[account deactivated]
Get that man a thank you letter from Jodie Foster
obama and hillary's secret plan to steal the election
ive been reading wallerstein's The Modern World-System I, and it's really fun to read. he's pretty liberal in his orientation but his methodology and a large part of his interpretation is materialist and Good In My IMO. his discussion of the development the nation-state alongside international economic forces and the evolution of the relationship between these two due to these contradictions is really interesting. on the other hand he's mostly covered internal european history so far and hasn't spent much time on the non-european periphery. there's a chapter later on that seems like it should be about this but i'm still a little surprised and dismayed at how little there has been so far
i read through Andre Gunder Frank's ReORIENT: Global Economy in the Asian Age a couple years ago and while he could also be described as a world systems economist i remember him vehemently disagreeing with wallerstein over the idea of multiple late antiquity/medieval world systems that coalesced in one during the early modern period. in frank's view there was only ever one world system throughout the history of civilization, and it was predominately centered on china (which historically had more people in its borders than all of europe). european adventures in trade and expansion were almost universally focused on closing the distance between themselves (the far western periphery) and china, culminating in the discoveries and super-exploitation of the 'emptying' american continent.

american gold and silver then let european traders buy their way into the east asian markets, and europe as a whole used this newfound wealth to develop technologies for a capital-rich, labor-dear environment. this led directly to the industrial revolution and the development of arms to the point where europe could, by force, wrest the reins of global trade away from china.

it was pretty convincing, but a knew a lot less about world history when I read it and he might have overplayed his evidence or misrepresented wallerstein's arguments.

Edited by Scrree ()

c_man posted:

ive been reading wallerstein's The Modern World-System I, and it's really fun to read. he's pretty liberal in his orientation but his methodology and a large part of his interpretation is materialist and Good In My IMO. his discussion of the development the nation-state alongside international economic forces and the evolution of the relationship between these two due to these contradictions is really interesting. on the other hand he's mostly covered internal european history so far and hasn't spent much time on the non-european periphery. there's a chapter later on that seems like it should be about this but i'm still a little surprised and dismayed at how little there has been so far

Well, you have to scavenge the good bits and leave the bad bits when you are engaging with a work like that. At least you're getting something from it and can supplement it with other knowledge, yknow?

The last book I read was Red Dwarf. This is only the second fiction book I have read in a good many years. My friend showed me most seasons of the show on rabb.it and I was really into it. Then she recommended me the novel. It was even better than I could have guessed! I don't want to spoil the whole thing, but let me say a few things that I like about it. Number one has to be its very unique take on sci fi. In contrast to so many works that look to the skies for saviors, Red Dwarf features a universe completely barren of any alien life. Everything that occurs outside the forces of nature itself is a consequence of our actions. The end of all life itself comes as a consequence of a society that never abandons class stratification or corporate domination. All of the other life forms, all of the robots, all of the spaceships and populated planets, all of the hellish escapist mindtraps, all of these come directly from the consequences of our actions. The writing is very funny and the pacing is marvelously brisk. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and... it made me think. Thank you for reading my book report.

realsubtle posted:

Well, you have to scavenge the good bits and leave the bad bits when you are engaging with a work like that. At least you're getting something from it and can supplement it with other knowledge, yknow?

i love too synthesize and resolve contradictions of a multiplicity of informative sources

Hello Réa L'Subtle.
Hi getfiscal!
[account deactivated]
Hell yeah brother... deathfat jdpon or bust

Edited by drwhat ()

thirdplace posted:

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/758995007806124036

lol maybe sam kriss is actually good

sam kriss isn't the aspiring hipster pundit we need, but he's probably better than what we deserve

thirdplace posted:

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/758995007806124036

@sam_kriss yes, Phil is a lunatic who threatened to target my family. You on the other hand are a mainstream leftist commentator

haha

i told you we could look forward to his support for assad. because he's not going to be allowed to deny having it.
it's like that book, sam, Lean In.
All this was symbolized at the very end of the conference. As everyone was getting ready to leave, Zizek asked us to all stand up and sing “The Internationale”. Almost nobody did (there were a few people in one corner singing it, but they couldn’t be heard above the general hubbub). In my case — and I suspect this held for a large majority of the hundreds of people in the auditorium — I would have liked to sing “The Internationale”, but I couldn’t — because, although I am vaguely familiar with the melody, I do not know the words.

http://www.shaviro.com/Blog/?p=732

Zizek may be a liberal but he's a great troll.
I know BlinkandWheeze talked about Quentin Meillassoux a long time ago, but has anyone read Bruno Latour or Graham Harman? I think Actor Network Theory and Object oriented ontology are really interesting if we can recover them from bourgeois academia though obviously I know almost nothing about them.
[account deactivated]
I vaguely used to follow that Itself wordpress blog, but nobody in my circles talks about OOO philosophy anymore ever since politics happened again and the Syrian civil war began etc.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
https://medium.com/@raestory_23524/the-husband-who-uses-prostitutes-64f146ed9503#.kddoz1a6r

babyhueypnewton posted:

I know BlinkandWheeze talked about Quentin Meillassoux a long time ago, but has anyone read Bruno Latour or Graham Harman? I think Actor Network Theory and Object oriented ontology are really interesting if we can recover them from bourgeois academia though obviously I know almost nothing about them.

they suck imo

babyhueypnewton posted:

Zizek may be a liberal but he's a great troll.

Just finished reading his latest, amazing, super pro level troll, that I guess everyone on the internet who cares has already seen, but I hadn't, and everyone on twitter is MAD. Big success:

http://thephilosophicalsalon.com/the-sexual-is-political/

So what is “transgenderism”?

Consequently, there is only one solution to this deadlock, the one we find in another field of disposing waste, that of trash bins. Public trash bins are more and more differentiated today. There are special bins for paper, glass, metal cans, cardboard package, plastic, etc. Here already, things sometimes get complicated. If I have to dispose of a paper bag or a notebook with a tiny plastic band, where does it belong? To paper or to plastic? No wonder that we often get detailed instruction on the bins, right beneath the general designation: PAPER–books, newspapers, etc., but NOT hardcover books or books with plasticized covers, etc. In such cases, proper waste disposal would have taken up to half an hour or more of detailed reading and tough decisions. To make things easier, we then get a supplementary trash bin for GENERAL WASTE where we throw everything that did not meet the specific criteria of other bins, as if, once again, apart from paper trash, plastic trash, and so on, there is trash as such, universal trash.

Should we not do the same with toilets?

it doesn't matter how many times i read it, i laugh my fucking head off every time. twitter is a wildfire

[account deactivated]
the use of toilet as a synecdoche for the entire room will never stop bein funny to my dumb ass
for the record i think he believes it too, sincerely, but it is such tone deaf firestarter material that i couldn't help but laugh
i don't think sam is on the pro level to replace zizek yet but give the guy some time.
Not loving the new Zizek
The book i finished recently is Speculum of the Other Woman by Luce Irigaray, and it was good but I think the Freud half was a lot better than the Plato half.
who's read more than a sentence of zizek without their eyes glazing over. noone cool thats who

littlegreenpills posted:

who's read more than a sentence of zizek without their eyes glazing over. noone cool thats who

thats why i still havent finished my effortpost. im still recovering from the exhaustion of actually reading all of his terrible refugee crisis book

i used to read a lot of zizek a long long time ago and his stuff on movies is still fun if wrong.
also, i read sam kriss.
i read all of parallax view and i dont recommend it
"read"

aerdil posted:

i read all of parallax view and i dont recommend it

maybe read it again now that you're older and see if you can appreciate it from a different angle? :tongue: