Makeshift_Swahili posted:

does anybody here know the source of Mao's "women hold up half the sky"? can't seem to find a particular source. might be an apocryphal type thing? any other stuff mao said about women/feminism would also be good.

haha i was wondering this very thing the other day and also couldn't find the original source. great minds and all that

mason & dixon is still pretty goofy when its not reminding you that miserable, brutal black slavery is the reason all of the goofy crap happens
for years I thought that book was called Son & Xon
i found out today that in recent Archie comics, Jughead says he identifies as asexual and goes on to explain what that means. news you can use.
Jeanette Winterson is a better writer than a thousand cocksure Americans put together
[account deactivated]
tell that to nemtsov
Pynchon's a bore. we covered all this 5 years ago in one of those Tom vs impper showdowns

Edited by animedad ()

actually pynchon is alright, get at me bro
Mods? these folks are reading the fiction of obscurant paranoia
pynchon has his moments that i really love but the endless trope of women falling hopelessly, helplessly for patriarchal Authority is backwards as fuk
Fuck And Destroy
Pynchon is garbo
This threads just people posting 9,001 word reviews of communist histories of grass growing alternated with someone saying they're reading fiction and someone else saying the author of that fiction sucks.
I'm re reading Anna karenina now.
Im reading mein kampf again
teh rhizzone's favorite books: the bible, mein kampf, and dialectical and historical materialism by j.v. stalin
mcrib nutrition facts
zen buddhism by dt suzuki
my favorite book is Clumsy Ninja

dank_xiaopeng posted:

pynchon has his moments that i really love but the endless trope of women falling hopelessly, helplessly for patriarchal Authority is backwards as fuk

this is a big issue for me with inherent vice. for all his energy spent on unraveling this grand pattern of economic and political influence his take on the the effects of patriarchal relations is really garbage

my favorite pynchon character is the jesuit priest who lives in a sewer and holds mass for the rats in V. its pretty ZANY!
thats so pynchon!!
Yes that was my issue with inherent vice too. Jk.

c_man posted:

this is a big issue for me with inherent vice. for all his energy spent on unraveling this grand pattern of economic and political influence his take on the the effects of patriarchal relations is really garbage

did you happen to watch the film and if so can you please explain to me why they bothered to make it?

I saw the brothers grimsby and it was better than a pynchon book

camera_obscura posted:

c_man posted:

did you happen to watch the film and if so can you please explain to me why they bothered to make it?

bc Paul Thomas Anderson is an idiot

Oh. Well. That certainly explains it. For some reason I felt like I was missing something.
my posting is unnecessarily coarse and often shuts down avenues of investigation, which isn't very Marxist of me
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I read the Crying of Lot 49. The book managed to be repetitive and unfunny while being under 200 pages. The politics of the book seemed to amount to "The world is so confusing, what's the point of doing anything?" Which is like the 15th type of liberalism. Also it had a scene that explained entropy to the reader and used its implications to attack the idea of understanding the world around us, because Thomas Pynchon is a college freshman.
just read a bunch of books on american public housing and policy ama

purging the poorest - lawrence vale
blueprint for disaster - d. bradford hunt
new deal ruins - ed goetz
clearing the way - ed goetz
public housing that worked - nicholas bloom
from the tenements to the taylor homes - various authors
rent control: yea/nay?
depends on the tenancy objectives and level of government subsidy
Lets say the objective is to kick out minorities out and bring in whites to raise property value and the level of subsidy is little/none.
looks like you're going for the hope vi solution then. solid choice.

camera_obscura posted:

yeah beyond the casting (which i thought was surprisingly good?) the movie's politics were even worse because the reasons that any of the characters do anything are all cut for time so everyone is just sort of impulsively wandering around while things happen

a political history of japanese capitalism
i read the nick srnicek book and it was ok