt with it, could be very useful around here…
got link?

Bablu posted:

got link?

it's on sale!

https://www.leftwingbooks.net/book/content/basic-politics-movement-security

today i read this http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14493a.htm

tldr; official catholic encyclopedia thinks the templar were awesome and the pope was wrong to have them all tortured into false confessions and burned at the stake
catholics better than protestants in basically every way
[account deactivated]

Agnus_Dei posted:

today i read this http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14493a.htm

tldr; official catholic encyclopedia thinks the templar were awesome and the pope was wrong to have them all tortured into false confessions and burned at the stake

they mostly blame the king of france

the 1912 catholic encyclopedia predates vatican ii, it's "official" if you're a 100 year old nazi who works for the cia

daddyholes posted:

the 1912 catholic encyclopedia predates vatican ii, it's "official" if you're a 100 year old nazi who works for the cia

that'sme

some juggalos on my goodreads had "african politics and society" listed as a want-to-read so i was like yeah maybe i'll read that looks interesting enough. so i went to amazon and some failstudent was selling his copy for $10 (it retails for $100 or something) so i bought it. anyway today they cancelled the order because he said he put the wrong price. what a crock of shit! i deserve radically discounted books.

anyway leftwingbooks dot net is having a sale and they have lots of cool shit.
also my brother-in-law asked for pandemic (a board game about surviving a global disease or whatever) so i was like hmm i'm morally opposed to games but i'll see what i can do. so i went across the street to the guy who sells new style board game and remaindered books and i was like hey give me pandemic bro, because i thought it would be nice to throw him a sale (this is petty-bourgeois thinking btw) and he looked through his whole computer system and was like ah this is out of stock everywhere. and he was like what i can do is put your name down and then email the maker of the game and ask them to let me know when a new production run comes out or whatever. and i was like naw... naw.... then i went back home and ordered the game off amazon, which was in stock, and now i will get the game in a few days. in conclusion, always trust the big bourgeoisie to deliver the goods.
On the contrary I ordered headphones from a smaller level dude and just gave him a really really hard time when they didn't get here on time, and he had to send me retail ones instead of used ones. If I ordered from amazon the price would've been higher.

Being white, articulate, and pushy can get you really far.

Themselves posted:

On the contrary I ordered headphones from a smaller level dude and just gave him a really really hard time when they didn't get here on time, and he had to send me retail ones instead of used ones. If I ordered from amazon the price would've been higher.

Being white, articulate, and pushy can get you really far.

i guess it takes all kinds, eh?

i just like when we all share stories i still buy my groceries from walmart
i still buy my groceries from walmart is the new i put my pants on one leg at a time
as a committed revolutionary i refuse to participate in the corrupt bourgeois market by never wearing pants
some juggalos on my goodreads
every day i go to work i hate my job a little less and hate my self a little more because of it
[account deactivated]
tpaine what are you doing giving presents to people
[account deactivated]
toppein is always giving, uis the gift Of his posts ??
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
are you saying we should have secret santa? because i hate secret santa. we had this weird holiday in german class where you put presents in people's shoes. and she was like hey make sure you bring some presents under $10 or whatever. so obviously i forgot and bought candy on the way to school. and everyone else bought like friggin' nice presents that were obviously more than $10 and my person got some lifesavers or whatever and got all upset. so the next year i bought a bunch of shit for the next person and they were like uhhh why'd you go overboard bro? so now i hate buying small gifts for acquaintances.
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

german isn't a class it's an ethnic group

ja, ich sprache deutsch! ich heisse donald. wie heisst du?

because of budget cuts they created a mixed grade 11 / grade 13 class which is dumb for languages so what she did is sent us older kids to this storage room with mats on the floor and we were supposed to work quietly while she was in another room teaching. it was pretty silly. so obviously instead of working quietly i just did whatever the fuck. but then we had to do a class play and i had forgotten all my german from not working quietly, so i played a texan who didn't know german, which was good enough for a B.
[account deactivated]