getfiscal posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

do lacanian psychoanalysis instead. bourgeois therapy is no good

i met with a psychoanalyst a few years ago and he said he would charge me $100 hour for a minimum four sessions per week for probably about eight years. this was his half-off discount rate for low-income people. he said that was pretty standard. i would probably not be able to get it publicly funded. (if i did it would take years of waitlists and then i'd be assigned to a random psychoanalyst who would probably not be lacanian at all. all my current therapy is free.)

i have not given up on this, though, but i think it's more likely i'll have to find a loophole as a learner or something. for example, i attended a seminar on lacan a few months ago, and talked to some people about taking a course series there. but i'm confident that there's a lot of basic work that can be done before this, just getting me to a basic level of functioning so that i can take courses or something. in the meantime i can continue to read about stuff that interests me. i have been making significant progress actually, although it doesn't really show online.

my analysis was 5 days a week for 5 years (my analyst moved before we terminated so I'm not Cured…) at $180/session so yeah that's a standard amount, but I'm pretty sure there are clinics where you can see analysts in training for free, find one near you today! http://www.apsa.org/find-an-analyst

elektrenai posted:

I'm pretty sure there are clinics where you can see analysts in training for free, find one near you today! http://www.apsa.org/find-an-analyst

i don't even think i could handle it right now, even if it were incredibly convenient and free somehow. but i will look into it more.

getfiscal posted:

my current therapist is smart. she's not letting me tell anecdotes anymore.

arguments from ones own experience are bad and reactionary arguments

elektrenai posted:

getfiscal posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

i met with a psychoanalyst a few years ago and he said he would charge me $100 hour for a minimum four sessions per week for probably about eight years. this was his half-off discount rate for low-income people. he said that was pretty standard. i would probably not be able to get it publicly funded. (if i did it would take years of waitlists and then i'd be assigned to a random psychoanalyst who would probably not be lacanian at all. all my current therapy is free.)

i have not given up on this, though, but i think it's more likely i'll have to find a loophole as a learner or something. for example, i attended a seminar on lacan a few months ago, and talked to some people about taking a course series there. but i'm confident that there's a lot of basic work that can be done before this, just getting me to a basic level of functioning so that i can take courses or something. in the meantime i can continue to read about stuff that interests me. i have been making significant progress actually, although it doesn't really show online.

my analysis was 5 days a week for 5 years (my analyst moved before we terminated so I'm not Cured…) at $180/session so yeah that's a standard amount, but I'm pretty sure there are clinics where you can see analysts in training for free, find one near you today! http://www.apsa.org/find-an-analyst

Oh my god you gave the rapist a quarter of a million dollars for no benefit. Now I'm feeling depressed for you.

swirlsofhistory posted:

elektrenai posted:

getfiscal posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

Oh my god you gave the rapist a quarter of a million dollars for no benefit. Now I'm feeling depressed for you.

i can give you the number of somebody who can help and cares for you

Damn, mine was minimum twice a week for 50 an hour. Didn't realize how good I had it. It was with a student analyst though.

elektrenai posted:

my analysis was 5 days a week for 5 years (my analyst moved before we terminated so I'm not Cured…) at $180/session

despite charging 10x more let me tell you how psychoanalysis is totally not a bourgeois discipline
i'm reading Liberalism: A Counter-History for the first time

Urbandale posted:

i'm reading Liberalism: A Counter-History for the first time

same.

[account deactivated]
congratulations on owning school
hell yeah

swirlsofhistory posted:

at least it wasn't 40 years like Woody Allen or this woman http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/magazine/08Psychoanalysis-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

i was visiting clients in jail yesterday and while perusing the jail "library" (bookshelf full of donated books, mostly trashy romance novels) i noticed a copy of imperialism, the highest stage of capitalism. i told my clients to read it and they were like, uhhhhh, ok?

TG posted:

i was visiting clients in jail yesterday and while perusing the jail "library" (bookshelf full of donated books, mostly trashy romance novels) i noticed a copy of imperialism, the highest stage of capitalism. i told my clients to read it and they were like, uhhhhh, ok?

it's really fun to donate books to prison libraries and see what does and doesn't get past the totally arbitrary censor decisions. was my second favorite part of library work (my favorite was ruthlessly applying our retention schedule to send liberal and trot bullshit straight from the shelves to the dumpster)

i remember reading a list of books you couldn't bring into canada and all the trotsky was on it. is that still the case?
hmm, I have no idea there, although the library didn't actually have any trotsky proper in it so who knows. funny that they would do that when i've never had any trouble obtaining any mao, my lenin collection etc
i donated kolyma tales to a prison books thing once lol. i actually emailed the guy who was in charge of it and he said it would probably get through.
i read a short book about lacan with badiou and roudinesco today. i mean, they were in dialogue in the book, i did not meet them today. it was fine. badiou loves math lacan and roudinesco thinks that was mostly nonsense but they don't really debate at all they just lay out their positions.
for a baby that has only gotten his lacan from zizek is there somewhere i can go to figure out what he is Real ly about?

babyhueypnewton posted:

Themselves posted:

for a baby that has only gotten his lacan from zizek is there somewhere i can go to figure out what he is Real ly about?

Ecrits. Cover 2 Cover. No Excuses.

Themselves posted:

well i'm still a beginner in a lot of ways but i think there are different ways to get into it. part of the issue is whether you are interested for lacan as a system or as a critique, or both. like roudinesco's core argument is that lacan realized at a deep level that he was trying to systematize an order which is ultimately unable to be symbolized (the real). and in this light you can see how lacan's thought has so many twists and dead ends and hints at more and such. if you emphasize this then it doesn't really matter where you start because it does not build a unified whole which you need to master.

but badiou makes the point that you can go a long way with systematizing and formalizing the shape of what you don't know. he finds the interesting thing about lacan not the lapses and failures but the fact that you can draw out so many conclusions, that lacan's antiphilosophy still has a structure which you can rigorously study. in that case you can still approach lacan as a body thought which is part of a particular historical period and all the things that go into that (freud, althusser, etc.) and sort of build up the relationships between them.

i guess it just depends on what you want it for. it's similar to marx. marx can be studied as a systematizer who came up with a certain ontology of capitalism and a new historiography and such. he provided a sense of order to the anarchy of the market. but in many ways he was critiquing the premises of political economy. his model is scientific but it makes the same point about lapses and blind spots. marx also provides an explicit antiphilosophy when he talks about how his research is aimed at practice and not system-building, in repudiation of hegelianism. but obviously he is useful as a system anyways. and you can read marxism by diving deep into history or in the inner structure of capital and such, carefully reading his works and relating them to others, or you can just read whatever and tolerate eclecticism.

personally i have a long-term project of trying to understand the systemic side, because that's what interests me, but i think ultimately you can't tie it up in a bow and call your work done.

[account deactivated]

glomper_stomper posted:

psychoanalysis is actually extremely bourgeois and dumb. if you feel the need to become some spectacle to be leered and nodded at, then it's a decent indicator that your concerns are fairly fuckin bourgeois in fact. talk to some friends, read some books but only good ones, or go the GF route and chat up some priests or whatever. your energy serves better function in beating up fascists, scoring upvotes, or murking some straight-up noobs in action half life

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

Themselves posted:

well i'm still a beginner in a lot of ways but i think there are different ways to get into it. part of the issue is whether you are interested for lacan as a system or as a critique, or both. like roudinesco's core argument is that lacan realized at a deep level that he was trying to systematize an order which is ultimately unable to be symbolized (the real). and in this light you can see how lacan's thought has so many twists and dead ends and hints at more and such. if you emphasize this then it doesn't really matter where you start because it does not build a unified whole which you need to master.

but badiou makes the point that you can go a long way with systematizing and formalizing the shape of what you don't know. he finds the interesting thing about lacan not the lapses and failures but the fact that you can draw out so many conclusions, that lacan's antiphilosophy still has a structure which you can rigorously study. in that case you can still approach lacan as a body thought which is part of a particular historical period and all the things that go into that (freud, althusser, etc.) and sort of build up the relationships between them.

i guess it just depends on what you want it for. it's similar to marx. marx can be studied as a systematizer who came up with a certain ontology of capitalism and a new historiography and such. he provided a sense of order to the anarchy of the market. but in many ways he was critiquing the premises of political economy. his model is scientific but it makes the same point about lapses and blind spots. marx also provides an explicit antiphilosophy when he talks about how his research is aimed at practice and not system-building, in repudiation of hegelianism. but obviously he is useful as a system anyways. and you can read marxism by diving deep into history or in the inner structure of capital and such, carefully reading his works and relating them to others, or you can just read whatever and tolerate eclecticism.

personally i have a long-term project of trying to understand the systemic side, because that's what interests me, but i think ultimately you can't tie it up in a bow and call your work done.

i havent really got any background in philosophy probably because i was taught basically what glomper is saying by noam chomsky. but seriously, its hard for me to think about anti philosophy because i thought most philosophers have disagreements with each other and could possibly be interpreted as anti to each other. i have looked up anti philosophy just now and it has something to do with being critical of a priori assumptions and one size fits all ethics.

when you say it doesnt matter where you start, i assume you mean reading actual lacan? reading other's interpretations of his thought adapted to things like film analysis seems like a far cry (epic video game reference) from learning the basics of what he is trying to talk about. are there any sorts of summaries of his ideas that i could look at, and it might help guide my readings thereafter?

after looking around, i found this http://www.lacanonline.com/index/2012/07/reading-lacan-where-to-start/

i play action halflife when im off work, but at work i like to perform my industrial slowdown by reading shit

[account deactivated]
maybe i should start by reading some actual philosophy but i always get a few pages in and say to myself, "i wonder what this dude's opinion on the slave trade would have been, or industrialized warfare or colonization and imperialism" and i get the feelings that glomper has

at the same time i realize marx himself was a philospher so im not necessarily closed off to the idea, i just have a hard time keeping "The Real" (lacan baby i have no idea if thats used right) out of my reading.
i think that psychoanalysis is bourgeois if you have somebody else do it (its not SNLT), if you do it yourself, its just being introspective

i say it isnt socially necessary because if its possible for you to understand principles your therapist is telling you then there's no reason you couldn't understand them yourself by reading a book or learning on your own. you might say that a therapist would be able to know which things apply to you and not, but those judgments themselves are made on principles that theoretically anybody can grasp.

that being said im a scientologist so im pretty biased on the issue
i like psychoanalysis but it's ludicrous to pretend that virtually everything in it didn't come from the lives of the bourgeoisie
i guess what im saying is i dont see a social necessity for 1 on 1 consultations. why couldn't therapy material be made available publicly? (lol capitalism) i think most people could get as much if not more value from simply watching how a therapist works with different clients instead of with them personally
[account deactivated]
“Spartacists Are Coming To Town”
(To the tune of “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”)

(Chorus)
You better be pure You better think right
You’re in trouble
If you’re not Trotskyite
Sparticists are coming to town

They’re checking you out
Making a list
Going to find every revisionist
The Sparticists are coming to town

They jeer you at your meetings
Their questions last an hour
You’re holding back the working class
Who’re about to seize state power

(Chorus)

They support martial law in Poland
They think that it is great
That the army keeps Poland
A degenerate workers’ state

(Chorus)

They go to demonstrations
They sometimes break a head
They’re trying to prove to you
That you’re better red than dead

(Chorus)

They come up with great chants
They always get a roar
Like “The Defense of the Soviet Union
Starts in Cuba and El Salvador!”
[account deactivated]
nope

Edited by TheIneff ()

been reading more about semiotics, structuralism, and post-structuralism. gonna read Bourdieu again and The Political Theory of Possessive Individualism by C.B. Macpherson. after that i'm probably going to move on to Robert Bellah, Talal Asad, and maybe Charles Taylor.

i really want to major in anthro or sociology now!